report: Dolphins plan to retain Wilkins | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

report: Dolphins plan to retain Wilkins

Wilkins also has the fewest sacks in the last 5 years of all those guys. Really depends on whether Wilkins' 2023 season was an outlier or his new typical.

Personally, I'm torn on what to do with him. Don't like the idea of "hitting" on a 1st round pick and then moving on (doesn't speak well for planning for success) , but if he doesn't keep up a high level of play we could be wondering why we are paying him so much in a couple years.

2019-2023, www.pro-football-reference.com
Wilkins 20.5
Donald 51.5
Williams 33
Simmons 26.5
Payne 25
Lawrence 21

When you look up these guys stats... you will quickly see that ALL of them except Donald only show one plus year of sacks... and since Wilkins is the most recent (and since he is far and away the best at run stopping and Tackles)... he's the guy.

I have been harping on extending Wilkins for 2 years.

Maybe he was resistant to signing an extension but I think I could have locked him up 18 months ago for much less money than he is going to get now.

Nah, he wasn't a starter, he was thrown into the starting lineup.

I was talking about Armstead, Wynn, Williams, Hunt and Jackson.
We had a good OL before Wynn got hurt? Wynn was a cheap, effective starter, a former first round draft pick. You're right Eich, was a replacement and that's when our run game went downhill and had to go outside for any chance.

We tried he wanted to gamble and won
Last year at this time yes but i wonder if they could have gotten him extended before LAST season.

I know they tried last year and they could not come to a number.

I would love to know what Wilkins was asking for that Miami was not willing to meet.

Last year at this time yes but i wonder if they could have gotten him extended before LAST season.

I know they tried last year and they could not come to a number.

I would love to know what Wilkins was asking for that Miami was not willing to meet.
It was reported the salary was fine but he wanted a higher guarantee.

We better keep CW. You don't let players like this walk, when you have absolutely no one the roster capable of filling those shoes.

100% agreed.

With no one capable of filling his shoes, we must not let Tua leave.

Sacks in 2023

Donald 8
Williams 5.5
Simmons 5.5
Payne 4
Lawrence 4.5

These are the 5 highest paid DTs (per year average by OTC)

Wilkins 9

It might be time to retire that argument. The facts are not with you.
Yet he had only 9.5 sacks in the three years prior to 2023. I'll just say CW was very fortunate we had such a soft schedule this year as he padded this year's total against the Jets/Pats/Panthers (6.5 of the 9) with another 1.5 sacks against the Giants/Titans (rookie QBs). Against the Bills twice, KC twice, Philly, Dallas, Baltimore, a whopping 1 sack. Regression to the mean is likely coming hard here.

Now he is a durable player, team leader and great run stuffer and pretty good paired up w/ Seiler so I do not object to keeping him but folks need to be realistic, very easy to get lost in the current headline stat. When we pay him $24MM and he has 4 sacks next year what will folks be feeling then as far as return on investment?

Do you want him telling the world what his plans are?

For the sake of honesty?

If I am looking for "the dumbest comment I have seen in a while" this place never disappoints.
Why say anything at all then?

Do you want him telling the world what his plans are?

For the sake of honesty?

If I am looking for "the dumbest comment I have seen in a while" this place never disappoints.
So are you also saying there is no credibility to him saying he wants tua here?

Wilkins 9 sacks this season...

2x Bryce Young
2x Tim Boyle
2x Mac Jones
1x Will Levis
1x Josh Allen
.5x Daniel Jones
.5x Trevor Siemian

Impressive...
The Josh Allen one is for sure...that guy is just so hard to sack.

So are you also saying there is no credibility to him saying he wants tua here?
Did you see me say that somewhere?

Do you believe that a person is either always truthful or never truthful?

Back
Top Bottom