Reshad Jones's Plummeting Among the Safety Ranks | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Reshad Jones's Plummeting Among the Safety Ranks

Seems like we respect each other's work and ideas in similar fashion.

don't worry you wont have to read mine much longer...i'm into the meat and potatoes and that has become few and far between around here these days...

don't worry you wont have to read mine much longer...i'm into the meat and potatoes and that has become few and far between around here these days...

In all honesty, I think you are an excellent poster. I disagree with things sometimes, but that is what this is about.

Good luck tomorrow and I hope we have playoff football to get ready for.

sometimes rankings can make you scratch your head when you watch a player but not in this case. jones is even worse than being the lowest rated saftey in the league. i can count like 3 good plays all year from him. cant tackle, cant cover, cant blitz...quite possibly the worst signing this side of gibril wilson that i can recall. my lasting image of this clown is the last play in the cinci game when hes asking clemons what the play is and clemons is just yelling at him. just unbelievable how bad hes been!

Jones had 1 good season and then got a huge payday (big mistake). Now he is making big $$$ and isn't worth a damn. The guy can EASILY be replaced.

Awsi Dooger had this one all the way. I must say I'm surprised how bad Jones has been. Those numbers are not just below average; they are scary bad. The changes in scheme and personnel around him can only explain so much. I wonder if he's gotten heavy and/or lost a step.

yeah i dont understand this excuse that the lb change has hurt him or he wasnt asked to cover last year...really? you pay a safety 30 million bucks and he cant be asked to cover? how can you pay him that much then if he cant defend the pass? how is he even in the nfl if he is this bad in coverage?

He's never been as good as many here have believed. I thought he was only mediocre last year and awful every other year he's been with us. Too many people wanted to praise Ireland for finding a late round star but in reality we gave a big contract to a late round talent. It's lazy on Ireland's part. Just like our awful new linebackers. I'm still convinced he used YouTube highlight videos to evaluate Wheeler and Ellerbee

bang on, I agree

Early Jones was missing tackles, but I do feel he's played better as the year has gone on.

It's also worth mentioning that due to our LBs being awful in coverage he's being asked to do different things from last year. Last year he was allowed to freelance and basically just read and react. Due to the struggles of the LBs, he's being asked to stay more at home which takes away his biggest asset (instincts) and makes him think too much

I had a major car accident in southern Georgia in mid summer 2009 and spent quite a bit of time talking with Bulldog football fans for about 9 days while recuperating. Reshad Jones was a frequent topic. Some fans raved about him while others insisted he was ridiculously overrated, with tons of weaknesses. The more I listed to everyone, I realized that the fans who seemed to have the best grasp of football in general were the ones knocking Jones. So I tended to believe they were correct, the same way I prioritize opinions from the sharpest guys I know in Las Vegas.

That fall I watched Jones carefully and didn't like what I saw, particularly against Georgia Tech and the option. His angles and instincts were terrible.

I agree with the poster early in the thread who said we gave a big contract to a low round talent. That's always my concern, to make sure you remember where a guy came from, the early evaluation, and don't overreact to what he's done lately. I don't think Jeff Ireland has any clue in that regard, the way he throws out big money to guys who were drafted in the 3rd round or lower.

The later they were picked, the longer they should have to prove it, before richly rewarded. Jones was handed big money after one nice year. The schedule this season with the top quarterbacks on the slate early allowed perfect opportunity to wait half a season for more evidence. That's what I emphasized during the offseason and others agreed. I don't think Jones was that great last year, either. I didn't see a star out there. I always respect Robert Horry's infrequent posts and he said the same thing.

The good news is that Jones almost certainly will bounce upwards next season. He's a mediocre player, not a terrible one. This season, contrary to many posts here, I actually think he's played his worst football in the back half of the season. Whenever I save a tape and watch it again, he's wandering around at the same monotonous half speed. He'll make one or two big hits per game while otherwise not arriving in time for routine plays. Many posters were stunned at his weak play early in the year and want to believe he's improved from November forth but I think it's the opposite.

Maybe a weak quarterback like Geno Smith is someone Jones can take advantage of. Like I said, Jones is a mediocrity, not inept. He could find an uptick moment in an otherwise pathetic season.

Like with draft picks and free agent signing contract extensions require good foresight from the GM. The advantage to us is even if the player turns out to be a dud we get to cut him sooner for less of a cap hit.

The schedule this season with the top quarterbacks on the slate early allowed perfect opportunity to wait half a season for more evidence. That's what I emphasized during the offseason and others agreed. I don't think Jones was that great last year, either. I didn't see a star out there. I always respect Robert Horry's infrequent posts and he said the same thing.

I can't believe a gambler would think this is a good line, where's the value? The value in extending him before the season is obvious assuming he goes on to be a good-great player. The value in trading him is pretty obvious if you believe his career will falter. If you want to wait and see you have value in using the franchise tag. But I'm not seeing any value in trying to sign a player at the halfway point of the season nor can I think of any precedence for this. Last season we had the opportunity to do exactly this with 2 players we probably should have extended before the season--Brian Hartline and Sean Smith. Both were on the opposite ends of the spectrum at the midway point of the season as far as production, we tried to extend Hartline and got shutdown and didn't bother to offer Smith anything, so where was the value? Did we miss an opportunity there that I'm not seeing?

There is huge value in extending players, it is one of the few advantages a team has to keep its young talent. If you do it the right way for every 2-3 players you extend you effectively get one extra player for free, as opposed to letting them hit free agency and paying top dollar. For instance, we could have extended Hartline and Smith for about $4 million/year each, so we would have gotten two players for $8 million vs just one player at $6 million, AND their contracts would have been for fewer years and a lot less guaranteed money. Thats how you build a team with good depth. Again though, you need a GM with good foresight or its completely moot.

I had a major car accident in southern Georgia in mid summer 2009 and spent quite a bit of time talking with Bulldog football fans for about 9 days while recuperating. Reshad Jones was a frequent topic. Some fans raved about him while others insisted he was ridiculously overrated, with tons of weaknesses. The more I listed to everyone, I realized that the fans who seemed to have the best grasp of football in general were the ones knocking Jones. So I tended to believe they were correct, the same way I prioritize opinions from the sharpest guys I know in Las Vegas.

That fall I watched Jones carefully and didn't like what I saw, particularly against Georgia Tech and the option. His angles and instincts were terrible.

I agree with the poster early in the thread who said we gave a big contract to a low round talent. That's always my concern, to make sure you remember where a guy came from, the early evaluation, and don't overreact to what he's done lately. I don't think Jeff Ireland has any clue in that regard, the way he throws out big money to guys who were drafted in the 3rd round or lower.

The later they were picked, the longer they should have to prove it, before richly rewarded. Jones was handed big money after one nice year. The schedule this season with the top quarterbacks on the slate early allowed perfect opportunity to wait half a season for more evidence. That's what I emphasized during the offseason and others agreed. I don't think Jones was that great last year, either. I didn't see a star out there. I always respect Robert Horry's infrequent posts and he said the same thing.

The good news is that Jones almost certainly will bounce upwards next season. He's a mediocre player, not a terrible one. This season, contrary to many posts here, I actually think he's played his worst football in the back half of the season. Whenever I save a tape and watch it again, he's wandering around at the same monotonous half speed. He'll make one or two big hits per game while otherwise not arriving in time for routine plays. Many posters were stunned at his weak play early in the year and want to believe he's improved from November forth but I think it's the opposite.

Maybe a weak quarterback like Geno Smith is someone Jones can take advantage of. Like I said, Jones is a mediocrity, not inept. He could find an uptick moment in an otherwise pathetic season.

where were you when this was all happening. hindsight 20-20. finheaven special.

there wasnt one of you last year pounding the table to not sign this guy.

Not one of you!!!

Back
Top Bottom