Report: RED SOX win top bid for Japanesse pitcher | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Report: RED SOX win top bid for Japanesse pitcher

SpurzN703 said:
Florida's payroll for the whole team was around 15 million. That shows how sad baseball is when 3 of the "popular" teams have more money then an entire franchise just to "talk" to someone.

It is sad in many ways and maybe there should be a cap. But both NY teams and the Red Sox make a ton of money each year. The Yankees had 4 million fans attend games this year, the Sox have sold out every home game for the past 3 years both teams (and now the Mets) have huge TV contracts. Yes they're lucky to be located in big markets but they make the money to spend. You can't fault them for spending the money they make.

Like MikeO said, I believe its the Twins owner that's the richest owner in baseball yet he doesn't pump any money into the team. Yes some teams are doomed to fail because of location and division (Tampa Bay and KC come to mind).

Ray Finkle said:
No thanks I'd rather have Matsuzaka than a beat up career NL pitcher in Schmidt and Zito. And no it's not the homer in my talking it's because I'm not high on Zito.

I'm not high on Zito either, I like schmidt quite a bit though.

I just wonder if those two aren't a better use of the money? That was my only point.

Chavez Ravine said:
I'm not high on Zito either, I like schmidt quite a bit though.

I just wonder if those two aren't a better use of the money? That was my only point.

Hey it's possible but I doubt any time could get both pitchers to sign in the same year. Only time will tell. Schmidt hasn't been the same pitcher since 2003, his arm/shoulder worries me a lot, plus the whole AL/NL difference thing.

Ray Finkle said:
It is sad in many ways and maybe there should be a cap. But both NY teams and the Red Sox make a ton of money each year. The Yankees had 4 million fans attend games this year, the Sox have sold out every home game for the past 3 years both teams (and now the Mets) have huge TV contracts. Yes they're lucky to be located in big markets but they make the money to spend. You can't fault them for spending the money they make.

Like MikeO said, I believe its the Twins owner that's the richest owner in baseball yet he doesn't pump any money into the team. Yes some teams are doomed to fail because of location and division (Tampa Bay and KC come to mind).

These baseball owners can't be trusted. They are all liars and are playing the system.

The Twins owner is the richest out of every MLB owner, yet he crys poor

The Oakland A's cry poor, but then go spend $300-$400 mill OUT OF THEIR OWN POCKET to build a new stadium in San Jose

The city of Detriot for years was BIG market in Hockey and SMALL market in baseball.........you figure that one out!!!!

Toronto was 1 of the 2 teams that almost went bankrupt about 3 or 4 years ago in August and wasn't going to make payroll and be able to send out that months paychecks. That was until Steinbrenner stepped in and bailed them out. Now out of nowhere they are dishing out big bucks to BJ Ryan, Lyle Overbay, and AJ Burnett.

The Marlins will give Delgado a huge contract then cry poor 9 months later. Which makes no sense at all.

and don't even get me started on how the REDS took a revenue sharing check of millions a few years back and spent it on making the size of the soda cup holders in their stadium larger. And didnt spend one dime on improving the team!!!

These owners cry poor, spend nothing on payroll, and wait for the Red Sox, Yankees, Mets. Dodgers,...etc to pass out those big REVENUE SHARING checks. Which I have no problem with, but then dont' sit and cry about a "salary cap" or about how much the Yankees spend. Because they have the money to spend like the Yankees they just REFUSE to do it!!!!

Ray Finkle said:

I understand that certain cities and teams create more money then others (NYY, NYM, BOS), but it's always the same. Spend spend spend, it isn't fair for the lower market teams.

But then again, when the heck is life ever fair? At least the Yankees have won more then 1 WS in the last 20 years. What has all this spending done for the Red Sox and Mets in their franchise history?

Just goes to show, money can buy you more money, but it may not always result in winning

SpurzN703 said:
I understand that certain cities and teams create more money then others (NYY, NYM, BOS), but it's always the same. Spend spend spend, it isn't fair for the lower market teams.

But then again, when the heck is life ever fair? At least the Yankees have won more then 1 WS in the last 20 years. What has all this spending done for the Red Sox and Mets in their franchise history?

Just goes to show, money can buy you more money, but it may not always result in winning

Umm.... the Red Sox won a World Series and had been in the playoffs for 3 straight years before this year. In the past 20 years the Sox have been in the World Series 2 times (86, 04) and the playoffs in (86, 90, 95, 99, 03, 04, 05) so it's not like they've done a bad job. The Mets have reached the World Series twice also (86, 00) winning once. Also made the playoffs in I believe (86, 88, 98, 99, 00 and 06). Note the Mets playoff appearances could be way off. Other than the Yankees and Braves I don't think there's another team that's been in the playoffs more than the Sox or Mets in the past 20 years other than maybe Oakland, again I'm doing this all out of the top of my head so my numbers could be off.

And it's not like teams were spending over 100 million to 200 million 20 years ago. It started in the mid 90s.

Only 2 teams have won the WS more than once in the last 20 years: Yankees and Marlins. 1 of the Marlins championships was "bought" so to speak because they spend a ton of money getting guys to play for them like Sheffield, Bonilla, etc.

Wow goto google video and watch the Matsuzaka vs Ichiro video.. It is from back in 99' when Matsuzaka was a rookie still.. This kid has great stuff and a lower body built like Clemens.. The only thing that scares me is the kid pitches a little up in the zone, which can be leathel in MLB.

Ray Finkle said:
Umm.... the Red Sox won a World Series and had been in the playoffs for 3 straight years before this year. In the past 20 years the Sox have been in the World Series 2 times (86, 04) and the playoffs in (86, 90, 95, 99, 03, 04, 05) so it's not like they've done a bad job. The Mets have reached the World Series twice also (86, 00) winning once. Also made the playoffs in I believe (86, 88, 98, 99, 00 and 06). Note the Mets playoff appearances could be way off. Other than the Yankees and Braves I don't think there's another team that's been in the playoffs more than the Sox or Mets in the past 20 years other than maybe Oakland, again I'm doing this all out of the top of my head so my numbers could be off.

And it's not like teams were spending over 100 million to 200 million 20 years ago. It started in the mid 90s.

Only 2 teams have won the WS more than once in the last 20 years: Yankees and Marlins. 1 of the Marlins championships was "bought" so to speak because they spend a ton of money getting guys to play for them like Sheffield, Bonilla, etc.

Oh, how things change...we "bought" a WS in 1997 for $47,753,000.

RWhitney014 said:
Oh, how things change...we "bought" a WS in 1997 for $47,753,000.

Only saying that because in the next year the Marlins shipped almost everyone from that team out of town because the owner couldn't afford the players.

Plus you can't compare a 1997 payroll with 2007 a payroll because the economics of baseball have changed so much over the past 10 years.

Ray Finkle said:
Hey it's possible but I doubt any time could get both pitchers to sign in the same year. Only time will tell. Schmidt hasn't been the same pitcher since 2003, his arm/shoulder worries me a lot, plus the whole AL/NL difference thing.

Schmidt's steadily declining K rate is a MAJOR red flag. It's not like he's a finesse guy like Zito or Tom Glavine, who can live with a low K rate. Schmidt relies on power. Always has, and probably always will.

Zito, in a just and fair world, would be the ideal #2/#3 starter. Instead, he's an ace because he's extremely durable and manages not to get hit hard. God, I hate the Steroid Era.

And yeah, Matsuzaka is better than either of those guys, and by a decent margin.

phunwin said:
Schmidt's steadily declining K rate is a MAJOR red flag. It's not like he's a finesse guy like Zito or Tom Glavine, who can live with a low K rate. Schmidt relies on power. Always has, and probably always will.

Zito, in a just and fair world, would be the ideal #2/#3 starter. Instead, he's an ace because he's extremely durable and manages not to get hit hard. God, I hate the Steroid Era.

And yeah, Matsuzaka is better than either of those guys, and by a decent margin.

Yeah because he's dominated MLB batters his whole career. I mean honestly man, how many full games have you watched the kid pitch? My guess is you've seen some clips on youtube of him and saw him pitch his 3 innings in the WBC. Now I'm not saying this kid isn't going to be good because from what everyone is saying he's going to be solid but for you to say this kid is more of a proven commodity then 2 guys who have been near the top of MLB for a few years is absurd. Once again, that's not saying this kid won't be good cause all indications are he can be but for you to say he's worth more then 2 guys who have proved it on the MLB level while he's done nothing in MLB yet doesn't make sense!

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
Yeah because he's dominated MLB batters his whole career. I mean honestly man, how many full games have you watched the kid pitch? My guess is you've seen some clips on youtube of him and saw him pitch his 3 innings in the WBC. Now I'm not saying this kid isn't going to be good because from what everyone is saying he's going to be solid but for you to say this kid is more of a proven commodity then 2 guys who have been near the top of MLB for a few years is absurd. Once again, that's not saying this kid won't be good cause all indications are he can be but for you to say he's worth more then 2 guys who have proved it on the MLB level while he's done nothing in MLB yet doesn't make sense!

You know damn well if this whole situation was turned around and it was the yankees with his rights you would proably be singing a different tune

All 3 have concerns, i am not going to say Mat is better or worse then them because i don't know anything about him, but i do know the concerns about Zito and Schmidt, and i wouldn't want Zito for the amount he is going to cost, but schmidt i wouldn't mind.

FinsNYanksFan13 said:

So by that standard, you're not excited about Humberto Sanchez at all, are you? Because that would be a little hasty since he's never dominated MLB batters and you've probably never seen him pitch.

It does not matter who the hitters are when you're striking out 230+ batters in 200+ innings with an ERA around 3. That's just plain impressive, and while there is always the chance that he doesn't pan out, it's no different from any other prospect. Obviously, there's more money at all, and that's why there are so many emotions in this case.

UCFinfan86 said:
You know damn well if this whole situation was turned around and it was the yankees with his rights you would proably be singing a different tune

All 3 have concerns, i am not going to say Mat is better or worse then them because i don't know anything about him, but i do know the concerns about Zito and Schmidt, and i wouldn't want Zito for the amount he is going to cost, but schmidt i wouldn't mind.

that is not true, yeah i am a yankee fan but no way would i be happy with the yankees paying upwards of 100 million for a pitcher than never pitched in the majors

plus scouts say that he is a little over hyped and could be a #3 starter, they said a major problem could be that his fastball is pretty straight

plus i like this article that was on fox sports earlier
Sox can no longer whine about 'Evil Empire'
Story Tools:
Print Email Blog This Subscribe
Michael Rosenberg / Special to FOXSports.com
Posted: 15 minutes ago

I hate to slap any limits on free speech, but from now on, there are two words I never again want to hear out of the city of Boston.
"Evil Empire."

And I really, really don't want to hear them out of Larry Lucchino's mouth.
No more complaining about the Yankees' payroll, Red Sox fans. Your team is the second-fattest cat on the block.
The Red Sox just won the Daisuke Matsuzaka sweepstakes with an astounding $51.1 million bid. They are not paying $51.1 million for Matsuzaka's services.

They are paying the Seibu Lions $51.1 million just for the right to negotiate with Matsuzaka. Just to get in the door. If they can't reach an agreement with Matsuzaka, the Red Sox get their money back. But they are expected to reach a deal.

Six major league teams spent less than that on their entire 2006 payroll.
Now, it is possible that the Red Sox aren't really paying that much; deals with Japanese teams are rumored to feature more secret handshakes than sixth-grade recess. But they are obviously spending a ton. Once they get around to actually, you know, paying the pitcher, their total bill could reach $100 million over five years.

The Red Sox see Matsuzaka as a 26-year-old ace and a gateway to the Japanese market, which explains why they see this as an investment.
But Matsuzaka has never even pitched in the major leagues. For all we know, the secret to his famed "gyroball" is illegally applied yogurt sauce, and he'll be a bust here.

If the Yankees made an offer like this, you know what would happen.
Lucchino, the Red Sox president, and many Boston fans would whine that the Yankees were spending recklessly, messing up baseball's payroll structure, sending the country into a recession and complicating the situation in the Middle East.

Four years ago, when the Yankees outbid Boston for Jose Contreras, an angry Lucchino told The New York Times "the evil empire extends its tentacles even into Latin America."

That deal was for four years and $32 million.

The Red Sox will apparently pay more just for the right to negotiate.

Theo Epstein talks about the Red Sox emerged as winners of the bidding for Daisuke Matsuzaka with a $51.1 million offer. (Luis M. Alvarez / Associated Press)

Hey, it's their money. They have it and they can spend it how they please. Maybe it will turn into a brilliant move, both for the baseball team and the business.

i just don't want to hear any whining from Boston fans about the Yankees payroll. Last year, the Yankees spent around $199 million, which is nuts. But the No. 2 team was the Red Sox, at $120 million, for a team that finished in third place in the A.L East.

Nobody else was above $103 million.

Thanks to baseball's revenue-sharing system, pretty much any team with good management and a strong business plan can compete for the playoffs. But for at least two-thirds of the teams in the major leagues, the idea of bidding anywhere near this much for a guy who has never pitched in the majors is absurd.

And when you add the astounding news of a $51.1 million offer to the reality of the Red Sox' payroll, you can only come to one conclusion:

The Red Sox are aggressively exploiting every possible revenue stream, creatively growing their big-market business in any way they can, then plowing their extra millions back into their ballclub in a vigorous attempt to compete for the World Series every year.
Nothing wrong with that.

But that's exactly what the Yankees do.
It can't be evil for one team and OK for another. It can't be horrible and offensive and ruining baseball when the Yankees do it and just fine when the Red Sox do it.

When it comes to baseball's economics, the only difference between the Red Sox and Yankees is that Boston is a really big market that loves baseball, and New York is a huge market that loves baseball.
If the Red Sox want to order a large, expensive platter of gyroballs, that is their right. But please, waiter: hold the morality play.
Detroit Free Press columnist Michael Rosenberg is a frequent contributor to FOXSports.com. An archive of his Free Press columns can be found here.

TOP STORIES
• Red Sox can no longer complain about 'Evil Empire'
• Knight pokes fun on day of controversy | Fans react
• Doctors clear Chiefs' QB Green to return to practice
• Mussina reportedly agrees to re-sign with Yankees
• Wade wins scoring duel, but 'Melo, Nuggets top Heat
• No. 1 Gators cruise past hapless North Florida 86-40
• Patriots tab 43-year-old Testaverde as their third QB
• Arizona's Webb wins close race for NL Cy Young
• Coach caught attacking referee could face charges
More News | Subscribe advertisement
MLB NEWS
Recent Articles by Michael Rosenberg
• Is Louisville really worthy of a title shot?
• Colts should think about losing soon
• Colts should think about losing soon
• Bowden, Paterno both hanging on
• Brawl from grace

Headlines
• Cubs bracing for busy off-season
• Arizona's Webb wins close race for NL Cy Young
• Red Sox win Matsuzaka sweepstakes with $51.1M bid
• Mussina reportedly agrees to re-sign with Yankees
• Cubs keep wheeling and dealing, sign 2B DeRosa
• Mets give El Duque two-year deal to return to New York
• Nationals ready to introduce Acta as new manager
• Verlander, Ramirez earn MLB's top rookie honors
• Dodgers could bolt Vero Beach for Arizona spring home
• Girardi's next stop will be TV booth, not dugout

More Headlines | Subscribe MLB Video
• Hot Stove Report
• Hot Stove: Free agents
• Hot Stove: Trade talk
• Rangers tab Washington
Video Home | Subscribe
advertisement

FOXSports.com: Feedback | Press | Jobs | Tickets | Join Our Opinion Panel | Subscribe
Other Fox Sites: FOX.com | FOX News | News Corp.
© 2006 Fox Sports Interactive Media, LLC. All rights reserved. | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

I want the Sox to pick up some good relief pitchers because they have no quality bullpen guys left and their starting rotation is set.

Back
Top Bottom