Rank The AFC East Postion by Postion!! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rank The AFC East Postion by Postion!!

DolfanISS

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
Here's mine:

Here's my rankings:

QB
NE - Anyone who thinks Brady is average has below average knowledge of football.
NY - The Jets are so much better when this kid is healthy.
Mia - Feeley Smeeley, Fiedler will start and he's not that bad. Just ask the Bills.
Buf - Bledsoe still has talent but it seems like everything needs to be perfect or he is useless. If there is any distress he is terrible.

RB
Mia - How people can argue with 4500 yards in the last 3 seasons is beyond me. What Ricky has down with the piss poor excuse of an O-line Miami has is unbelievable.
Buf - Henry is excellent and McGahee could be a diamond in the rough. Nice situation in Buffalo.
NE - Only because Curtis Martin is getting up there in age but belive he was as good if not better than Dillion. Remember folks even when healthy Rudi Johnson was seeing just as much playing time if not more than Dillion did.
NY - Curtis Martin is by no means a slouch and believe me I still worry about him every time Miami faces the Jets. He's getting older and the division is stacked at the RB spot.

WR
NE - Screw the names collectively these guys just flat out get it done. It just seems like every time the Pats are in trouble one of there 4 WR's (Brown, Branch, Givens or Johnson) are found wide open.
Buf - Moulds is still the class of the division I'm not that high on Josh Reed but wanted Miami to draft Lee Evans. I put Buffalo second becuase of depth (Moulds, Reed, Evans and Shaw)
Mia - It's my biased opinion that Chambers and Boston could end up being the best WR duo in the leauge. Let's face it dolfans outside of them 2 nobody has shown us anything that would lead us to believe they were any good.
NY - Santana Moss is awesome and Justin McCareins and Wayne Chrebet aren't bad either. There is not much difference between Buff, Mia and NY at WR except maybe an elite player.

TE
NE - Depth!!! Typical Pats 53 good players.
Mia - McMichael is the best TE in the division.
NY - Becht at least has a shot to get drafted in Fantasy Football.
Buf - None of their TE's will make a Fantasy roster.

OL
NE - These guys get it done when it counts
NY - Traditionally has a good O-line that give Pennington plenty of time.
Buf - Seems like they can run block pretty well but can't pass block to save their lives.
Mia - Horrible last year seems like they could pass block a little but couldn't run block themselves out of a wet paper bag. Should be better in 2004 but that's not saying all that much.

DL
Mia - Hands down very stout vs the run (didn't allow a 100 yard rucher in 2003) and best pass rushing duo in the NFL.
NE - Tons of talent up front and Willie McGinest seemed to have a career year in 2003. Seymour, Warren and now Willfork will be fixtures on the NE line for years to come.
NY - A talented group with a premeir pass rusher and 2nd year player who could blossom in 2004.
Buf - Adams and Williams are getting old but I like Scheobel quite a bit. Who is their other DE????

LB
NE - Bruschi, Johnson, Vrabel, Colvin, Phifer and sometimes McGinest gives the Pats 6 threats at LB. Best LB corp in the NFL.
Buf - As much as a hate to admit it Spikes and Fletcher are great and Posey is pretty good also. Probably the best starting 3 in the division but lack the depth of NE.
Mia - Thomas has fantastic football instincts which make up for his lack of size, strength and speed. He has been a tackling machine and perennial probowler for awhile now. Seau's still pretty good and was a HUGE upgrade over Derrick Rodgers. Greenwood is solid but I'd love to see Eddie Moore in passing situations in 2004.
NY - Cowart is stout and Vilma should make an immediate impact. Again the Jets get snubbed because the division is stacked at LB.

DB's
NE - After watching the Super Bowl I'll give other AFC East teams some advice. Throw at Eugene Wilson early and often and if Law doesn't play this guy could be a liabilty back there. The safties are solid especially with old man Harrison lurking back there.
Mia - I'll take "overrated" Madison over anybody the Bills or Jets have to offer and Surtain is in Law's league. Knight is always around the Football and the Starting FS of the Miami Dolhins will be settled in camp.
Buf - Clements is very good and vincent, even at 31, was a nice addition to a team that has to face Brady, Chambers, Boston and Moss, McCareins and Pennington twice a year.
NY - Abraham and Henderson aren't bad just the worst in this division.

ST
NE
Mia
NY
Buf

Coaching
NE - Best staff in the NFL
NY - Have great respect for Herm Edwards
Buf - New Staff
Mia - Most scrutinized staff in the NFL

TEAM RANKINGS
NE
Mia
Buf
NY
But it's May!!!

Ok, I'll give this a try.

QB
NE: Brady is the best QB in the NFL when a game is on the line
NY:pennington has been good, but nothing great in my opinion.
Buff: Bledsoe is a shell of his old self, but atleast hes the defenite starter and the Bills have a nice young prospect developing behind him in J.P Losman.
Fins: Fiedler is average and Feeley is unproven. We dont even know who will start.

RB
Fins: Ricky is great, but a tad overrated in Miami. Top 5 in the NFL for now, but the way he plays I expect him to have a short career.
NE:Im a big fan of Dillion. He'll finally have his chance to get alot of carries for a competitive team and I think hell succeed.
Buff: Henry is a decent back and Mcgahee could be something special if hes healthy.
NY: Curtis Martin is still a good back (probably better then Henry). But Martin is getting old and I dont think Lamont Jordan is that great.

WR
Buff:Moulds is a stud. Evans should be a stud. And Josh Evans is one of the best 3rd recievers in the NFL.
NY: Moss was very good this year and should only get better. Mccareins is a good #2 and Waybe Chrbet is Mr. Reliable.
Fins:Boston and Chambers has the potential to be the best receiver pair in the NFL. But other then them, this unit is extremely unproven.
NE: I think system has alot to do with their WRs success. Troy Brown is good but hes getting old. And the rest of the recievers are undersized and no better then #3s.

TE
Fins: Mcmichael is awesome and young. Donald Lee is a good #2 TE.
NE: Ben Watson could be the steal of the draft and they still have Daniel Graham from just a couple years ago.
NY: Anthony Becht has been decent but still hasnt lived up to his 1st rd. pick pedigree.
Buff: LOL, I dont know anyone on their roster either.

OL
NE: No big name guys, but great coaching and great chemistry helps this unit get the job done.
Fins: Miami has had a bad line for a few years but theyve made alot of upgrades and should be much better this year. This line actually had a few good games this year.
NY: Used to be good, but last year were actually pretty bad. Alot of overrated, overpayed guys on this line. And not many upgrades this offseason.
Buff: Bledsoe is not as bad as he looked this year. This line is terrible and as far as I know there have been no significant additions to it this offseason.

DL
NE: Fins get the stats, but the Pats get the job done. Probably one of the deepest DLs in the NFL.
Fins: Great DE duo, and pretty good DTs. Depth is good also. I just dont think its better then the world champion's unit.
NY: Alot of potential on this line. Were ok this past year but could improve alot.
Buff: No pass rush and old DTs. Nough said.

LBs
NE: The sick thing about this unit is that they were awesome last year and their best player didnt even play most of the season.
Buff: Great starting LBs but not so sure about the depth.
NY: Cowart is still a pretty good LB and theyve added alot of young talent to this unit.
Fins: Seau and Thomas are very overrated IMO. Greenwood is solid but nothing special. Alot of potential on the bench though.

DBs
Fins: Cant beat Miamis depth this year. If we can figure out a decent starting FS we may have the best secondary in the NFL.
NE: Law is the best in the NFL. Very good safeties.
Buff: Very young and talented unit, may blossom into 1 of the best.
NY: Pretty slow unit. Starters are average, and not so sure about depth.

Coaching
NE: Best coaching in the NFL
NY: Edwards is a master motivator. Terrible o-coordinator.
Buff: Staff is brand new I guess. Cant really judge yet.
Fins: OH BOY!

agree with most. But Bledsoe is better than Feeley and Feidler. and Brady is average. luck goes a long way

QB
NE - Tom Brady, as much as I hate to admit it, has a decent arm and an amazing football mind (decision-making abilities in particular)
NY - The Jets are so much better when this kid is healthy.
Buf - Bledsoe gets this spot on name recognition alone...if he has better coaches (which anyone was better than their last staff), he will be a decent QB again...
Mia - I'd rather have any of the guys above than Feeley or Fiedler....

RB
Mia - Ricky Williams is a workhorse and hopefully will have a better performing O-line to exhibit his skills
Buf - Henry needs to stay healthy and is one tough SOB, McGahee will pick up the slack if Henry goes down. Henry deserves a lot more credit than he gets.
NE - NE's three-headed monster of Cloud, Faulk, and Smith were efficient last year, now they have Corey Dillion....the only reason they are ranked third is because we havent seen if the change of scenery for Corey Dillion works out. IF it does, look out.
NY - Curtis Martin is way past his prime, and LaMont Gordon does show promise, but i dont see any run damage being done on any of the other AFC east defenses.

WR
NY - Santana Moss picked the wrong year to emerge as a big-play WR with Pennington going down. CAn you imagine what Moss could do with Pennington throwing him the ball for a full season. Possession reciever Wayne Chrebet and Justin McCareins will be very effective for the Jets offense this year.
NE - This no-name group of Wide Recievers are effective, but dont get the top spot becuase they are a product of an incredible system. Just wait until this system gets some big time players in there, it would be scary.
Buf - It's a toss-up between Miami and Buffalo for the 3rd spot. That's only because Eric Moulds had a nightmare year with the injuries. How effective will he be coming back? Lee Evans will bolster depth at that position as well.
Mia - On paper this is the #1 starting WR corps, period. However, David Boston is already creating a negative stir. If he can be effective and Feeley or Fiedler can deliver, this will be a dangerous corps of WRs. Derrius Thompson was considered starter material last year, and that didnt pan out, he may be able to cause some damage in the slot this year.

TE
NE - Fauria and Graham are a big part of the Patriot's offense. Two starting-caliber TEs.
Mia - McMichael is the best TE in the division, but needs to show it, Donald Lee had some bright spots last year. Look for him to play a bigger part this season.
NY - Anthony Becht is a solid contributor.
Buf - Weak position for the Bills

OL
NE - Can the Patriots make up for the absence of Damien Woody...they seemed to do just fine in the super bowl.
NY - This line continues to get older but is still solid, led by pro bowler C Kevin Mawae.
Buf - Great run blocking team that needs to learn pass protection technique.
Mia - The line was flat out terrible, veterans such as Tim Ruddy and Todd Perry were thrown around like rag dolls. Solid RT Todd Wade is no longer with the team. Is Jeno James the answer at one guard? Is draft pick Vernon Carey an answer for a guard or tackle spot? Too many questions on the line for this team.

DL
Mia - Tim Bowens has de-ballooned for now, Larry chester is coming back as a beast, and theres Pro-Bowler Jason Taylor. EVen if Wally Ogunleye is not a dolphin come next season, tehy are in good shape.
Buf - Sam Adams had a year that exceeded expectations for his age and his physical ability. Aaron Schobel is a force.
NY - If DeWayne Robertson matures, this line would be pretty good.
NE - They are last because there's no more Ted Washington, he was ther eason why teams couldnt run on the patriots. Let's see what Vince Wilfork can do.

LB - most talent-laden position in the AFC East
Buf - The anchor of the buffalo defense is their linebacking corps. Posey, Spikes, and Fletcher are quite the combo.
NE - With the Belichek 3-4 defense, this Linebacking corp had a stellar year and they will be back next year. With roosevelt Colvin returning too.
Mia - Zach Thomas, will showing little signs of decline, is still a top 5 middle linebacker in the NFL, which is flat out amazing. Junior Seau is now in his second year in the Dolphins defensive system. Look for him to be more effective as he still has enough tools left to be an impact player.
NY - This was the weak spot last year for the jets, as they had a bunch of geriatrics in their linebacking corps. Sam Cowart and Jonathan Vilma will be impact players.

DB's
Mia - The only liability in the starting DBackfield is Arturo Freeman, and now he should be more comfortable back there than he was 2 years ago. the acquisitions of Antuan Edwards, Tyrone Poole, and Reggie Howard bolster the depth.
Buf - Acquiring Troy vincent was a lateral move when they let Antoine Winfield go, but that aside, Vincent is still a great corner. Nate Clements is a solid player as well.
NE - Will Ty Law be back? If he isnt, look for this to hurt the patriots. Before you give me the example of Lawyer Milloy, im sure losing Ty Law will be devestating. If Ty is back, the Patriots will have another solid year in the defensive backfield, if not....just average.
NY - This is a solid DBackfield that lacks depth.

ST
NY - Santana Moss back there, be very afraid
NE - Vinatieri anyone?
Buf - They arent anything special, just better than Miami
Mia - when was the last time u seen anything special about special teams?

Coaching
NE - How does he do it?
NY - Not much Herm could do when he has Vinny Testaverde as his QB last year
Buf - New Staff, but cant be worse than the dolphins staff..
Mia - Do I need to elaborate?

fantasticfins said:
agree with most. But Bledsoe is better than Feeley and Feidler. and Brady is average. luck goes a long way

Brady is much better than average (and as a die-hard Dolfan I HATE saying that, lol). He may not be the most physically talented guy out there, but hes a very smart and accurate QB who manages the game well and can make big plays when he needs to. Thats the kind of QB I hope AJ Feely will become (and I have a feeling he will).

fantasticfins said:

Bledsoe once was better than Fiedler, I agree. Now? I don't think so. Fiedler is the better QB currently.

I do agree that Brady is average, maybe a bit better than average. But I wouldn't even put him in the top 5 in the NFL. He's good, not great. After the Patsies Superbowl victory, I was hearing his name mentioned in the same sentence as Dan Marino. That's so absurd it's disgusting.

i liked the first guy's post the best...as much as i wanted to disagree with it, the more i had to face that its true and we arent that great :)

one more thing: not only did we not allow a 100yd rusher, if im not mistaken, we didnt even allow a 90yd rusher...i think the most was 89yd by j. lewis

KillerJosh373 said:
Ok, I'll give this a try.

QB
NE: Brady is the best QB in the NFL when a game is on the line
NY:pennington has been good, but nothing great in my opinion.
Buff: Bledsoe is a shell of his old self, but atleast hes the defenite starter and the Bills have a nice young prospect developing behind him in J.P Losman.
Fins: Fiedler is average and Feeley is unproven. We dont even know who will start.

RB
Fins: Ricky is great, but a tad overrated in Miami. Top 5 in the NFL for now, but the way he plays I expect him to have a short career.
NE:Im a big fan of Dillion. He'll finally have his chance to get alot of carries for a competitive team and I think hell succeed.
Buff: Henry is a decent back and Mcgahee could be something special if hes healthy.
NY: Curtis Martin is still a good back (probably better then Henry). But Martin is getting old and I dont think Lamont Jordan is that great.

WR
Buff:Moulds is a stud. Evans should be a stud. And Josh Evans is one of the best 3rd recievers in the NFL.
NY: Moss was very good this year and should only get better. Mccareins is a good #2 and Waybe Chrbet is Mr. Reliable.
Fins:Boston and Chambers has the potential to be the best receiver pair in the NFL. But other then them, this unit is extremely unproven.
NE: I think system has alot to do with their WRs success. Troy Brown is good but hes getting old. And the rest of the recievers are undersized and no better then #3s.

TE
Fins: Mcmichael is awesome and young. Donald Lee is a good #2 TE.
NE: Ben Watson could be the steal of the draft and they still have Daniel Graham from just a couple years ago.
NY: Anthony Becht has been decent but still hasnt lived up to his 1st rd. pick pedigree.
Buff: LOL, I dont know anyone on their roster either.

OL
NE: No big name guys, but great coaching and great chemistry helps this unit get the job done.
Fins: Miami has had a bad line for a few years but theyve made alot of upgrades and should be much better this year. This line actually had a few good games this year.
NY: Used to be good, but last year were actually pretty bad. Alot of overrated, overpayed guys on this line. And not many upgrades this offseason.
Buff: Bledsoe is not as bad as he looked this year. This line is terrible and as far as I know there have been no significant additions to it this offseason.

DL
NE: Fins get the stats, but the Pats get the job done. Probably one of the deepest DLs in the NFL.
Fins: Great DE duo, and pretty good DTs. Depth is good also. I just dont think its better then the world champion's unit.
NY: Alot of potential on this line. Were ok this past year but could improve alot.
Buff: No pass rush and old DTs. Nough said.

LBs
NE: The sick thing about this unit is that they were awesome last year and their best player didnt even play most of the season.
Buff: Great starting LBs but not so sure about the depth.
NY: Cowart is still a pretty good LB and theyve added alot of young talent to this unit.
Fins: Seau and Thomas are very overrated IMO. Greenwood is solid but nothing special. Alot of potential on the bench though.

DBs
Fins: Cant beat Miamis depth this year. If we can figure out a decent starting FS we may have the best secondary in the NFL.
NE: Law is the best in the NFL. Very good safeties.
Buff: Very young and talented unit, may blossom into 1 of the best.
NY: Pretty slow unit. Starters are average, and not so sure about depth.

Coaching
NE: Best coaching in the NFL
NY: Edwards is a master motivator. Terrible o-coordinator.
Buff: Staff is brand new I guess. Cant really judge yet.
Fins: OH BOY!

Now this is about how I would have had it. The only changes I would make to this one is OL and LBs. OL is about playing together as a unit and we only have one guy back from last year. I think our OL has to be last until proven. As for our LBs, I think Zack and Jr are the smartest pair in the league. They may not be great in pass coverage, but vs the run they are awesome. They read plays faster than the coaches on the sideline. Greenwood fails to make plays but has speed and can tackle. I think we should be 2nd. JMO

QB:
NE Brady is overrated but is still the best in the division
NY Pennington is a close second. If Brady was on the Jets I think his production would be similar to Pennington's, and their win totals would be similar as well.
BUF Bledsoe sucked last year but he's still better then anything the Dolphins have
MIA We don't know who our starter is, and neither QB is as good as any of the other starters in the division.

RB:
MIA Ricky is the best RB in the division.
BUF Henry is solid and McGahee has potential.
NE Dillon is a good back but his attitude problems may hold him back.
NY Martin is aging, and Jordan is a solid backup.

WR:
MIA If Boston is healthy, no team in the division has better starters then us.
BUF Moulds is a very good WR. Lee Evans probably won't start this year but should contribute. Might have problems at #2 WR, but they have some guys (Reed, Shaw) who can contribute and have a solid #1
NE Has better depth at the position then Miami, but none of their receivers are as good as either of Miami's starters.
NY Moss is good, and McCareins should be decent for them as well. Overall they aren't as good at the position as any other teams in the division.

TE:
MIA McMichael is the best TE in the division. Lee is a solid backup.
NE Lots of depth, but no TE as good as McMichael
NY Becht is ok
BUF Nothing

OL:
NE A solid line overall
NY Has some good players like Mawae and McKenzie
BUF Good at run blocking, not so good at pass blocking.
MIA Could be really good, or could be awful. Only one starter has returned from last year's offensive line. Adding some solid talent, but chemistry could be a problem.

DL:
MIA Taylor is easily the best DE in the division. Ogunleye is awesome as well, and if he doesn't come back, Miami is still best at DE in the division. Solid DTs in Chester and Bowens
BUF Good DTs in Adams and Williams. Schobel got over 10 sacks last season. Has problems opposite Schobel
NY Robertson needs to improve. Has a solid pass rush
NE: Seymour is a very good player. Has a hole at NT without Washington and needs Wilfork to step up and have a good rookie season. Has depth at the position.

LB:
BUF Fletcher and Spikes make Buffalo the best at the position
NE Is very good overall at the position
MIA Thomas and Seau are good but aging.
NY Needs Vilma to have a good rookie season. Not very good at the position.

DB:
MIA The best CBs in the divison in Surtain and Madison, and good depth at the position as well. Sammy Knight is a playmaker at SS. Freeman is a question mark.
NE Will not be good without Ty Law. They play well very well as a unit but the talent isn't great. Not as talented at the position as Buffalo, but is above them because they will play better.
BUF Clements and Vincent are a good combo. Milloy is a very good S as well.
NY Yeah, the Jets suck here, too.

ST:
NE Good kicker, Johnson is a good returner.
NY Not that good at kicking or punting, Moss can return though.
MIA Good kicker, below average punter who is highly overrated at Finheaven, has question marks at returner.
BUF Bad overall special teams.

COACHING:
NE Bellichick is the best coach in the league, has good coordinators as well.
NY Edwards is the second best coach in the division. Nothing else stands out here.
BUF Mularky wasn't a great hiring. Has some solid position coaches
MIA Wannstedt sucks. Huge problems at OC. Has an average, unimaginative DC. Has good position coaches espicially on offense.

Overall:
NE
MIA
BUF
NY

Good topic. :D

Quarterbacks
==========
1. NY Jets - With WR J. McCarrriens and WR S. Moss, Pennington wins.
2. New England - T. Brady has the best consistancy. Very accurate passer.
3. Miami - M. Trestman has done well with Fiedler. He looks more confident.
4. Buffalo - Bledsoe could end up #1, if the OL can protect him. Big if. :eek:

Runningbacks
==========
1. Miami - RB R. Williams is a monster. Can break 2000 with better OL....
2. Buffalo - Two headed monster in Buffalo this year. Could be dangerous.
3. New England - RB C. Dillion was a nice addition. Upgrade.
4. NY Jets - Nothing wrong with C. Martin and L. Jordan. Very solid IMO....

Wide Receivers
===========
This was a tough decision, and it's a little early to predict. The Bills, Phinz, and Jets all have new players coming in at the #2 WR position. Once the Pre-season ges underway, it will come clear as to which duo is the most dangerous. Here's how it looks right now IMO....

1. NY Jets - MaCarriens / Moss is a very dangerous duo. Looks tough...
2. New England - Not very flashy, but highly productive corps.
3. Miami - If Boston shows, Miami could move up fast.
4. Buffalo - If Evans can play above his rookie status, the Bills have geat duo.

Tight End
=======
1. Miami
2. NY Jets
3. NE
4. Buffalo

Offensive Line
===========
Still early, and changes have been made throughout the division....

1. New England - Still the best group IMO. Very solid depth too....
2. NY Jets - They aways field a solid OL.
3. Miami - A young, hungry group. Will grow into solid unit.
4. Buffalo - Solid run blocking, horrible pass protection. Could improve.

Defensive Line
===========
1. Miami - The O-Gun / Taylor combo is tops. Watch out for Chester in 2004.
2. New England - Should be in decent shape with Wifork / Traylor.
3. NY Jets - If Evans and Robertson step up, Ellis will do the rest....
4. Buffalo - No additions at DE = No pass rush in Buffalo. Weak. :shakeno:

Linebackers
=========
1. New England - They make the Pats defense tough. Very active group.
2. Buffalo - The best part of the Bills defense. Very solid group.
3. Miami - Thomas and Seau are very good. Greenwood still growing...
4. NY Jets - Not bad. The new additions will make them better....

Secondary
=========
1. Miami - The additions of Howard, Edwards, and Poole are awesome. :eek:
2. New England - Very solid. If T. Law returns, Pats are in great shape...
3. Buffalo - Lost Winfield, added Vincent. Not bad, but downgraded IMO...
4. NY Jets - They've got trouble IMO. Not very intimidating at all...

Special Teams
===========
1. NY Jets
2. New England
3. Miami
4. Buffalo

Coaching
=======
1. New England - No comment needed. :(
2. NY Jets - Herm is a master motivator. :evil:
3. Miami - Dave is still averaging 10 wins a season. :rolleyes:
4. Buffalo - Rookie HC in Mularkey. Unknown. :shakeno: