Rank Tannehill's Arm Strength, is it top 10? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rank Tannehill's Arm Strength, is it top 10?

I think people start compiling these lists and always manage to confuse skill with strength. Rodgers is a great QB but he doesn't have a great arm.

Can't say where Ryan ranks amongst his peers......all I know is that he has looked perfectly capable of making every throw.

you obviously haven't watched Rodgers at all. he has a God Darn howitzer for an arm. besides arm strength is overrated. nobody ever accused montana of having a cannon. like was said before accuracy and timing trumps arm strength. ryan leaf had a big arm how did that work out

---------- Post added at 04:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:46 PM ----------

Arm strength to the point of?

I can't think of any starting NFL QB that can't throw a 60 yard bomb. It's more about touch and timing.

christian ponder! ponder makes pennington look like elway.

you obviously haven't watched Rodgers at all. he has a God Darn howitzer for an arm. besides arm strength is overrated. nobody ever accused montana of having a cannon. like was said before accuracy and timing trumps arm strength. ryan leaf had a big arm how did that work out

---------- Post added at 04:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:46 PM ----------

christian ponder! ponder makes pennington look like elway.

Good points and I agree with most. But timing and accuracy can sometimes be taken away by great Defenses.
Having a cannon arm, that can squeeze throws into tight windows, gives a huge edge in that regard.
Look at Pennington for example, great accuracy. A wr may be open when Pennington begins his throw.
But by the time the ball reaches it's target, the defender has closed the gap considerably, leading to an incomplete pass or no run after the catch opportunity.

Of course, having a cannon doesn't solve accuracy issues.

RT has a live arm -- much better than Matt Ryan, that's for sure. However, he doesn't have as strong an arm as Flacco.

What he DOES have is a quick release and an excellent arm -- plenty good enough to throw downfield deep. Watch game tape on him, and look at how many times he's throwing downfield to WRs that are slower than the DBs -- yet he almost always puts it to where the WR or no-one can make the catch [most often incomplete, due to extremely slowfooted WRs, or, in the case of a faster WRs, dropped balls or otherwise incomplete].

One thing I noticed, however, is that Tanny couldn't always step into his throws due to poor OL play and/or sprint outs... he most always still have enough on the ball to make the completion or give it a chance to be completed.

LD

I'll take Kaepernick's fastball over any of those,except maybe Rodgers'!!!

Kaepernick has a major fastball, HOWEVER, he also has a major windup and slow release to go with it.

Good thing the read/option usually buys him extra time -- along w. the far and away best OL in the game. Otherwise that slow release would cost him some bigtime hits.

LD

Jamarcus = #1

This just goes to show, you can have the arm, but if you don't have the smarts to play in the NFL you won't last very long.

As far as Tannehill, he's got quite an arm and seems to have the smarts, we just need to get him some more explosive and consistent tools to work with.

There is only one way to test arm strength.
9k=

If QB was measured by arm strength then Jamarcus Russel and Jeff George would be Canton bound. Joe Montana, Tom Brady, Steve Young don't/didn't have great arms and they came out just fine.

As far as pure arm strength right now I'm thinking Flacco, Stafford, Vick, Cutler, Newton, Kap are top five. Rothesberger, Freeman, Rogers. RT, RG3 are in the 2nd 5 discussion.

Tannehill has a strong arm, no doubt. He could lay the ball up for Wallace to run under probably 70 yards in the air. If the line can keep him upright that long then the receiver should have created separation long before that. So, no issue with arm strength down field. In fact, the toughest arm throws are the outs to the far side of the field which is Tannehill's bread and butter.

But if I had to rate arm strength, here would be my roughest of guesses off the top of my head.

1. Flacco
2. Stafford
3. Newton
4. Rivers
5. Cutler
6. Kaepernick
7. Ryan
8. Rogers
9. Rothlisberger (so?)
10. RGIII

So strong armed guys like Tannehill, Freeman, Weedon, and maybe Palmer are all vying for spots 7-10 with the guys listed.

Notice that Brady, Peyton, Eli, Brees, Luck, Wilson and several other good QB's aren't even in the top 15 of arm strength. Only Peyton really has any issues slinging the ball deep, and Thomas and Decker seemed to do just fine with him.

Arm strength is fun to watch, but is very overrated as a QBtalent.

That must be a typo -- 4. Rivers?? A strong arm has never been something Phillip Rivers has had.

It is close. I think RT has a stronger arm then some on that list. He should be at least top 13. Couple years top 3. He has the arm to thread the needle. When I watched him in college I was like damn we need a guy like that. I picked him at #8

tannehill's arm is not among the elite arms but he can make all the throws, definately not noodle armed

Back
Top Bottom