Report: Gase non-committal on Cutler as starter when healthy | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Report: Gase non-committal on Cutler as starter when healthy

Casas9425

Club Member
Reaction score
Armando Salguero reports the Dolphins plan to reinstate Jay Cutler to the starting offense once he’s healthy unless Matt Moore plays like the 1984 version of Dan Marino. I personally think that’s an incredibly stupid thing to do but what do I know.

They can say that now, but we will see when the time comes. If Moore plays well, even if they put Cutler back in, the hook will be quick I imagine...

After Moore strings together a few lousy games, or is killed behind this o-line, reinstating Cutler will appear much less controversial.

One thing I never see anyone take into account really with Matt moore is HIS desire to start. I don't think he wants to be a starter in the NFL. I think he found a nice cushy high paying niche with zero pressure and he decided to stick there. Very smart imo. He could be josh mccown, going from team to team to team, sometimes getting hate mail, sometimes getting smashed every Sunday by cam wake, suh, etc. To me its the most logical answer to all this. I dont think moore really came out and said it necessarily, but you dont have to say anything when you're on a team, its obvious. Hes had so many chances to move on to a team to start easily. He has much more skill imo then most of the other journeyman starting qbs. Just a thought

Why would he need to play like a QB who had perhaps the greatest season in NFL history to unseat a guy who's playing terribly? Why wouldn't average simply do the trick?

And that has nothing to do with how Moore is going to actually play. It has everything to do with the logic the head coach is using to make the decision.

That may be true now, but things change very quickly in the NFL. It's up to Moore to make it impossible for Gase to go back to Cutler. Kinda what Ajayi did last year with Foster.

If Moore plays well, good luck with that one Gase. You will lose the fan base, and more importantly, the locker room.
Agreed. I've said elsewhere, if Miami scores 25+ per game with MM, it will be hard to justify Cutler. Particularly if ticket sales go up noticeably.

They have to start Cutler. Cutler is the type of personality that gets disinterested quickly, and Gase knows this. The only way to get any kind of value out of Cutler is to start him. It will suck if Moore continuous to play well on Thursday, but not as much as flushing 10 mil down the drain. Our coaching staff and FO will not allow that to happen unless it becomes absolutely necessary, which is unlikely. Just how it is.

Let's just wait and see how it plays out over the next game or two. Moore is in control of his destiny here...Play so well that Gase cannot take him off the field. Gase may love Cutler, but if Moore is lighting it up and the offense is really clicking, Cutler will stay on the sidelines.

Anybody have these two on speed dial?

0c7f9b81fe41f573c09c1aec6d879946--tonya-harding-photo-essay.jpg

depressing but highly likely

Let's just wait and see how it plays out over the next game or two. Moore is in control of his destiny here...Play so well that Gase cannot take him off the field. Gase may love Cutler, but if Moore is lighting it up and the offense is really clicking, Cutler will stay on the sidelines.

The problem for Moore is, he likely only has 1 game before Cutler is healthy again to show what he's got. 1 game won't be enough tape for the coaching staff to make a drastic change like that. I would be shocked if Cutler doesn't get another chance to start again this season, but I could see him having a much shorter leash if Moore really performs well against Baltimore. Either way, it's sort of a good problem to have.

Back
Top Bottom