RG3 Comment | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

RG3 Comment

If we are talking about commitment level than we better red flag Weeden in that he elected to play baseball before football. Evidently, football was his fallback option. Baseball must have been his true love.

Just another red flag for Weeden.

The two don't even relate. Weeden can't play baseball anymore and his only shot in pro sports/set his family up for life is the NFL. He doesn't have the pleuthora of options Griffen has (olympics, law school, NFL) and Griffen's comments show that he may not be 100% committed to not being an NFL QB. Weeden on the other hand is and has said so numerous times. In terms of red flags Weeden has two, his age and his shoulder. He happens however to throw a better ball than every current possible draft selection so the shoulder may not be a problem. The rest of his development comes down to him being able to play at the speed of the NFL game. Stop being an *** just because you want to ruffle CK's feather's for putting you in your place when you claimed his opinion or any others' wasn't valid because he/they are not an NFL insider and don't agree with every article you try to post as fact that agree's with your agenda. You come across as trivial, juvenile and unprepared expecially when CK has the hours of film study to back his opinions where you basically use someone else's work to back yours.

I started this thread to discuss RG3's comments, not the polarization caused by Tim Tebow's Christianity. If you want to discuss that, take it to the Serious Forums sections. Believe me Locke would be happy to discuss it with you there. Lord knows he and I have had plenty of discussions about religion and politics in those forums. :lol:

Not really. Baseball was indeed his first love and first choice, but anyone that has followed him, talked to him or had a lot of exposure to him knows that more than anything, he's a sports nut. Sports are his life. And right now, football is his ONLY professional option as a sport. I would agree with you if baseball were still an option. But it's not. Baseball is not taking him back. He couldn't go back even if he wanted to. He'll play football until that option is no longer feasible, and then like Dan Marino, he'll take up golf and perhaps broadcasting. But he's not good enough at golf to be a pro or to have it be a threat to his football career.

Let me put it this way. Let's say Robert Griffin tries to go to law school instead of the NFL, and he busts out of it, or is disbarred for some reason. He tries to make a comeback to the NFL at 28 years old. Too old to be playing around with the idea of competing in the Olympics, and banned from practicing law for life.

At that point, I'm not questioning Griffin's commitment to the NFL anymore. This would be his last shot, the only thing he's got, and he's got to make it work.

That's the situation Brandon Weeden is in, and it's therefore really a humongous stretch to claim he's got some commitment red flags. Unfortunately, Robert Griffin is in a different situation. He's still young, all of the options are still laid before him, he's really not exhausted ANY of his options yet...and so he could still realistically make a choice that whichever team drafts him isn't happy with.

I heard RGIII being interviewed and he impressed me, I believe that if he chooses the NFL he'll give it 100% he seems to come across as a guy with alot of integrity not the type of guy that would use the NFL to line his pockets and head to law school but we are all guessing what this guy is about.
CK I do get your point is just that we are not used to football players talking like that.
Luck could do the same thing too.

I started this thread to discuss RG3's comments, not the polarization caused by Tim Tebow's Christianity. If you want to discuss that, take it to the Serious Forums sections. Believe me Locke would be happy to discuss it with you there. Lord knows he and I have had plenty of discussions about religion and politics in those forums. :lol:

And still have a friendly relationship afterwards. :up:

A situation that I wish wasn't as rare as it is...

I heard RGIII being interviewed and he impressed me, I believe that if he chooses the NFL he'll give it 100% he seems to come across as a guy with alot of integrity not the type of guy that would use the NFL to line his pockets and head to law school but we are all guessing what this guy is about.
CK I do get your point is just that we are not used to football players talking like that.
Luck could do the same thing too.

It's not that I'm not used to seeing football players talk like that. I HAVE seen football players talk like that. That's the problem. He talks like Ricky Williams, Robert Smith and Myron Rolle.

Griffin's comments don't bother me. Seems like normal over analyzing going on before the draft. He seems like a smart kid and it sounds like he just wanted to show that off. I'm pretty sure he won't ever quit football to become a sports agent.

Also CK, If he does become a Robert Smith and gives a team a good 5-6 years, how is that any different than what to expect from a 29 year old Weeden?

The two don't even relate. Weeden can't play baseball anymore and his only shot in pro sports/set his family up for life is the NFL. He doesn't have the pleuthora of options Griffen has (olympics, law school, NFL) and Griffen's comments show that he may not be 100% committed to not being an NFL QB. Weeden on the other hand is and has said so numerous times. In terms of red flags Weeden has two, his age and his shoulder. He happens however to throw a better ball than every current possible draft selection so the shoulder may not be a problem. The rest of his development comes down to him being able to play at the speed of the NFL game. Stop being an *** just because you want to ruffle CK's feather's for putting you in your place when you claimed his opinion or any others' wasn't valid because he/they are not an NFL insider and don't agree with every article you try to post as fact that agree's with your agenda. You come across as trivial, juvenile and unprepared expecially when CK has the hours of film study to back his opinions where you basically use someone else's work to back yours.

I do not want ruffle feathers of anyone. I have my opinions and think what I opine is valid.

BTW, I also posted a Todd McShay video in which he mentions Weeden's positives and says he could go all the up into the 2nd round...a round or two higher than I project and have advocated for...I try to bring information to this site.

All of these qb's need to be vetted prior to the draft...RGIII and Weeden included. Weeden's commitment must be questioned. Is he only playing football because he is not on the diamond? Why did he not forsake baseball to play football? It is the same idea of RGIII and his quote...how much do you love football?

Finally, I respect CK's opinion, but I have no problem disagreeing with him when I disagree. He would do and does like-wise. That is what makes this nation awesome. I do not brag that I watch hours of film. However, I consider myself well-read and watch my share of football with more than a passing interest.

When baseball players like Chad Hutchinson, Chris Weinke and Drew Henson have tried to play NFL football after failing on the diamond...it has not worked out well.

Griffin's comments don't bother me. Seems like normal over analyzing going on before the draft. He seems like a smart kid and it sounds like he just wanted to show that off. I'm pretty sure he won't ever quit football to become a sports agent.

Also CK, If he does become a Robert Smith and gives a team a good 5-6 years, how is that any different than what to expect from a 29 year old Weeden?

I'm sure CK has an answer, but the differences are pretty obvious. The investment in Weeden wouldn't be the investment in RG3. Weeden can be had in the 2nd or 3rd round versus top 10 (probably) for RG3. Also with Weeden you KNOW his age and can plan that you'll be getting 6 years or so and can make that plan accordingly. With RG3, he's probably going to blind side you because he's young. He should have a 10 or 12 year career but he blindsides you after 6 years and leaves for law school because he's made his cash and wants to do other things.

I'm sure CK has an answer, but the differences are pretty obvious. The investment in Weeden wouldn't be the investment in RG3. Weeden can be had in the 2nd or 3rd round versus top 10 (probably) for RG3. Also with Weeden you KNOW his age and can plan that you'll be getting 6 years or so and can make that plan accordingly. With RG3, he's probably going to blind side you because he's young. He should have a 10 or 12 year career but he blindsides you after 6 years and leaves for law school because he's made his cash and wants to do other things.

Agreed. I think it comes with expectancy as well. With Griffin, you know how young he is. You're investing in a guy that you hope will play for a much longer time period. Weeden's expectancy isn't quite near what Griffin, Barkley or Luck can offer in terms of longevity. However, when you expect with Griffin, it adds that injury, or just his decision making process on what he'd rather do with his life is what gives the red flags. Losing him to an injury is one thing. Drafting him top ten and giving him all that money for him to say he'd rather go be a lawyer is another.

You can say my assessments suck and that I got "schooled" in a debate, but at the end of the day the following will occur...

1. RGIII will go in the top ten. I have said it since mid-fall. It looks like he will go higher than that
2. RGIII has a chance to be the face of a franchise
3. Weeden is a day three pick
4. Weeden will be a back up and be a non factor in the NFL

These are my assessments and we will see whose are right in the coming years. I am very confident in my opinions.

It's not. The problem is, Robert Griffin is going to be drafted far before Weeden because people are assuming Robert Griffin will play for them for 12 years whereas Brandon Weeden will play for them for maybe 7 years.

I'm saying, based on Robert Griffin's mentality and outlook on football, that's a bad assumption. Warren Moon got back into the NFL at 28 years old and played 15 more seasons. Robert Griffin could end up only playing 5 seasons.

If you're admitting that's a possibility, and you're admitting that Brandon Weeden's stock needs to be dinged because of age, then you're admitting that Robert Griffin's stock needs to also be dinged because of this.

You can say my assessments suck and that I got "schooled" in a debate, but at the end of the day the following will occur...

1. RGIII will go in the top ten. I have said it since mid-fall. It looks like he will go higher than that
2. RGIII has a chance to be the face of a franchise
3. Weeden is a day three pick
4. Weeden will be a back up and be a non factor in the NFL

These are my assessments and we will see whose are right in the coming years. I am very confident in my opinions.

I would be very surprised if even two of those four predictions end up happening. If all four happen, kudos to you.

Robert Griffin having to be talked out of trying to be a 1st year law student at the same time as a Heisman candidate quarterback for a major university is very reminiscent to me of Ricky Williams coming to the Saints during the off season and declaring that he wants to play baseball as well as football, and having to be talked out of that.

That was a warning sign with Ricky.

Well it looks like we dont have to worry about drafting him at all, because in that article he said in so many words that he's not entering the draft.

Next...

There's a lot of disturbing stuff in this article.

STRONG buyer beware on Robert Griffin. To him, football is just a game, and the NFL is just a business. That's fine for a human being but as an NFL franchise you're not looking for great human beings, you're hunting for great assets. I hate to de-humanize it that way but it's the truth. You read his thoughts about what the NFL is and what it means, read him talk about how it's not very important to him, it's a Plan B, all these other things come first.

If I draft him, I'm almost more afraid of him having success than him not having success. If he has success he gets to decide to walk out on this petty "spectacle" (his own words) on his terms, as a conqueror. He gets to move on (now with lots of money from his rookie contract) to bigger, better and more important things. He knows football is just a game, the NFL is just a business, that it doesn't mean much. He'll get what he wants out of it and then bolt.

The more I read about him the more I admire him as a human being, and the more I'm wary of him as an NFL franchise's asset.
Kind of sounds like another guys view of the NFL, Eric Dickerson. Dickerson could have been the greatest RB of all time, but he, like RGIII, viewed the NFL as just a means to an end. He was more worried about what he was getting paid than whether or not he won games. In my estimation, that is performing a disservice to the fans and more importantly your teammates. The Rams set up the whole offense for ED to succeed and what did he do when contract time came up, he bolted for more money. If he stayed in LA, there would be no discussion of who the greatest RB of all time would be-Dickerson would be the only name that needed to be said.
Listen RGIII has every right to live his life the way he sees fit as long as he does not harm anyone in the process, but do not ask a franchise to commit a boat load of cash to your future when you are not committed to theirs.

Back
Top Bottom