Ricky's true reason for retirement is coming out.... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ricky's true reason for retirement is coming out....

You can't tell me Ricky signed that contract w/o considering the possibility of one year not having an effective line. That angle is horse crap. He knew the risks, he knew he was going to get hit. :shakeno:

I haven't heard of Ricky complaining about his O-linemen at all except for the McKinney quote. I'm sure he responded the way he did because who the hell is McKinney to say anything? He a 2nd tier scrub who couldn't beat out Tim Ruddy for christ sake! I'm not making excuses for his sudden retirement before training camp but at least he did more than what you could ask for in a running back for the 2 seasons he did play. He didn't ***** about being run into the ground. I'm sure a lot of the people calling him names are the same ones who couldn't stop bragging about him leading the league in rushing 2 years ago, leading the league in carries for 2 years in a row, or running behind a ****ty line for almost 1400 yards last year.

dean_siu said:
When I heard this weekend that Ricky retired, I said to blame the front office for this debacle because of thier refusal to build a strong offensive line.

Today, I think you've heard Ricky's first reference to that when he replied to Seth McKinney's criticism....

Watching this team play last year, I've never seen a back get hit in the backfield more than Ricky did. I've never seen so many missed blocks as this line produced. I've never seen a running back endure as much punishment as Ricky did and still finish the season.

I guarantee you any back that was faced with as much punishment as Ricky got last year would be smoking dope as well. Any smart doctor would prescribe it for medicinal purposes as I'm sure he needed something to kill the pain everyday.

Ricky never blamed anyone though. He never criticized his teammates. He never tried to disrupt any team unity or publicly embarrass anyone. He just went out there and gave 110% each and every week.

Than he went into the offseason and worked his *** off again...attending all the offseason conditioning programs and getting himself into the best shape of his career.

He gave the Dolphins the entire offseason to address the much maligned offensive line and give him the type of blocking that a HOF calibar back deserves.

When the organization didn't do a good job of this and he was going to be faced with the prospect of running behind an inferior line filled with bums like McKinney, St. Claire, and Smith....he decided to walk instead of facing a serious injury which I think would have been a strong possibility.

You can say that the price tag on guys like Woody and Tait were too high....but the organization put themselves in this position over the years and they needed to address it....even if it meant overpaying.

Besides, they were getting a steal on a great running back who was only due to make about 3.3 million this coming soon and they could have used some of their savings here to address this deficiency.

When Ricky to leave though, he didn't cite the poor play of his blockers or the ignorance of our front office as the reason. Instead, he showed some class and took all the criticism himself.

However, if these idiots like McKinney want to fire barbs at Ricky.....I'm glad to see Ricky counter and defend himself. I can't blame him for walking away now...because he likely would have walked away on crutches by week 4 if he had decided to play.

McKinney needs to shut his trap because he'd be lucky to have a roster spot on most teams....and could probably not start for any other team in the NFL.

And this front office needs to go out and build a real line....the fans can talk all they want about us missing the chance to sign to Eddie George....but no free agent in their right mind would just to be a Dolphin and run behind this POS line.

I feel the need to wipe my shoes after reading that BS :goof:

finphan said:
I haven't heard of Ricky complaining about his O-linemen at all except for the McKinney quote. I'm sure he responded the way he did because who the hell is McKinney to say anything? He a 2nd tier scrub who couldn't beat out Tim Ruddy for christ sake! I'm not making excuses for his sudden retirement before training camp but at least he did more than what you could ask for in a running back for the 2 seasons he did play. He didn't ***** about being run into the ground. I'm sure a lot of the people calling him names are the same ones who couldn't stop bragging about him leading the league in rushing 2 years ago, leading the league in carries for 2 years in a row, or running behind a ****ty line for almost 1400 yards last year.
A seocond-tier scrub, becuase he couldnt beat out Tim Ruddy? Physically he could, he just wasnt mentally ready. C takes a lot of studying and intellegence, and u jave no idea what the hell u r talking about. How the hell do u kno how good he is? I take it your not a Feeley supporter r u?

dean_siu said:
Smoking pot as a pain killer is not stupid at all....thats one of the most common uses of it as a medicinal purpose. I'm not saying that he did have a prescription for it....but I don't blame him at all for resorting to it as he had to be in pain after each and every game.

the most common use for marijuana is for relief from glaucoma and cancer. if he was smart, then he would have had a Dr. prescribe this or an actual pain killer and he would not have any problems with the NFL.

this has nothing to do with the OL or the FO. you can try to project this situation on them all you want. this has everything to do with his desire to do what ever he wants with no consequence. this is all about a man that has stopped taking a stableizing drug and is not thinking clearly. this man is in trouble and is listening to the wrong people.

and, yes, under these circumstances he does owe his team mates something. he should have done this monthes ago, not wait for the last minute.

I dont think the public understands that Ricky was not the whole team. Myself, I am saddend to see him leave and a little upset, but cannot change the decision. We have a great bunch of guys to do the job. I am also more concerned for Rickys mental health and hope that this decision does not ruin him as a person. This news does come at a bad time, and when a door closes another opens!

Fawn Lebowitz said:
You do realise that every RB in the league gets hit. Hall of Famer Walter Payton ran for most of his yards behind one of the worst OL in history. Ricky ran behind a line at least 2x better and is bitching about it? What a whiner.

Payton's line was not worse than this...I know because I grew up in Illinois and we had Bears games every week (No Direct TV at that time). His line was bad...but he never got hit behind the line near as much as Ricky did last year. Furthermore, I don't see where everyone blames Ricky for bitching about it. Although I think he'd have reason to do so....he never lashed out at any of them until McKinney tried to lay a cheapshot on him.

FinFan24 said:
...wait is there a point? RB's get hit bottom line. You may say "not as much as others, but take into account u dont only get hit when u carry the ball. Look at LT, he also caught the ball 100+ times, all the more hits hes taking there.

I don't think anyone is disputing the fact that running backs get hit...there's no question that this is the toughest position to play in the NFL. What made it more punishing for Ricky though is the number of times he was hit in the backfield by defensive player coming full speed.....all because of missed blocks by the OL. This is always going to happen at times...no matter how good your line. But when it becomes a regular occurence....your running back pays a healthy price. Ricky was a warrior to finish last season....but I think he finally saw the light that "enough is enough". Without a back as strong as Ricky behind our QB...I really feel for the safety of whomever it might be.

Ozzy said:
UGH!! You showed me that you don't know how this Defense is set up!! The MLB is the one person on this type of D that take the brunt of the load.....

There's no question that the MLB takes the brunt of the load...but Zach delivers more punishment than he takes.....and you can blame any of his pain on the front office for ignoring defensive needs. He has one of the best DL in all of football playing in front of him.

JPhinfan86 said:
You can't tell me Ricky signed that contract w/o considering the possibility of one year not having an effective line. That angle is horse crap. He knew the risks, he knew he was going to get hit. :shakeno:

An uneffective line is an understatement...our line has (and will be again) the worst in the league. He endured it for one year....but I don't blame him for not wanting to do it again. Is it worth it for him to risk an injury that could affect him the rest of his life for another 3 million? If I had that much money in my bank account, I'd probably answer no as well.

DOLPHAN1 said:
the most common use for marijuana is for relief from glaucoma and cancer. if he was smart, then he would have had a Dr. prescribe this or an actual pain killer and he would not have any problems with the NFL.

this has nothing to do with the OL or the FO. you can try to project this situation on them all you want. this has everything to do with his desire to do what ever he wants with no consequence. this is all about a man that has stopped taking a stableizing drug and is not thinking clearly. this man is in trouble and is listening to the wrong people.

and, yes, under these circumstances he does owe his team mates something. he should have done this monthes ago, not wait for the last minute.

I would much rather have someone smoking pot than taking painkillers. "Popping pills" is much more addictive and can cause much more harm in the long run than smoking a little dope.

He is thinking clearly and I believe that's why he decided to walk away....the risk is not worth the reward at this point in his life. I believe he still has a passion for football and really wants to play this season....why else would he have done all the offseason work?

However, looking at whats ahead for the next 5 months...it's not a pretty picture and he can't do anything to correct this organizations mistakes over the last few seasons.

dean_siu said:
I would much rather have someone smoking pot than taking painkillers. "Popping pills" is much more addictive and can cause much more harm in the long run than smoking a little dope.

He is thinking clearly and I believe that's why he decided to walk away....the risk is not worth the reward at this point in his life. I believe he still has a passion for football and really wants to play this season....why else would he have done all the offseason work?

However, looking at whats ahead for the next 5 months...it's not a pretty picture and he can't do anything to correct this organizations mistakes over the last few seasons.

yea, I want someone who's job is to be physically fit to smoke pot.

I am sorry, you are wrong. He quit because he doesn't have the passion.

FinFan24 said:
I cant believe how clueless your being(not are, tht would b a personal attack:D ) you dont think Feeley and boston are a help to the runing game. Tell me something, what made defences stack 8 in the box every play?Was it a poor O-Line? NO! It was lack of passing game!! We adressed tht in the offseason as well. You think guys are gonna b injured under this O-Line??Then y the hell was there only one injury last year on offence behind an even worse line?..Ok lets hear ur bad rebutle...

I forgot to address this point....I don't think the additions of Feely and Boston will help our running game (or passing game for that matter) at all. The reason teams put 8 in the box is because they knew our line couldn't protect that sort of pressure long enough to let any play (running or passing) develop.

Thats why Griese (who was a decent QB in Denver) absolutely struggled so badly last year. When he first got on the field, he never had the protection he had in the past and quickly became fearful of the rush.

Fiedler is a good QB and if he was ever playing behind a strong OL....you'd see him do so much more as well.

If this team ever wants to improve its offensive performance (both running and passing), it all starts with the line....not by bring in a backup QB and another WR.

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
yea, I want someone who's job is to be physically fit to smoke pot.

I am sorry, you are wrong. He quit because he doesn't have the passion.

If you don't think Ricky was physically fit, I'd like to see what you think is....Ricky was in better shape than anyone else on this team.

As for don't having passion, I agree with you 100% and thats my point throughout this entire thread. I wouldn't have passion to play the game either if I had to run behind this line.

Smart decision for Ricky to leave. While I was watching games last year, I was saying to myself that this cat was going to have his knees blown out one game. Defenses knew Ricky was the only threat in a run oriented offense. They increase their chances of winning by taking out Ricky. Defenders do not go head up with Ricky anymore, they go for his knees. Add the fact that he's not playing because he loves the game, then you have the result that he's doing the best thing for him.

He loves to travel, I know for a fact he would be depressed if he had to travel in a wheel chair just because he made some so-called "fans" happy for a couple of minutes while he lives in misery for the rest of his life and for what??

He doesn't like playing the game.

Back
Top Bottom