report: Dolphins plan to retain Wilkins | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

report: Dolphins plan to retain Wilkins

Sacks in 2023

Donald 8
Williams 5.5
Simmons 5.5
Payne 4
Lawrence 4.5

These are the 5 highest paid DTs (per year average by OTC)

Wilkins 9

It might be time to retire that argument. The facts are not with you.
He was also 3rd in sacks among DTs in 2023, but the question is when did we start worrying about sacks from defensive tackles?

I love wilkens but the fact we are moving to a Baltimore 3-4 scares me. Wilkens was dominant in a 4-3 not a 3-4 (sacks-wise)

Sounds familiar. This is what I’ve been saying our approach would be for a year.

It makes zero sense to let Wilkins walk for nothing smack dab in the middle of our window for contention. Either we extend him at a reasonable price or we tag him.

I love wilkens but the fact we are moving to a Baltimore 3-4 scares me. Wilkens was dominant in a 4-3 not a 3-4 (sacks-wise)
The decline in sacks wouldn't worry me, he'd still be just as effective of a player, just in a different way.

He was also 3rd in sacks among DTs in 2023, but the question is when did we start worrying about sacks from defensive tackles?
I don't; sacks from your DT are merely a bonus, but the idea that sacks are equal to pay is central to Chad's argument.
...and as you can see, his numbers are off base.

A lot of people are arguing for Wilkins getting paid based on last year’s performance. Look at Sieler’s numbers from last year. They are damn near identical and slightly better in a few areas, including sacks - 10 and Miami is only paying him approximately $10 million per year. If they give Wilkins $20+, what does that tell Sieler?

Sacks in 2023

Donald 8
Williams 5.5
Simmons 5.5
Payne 4
Lawrence 4.5

These are the 5 highest paid DTs (per year average by OTC)

Wilkins 9

It might be time to retire that argument. The facts are not with you.
Wilkins also has the fewest sacks in the last 5 years of all those guys. Really depends on whether Wilkins' 2023 season was an outlier or his new typical.

Personally, I'm torn on what to do with him. Don't like the idea of "hitting" on a 1st round pick and then moving on (doesn't speak well for planning for success) , but if he doesn't keep up a high level of play we could be wondering why we are paying him so much in a couple years.

2019-2023, www.pro-football-reference.com
Wilkins 20.5
Donald 51.5
Williams 33
Simmons 26.5
Payne 25
Lawrence 21

Actually, this is what the article says....

"They hope to sign him to a long-term extension, but barring that, they'll use the franchise tag"

I take that to mean they are trying to work on a contract. The franchise tag is their fallback position
If they tag him, I would think a trade is very likely.

A lot of people are arguing for Wilkins getting paid based on last year’s performance. Look at Sieler’s numbers from last year. They are damn near identical and slightly better in a few areas, including sacks - 10 and Miami is only paying him approximately $10 million per year. If they give Wilkins $20+, what does that tell Sieler?
Fair argument. But if opponents double one of the two it's Wilkins.

If true, just shows you can’t trust anything Grier says.
Let's see the cap went up, some flexibility with other players may have come into play, and just maybe Wilkins wanted to stay and play with his team mates and new DC. Plus why would he tip his hand.
:ffic:

Last edited:
I’m agnostic on the situation. It all depends on what else the team is able to do if they do sign or tag Wilkins. I love Wilkins and would love for him to stay, but I also wouldn’t like the franchise tag or his contract to hurt the franchise.

They have to have the Cap space to Tag Wilkins and the number for DT's is just under 19 million.

Back
Top Bottom