report: Dolphins plan to retain Wilkins | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

report: Dolphins plan to retain Wilkins

If true, just shows you can’t trust anything Grier says.
Good, don’t want to be able see all his cards all the time, need to be unpredictable.
My thoughts, we retain Wilkins and hunt and lose Williams and Gink, can’t keep em all, wish we could….

If we pay Wilkins over 20 million a year on a multi year deal, it will make alot of our fanbase very happy. It will also effectively close our Superbowl Window bc w Wilkins and Tuas new contracts on the books we won't have cap space to build a Suber Bowl Caliber roster. There will be holes everywhere.

What drives me crazy about our collective pee size brain as a fanbase, most of you idiots fall so in love with every player that wears a Dolphins jersey, you want to pay them every penny they demand even though this awful franchise hasn't won a single thing in almost 30 years.

Wilkins wants to be paid as a top 5 DT. That's 22 to 24 million a year. Listen to this and memorize it...... WILKINS DOESNT GET ENOUGH SACKS TO BE CONSIDERED A TOP 5 DT.

This is probably leverage and the team saying you're going to be here next year whether you like it or not so take our contract or you're going to play on a franchise.

Wynn wont be hard to sign. We will need to draft or sign quality depth behind him though. Injury prone…
I'd rather draft or sign someone to replace him, he was easily the worst starter on the line.

When you have a tandem like Sieler and Wilkins who LOVE feeding off each other down in the trenches you get them signed. They make too much of an impact to ignore. You build around these guys. Our CBs will be thanking Grier.
This. You win in the trenches. Wilkins has gotten better every year, which speaks to his work ethic. He's a team leader and has never missed a game.

I hope this happens.

We'll get a long term deal worked out that's more friendly for the cap this year. It doesn't make sense for someone like Grier to let Wilkins walk. Grier is on the hot seat considering we haven't won jack sh*t during his whole tenure here. There is no way in hell he let's this roster get worse next year, he needs to win NOW.

If we pay Wilkins over 20 million a year on a multi year deal, it will make alot of our fanbase very happy. It will also effectively close our Superbowl Window bc w Wilkins and Tuas new contracts on the books we won't have cap space to build a Suber Bowl Caliber roster. There will be holes everywhere.

What drives me crazy about our collective pee size brain as a fanbase, most of you idiots fall so in love with every player that wears a Dolphins jersey, you want to pay them every penny they demand even though this awful franchise hasn't won a single thing in almost 30 years.

Wilkins wants to be paid as a top 5 DT. That's 22 to 24 million a year. Listen to this and memorize it...... WILKINS DOESNT GET ENOUGH SACKS TO BE CONSIDERED A TOP 5 DT.
While I don’t vehemently disagree with what you’re saying, there has to be a happy medium of paying guys that have produced vs. letting your good draft picks walk after their first contract expires. The bottom line is that salaries are ever-changing. What seems out of step today can look like a solid deal in a season or two.

As far as sacks are concerned, 9 sacks from any defender is going to get that defender paid. 9 sacks from a DT? Now I understand that 2023 was the first season where he hit those heights, but he did hit them.

I'd love to keep Wilkins but I hope Grier sticks to his guns and offers the same deal as last year. He's a very good player, great team mates, great hype guy, almost killed Steve Ross last year but he's not worth $24M a season. Ed Oliver signed for $17M a year and I rate him as on the same level as Wilkins.

In the first round we need to move ahead of Pittsburgh to grab Powers-Johnson out of Oregon at center. Kid is a Creed Humphrey/Linderbaum type of center who will anchor for the next 10 years. Much cheaper than Williams who is good but injured often, and allows us to sign Hunt and solidify the oline.

In the first round we need to move ahead of Pittsburgh to grab Powers-Johnson out of Oregon at center. Kid is a Creed Humphrey/Linderbaum type of center who will anchor for the next 10 years. Much cheaper than Williams who is good but injured often, and allows us to sign Hunt and solidify the oline.
Yes please. Connor Williams can't be trusted health wise and it was clear that when he was out of the lineup this year, our offense took a massive dump. Center is priority #1.

Sacks in 2023

Donald 8
Williams 5.5
Simmons 5.5
Payne 4
Lawrence 4.5

These are the 5 highest paid DTs (per year average by OTC)

Wilkins 9

It might be time to retire that argument. The facts are not with you.

Back
Top Bottom