report: Dolphins plan to retain Wilkins | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

report: Dolphins plan to retain Wilkins

My comment wasn't really in relation to yours as I think you were just mentioning sacks because those prior had mentioned them. But yeah, as far as Seiler goes, we scored there. I'm not all about paying top dollar for Wilkins, but I've stated before, there are really worse places you can spend money than a homegrown leader of the team, so I give it a little slack.
I give it some slack yea but at the same time is DT the place you want to invest this much of your cap percentage?

If Wilkins was or would accepted a fair contract I would still have hesitations bc I'm not sure we should be handing out giant contacts when we havnt paid Tua yet or Waddle, this offseason we have zero cap flexibility and if we're being honest we don't need one very good DT for 25 million a year. We need 5 good players for 5 million a year.

I give it some slack yea but at the same time is DT the place you want to invest this much of your cap percentage?

If Wilkins was or would accepted a fair contract I would still have hesitations bc I'm not sure we should be handing out giant contacts when we havnt paid Tua yet or Waddle, this offseason we have zero cap flexibility and if we're being honest we don't need one very good DT for 25 million a year. We need 5 good players for 5 million a year.
Now THIS is a much better argument. And I tend to agree with you.

I suppose the problem is this: Christian is the emotional leader of the entire team. He's a solid guy on and off the field... and if he puts up a couple more seasons like last year, he'll be in the conversation for the Hall.

This, as opposed to a guy like X, who's been slimy since day one.

I will say this... if he walks, then puts up a couple of 10 sack seasons in his next two years... we'll deeply regret his loss.

A lot of people are arguing for Wilkins getting paid based on last year’s performance. Look at Sieler’s numbers from last year. They are damn near identical and slightly better in a few areas, including sacks - 10 and Miami is only paying him approximately $10 million per year. If they give Wilkins $20+, what does that tell Sieler?
its the question that isnt gonna go away.

Now THIS is a much better argument. And I tend to agree with you.

I suppose the problem is this: Christian is the emotional leader of the entire team. He's a solid guy on and off the field... and if he puts up a couple more seasons like last year, he'll be in the conversation for the Hall.

This, as opposed to a guy like X, who's been slimy since day one.

I will say this... if he walks, then puts up a couple of 10 sack seasons in his next two years... we'll deeply regret his loss.
If he walks and puts up 3 to 4 sacks while giving us a 3rd round comp pick is that so bad? The NFL is filled with DT’s that primarily stop the run and take up blockers. Just devils advocate here, it’s a tough call but if keeping him is the way they want to go I understand and am ok with it but there is real risk there.

If he walks and puts up 3 to 4 sacks while giving us a 3rd round comp pick is that so bad? The NFL is filled with DT’s that primarily stop the run and take up blockers. Just devils advocate here, it’s a tough call but if keeping him is the way they want to go I understand and am ok with it but there is real risk there.
Yes there is...

I'm trying to present and accept both sides of this argument.

This could go either way, and I'm totally admitting this.

My preference is probably the tag... it would give us one more year to see if he can replicate his performance.

But I won't be a "I told you so" guy on this one, because I'm honestly torn.

Think Wilkins is the heart and soul of our D. You can tell how he interacts with the rest of the D. I've seen this guy track people with the ball 30-40 yards away from the play and lay people out. I don't see that with a lot of DT's. He has a non stop motor. Can get washed on some plays sometimes but they all do.

Agree with previous posts that if he is paid twice what Sieler is getting don't think it makes sense or he's worth that. The sack numbers are what they are.

I'll add this- there were a lot of games where the d line was a jail break to the qb over and over.That happened more than I would ever imagined. Was it fangio or the studs we had on the dl?

I am curious what our plan for the OL is if we invest $20M+ per year in Wilkins. I have nothing against him, but our starting LG, C and RG are all FAs. Our starting LT is probably going to retire or be cut after next year (and we all know he won’t stay healthy so we need a quality back up). Would be nice if we had more picks this year…we really need starters on rookie contracts.

I am curious what our plan for the OL is if we invest $20M+ per year in Wilkins. I have nothing against him, but our starting LG, C and RG are all FAs. Our starting LT is probably going to retire or be cut after next year (and we all know he won’t stay healthy so we need a quality back up). Would be nice if we had more picks this year…we really need starters on rookie contracts.
Haven't you heard? The cap is a myth. We'll have 200 mil in space by next week. We'll be paying Tyreek till he's 75

Lets see what a deal looks like. I like Wilkins and think he is an important piece of the defense, both in play and attitude, but I don't want to overpay to keep him.

Hopefully, if true they can come to a number that works for both sides
Franchise is 19.6 Million I believe

If we pay Wilkins over 20 million a year on a multi year deal, it will make alot of our fanbase very happy. It will also effectively close our Superbowl Window bc w Wilkins and Tuas new contracts on the books we won't have cap space to build a Suber Bowl Caliber roster. There will be holes everywhere.

What drives me crazy about our collective pee size brain as a fanbase, most of you idiots fall so in love with every player that wears a Dolphins jersey, you want to pay them every penny they demand even though this awful franchise hasn't won a single thing in almost 30 years.

Wilkins wants to be paid as a top 5 DT. That's 22 to 24 million a year. Listen to this and memorize it...... WILKINS DOESNT GET ENOUGH SACKS TO BE CONSIDERED A TOP 5 DT.

It stunning to me how you get such a negative reputation.

Back
Top Bottom