RG3 Comment | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

RG3 Comment

Meh, I KNOW he's smart enough to know it's not a one year thing understanding the NFL game.He also knows that a Masters from Baylor will buy him pretty much ANY endeavor he choses to embark on after his NFL career regardless of how long lived or short it might be.I'd take a gamble on this kid in a heartbeat. Anybody questioning his commitment has no clue. Zero nada. How many kids earn a Masters, at 21, while being the starting QB for the College team?Now, lets narrow it down a bit. How many earn a Masters from BAYLOR while filling the same criteria? I seriously don't think Commitment is an issue with RGIII
Not too sound like a snob, but why do so many people, while discussing rg3, bring up Baylor being such a prestigious university. It's not even top 5 in Texas.

Or just simply committed to their chosen profession. You make a lot of silly asumptions (square jawed, blue eyed???). This isn't matter of perception, its reality. Professional sports isn't something you kind of do, if you want to win a championship. Most athletes don't 'settle' for playing professional sports. The great ones have a a drive to win and a lifelong dream to win a championship and that includes players of ALL RACES, so let's dispense with your pathetic attempt to pull the race card. That nonsense doesn't work with me.
RG III doesnt sound like he's chomping at the bit to play in the NFL.

Muhammed Ali, Vince Lombardi, Michael Schumacher, Alex Ferguson, Jose Mourinho, Steve Redgrave, Clive Lloyd, Eddy Mercx, the various sportsmen and leaders are just some of a few who are driven as you say. So yes I'm aware of the high levels of dedication, desire and psychology to be a champion. I know its not talent alone.

As for the racecard? Well you defaulted on to politics. From what I have seen and reports concerning RG3's capabilities as a QB, he seemingly has more dimensions to his skillset than just being 'athletically gifted'

Many people have been impressed by his dedication and skills not only to playing football but being a model student and person on and off the field.

People need to do their homework and research on the guy before sweeping presumptions are made.

As I previously stated perspective is needed.

I disagree. At its fundamental core, football is a physically demanding, hard hitting sport. It takes more than being athletically gifted to play in the NFL. You have to have a passion for the sport and LOVE playing it week in and week out (Zach Thomas). Law School can come later (Nick Buoniconti)
I recall reading a quote from Don Shula (In the Miami Herald) after he drafted Marino and he was recalling his 1st conversation with Dan. Marino told him (paraphrasing) 'coach, I just want to be the best QB in the NFL'. Simply stated, un-nuanced.
That's what I want in my franchise QB. Montana, Marino, Kelly, Elway, Favre, Manning, Brady all had/have it.
If Griffen says he wants to be an NFL QB then I have to take that as a firm commitment. Once committed, I don't forsee him quitting on it. At this stage I would say he has the physical and mental aspects of the game in check. College football is grueling. It's not as if he just shows up 12 Saturdays a year only. He has a commitment to it and school. If the young man wants to pursuit a law degree then I wish him all the success in the world. If he wants to be an NFL QB, he is high on my draft board.

Yeah, that made things SO much better. Totally worth the two 1st round picks we paid for him.

i said nothing about if it was success or not, that's a whole different argument. my argument was money talks everything walks. ricky and robert smith walked away and ricky came back because he was giving up way too much money. I would also like to point out again you are comparing RGIII to two guys who played RB, and ricky was not anywhere near a right mind when he retired. These two guys are also exceptions to the rule, there have been plenty of guys with opportunities outside the NFL, but the NFL was their most lucrative option and you never hear about it again.

Meh, I KNOW he's smart enough to know it's not a one year thing understanding the NFL game.

He also knows that a Masters from Baylor will buy him pretty much ANY endeavor he choses to embark on after his NFL career regardless of how long lived or short it might be.

I'd take a gamble on this kid in a heartbeat. Anybody questioning his commitment has no clue. Zero nada. How many kids earn a Masters, at 21, while being the starting QB for the College team?
Now, lets narrow it down a bit. How many earn a Masters from BAYLOR while filling the same criteria? I seriously don't think Commitment is an issue with RGIII
Completely off topic, but where are you getting the idea that Baylor is some academic Mecca that can write you a ticket wherever you want to go?

Completely off topic, but where are you getting the idea that Baylor is some academic Mecca that can write you a ticket wherever you want to go?

Because it is. Its medical and law schools are world class, they just don't get the press the Ivy League schools do because they're not on the East Coast. You don't hear about Cal as an academic mecca either, but its nuclear and astrophysics schools are the best in the world.

wow! definitely admire him but people need to understand that alot of people play football and go to law school as well. Drew brees is doing it but does that make him any less of a football player? With that said, definitely buyer beware. I rather take on brandon weeden.

I just dislike Tebow because "Tebow-Time" should be "Broncos-Time". A majority of those wins came because the defense kept the team in it and gave Tebow the shot to be average enough to get Matt Prater within his 51-59 yard field goal ranges.

Tebow always gives credit to the "team". I've never heard him use the word "I", it's always "WE". He seems to be the epitome of a team player. This league could use a few more Tim Tebows.

Not top 5? In regards to what?
Overall rank, ranking of business and engineering programs. Their med school is great but its not in waco, its in houston. Their law school is good but wouldnt be a top 5 choice of mine in texas. As for engineering and business, theres at least 5 schools in Texas id choose over baylor, due to ranking, reputation in texas and networking. As for school of sciences and communications etc, im not sure because those didnt interest me when i was researching what school to choose. Baylor is a good school, no doubt, but just wasn't on the level of some other schools in Texas for me to go there.

This isn't the first article saying that. I wouldn't take him, he might not play at all or he finishes his first contract and bolt to law school. I would NOT gamble my 1st round pick. If we draft a QB that only has 4 or 5 years we might as well draft Weeden and he might give us 7-10 years. At least we know he would be around for as long as possible.

A Dolphin fan phoned up Sirius Football radio yesterday to talk about RGIII. Pat Kirwan told him flat out that RGIII has moved up to #2 QB and Miami is winning too many games to get him.

There's a lot of disturbing stuff in this article.

STRONG buyer beware on Robert Griffin. To him, football is just a game, and the NFL is just a business. That's fine for a human being but as an NFL franchise you're not looking for great human beings, you're hunting for great assets. I hate to de-humanize it that way but it's the truth. You read his thoughts about what the NFL is and what it means, read him talk about how it's not very important to him, it's a Plan B, all these other things come first.

If I draft him, I'm almost more afraid of him having success than him not having success. If he has success he gets to decide to walk out on this petty "spectacle" (his own words) on his terms, as a conqueror. He gets to move on (now with lots of money from his rookie contract) to bigger, better and more important things. He knows football is just a game, the NFL is just a business, that it doesn't mean much. He'll get what he wants out of it and then bolt.

The more I read about him the more I admire him as a human being, and the more I'm wary of him as an NFL franchise's asset.

I concur with CK. He already has a huge ego and loves the attention right down to his superman socks. He is smart and gifted, but there are lots of warning signs. He definitely will attract attention and from Stephen Ross' perspective may help to sell out the stadium in the same way he has resurrected Baylor football. Henne was totally low key and hated attention but RGIII is the polar opposite and craves it. Yes he wants to become a lawyer but don't be surprised if he has also mapped out a career in politics.

Back
Top Bottom