Retooling The Offense | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Retooling The Offense

We need to fix the O-line and add a real tight end. I wouldn't focus anywhere else on that side of the ball (obviously need to resolve Landry). With decent line play and RT back at the helm what we have can and will work well enough.
Good morning brother. I believe you will need to look at RB, and WR at some time in the draft, UDFA, and or FA.

I agree with Digital and whoever else thinks its more than a one year rebuild. I mean you don’t have a ton of cap space and you have needs all over the offense and defense.

We already know you will not hit on all of FA and draft picks - not possible- you would almost need to hit on them all to fix this team in 2018.

Some of the younger OL are going to get a shot, I can’t see them usuing three picks on the OL.

Though what you say about the O-line makes sense, I am tired of things happening to yet again give us an O-line that is not ready for prime time, I really think a good O-line miraculously fixes most ills on the offense, so overkill or not, I do hope to get a top Guard in FA.

Andrew Norwell is your top guard
but will cost $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
and I find it hard to believe that the way we've been valuing
guards with bargain basement has-beens we'd spend the cash needed to
sign a top free agent guard

I think this could be a one year rebuild if we do it right. However, we are the Dolphins. We will not do it right.

But there are pieces to work with and things you can do here.

Restructure Tannehill, cut Pouncey, cut Thomas, make other moves that will net you some cap space, and then pay Jarvis Landry. Evaluate how much cap space you have left over after signing Jarvis Landry and then look cheap FA pieces on the OL, at LB, and at RB. Prioritize those positions and DE in the draft.

Also, at tight end, I think it's time for this organization to take a page out of the Steelers' playbook and if we can't find a damn mismatch player, just spend a mid round draft pick on one of those 6'6" cornfed blue collar boys that can block his ass off and catch the football as a huge target. A Heath Miller or Jesse James type of player.

I think this could be a one year rebuild if we do it right. However, we are the Dolphins. We will not do it right.

But there are pieces to work with and things you can do here.

Restructure Tannehill, cut Pouncey, cut Thomas, make other moves that will net you some cap space, and then pay Jarvis Landry. Evaluate how much cap space you have left over after signing Jarvis Landry and then look cheap FA pieces on the OL, at LB, and at RB. Prioritize those positions and DE in the draft.

Also, at tight end, I think it's time for this organization to take a page out of the Steelers' playbook and if we can't find a damn mismatch player, just spend a mid round draft pick on one of those 6'6" cornfed blue collar boys that can block his *** off and catch the football as a huge target. A Heath Miller or Jesse James type of player.
Hmm ... as mentioned above though, we know we won't hit on all FAs or draft picks. In fact, isn't it basically 50/50 across the league, with regard to hits on both those spots?

And then, the amount of needs we have (all my own opinion obviously, others have their own opinions)
LG, C, RG, RT (OK, hopefully Asiata, Smith take a couple of those spots, maybe even Brendel too? That'd be the ideal world)
RB, TE

On D:
LBs (across the board in my opinion)
DE
Safety

That's a lot of holes to fill in one offseason!

I agree with Digital and whoever else thinks its more than a one year rebuild. I mean you don’t have a ton of cap space and you have needs all over the offense and defense.

We already know you will not hit on all of FA and draft picks - not possible- you would almost need to hit on them all to fix this team in 2018.

Some of the younger OL are going to get a shot, I can’t see them usuing three picks on the OL.
You're right that free agency and the draft won't be enough so what we need is for several players that are already on the team to take a step forward or two in 2018

We need Tannehill back healthy of course
Davis
Asiata
Young
Brendel

we need two of those 4 guys to become at least solid starters. 3 would be great
LT-Tunsil
LG-?
C-Brendel
RG-Asiata
RT-Davis

If those 3 could start there then you only need a LG in free agency or the draft and you'd save money but getting rid of Pouncey, James and Bushrod

If Landry leave then Carroo and Scott need to get a chance

We do need a RB and a TE. Maybe a RB in free agency and draft the TE

On defense we have RM coming back
It'd be great if Anthony could be a solid starting LB for us. He looks stronger and faster than Kiko for sure. That'd only leave one LB spot and Timmons could start there and draft a LB to groom

Harris has to take a big big step next year at DE
I believe with Suh and the 3 young guys we're good at DT, specially since Phillips has played better this year and DG has been a nice surprise

We still need another DE tho

And last but not least we need Howard, Tank AND Lippett to take the next step

What I'm saying here is that we do have some players already here that just need a chance to play and show what they can do. If most of the stuff I just mention happens then we'd not be that far as long as we draft well but those young guys have to make great progress first

Ozzy rules!!

Danny, I think I'd sooner pencil in Larsen as part of the solution than Asiata. Larsen is not a great player, and was bad at run blocking on Sunday, but his pass protection was adequate. I think you can pencil him in as the starting LG, and even if you don't feel good about it, you know he is not Dallas Thomas over there. We have not seen Asiata at all, and at this point there's no way we can assume that he's going to step in and be good.

You're right that free agency and the draft won't be enough so what we need is for several players that are already on the team to take a step forward or two in 2018

We need Tannehill back healthy of course
Davis
Asiata
Young
Brendel

we need two of those 4 guys to become at least solid starters. 3 would be great
LT-Tunsil
LG-?
C-Brendel
RG-Asiata
RT-Davis

If those 3 could start there then you only need a LG in free agency or the draft and you'd save money but getting rid of Pouncey, James and Bushrod

If Landry leave then Carroo and Scott need to get a chance

We do need a RB and a TE. Maybe a RB in free agency and draft the TE

On defense we have RM coming back
It'd be great if Anthony could be a solid starting LB for us. He looks stronger and faster than Kiko for sure. That'd only leave one LB spot and Timmons could start there and draft a LB to groom

Harris has to take a big big step next year at DE
I believe with Suh and the 3 young guys we're good at DT, specially since Phillips has played better this year and DG has been a nice surprise

We still need another DE tho

And last but not least we need Howard, Tank AND Lippett to take the next step

What I'm saying here is that we do have some players already here that just need a chance to play and show what they can do. If most of the stuff I just mention happens then we'd not be that far as long as we draft well but those young guys have to make great progress first

Ozzy rules!!
Isn't this kinda what we do every year? Fool ourselves into thinking there's so much talent etc. Then every year we end up disappointed as we realise players aren't half as good as we thought?

Danny, I think I'd sooner pencil in Larsen as part of the solution than Asiata. Larsen is not a great player, and was bad at run blocking on Sunday, but his pass protection was adequate. I think you can pencil him in as the starting LG, and even if you don't feel good about it, you know he is not Dallas Thomas over there. We have not seen Asiata at all, and at this point there's no way we can assume that he's going to step in and be good.
I just think he’s a back up that can play guard and center . I don’t know Asiata can be the answer but my point was that if we can get some of these young players to be good starters then it’d be a big help

Ozzy rules!!

I just think he’s a back up that can play guard and center . I don’t know Asiata can be the answer but my point was that if we can get some of these young players to be good starters then it’d be a big help

Ozzy rules!!
That's exactly it - we don't know what we have in him. So we should take a look at him now, and others, because this season is dead. Send them out there in live conditions. We know what we have in Pouncey, Bushrod, James, Larsen etc. Let's try the younger, unproven lads.

Andrew Norwell is your top guard
but will cost $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
and I find it hard to believe that the way we've been valuing
guards with bargain basement has-beens we'd spend the cash needed to
sign a top free agent guard

Will not hurt to throw an offer his way, and let him reject it.

I do think we have some talent on the offense, to be fair. We have pressing need at RB and TE, but I am not so down on our OL after seeing the way Jesse Davis has been playing. Also, while Larsen isn't good, he's not terrible. For a long time I have said that I don't need all-star OL guys, I just need guys who aren't a walking dumpster fire. Larsen is just that, a guy who is serviceable while we look for upgrades.

I do think we have some talent on the offense, to be fair. We have pressing need at RB and TE, but I am not so down on our OL after seeing the way Jesse Davis has been playing. Also, while Larsen isn't good, he's not terrible. For a long time I have said that I don't need all-star OL guys, I just need guys who aren't a walking dumpster fire. Larsen is just that, a guy who is serviceable while we look for upgrades.

Correct. Some like to claim all 5 are 'AWFUL.' Some claim the OL needs ELITE Olsen. There is talent and potential talent. I see a need for 1-2 upgrades, depending on 'potential'

Back
Top Bottom