Rex Ryan | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rex Ryan

It is actually 5 straight years and in one of them we had 2 1st rounders and went D. I think it is more coincidence than anything else. the players they felt were the best that were available they took.

How did they make 2 title games if that target was so huge? Cincy, SD, Indy and NE weren't motivated enough to beat them?

I am usually pretty close w/ my expectations, I expected 6-7 wins last year. we got 8, that's still exceeding expectations and those expectations were w/ Mark at QB and a healthy offense which we had neither. if we had mark and a healthy O we cruise into the playoffs. the healthy talent and a QB that wasn't ready we probably should have won 4-5 games.

so what? Tomlin's PO wins came in 2 seasons, Coughlins in 1, BB's in 3, Fox in 1, etc...

Carroll won a division at 7-9 and has had much more talent than Rex ever had. Give Rex those rosters and those teams are winning big. The jets had roster issues the last few years and he still kept them competitive.

w/ the worst roster in the division last year he led them to a 2nd place finish.

5-0 is awesome(4 in reg season) but they ended up 9-7, 9 wins doesn't cut it in this division. even giving them 2 more wins(max they could win in a div) they win 11 which is 2 les than what it would have taken to win division that year.

those are people that haven't paid attention, one fluky SB run doesn't outweigh 3 of 5 better years. I'd rather have the one fluky title but they haven't made a postseason since and since 2001 they have won playoff games in only 2 seasons.

Whether you want to believe it is a coincidence or not, I have no doubt that Rex has some say in who they draft. He is a great D coordinator, but he has always put a lot more focus on the D over the O. When you haven't made the playoffs, or had a winning record in 3 years, the coach deserves part of the blame.

We've discussed my thoughts on how they made titles games plenty of times. I think the teams were plenty motivated, but outside of NE, the rest just weren't good enough.

You also thought that they could be playoff contenders if things broke right. The majority of Jets fans predictions I saw had them at 8-8 or better. Rex going 8-8 was no great feat. It doesn't prove that he is one of the best coaches in the league.

So what? All of those coaches you named (Outside of Coughlin) not only make the playoffs on a constant basis, but have made it to the Super Bowl in the last 4 years. Rex has only made the playoffs 2 out of 5 years and has nothing to show for his limited playoffs apps. He doesn't qualify as one of the best coaches in the league.

The Giants ended up 9-7 with losses to really good teams like 13-3 SF, 13-3 NO, and 15-1 GB. They also lost a few to some bad / average teams so they were tough to figure out. All I know for sure is that they matched up very well against NE and the rest of the AFCE that year. They were 5-0 going 2-0 against NE that year, and NE got to 13 wins by sweeping the Jets. If the Giants swept NE, that takes away 2 wins from them and adds 2 wins to the Giants. I think they would have had a much better shot at a division title then you think.

It isn't that fluky when they won one just 4 seasons before. When the Jets were better in 2009 and 2010, they didn't win anything. When the Giants were better in 2011, they won the Super Bowl! Big difference!

more reg season wins in weaker division.

div title at 9-7 in that weak division, Jets won 11 and finished 3 games back in 2010.

you forget:

better record:

Jets 3
Giants 2

playoff wins in different seasons:

Jets 2
Giants 1

WC wins:
Jets 2
Giants 1

div rd wins:
Jets 2
Giants 1

title game apps:
Jets 2
Giants 1

Jets

Again, who cares about a better record when neither team has a winning record? It is 2-2 when at least 1 of the two teams finished with a winning record. Who cares about WC wins and division wins when you don't make the Super Bowl? Even if you want to add those ridiculous categories to the others, it makes it a 6 to 6 tie. The Giants won a Super Bowl while the Jets won nothing, so the tie breaker goes to them. :up:

:lol:

you forgot about challenges.

So basically for you to make a case for the Jets you have to break it down to the most miniscule comparisons. How about points scored against common opponents.

But your last post is picture-book proof that you are nothing but a troll. Just can't give up and god-forbid you are actually wrong.

Actually your posts are almost baiting.

common opponents:

2009:

NYJ 4-2
NYG 3-3(NYG lost at home to SD in reg season, NYJ beat SD on ROAD in playoffs)

point differential in 6 games:

NYJ +58
NYG + 5

big edge Jets

2010:
NYJ 4-2
NYG 4-2

NYJ +2
NYG +12

**included NYG getting crushed by INdy in reg season and NYJ beating Indy on the road in the playoffs)

edge: Jets

2011:
NYJ 5-4
NYG 7-3

NYJ -2
NYG +13

edge NYG

2012:

NYJ 0-1
NYG 1-0

NYJ -34
NYG +23
only played 1 game, SF blew us out, NYG blew out SF. Not enough games to draw any conclusions.

NYJ 1-1
NYG 1-1
only 2 games, hard to draw any conclusions

NYJ even
NYG -34

totals:

NYJ 14-10
NYG 16-9

differential

NYJ +24
NYG +19

pretty close all around w/ jets getting edge in 2 of 3 seasons where we had more than 2 common games. the 2 and under we split 1-1.

does this satisfy you? can you actually post something meaningful rather than hurling more childish insults?

Whether you want to believe it is a coincidence or not, I have no doubt that Rex has some say in who they draft. He is a great D coordinator, but he has always put a lot more focus on the D over the O. When you haven't made the playoffs, or had a winning record in 3 years, the coach deserves part of the blame.

We've discussed my thoughts on how they made titles games plenty of times. I think the teams were plenty motivated, but outside of NE, the rest just weren't good enough.

You also thought that they could be playoff contenders if things broke right. The majority of Jets fans predictions I saw had them at 8-8 or better. Rex going 8-8 was no great feat. It doesn't prove that he is one of the best coaches in the league.

So what? All of those coaches you named (Outside of Coughlin) not only make the playoffs on a constant basis, but have made it to the Super Bowl in the last 4 years. Rex has only made the playoffs 2 out of 5 years and has nothing to show for his limited playoffs apps. He doesn't qualify as one of the best coaches in the league.

The Giants ended up 9-7 with losses to really good teams like 13-3 SF, 13-3 NO, and 15-1 GB. They also lost a few to some bad / average teams so they were tough to figure out. All I know for sure is that they matched up very well against NE and the rest of the AFCE that year. They were 5-0 going 2-0 against NE that year, and NE got to 13 wins by sweeping the Jets. If the Giants swept NE, that takes away 2 wins from them and adds 2 wins to the Giants. I think they would have had a much better shot at a division title then you think.

It isn't that fluky when they won one just 4 seasons before. When the Jets were better in 2009 and 2010, they didn't win anything. When the Giants were better in 2011, they won the Super Bowl! Big difference!

Again, who cares about a better record when neither team has a winning record? It is 2-2 when at least 1 of the two teams finished with a winning record. Who cares about WC wins and division wins when you don't make the Super Bowl? Even if you want to add those ridiculous categories to the others, it makes it a 6 to 6 tie. The Giants won a Super Bowl while the Jets won nothing, so the tie breaker goes to them. :up:

He is judged on coaching not talent acquisition. He is not the GM.

He's only had 1 losing season in 5 years.

so the hottest team in football in 2009 wasn't good enough?

I don't believe I ever mentioned them being playoff contenders. The last season I thought they could be a playoff team was 2011.

Rex going 8-8 was an incredible feat, COY worthy.

Tomlin has made it just 2 times since 2009.

McCarthy has an easy division
BB has Brady

Fox has made it just 2 times

Coughlin once

they ended up 9-7, right? in a weak division.

now we are getting into if they sweep NE? if Miami swept NE last year they would have made the playoffs!

they were both pretty fluky, 2 mediocre/decent teams that got hot and played great D and had some incredible bounces go their way. the 2 runs were very similar. The Jets didn't win anything but showed some consistency. The Giants have 8 playoff wins since 2001 and all 8 came in just 2 postseasons.

He is judged on coaching not talent acquisition. He is not the GM.

He's only had 1 losing season in 5 years.

so the hottest team in football in 2009 wasn't good enough?

I don't believe I ever mentioned them being playoff contenders. The last season I thought they could be a playoff team was 2011.

Rex going 8-8 was an incredible feat, COY worthy.

Tomlin has made it just 2 times since 2009.

McCarthy has an easy division
BB has Brady

Fox has made it just 2 times

Coughlin once

they ended up 9-7, right? in a weak division.

now we are getting into if they sweep NE? if Miami swept NE last year they would have made the playoffs!

they were both pretty fluky, 2 mediocre/decent teams that got hot and played great D and had some incredible bounces go their way. the 2 runs were very similar. The Jets didn't win anything but showed some consistency. The Giants have 8 playoff wins since 2001 and all 8 came in just 2 postseasons.

I do judge him on his coaching. But if a coach thinks he doesn't have the talent he needs to be successful, he needs to speak up. The talent excuse might fly for 1 year, but not 3 years. I think Rex has been just fine with the rosters he has had. We are talking about the guy who thought that the 2012 team might be the best team he had since being the HC. :lol:

1 losing season along with two 8-8 and a 9-7 season that includes a win against a team that had no desire to play. He basically has 1 true winning season in 5 years.

SD was overrated. I know they were 13-3 and had won 11 straight, but only 3 of those wins came against teams with a winning record. One of those teams being the Cincinnati Bengals who were not very good. The Eagles and Cowboys were the other two teams.

You did:

I think our record will come down to 2 things- the QB limiting TOs and getting the run game going again. If those 2 areas turn up positive we can be a playoff contender, if not we could be as bad as most are predicting

Go back and look at the record most Jets fans predicted. The majority had them at 8-8 or better.

Just back up 1 year and Tomlin has made it 3 times, and has also been to two Super Bowls. Fox has been 3 times (not 2) and has also made it to the Super Bowl. You can make up all the excuses you want, but those coaches not only make the playoffs more often than Rex, they also have made it to the Super Bowl. Rex has failed on both accounts.

So what? They lost to some good non division opponents. The only bad team they lost to outside of their division was Seattle. The Giants own NE and match up well with the rest of the AFCE. They went 5-0 against the AFCE that year. That is the point. They did sweep NE! I don't see why it would be any different that year had they been in the AFCE.

You sound like you are describing the Jets. :chuckle: A mediocre / decent team that got hot and played great D. The only difference is the Giants played well throughout the playoffs and won two Super Bowls while the Jets choked in the AFC Championship games.

The Giants had two playoff apps in a 5 year period, and won 2 Super Bowls. The Jets have only made the playoffs twice in 5 years and have nothing to show for it.

I wonder why you went back that many years and stopped at 2001? Was it because if you backed up 1 more year you would have to add 2 more playoff wins and another Super Bowl app for the Giants? :lol: I'm not sure how you can discredit the Giants for all of their playoff wins coming in only 2 post seasons that happened over a 5 year span, when all 4 of the Jets playoff wins came in only 2 post seasons in 5 years. Yeah, the Jets playoff wins came in back to back seasons. So what? Why is that more impressive than winning 2 Super Bowls in 5 years? The Giants never went more than 2 seasons without making the playoffs. The Jets are already on 3 years. At least the Giants proved that they could once again be Super Bowl Champs after missing the playoffs for 2 years. The Jets have yet to prove that they can even get back to the playoffs.

Junc like most Jet fans is very Jealous of the giants.

I do judge him on his coaching. But if a coach thinks he doesn't have the talent he needs to be successful, he needs to speak up. The talent excuse might fly for 1 year, but not 3 years. I think Rex has been just fine with the rosters he has had. We are talking about the guy who thought that the 2012 team might be the best team he had since being the HC. :lol:

1 losing season along with two 8-8 and a 9-7 season that includes a win against a team that had no desire to play. He basically has 1 true winning season in 5 years.

SD was overrated. I know they were 13-3 and had won 11 straight, but only 3 of those wins came against teams with a winning record. One of those teams being the Cincinnati Bengals who were not very good. The Eagles and Cowboys were the other two teams.

You did:

Go back and look at the record most Jets fans predicted. The majority had them at 8-8 or better.

Just back up 1 year and Tomlin has made it 3 times, and has also been to two Super Bowls. Fox has been 3 times (not 2) and has also made it to the Super Bowl. You can make up all the excuses you want, but those coaches not only make the playoffs more often than Rex, they also have made it to the Super Bowl. Rex has failed on both accounts.

So what? They lost to some good non division opponents. The only bad team they lost to outside of their division was Seattle. The Giants own NE and match up well with the rest of the AFCE. They went 5-0 against the AFCE that year. That is the point. They did sweep NE! I don't see why it would be any different that year had they been in the AFCE.

You sound like you are describing the Jets. :chuckle: A mediocre / decent team that got hot and played great D. The only difference is the Giants played well throughout the playoffs and won two Super Bowls while the Jets choked in the AFC Championship games.

The Giants had two playoff apps in a 5 year period, and won 2 Super Bowls. The Jets have only made the playoffs twice in 5 years and have nothing to show for it.

I wonder why you went back that many years and stopped at 2001? Was it because if you backed up 1 more year you would have to add 2 more playoff wins and another Super Bowl app for the Giants? :lol: I'm not sure how you can discredit the Giants for all of their playoff wins coming in only 2 post seasons that happened over a 5 year span, when all 4 of the Jets playoff wins came in only 2 post seasons in 5 years. Yeah, the Jets playoff wins came in back to back seasons. So what? Why is that more impressive than winning 2 Super Bowls in 5 years? The Giants never went more than 2 seasons without making the playoffs. The Jets are already on 3 years. At least the Giants proved that they could once again be Super Bowl Champs after missing the playoffs for 2 years. The Jets have yet to prove that they can even get back to the playoffs.

I am sure he speaks up and has some input but ultimately he's not the one responsible for bringing in players.

Don't confuse him trying to pump up his players w/ actual truth. He will always talk up his players and teams.

1 losing season.

SD was the hottest team in the league and the AFC favorite to reach the SB.

The Bengals sucked, they only swept Bal AND Pit in the toughest division in football.

Read that quote again, I said IF those things turn out positive. I didn't say we would be. we got the run game going again but the QB turned it over even more than 2012. if we got better QB play we would have made the playoffs and we did wind up contending for a spot until about week 16.

Most fans will bump the # a little higher, know how many 10 win predictions I have seen on this board since 2004?

Tomlin has made it 2 times since 2009, no need to back up. if we back up a year Rex made it 50% of the time.

I forgot about the tebow year so Fox has 3 and a total of 3 playoff wins, rex has 2 w/ 4 playoff wins.

The Giants own nothing, they won 2 fluky games. they wouldn't dominate them if they had to play them 2 times a year, NE is a great reg season team.

We were very similar to those giant teams, the biggest difference was their D/STs stepped up in title games and got some breaks, ours did not.

The Giants had 3 playoff apps, they were one and done w/ a bye at home in 2008.

yes that is why I stopped at 2001. The 2000 NFc was a joke and we saw how competitive NYG was in the SB, a KR away from being the only team shut out in a SB. the 9-7 Jets that year that missed the playoffs put up over 500 yds of O and scored 20 pts on the road in Baltimore. The Giants O scored ZERO and accumulated less than 200 yds.

---------- Post added at 09:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 AM ----------

Junc like most Jet fans is very Jealous of the giants.

Ben, like most phin fans, is very jealous of the Jets.

I am sure he speaks up and has some input but ultimately he's not the one responsible for bringing in players.

Don't confuse him trying to pump up his players w/ actual truth. He will always talk up his players and teams.

1 losing season.

SD was the hottest team in the league and the AFC favorite to reach the SB.

The Bengals sucked, they only swept Bal AND Pit in the toughest division in football.

Read that quote again, I said IF those things turn out positive. I didn't say we would be. we got the run game going again but the QB turned it over even more than 2012. if we got better QB play we would have made the playoffs and we did wind up contending for a spot until about week 16.

Most fans will bump the # a little higher, know how many 10 win predictions I have seen on this board since 2004?

Tomlin has made it 2 times since 2009, no need to back up. if we back up a year Rex made it 50% of the time.

I forgot about the tebow year so Fox has 3 and a total of 3 playoff wins, rex has 2 w/ 4 playoff wins.

The Giants own nothing, they won 2 fluky games. they wouldn't dominate them if they had to play them 2 times a year, NE is a great reg season team.

We were very similar to those giant teams, the biggest difference was their D/STs stepped up in title games and got some breaks, ours did not.

The Giants had 3 playoff apps, they were one and done w/ a bye at home in 2008.

yes that is why I stopped at 2001. The 2000 NFc was a joke and we saw how competitive NYG was in the SB, a KR away from being the only team shut out in a SB. the 9-7 Jets that year that missed the playoffs put up over 500 yds of O and scored 20 pts on the road in Baltimore. The Giants O scored ZERO and accumulated less than 200 yds.

He is the one who is supposed to make those players successful. There is no excuse for not making the playoffs for 3 straight years. He is on the hot seat, as he should be.

That is one of his biggest problems. He rarely speaks actual truth which is why everyone laughs when he talks big.

I don't pay much attention to what the experts think. All I can tell you is what I thought about SD that year, and I didn't think much of them. And I am not saying that because the 9-7 Jets beat them in the playoffs.

The AFC North wasn't so tough in 2009. You mean Cincinnati swept the same Steelers team that lost 5 straight at one point including losing to teams like the 5-11 Browns and 5-11 Raiders. Cincinnati swept that Steelers team? Impressive. :lol:

You said Rex deserved to be a COY candidate for going 8-8 with the talent he had. Yet, you thought that if that same talent could limit turnovers and run the ball well, they could be playoff contenders. The talent never changed. Rex had enough talent to go 8-8, which is what most realistic Jets fans expected.

I was backing up 1 year to include a past accomplishment (Super Bowl win) for a good coach. I'm not backing up a year to remove a non playoff season like you talked about doing for Rex. It doesn't work like that. If you want to compare coaches you can't conveniently leave out a year just becasue 1 coach won a Super Bowl and Rex was a DC. Even if you don't want to back up a year Tomlin still has the same amount of playoff apps as Rex, but also has a Super Bowl appearance.

Fox has a Super Bowl app to go along with 3 playoff apps. At least he has an AFC Championship title. Playoff wins don't mean much when you don't have anything to show for it.

:lol2: They own nothing, yet the Coughlin led Giants are 3-1 against NE (including 2 Super Bowl wins) with the only loss being a 3 point loss in NE during the 2007 regular season. Since Coughlin has been the coach, they have gone 9-1 against the AFCE.

I forgot about the 2008 playoff app, but that doesn't help your case. So the Giants have 3 playoff apps in a 5 year period, and won 2 Super Bowls. The Jets have only made the playoffs twice in 5 years and have nothing to show for it.

So what? Since you are so proud of playoff wins that resulted in nothing, why don't the 2000 Giants, who actually made it to the Super Bowl, get the same credit?

He is the one who is supposed to make those players successful. There is no excuse for not making the playoffs for 3 straight years. He is on the hot seat, as he should be.

That is one of his biggest problems. He rarely speaks actual truth which is why everyone laughs when he talks big.

I don't pay much attention to what the experts think. All I can tell you is what I thought about SD that year, and I didn't think much of them. And I am not saying that because the 9-7 Jets beat them in the playoffs.

The AFC North wasn't so tough in 2009. You mean Cincinnati swept the same Steelers team that lost 5 straight at one point including losing to teams like the 5-11 Browns and 5-11 Raiders. Cincinnati swept that Steelers team? Impressive. :lol:

You said Rex deserved to be a COY candidate for going 8-8 with the talent he had. Yet, you thought that if that same talent could limit turnovers and run the ball well, they could be playoff contenders. The talent never changed. Rex had enough talent to go 8-8, which is what most realistic Jets fans expected.

I was backing up 1 year to include a past accomplishment (Super Bowl win) for a good coach. I'm not backing up a year to remove a non playoff season like you talked about doing for Rex. It doesn't work like that. If you want to compare coaches you can't conveniently leave out a year just becasue 1 coach won a Super Bowl and Rex was a DC. Even if you don't want to back up a year Tomlin still has the same amount of playoff apps as Rex, but also has a Super Bowl appearance.

Fox has a Super Bowl app to go along with 3 playoff apps. At least he has an AFC Championship title. Playoff wins don't mean much when you don't have anything to show for it.

:lol2: They own nothing, yet the Coughlin led Giants are 3-1 against NE (including 2 Super Bowl wins) with the only loss being a 3 point loss in NE during the 2007 regular season. Since Coughlin has been the coach, they have gone 9-1 against the AFCE.

I forgot about the 2008 playoff app, but that doesn't help your case. So the Giants have 3 playoff apps in a 5 year period, and won 2 Super Bowls. The Jets have only made the playoffs twice in 5 years and have nothing to show for it.

So what? Since you are so proud of playoff wins that resulted in nothing, why don't the 2000 Giants, who actually made it to the Super Bowl, get the same credit?

and he got the most out of them possible.

He's not on the hot seat, unless disaster strikes he's safe.

He backs his players and coaches, it is why he is loved.

SD was damn good that year, trade Mark for Rivers and they make the SB. Rivers is a choker which helped us but they were really, really good.

The AFC North had 3 teams over .500, they had 2 playoff teams, the previous year Pitt won the SB, the next year they'd be in the SB and Cincy kept them out of the playoffs by sweeping them and Baltimore.

They lost those 5 games by an average of 4 PPG

Rex deserved COY w/o a doubt w/ what he did w/ what he had. you seem to forget about injuries. we lost our starting QB and had a rookie who wasn't ready to play who was a TO machine yet we won 8 games. simply amazing.

Fox has probably the best roster in the sport, something rex has never had. give them the same roster and rex wins more games.

3-1 w/ the avg margin of victory in those games being 3.5, each one of the Giants 3 wins could easily have been 3 losses. this wasn't some domination, it's not like NE vs. Buffalo.

The difference btw 2 Jets SBs and 2 Giants title game losses was some good fortune. in the '11 NFC title game NYG fumbled clearly and they blew it dead, would have set SF for GW FG. '10 AFC title game Mark was throwing ball they called it a fumble and returned it for TD. both teams were very close.

the 2000 Giants didn't beat anyone the caliber of '09 SD or '10 NE.

except for 2009 and 2010. he didn't talk big the last 2 years, the only year it backfired was 2011. Talking doesn't win or lose games but rex talking again tells me he is confident in his team so I feel pretty good. I love rex, one of the best coaches in the league and the best thing to happen to my team in my lifetime.

Seem to have misplaced your sig pic of buttfumble?? The best QB to happen to your team in your lifetime

Answer me this----How come ever time ryan opens his mouth----crap falls out?

Rex puts all the attention on himself and deflects away from the team. Sometimes this is good. He always says something stupid before big games to get the media on him and his players can focus. Sometimes it backfires as well. We have the exact opposite here. If they switched places I bet a lot of people would be saying how Philbin is a corpse in a press conference. If I had to pick between the two of them I gotta say I would take Rex.

On a side note Junc, whats like to know that the Nets aren't going back to the playoffs for a very long time?

and he got the most out of them possible.

He's not on the hot seat, unless disaster strikes he's safe.

He backs his players and coaches, it is why he is loved.

SD was damn good that year, trade Mark for Rivers and they make the SB. Rivers is a choker which helped us but they were really, really good.

The AFC North had 3 teams over .500, they had 2 playoff teams, the previous year Pitt won the SB, the next year they'd be in the SB and Cincy kept them out of the playoffs by sweeping them and Baltimore.

They lost those 5 games by an average of 4 PPG

Rex deserved COY w/o a doubt w/ what he did w/ what he had. you seem to forget about injuries. we lost our starting QB and had a rookie who wasn't ready to play who was a TO machine yet we won 8 games. simply amazing.

Fox has probably the best roster in the sport, something rex has never had. give them the same roster and rex wins more games.

3-1 w/ the avg margin of victory in those games being 3.5, each one of the Giants 3 wins could easily have been 3 losses. this wasn't some domination, it's not like NE vs. Buffalo.

The difference btw 2 Jets SBs and 2 Giants title game losses was some good fortune. in the '11 NFC title game NYG fumbled clearly and they blew it dead, would have set SF for GW FG. '10 AFC title game Mark was throwing ball they called it a fumble and returned it for TD. both teams were very close.

the 2000 Giants didn't beat anyone the caliber of '09 SD or '10 NE.

He is on the hot seat. If he doesn't make the playoffs, he will be fired. They included an out in his extension for a reason.

Yeah, trade the all pro QB for a guy who is now competing for a backup spot in the league and SD makes the Super Bowl. :lol: Trade Ds and I won't say SD makes the Super Bowl that year, but they would have killed Mark and the Jets.

So what? They were barley over .500. The NFC East, NFC South and AFC South all had at least 3 teams at .500 or better. The division was not that tough. The only decent team in the division that year was Baltimore.

So what? Pitt lost close games to bad teams. They lost to the 5-11 Browns and 5-11 Raiders. Cincinnati only beat Pitt by an average of 4 PPG too.

Yes, I forgot how big a loss Mark was for the Jets. :rolleyes2: Remind me how he got injured again? :lol: Oh yeah, that COY candidate put him behind 3rd stringers so he could beat the mean old Giants in a meaningless preseason game. :lol2:

Make up all the excuses and hypotheticals you want. Rex hasn't accomplished what those coaches have and doesn't make the playoffs as often as they do.

A win is a win. I'm with you if it was just 1 game, but not 3 games. The Giants have had NE's number and went undefeated against the rest of the AFCE in two different seasons. That tells me that they would have had a shot at winning the division in either of those years.

More excuses huh? It wasn't a catch. It wasn't a safety. They barely won. They blew it dead. Mark didn't fumble. Our D choked. When does it stop? It's really simple. The Jets have only made the playoffs twice in 5 years and have nothing to show for it. The Giants are 2 time Super Bowl Champions.

Advantage Giants!

Rex puts all the attention on himself and deflects away from the team. Sometimes this is good. He always says something stupid before big games to get the media on him and his players can focus. Sometimes it backfires as well. We have the exact opposite here. If they switched places I bet a lot of people would be saying how Philbin is a corpse in a press conference. If I had to pick between the two of them I gotta say I would take Rex.

To each his own I guess. Rex talking doesn't deflect from the team. It only puts more pressure on it and adds extra motivation for the opponents. Here is what two HOF players had to say about it.

"If you are calling out a team on certain things, I think it puts a little extra on your team. Guys really want to go out there and say, ‘Let’s shut this guy up. Let’s shut these Jets up, just end their season.’”

ESPN analyst Steve Young, who made critical remarks about the coach's bravado. He said the Hall-of-Fame quarterback explained that brash comments generally aren't appreciated by offensive players because they fire up defenses.

Even Rex pretty much agreed:

Ryan also responded to Tomlinson's claim that the coach's famously bold predictions had an adverse effect because it put too much pressure on the team. Actually, Ryan agreed to a certain degree, admitting he will think before he speaks in the future.

You are right that Philbin is the exact opposite. He is dull in press conferences, but at least he carries himself like a professional. Rex comes off like a buffoon. Philbin needs to improve in several areas, but this was only his 2nd year and he had a lot going on with the team. With some of those issues resolved, I am willing to give him more time to see what he can do.

The bottom line is that both of these coaches will be gone if they don't make the playoffs. Should make for another interesting week 17 match up between the two teams.

Seem to have misplaced your sig pic of buttfumble?? The best QB to happen to your team in your lifetime

I appreciate what he did but we are building a really good team around our current QBs. I will always appreciate what Mark did for us but it's time to move forward.

On a side note Junc, whats like to know that the Nets aren't going back to the playoffs for a very long time?

I don't care about the Nets, I don't love NBA basketball. phinz made the sig for me, I root for the Nets but I am not a Net fan the way I am a Jet fan.

He is on the hot seat. If he doesn't make the playoffs, he will be fired. They included an out in his extension for a reason.

Yeah, trade the all pro QB for a guy who is now competing for a backup spot in the league and SD makes the Super Bowl. :lol: Trade Ds and I won't say SD makes the Super Bowl that year, but they would have killed Mark and the Jets.

So what? They were barley over .500. The NFC East, NFC South and AFC South all had at least 3 teams at .500 or better. The division was not that tough. The only decent team in the division that year was Baltimore.

So what? Pitt lost close games to bad teams. They lost to the 5-11 Browns and 5-11 Raiders. Cincinnati only beat Pitt by an average of 4 PPG too.

Yes, I forgot how big a loss Mark was for the Jets. :rolleyes2: Remind me how he got injured again? :lol: Oh yeah, that COY candidate put him behind 3rd stringers so he could beat the mean old Giants in a meaningless preseason game. :lol2:

Make up all the excuses and hypotheticals you want. Rex hasn't accomplished what those coaches have and doesn't make the playoffs as often as they do.

A win is a win. I'm with you if it was just 1 game, but not 3 games. The Giants have had NE's number and went undefeated against the rest of the AFCE in two different seasons. That tells me that they would have had a shot at winning the division in either of those years.

More excuses huh? It wasn't a catch. It wasn't a safety. They barely won. They blew it dead. Mark didn't fumble. Our D choked. When does it stop? It's really simple. The Jets have only made the playoffs twice in 5 years and have nothing to show for it. The Giants are 2 time Super Bowl Champions.

Advantage Giants!

To each his own I guess. Rex talking doesn't deflect from the team. It only puts more pressure on it and adds extra motivation for the opponents. Here is what two HOF players had to say about it.

Even Rex pretty much agreed:

You are right that Philbin is the exact opposite. He is dull in press conferences, but at least he carries himself like a professional. Rex comes off like a buffoon. Philbin needs to improve in several areas, but this was only his 2nd year and he had a lot going on with the team. With some of those issues resolved, I am willing to give him more time to see what he can do.

The bottom line is that both of these coaches will be gone if they don't make the playoffs. Should make for another interesting week 17 match up between the two teams.

I remember you guys telling me that last year and yet he didn't make the playoffs and got a contract extension.

Rivers has held SD back, he's not a big game QB. mark has proven to be. the difference in our 2009 div rd game was the play of the QBs. SD's D was really good that year too, if we trade Ds Rivers still makes the big mistakes.

3 teams w/ winning records, they kept Pitt out of the playoffs(AFC champ in '09 & '10). it was the best division in football.

That wasn't on rex, it was on the GM and the sham competition.

Rex has been right there w/ those guys w/ less talented rosters.

3 wins against NE that each easily could have gone the other way. they wouldn't have swept them in the reg season and we don't know if they sweep the other AFC East teams. they were 4-0 against us but each game was close and could have gone the other way.

Bradshaw fumbled against SF they blew it dead, Mark threw a pass and they ruled it a fumble. that gives SF the win and gives us a better chance to win.

The Giants do have the advantage but opur '09/'10 teams were very similar to their '07/'11 teams. they just played better D in title games and got more breaks.

so if it gave opponents extra motivation why did they go 4-2 in postseason?

Back
Top Bottom