Report: RED SOX win top bid for Japanesse pitcher | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Report: RED SOX win top bid for Japanesse pitcher

MikeO said:
and this doesn't give BOSTON a foothold in Japan either or do anything for them over there in my opinion.

The kid plays once every 5 days. Thats about 30 games a year if healthy. And he may only go 5 or 6 innings on an average day.

In Japan they can air 162 Yankee games and 162 Mariners games because Ichiro and Matsui play everyday. With a pitcher its different and I don't think Japanesse TV people will spend money to air a full season of Red Sox games for a guy who plays once a week. Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think I am. Especially when in Japan they have their own Baseball leagues and what not.

Maybe they will air 1 Red Sox game a week when the kid pitches, but they probably do that now anyway or something similar. I don't see Boston making big money off this overseas. I really don't

Nomo did it for the Dodgers and he wasn't nearly the talent Matsuzaka is according to all reports. I remember watching the Little League World Series back in 1993 or 1994 and EVERY Japanese kid's favorite team was the Dodgers because of Nomo.

Now Matsui and Ichiro are clearly bigger names than Matsuzaka but the Red Sox are probably going to be the 3rd most popular MLB in Japan in the Sox end up signing him. Which will give them a foothold in Japan to get other players to come and sign in Boston.

Just look at how many Japanese pitchers have been in the Dodger system since Nomo, it's not a coincidence.

Bottom line is by signing Matsuzaka it helps the Sox more than hurts them in the Japanese market.

Ray Finkle said:
Nomo did it for the Dodgers and he wasn't nearly the talent Matsuzaka is according to all reports. I remember watching the Little League World Series back in 1993 or 1994 and EVERY Japanese kid's favorite team was the Dodgers because of Nomo.

Now Matsui and Ichiro are clearly bigger names than Matsuzaka but the Red Sox are probably going to be the 3rd most popular MLB in Japan in the Sox end up signing him. Which will give them a foothold in Japan to get other players to come and sign in Boston.

Just look at how many Japanese pitchers have been in the Dodger system since Nomo, it's not a coincidence.

Bottom line is by signing Matsuzaka it helps the Sox more than hurts them in the Japanese market.

We are talking 2 different things I think.

Are we talking a foothold to make money in Japan?? or a foothold to open up the franchise for Jap players?

Cause sure it will open up the Red Sox franchise for other Jap players down the road. Of course, no doubt. But it won't give you a foothold in Japan to add revenue and make $$$$$$$ over there and that is what I am talking about

MikeO said:
We are talking 2 different things I think.

Are we talking a foothold to make money in Japan?? or a foothold to open up the franchise for Jap players?

Cause sure it will open up the Red Sox franchise for other Jap players down the road. Of course, no doubt. But it won't give you a foothold in Japan to add revenue and make $$$$$$$ over there and that is what I am talking about

Oh I think it will do both. I think it will certainly get other Japanese players to give the Sox a strong look.

The Sox will also get revenue because anytime Matsuzaka pitches it will be shown in Japan. Maybe every Red Sox game will be now. Plus add to the fact that people will buy Matsuzaka shirts, jeresys as well as other Red Sox stuff. I think Matsuzaka will also bring in Japanese sponsors too for the Sox. They will certainly make money on him. Maybe not as much as Ichiro or Matsui bring in for the Mariners/Yankees but something is better than nothing.

Ray Finkle said:
Oh I think it will do both. I think it will certainly get other Japanese players to give the Sox a strong look.

The Sox will also get revenue because anytime Matsuzaka pitches it will be shown in Japan. Maybe every Red Sox game will be now. Plus add to the fact that people will buy Matsuzaka shirts, jeresys as well as other Red Sox stuff. I think Matsuzaka will also bring in Japanese sponsors too for the Sox. They will certainly make money on him. Maybe not as much as Ichiro or Matsui bring in for the Mariners/Yankees but something is better than nothing.

Well if its not at leaset $45 mill brought in then nothing is better than something. You can't operate in a loss on just 1 player with the kind of numbers that are being spent on him. This isn't chump change, in hard real cold hard cash being dished out by Boston, he is going to be close to a $20 mill a year man when you add everything together.

Ray Finkle said:
The Sox would get their money back so it would be a moot point.

Well it won't happen. But I thought if he does refuse the team doesn't get their money back?

MikeO said:
Well if its not at leaset $45 mill brought in then nothing is better than something. You can't operate in a loss on just 1 player with the kind of numbers that are being spent on him. This isn't chump change, in hard real cold hard cash being dished out by Boston, he is going to be close to a $20 mill a year man when you add everything together.

How do you know the Sox can't make back the 45 million on this kid?

MikeO said:
Well it won't happen. But I thought if he does refuse the team doesn't get their money back?

Nope this is very low risk for the Sox, no deal means all that money comes back to us..

MikeO said:

The Sox have 30 days from the time the Japanese team announces they're accepting the bid. Once 30 days is up, if no deal is made Matsuzaka will be returned back to the Japanese team and the Sox would get their money back.

Ray Finkle said:
What Red Sox fan is here complaining about the Yankees' payroll or how much they spend? This is the 2nd time in this thread where it's been brought up. And personally I think it's just a typical Yankee fan put down because they're mad they lost out on this guy.

The Sox HAD to spend the money to try and sign him because every team would have liked to have this guy. Personally I think the whole bidding process is dumb and the guy (along with other players from other countries that are FAs) should go into the draft, but that's a different story/topic all together.

not saying anyone on here, it is everytime i talk to red sox fans ( i am from new hampshire) all i hear is the yankees got this guy because of money and the red sox could not compete because they dont have the money to

i am not mad that the red sox might get to negotiate with him, if they placed the bid that won then it is congrats to them they paid the money

the red sox needed to make a splash and they might have done it

i just dont want to hear the red sox fans talk about not having the money to compete when they are willing to pay 100 million dollars for a pitcher

The Red Sox will make all of the 45 million back in 3 years with a television deal in Japan. This was a no brainer for the Red Sox and they definitely struck first blood this off-season with this move. There's no way you can hate on this deal other then to say this kid's arm could fall off and he could suffer an injury. But at the end of the day you can say that about any pitcher. All I know is that some how, some way, the Yankees need to get another top of the line starter to go with Wang. Re-signing Moose means nothing because even if they re-sign him their stuck with one ace and a bunch of 4 and 5 starters. If the Yankees want to match some other teams staff's their going to have to get another ace!

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
The Red Sox will make all of the 45 million back in 3 years with a television deal in Japan. This was a no brainer for the Red Sox and they definitely struck first blood this off-season with this move. There's no way you can hate on this deal other then to say this kid's arm could fall off and he could suffer an injury. But at the end of the day you can say that about any pitcher. All I know is that some how, some way, the Yankees need to get another top of the line starter to go with Wang. Re-signing Moose means nothing because even if they re-sign him their stuck with one ace and a bunch of 4 and 5 starters. If the Yankees want to match some other teams staff's their going to have to get another ace!

I don't see this kid getting Boston a TV deal in Japan when he only plays once every 5 days. We will see though

MikeO said:
I don't see this kid getting Boston a TV deal in Japan when he only plays once every 5 days. We will see though

Two words: Fernando Valenzuela.

Back
Top Bottom