report: Dolphins plan to retain Wilkins | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

report: Dolphins plan to retain Wilkins

Now THIS is a much better argument. And I tend to agree with you.

I suppose the problem is this: Christian is the emotional leader of the entire team. He's a solid guy on and off the field... and if he puts up a couple more seasons like last year, he'll be in the conversation for the Hall.

This, as opposed to a guy like X, who's been slimy since day one.

I will say this... if he walks, then puts up a couple of 10 sack seasons in his next two years... we'll deeply regret his loss.
19- 2.0
20- 1.5
21- 4.5
22- 3.5
23- 9.0

Just looking at his sack totals, 2023 was definitely a statistical outlier.

Could he get 9 to 10 sacks the next 2 seasons?

Yea, but my money would be on him getting closer to 10 sacks over the next two seasons combined than 10 sacks in each of the next two seasons.

If I get sentimental about it, I'd love to keep Wilkins until he retires, like you said he is a huge part of our team chemistry, but it's a cut throat business and shrude moves sometimes are what it takes to make it too the next level.

Let's face it, Wilkins hasnt been part of a team that's won anything. We havnt won a playoff game, we don't have a history of winning big games with him like the Chiefs do with Chris Jones.

I'm sorry to bring Jones into this but my mind always goes to his situation when I'm thinking about resigning Wilkins. Jones has won 3 Superbowls and makes huge plays in the post season. And we're talking about paying Wilkins, Jones kinda money. He might not make as much as Jones when it's all said and done but they will be living in the same neighborhood on the leagues highest paid DT list.

Jones

16 - 2.0
17 - 6.5
18 - 15.5
19 - 9.0
20 - 7.5
21 - 9.0
22 - 15.5
23 - 10.5

That's 75.5 sacks for Jones.... if you wanna makes it apples to apples. Since Wilkins has been in the league he has 20.5 sacks compaired to Jones 53.5.

Jones is going to make 25-27 million a year. Wilkins is going to want 24-26. It's a hard pill to swallow when you look at this comparison.

Last edited:
When you look up these guys stats... you will quickly see that ALL of them except Donald only show one plus year of sacks... and since Wilkins is the most recent (and since he is far and away the best at run stopping and Tackles)... he's the guy.
Wilkins had more sacks in 2023 but I feel he was a better overall player in 2022

It stunning to me how you get such a negative reputation.
Your one to talk

Cracks Me Up Steve Harvey GIF by ABC Network

19- 2.0
20- 1.5
21- 4.5
22- 3.5
23- 9.0

Yea, but my money would be on him getting closer to 10 sacks over the next two seasons combined than 10 sacks in each of the next two seasons.

If I get sentimental about it, I'd love to keep Wilkins until he retires, like you said he is a huge part of our team chemistry, but it's a cut throat business and shrude moves sometimes are what it takes to make it too the next level.

Let's face it, Wilkins hasnt been part of a team that's won anything. We havnt won a playoff game, we don't have a history of winning big games with him like the Chiefs do with Chris Jones.

I'm sorry to bring Jones into this but my mind always goes to his situation when I'm thinking about resigning Wilkins. Jones has won 3 Superbowls and makes huge plays in the post season. And we're talking about paying Wilkins, Jones kinda money. He might not make as much as Jones when it's all said and done but they will be living in the same neighborhood on the leagues highest paid DT list.

Jones

16 - 2.0
17 - 6.5
18 - 15.5
19 - 9.0
20 - 7.5
21 - 9.0
22 - 15.5
23 - 10.5

That's 75.5 sacks for Jones.... if you wanna makes it apples to apples. Since Wilkins has been in the league he has 20.5 sacks compaired to Jones 53.5.

Jones is going to make 25-27 million a year. Wilkins is going to want 24-26. It's a hard pill to swallow when you look at this comparison.
Players develop over time... sometimes they get better. Christian has gotten a lot, lot better when it comes to sacks and pressures.

Maybe he's there now.

He was always a great run stopper and leader.

Players develop over time... sometimes they get better. Christian has gotten a lot, lot better when it comes to sacks and pressures.

Maybe he's there now.

He was always a great run stopper and leader.
Maybe it is growth as an individual. coaching (Fang) or simply contract year busting his ass

Agreed. I believe his next leadership step is to cut back on the trash talk, and focus his attention on his teammates between snaps. JMO.
He’s gonna be 29 in December, so I know it’s a tough decision but this is a business and considering his age, franchise tagging him til he’s 30 makes the most sense.

Either that or it’s a 3 year deal.. not four not five, three

Maybe it is growth as an individual. coaching (Fang) or simply contract year busting his ass
Typically... DTs will have one outstanding year... most of the top 5 (in salary) did this. In fact, all of them except Donald did this. Many here held up Quinnen Williams last year... swore he was better than Wilkins... but this year, Wilkins was the better one by far.

At this point, Wilkins is a better, more productive player than Donald... but not as good as Jones has been...

When this debate started... Wilkins was compared to the top 5... and as I have shown, in '23, he outperformed all of them.

Jones is #1 right now, but I think there is a STRONG case, that Wilkins is #2.

19- 2.0
20- 1.5
21- 4.5
22- 3.5
23- 9.0

Jones

16 - 2.0
17 - 6.5
18 - 15.5
19 - 9.0
20 - 7.5
21 - 9.0
22 - 15.5
23 - 10.5

This isn't fair, Wilkins was brought in when it was obvious to everyone except Flores that we needed to tank. He played on some terrible teams and gave 100% every time. Jones has played on some great teams. The more I see stuff like this the more I want to keep Wilkins

In the current state of this league, you can't keep anyone without overpaying them. Even just above average players, let alone an elite DT entering his prime.

If Chubb and Phillips miss significant time, with no Wilkins our DL and pass rush is straight ****ed.

Back
Top Bottom