Rick Spielman and Jeff Ireland's post-Dolphins success. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rick Spielman and Jeff Ireland's post-Dolphins success.

Did omar actually said that ireland had only ONE bad draft? He's delusional if that's what he thinks. I don't care what he's doing now but he totally sucked when he was here and BTW, omar sucks too

Ozzy rules!!
Omar is an idiot.

In the real world those talent evaluations rely a LOT on an influential HC. Thus, in Miami it was not difficult to pay little heed to the HC. Try that in NO. Yup, that's what I thought, a good HC can judge talent and be a BIG help in the draft. Same is true of NYJ, Tbaum ignored Rex at his peril. I'm not arguing Baum is a good talent evaluator, but blaming him for all the NYJ draft picks is ignoring the elephant in the room. Anyway, Spielman, Ireland, Baum, Zimmer . . . always helped by a HC with an eye for talent. I believe there was a report of of Ireland asking Philbin of his draft targets/priorities and Philbin's response was similar to 'not my job.'

Smh at Philbin.

I remember when Ireland passed on Earl Thomas, a future All Pro at a position of need, so he could trade down for Jared Odrick and Koa Misi. What an eye for talent that guy had. And who can forget 2013. But it was the politics that did him in.

Good times!
i was up in arms about that. you can look in this board where i thought that was the 2nd dumbest thing he ever did that year. could have had earl or dez.

Ireland is a completely worthless piece of shizer.
Giving Ireland credit for New Orleans having a good year is like giving the bat boy credit for Stanton's home runs.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only people that have power struggles are the people who suck at what they do. Spielman may have assembled a semi-talented roster in Minn (I give more credit to their HC), but he flat out sucked as our GM. Ireland clashed with people because he made bad choices. If the guy was a genius at what he did, then people wouldn't have clashed with him.

I remember when Ireland passed on Earl Thomas, a future All Pro at a position of need, so he could trade down for Jared Odrick and Koa Misi. What an eye for talent that guy had. And who can forget 2013. But it was the politics that did him in.

Good times!

To this day, I'm still extremely bitter about passing up Thomas and trading down for Odrick.

Ireland imo only did one thing well when he was with us and that was play hardball on other teams. He did a great job of getting teams to bend over the barrel. Too bad it was always on bad ideas.

Spielman and Hickey didn't get fair shots. Ireland has more than enough opportunity and dug his own grave. Both he and TBum left messes in their wake and were lucky to have turned their chickenshit into chicken salad. I suspect that if or when the Fins front office gets disbanded neither bozo will ever see close to the same level job each had lucked into. Hindsight is also 20/20 but it looks like Spielman is far and away the cream of our GM crop.

I am still mad Hickey was railroaded. He was a true professional.

And we replaced him with Tannenbaum, a guy who easily takes the #1 worst GM ever spot from a long list of failed GMs.

The only people that have power struggles are the people who suck at what they do. Spielman may have assembled a semi-talented roster in Minn (I give more credit to their HC).

The flip side is 'how many GMs are ranked high when, in fact, the HC makes them look good.' Not surprisingly, 'bad GMs are often linked to bad HCs

I remember thinking at the time that Speilman deserved more than one off season to show what he could do with this roster. As for jeff, not a great comparison, because he's not the GM down there.
I remember thinking along those lines, he was screwed big time and made the scapegoat.

Spielman is the guy who they blew it on. He’s been nothing short of fantastic in Minnesota. Ireland is back to basics as a scout. He did well in that role in Dallas. He’s just not GM material. Perhaps in NO he’s learned how to be better. But I wouldn’t count on it, mainly because of his serious lack of people skills. Spielman has been fantastic and wish him all the best. Coughlin although never in Miami is another guy I’d have liked running things.

Yup. Ireland did a good job while in Dallas. He was in charge of the draft during day 2 and found some nice gems through his tenure there.
Sucked as a GM here. And that Dez Bryant story is still unbelievable to this day.

Yup. Ireland did a good job while in Dallas. He was in charge of the draft during day 2 and found some nice gems through his tenure there.
Sucked as a GM here. And that Dez Bryant story is still unbelievable to this day.
What I faulted Ireland for was not jumping to the conclusion he did, but for actually asking a question to which the answer was obvious.

Bryant volunteered that his father was a pimp and that his mother (well known as incarcerated several times with drug dependency problems) worked for him. Ireland really didn't need to verbally connect the obvious dots and make the kid feel bad. But as far as the conclusion, I don't think anyone of us would have surmised that she was his dad's bookkeeper or any such thing:confused

Good times!
Yeah, and then took Loa Misi over Rob Grokowski who was picked by N.E. two pi is later.

I wanted Earl Thomas and was vocal about it, but when Gronk slipped to the 2nd round I was literally jumping up and down and screaming at the TV to draft him, he also played a position of need. I've never been more draft dejected than when we passed over Gronk and the Patriots took him literally 2 picks later. :(

But if I'm honest, Ireland didn't really make those picks, Parcells pulled the strings there. With Parcells wanting us to implement a 34 defense, we lacked players for the DL and that was the reason we traded out of that spot. No excuses for passing on Gronkowski though. Parcells just doesn't draft injured players.

Back
Top Bottom