Report: Mallett Conceded Drug Use | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Report: Mallett Conceded Drug Use

Aqua and Orange

Poster With A Porpoise
Club Member
Reaction score
http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/203063/report-at-combine-mallett-conceded-drug-use

According to Pro Football Weekly, Arkansas QB Ryan Mallett confirmed to NFL teams during the Combine that he at least experimented with drugs during his college years.
It is Pro Football Weekly, who have had their share of BS reports, but interesting nonetheless.

If it is a thing of his past, could be seen as a sign of truthfulness. Certainly Ireland, with his hooker question ways, would have asked this early...making the 2nd, 3rd and 4th visits with him a sign the Dolphins could look past previous over-inflated indiscretions.

Drug use to an extent was kinda expected. This just confirms he wasn't dumb enough to deny it privately to the teams.

Drug use to an extent was kinda expected. This just confirms he wasn't dumb enough to deny it privately to the teams.

Exactly..unlike..was it Jimmy Smith who would only admit to 1 of 2 arrests?

Given that drug use was already assumed, by pretty much everyone everywhere, even the people that pointed out that it's not been confirmed...this is a positive. To be honest about it even though you never failed a drug test, never were caught in possession of drugs by authorities, or caught otherwise with drugs in your system...that shows character. I'm a fan of Cam Newton but compare that kind of honesty with Cam's continued claims that he never knew what his dad was doing with respect to pay-for-play.

I have news for you. There isn't a QB who has not experimented with drugs in this class.

Roonnette likes talking out of his neck, but I agree with the sentiment behind the horribly conceived statement.

It's not uncommon or shocking for college kids to experiment with drugs. He never failed a drug test, and it never hurt his play on the field.

he at least experimented with drugs during his college years.

Congratulations Ryan - you've officially a member of the hugest post-1965 cross-generational collegiate special interest fraternity that includes presidents, politicians, athletes, performers, captains of Wall Street..... and me.
41783_2221010993_1675_n-1.jpg

If we was honest and consistent with the teams, this is a plus.

Think it was Peter King that stated in a NFL Films piece about Marino dropping in the draft something to the effect of "Hey, when your the BMOC, your going to try some stuff, have a few beers, it happens". As long as whatever he experimented with is in the past, i have no problem with it.

Given that drug use was already assumed, by pretty much everyone everywhere, even the people that pointed out that it's not been confirmed...this is a positive. To be honest about it even though you never failed a drug test, never were caught in possession of drugs by authorities, or caught otherwise with drugs in your system...that shows character. I'm a fan of Cam Newton but compare that kind of honesty with Cam's continued claims that he never knew what his dad was doing with respect to pay-for-play.

Absolutely. The point for Mallett all along in my opinion was that he had to look teams in the eye and be honest with them about whatever experience he had with drugs. With the main point being that it's something he experimented with, and it's behind him now.

At the very least, it shows that the kid is intelligent enough to realize that being honest was his best option, and that trying to pull the wool over the eyes of people that have the resources at their disposal available to find out more about you than you think is a bad idea... which obviously isn't always the case with a lot of these kids.

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone is telling me the Erik Ainge stuff and him going to rehab scares teams off though. Well, I don't understand that logic. I don't go to a rehab and see a druggies whose life has been ruined by drugs and then say, "No way I vote for Obana, way too risky!"

Back
Top Bottom