Report: RED SOX win top bid for Japanesse pitcher | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Report: RED SOX win top bid for Japanesse pitcher

Ray Finkle said:
Wow over 50 million. This kid better be a stud.

After the contract he will be costing Boston on avg of $20 mill a year (when everything is factored in). For a guy who plays once every five days!!!

amazing!!!!

Spending more money for the rights to negotiate with one player than some clubs spend on their entire payroll is a little ridiculous. These players should just enter the draft like European basketball players do and if The Sox or Yankees want him bad enough work a trade to get the top pick.

DonShula84 said:
Spending more money for the rights to negotiate with one player than some clubs spend on their entire payroll is a little ridiculous. These players should just enter the draft like European basketball players do and if The Sox or Yankees want him bad enough work a trade to get the top pick.

Oh I 100% agree. I've said it earlier in this thread. I don't think you're allowed to trade draft picks in baseball like other sports but I think if you can't it's something MLB should think about.

Ray Finkle said:
Oh I 100% agree. I've said it earlier in this thread. I don't think you're allowed to trade draft picks in baseball like other sports but I think if you can't it's something MLB should think about.

ya can't trade picks for many reasons. The main one is cause then you will just have the big market teams trade a late 1st round pick and $3 mill for the 1st overall pick. And have shaddy stuff like that.

Or it would get worse, trade a 13th round pick and $500,000 for a 2nd round pick. Just total insanity would break out.

DonShula84 said:

I have no problem with this system of a silent auction. I would tweak it. Make it so a team can't bid on a guy just to block a player from going somewhere else with no intention of signing him to fair market value. Because that isn't fair to the player.

(I won't ues Bos/NY for this example) FOR EXAMPLE:: say the Dodgers want a Jap player bad. But the SF Giants throw out a $55 mill bid, but they are iffy on the kid, but they just don't want LA to get him. So, SF wins the bidding..... they talk to him, throw him some lowball insulting offer. The kid refuses...and is FORCED to go back to Japan. The only one who gets hurt in this is the kid. That isn't fair to let the teams screw with players life's like this.

I would make it so the high bid gets 1 month to talk to the player. If the sides can't reach a deal, then another round of bidding takes place with the first team no longer in the running. And the first team losing HALF of their original bid. This will prevent teams from just bidding to BLOCK another team. Because if you bid $51 mill and DON'T sign the kid, you just gave away $25.5 mill for NOTHING!!!!

MikeO said:
I have no problem with this system of a silent auction. I would tweak it. Make it so a team can't bid on a guy just to block a player from going somewhere else with no intention of signing him to fair market value. Because that isn't fair to the player.

(I won't ues Bos/NY for this example) FOR EXAMPLE:: say the Dodgers want a Jap player bad. But the SF Giants throw out a $55 mill bid, but they are iffy on the kid, but they just don't want LA to get him. So, SF wins the bidding..... they talk to him, throw him some lowball insulting offer. The kid refuses...and is FORCED to go back to Japan. The only one who gets hurt in this is the kid. That isn't fair to let the teams screw with players life's like this.

I would make it so the high bid gets 1 month to talk to the player. If the sides can't reach a deal, then another round of bidding takes place with the first team no longer in the running. And the first team losing HALF of their original bid. This will prevent teams from just bidding to BLOCK another team. Because if you bid $51 mill and DON'T sign the kid, you just gave away $25.5 mill for NOTHING!!!!

I agree with your last part. I definitely think there needs to be a cost to doing this. Even though we're talking much smaller sums of money, in the Rule 5 Draft, it costs 50K to pick a player, and if he doesn't stick, you return him to his original team for 25K, so you still lost some money. No reason why they can't institute that. This bidding process is going to become more and more common, and as it develops they're going to come up with rules to govern it. This is still one of the first times teams have done this.

MikeO said:

Interesting idea, seems to make sense to me. Just wondering, do you think that might be what the Red Sox are doing to block the Yankees? Or do you think they really want this guy? Seems to me that if you pulled something like that it would only hurt your chances of dealing with the Japanese teams down the road, but I could still see it happening.

DonShula84 said:
Interesting idea, seems to make sense to me. Just wondering, do you think that might be what the Red Sox are doing to block the Yankees? Or do you think they really want this guy? Seems to me that if you pulled something like that it would only hurt your chances of dealing with the Japanese teams down the road, but I could still see it happening.

I think the Red Sox definitely want this guy. Gammons was saying that the Red Sox had been talking to Japanese teams and scouts as far back as last winter to get a scouting report on Matsuzaka.

And MikeO, that's an interesting theory. The only problem I see with it is, example the Sox bid 51.1 million on Matsuzaka but the kid really wants to pitch for the Yankees so he keeps rejecting the deals so he has a shot to play for the Yankees in round 2. Of course there would have to be rules etc but it is a very interesting thought.

Ray Finkle said:
I think the Red Sox definitely want this guy. Gammons was saying that the Red Sox had been talking to Japanese teams and scouts as far back as last winter to get a scouting report on Matsuzaka.

And MikeO, that's an interesting theory. The only problem I see with it is, example the Sox bid 51.1 million on Matsuzaka but the kid really wants to pitch for the Yankees so he keeps rejecting the deals so he has a shot to play for the Yankees in round 2. Of course there would have to be rules etc but it is a very interesting thought.

set it up where if the player doesn't sign with the original team that won the bidding, he must pay a penalty of some sort.

This FORCES the team who won the first bidding and the player to make it work out.

wow for the jack they'll throw at this guy they could have signed zito and schmidt

Schmidt 4 years 51 (maybe bump it up a bit)
Zito 4 Years 64

you couple that with Schilling, Papelbon, Beckett, Schmidt, Zito.

You're golden!

(of couse this is assuming they would sign with boston:wink:)

MikeO said:
Final Bidding was.....

1) Red Sox $42 mill
2) Mets $38 mill
3) Yanks $32 mill

Florida's payroll for the whole team was around 15 million. That shows how sad baseball is when 3 of the "popular" teams have more money then an entire franchise just to "talk" to someone.

MikeO said:
set it up where if the player doesn't sign with the original team that won the bidding, he must pay a penalty of some sort.

This FORCES the team who won the first bidding and the player to make it work out.

Except that the fact that the player isn't a free agent.. So maybe they don't need to redo the signing part, but the bidding has to change.. Like MikeO said you can basically block any deal now by offering a ton of money at the bid, and then an awful low-ball contract to the player.. The reason you can do this is the player isn't a total free agent.. Had the Siebu Lions not accepted the bid, Matsuzaka would have gone back to Japan and become a free agent in 2 years.. You can't just allow 30 teams to talk to a player that isn't a free agent, on a team not even in your league about a contract.. The bidding process is what must change..

Chavez Ravine said:
wow for the jack they'll throw at this guy they could have signed zito and schmidt

Schmidt 4 years 51 (maybe bump it up a bit)
Zito 4 Years 64

you couple that with Schilling, Papelbon, Beckett, Schmidt, Zito.

You're golden!

(of couse this is assuming they would sign with boston:wink:)

No thanks I'd rather have Matsuzaka than a beat up career NL pitcher in Schmidt and Zito. And no it's not the homer in my talking it's because I'm not high on Zito.

Back
Top Bottom