Reggie Bush and the Ahmad Bradshaw effect. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Reggie Bush and the Ahmad Bradshaw effect.

Ricky Williams. I know he flamed out but he was one of the best players in the entire league in 2002 when we traded for him. He carried the entire offense. Reggie Bush is a guy that was benched at times last season and washed out of the team after 2 seasons. It was an ok trade because you gave up a sixth round pick for a guy that the Saints were going to cut and he played very well for stretches here and there.
No way. The Williams trade belongs on the worst ever Dolphins trades list. Compared to what we had to give up for Williams, we got Bush for a bag of footballs and a Coke. Only thing both trades have in common is that neither one got the team any closer to the playoffs, much less a championship.

Ray Rice is elite. Total yards from scrimmage during his 4 years as a starter:

2009: 2,041
2010: 1,776
2011: 2,068
2012: 1,621

The guy plays every down, is a key target on 3rd down, they made the playoffs every year (not just because of him, obviously, but it's worth noting), and he has never missed a game. Versatility and reliability are huge in the NFL nowadays (as are 2,000 yard seasons).

Ricky Wlliams was the better player(pre-2004 retirement) but in terms of compensation given up for and production I think it is arguable which was a better trade. Bush didn't get traded for a 6th round pick, it was a SWAP of 6th round picks so the value of the trade is very high based on production. Ricky had one historic season, two very good seasons and four seasons as a role player/backup. He was also out of the league for almost three full seasons during his time in Miami. Ricky produced more than Reggie ever did but he also came to Miami for four draft picks including two 1st round picks.

The Bush trade was one of the "better" trades because of the relation of compensation given up for return production. I don't think you find anyone who thinks Bush was a better player than Williams, but in terms of compensation given up it is debatable.

I'd say more than debatable. We gave up a lot for a player that we made the focal point of our franchise and he left us stranded. I don't think we were on the verge of Super Bowls but in his prime..he abandoned us. Those first picks ostensibly could still be suiting up for us..

Ray Rice IS elite. He's basically what we've been looking for in Ronnie/Ricky, Reggie/Daniel, yet the Ravens found it all in one back. And they complimented him with a back that can also run the ball (Pierce). Until we find that back that can run/catch/block, we need to keep Miller, Thomas AND Reggie, because none can do all three things and be great at those things.

ray rice is definitely elite...and i'm pretty sure that if reggie bush was viewed as the perfect match for this offense and this scheme miami wouldn't be balking at paying him $5 mil per year on a contract extension...which seems to be the # thrown around about him...that's not deal breaker money by any means...i get that he makes something out of nothing a lot...i get it...i also get that he takes 2 yard losses or tries to bounce things wide plenty instead of pressing the hole and gaining what he can...and yeah he will throw in a 20 or even 40 plus yarder in there about once a game but from a consistency stand point it's just not there...i'd rather go with someone more consistent and one cut north and south in this o and blocking scheme...

As for Alfred Morris, no Mike Shanahan RB (with the possible exception of Terrel Davis) should ever be considered elite. I could run for 1000 yards in his scheme.

Ray Rice IS elite. He's basically what we've been looking for in Ronnie/Ricky, Reggie/Daniel, yet the Ravens found it all in one back. And they complimented him with a back that can also run the ball (Pierce). Until we find that back that can run/catch/block, we need to keep Miller, Thomas AND Reggie, because none can do all three things and be great at those things.

Thomas needs to be replaced period.

The one thing Bush can do, and it's debatable if the other RBs on the Dolphins can do this, is take it to the house if he's in front of the pack, including outrun a db that might have a bit of an angle on him in pursuit. Miami, IMO, needs an every-down back that can take it to the house if he breaks through the line clean.
I think this trait of Bush is underrated by Dol-fans and most posters on this board.
Also, I think that for every run where Bush's 'dancing' might've cost him a few yards instead of just punching it up in there for a 2-yard gain, there were 3 other runs where that 'dancing' enabled him to find or even make a hole (by getting defenders out of position) and burst through for a 10+ yard gain.
Reggie Bush, with sheer speedburst, could get through a tiny crack in line and be on his way. Another back would try and use his power to get through that hole and might only gain 4 yards because the LB or DB would get over there and cut him off once he got through the line.

I think Reggie Bush is better than most think and with just a little better blocking could produce a monster season. His numbers, IMO, don't represent how good he is and I'd hate to see us wind up being worse without him.

The one thing Bush can do, and it's debatable if the other RBs on the Dolphins can do this, is take it to the house if he's in front of the pack, including outrun a db that might have a bit of an angle on him in pursuit. Miami, IMO, needs an every-down back that can take it to the house if he breaks through the line clean.
I think this trait of Bush is underrated by Dol-fans and most posters on this board.
Also, I think that for every run where Bush's 'dancing' might've cost him a few yards instead of just punching it up in there for a 2-yard gain, there were 3 other runs where that 'dancing' enabled him to find or even make a hole (by getting defenders out of position) and burst through for a 10+ yard gain.
Reggie Bush, with sheer speedburst, could get through a tiny crack in line and be on his way. Another back would try and use his power to get through that hole and might only gain 4 yards because the LB or DB would get over there and cut him off once he got through the line.

I think Reggie Bush is better than most think and with just a little better blocking could produce a monster season. His numbers, IMO, don't represent how good he is and I'd hate to see us wind up being worse without him.

I was under the impression that Lamar Miller had faster straight line speed than Reggie. Shiftier too. Perhaps he doesn't have the ankle breaking ability of Bush, but I think he has better football instincts and rarely gets hit hard. Bush, as much as I love him, takes big hits too often

Back
Top Bottom