Risk vs Reward for Manning | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Risk vs Reward for Manning

Cervical Spinal Fusion Surgery, doesn't discriminate against the "AVERAGE JOE" from Peyton Manning or any Athlete for that matter ... This situation is not like having a torn ACL, MCL or Rotator Cuff tear!!! In those cases "ATHLETES" can FAR out rehab the average person to come back as good or better than before the injury!!! in Spinal Fusion cases, your dealing with Vertebra's, Bone Grafs or Bone Cadavors, Titanium or Metal Plates and most of all Spinal Disc removal ... Spinal Fusion doesn't allow for any person with more desire than the average person to get better faster or quicker ... Manning's DESIRE is clouding his judgement in this situation ... no matter how much the "AVERAGE FAN" wants to SPIN IT; because they want Manning in a Dolphins Uniform, there is no escaping the realities of the type of surgery and it's after affects Fusion Surgery causes the human body .... ANYONE who thinks because it's Peyton Manning and he is an NFL Player he's going to get better YOUR ALL FOOLING YOURSELVES!!! EDUCATE YOUR MINDS 1st before blindly making statements about Manning being in Miami ...

I wasn't comparing him to the "average joe" in a pyshical sense (I thought that was pretty apparent) I was comparing the competative mind set. The average person wouldn't risk it because they don't have the same fire and competative mind set as Manning. It doesn't matter what YOU think he can do, it matters what Peyton thinks he can do. The only way Peyton won't play is if he CAN'T play.

Henne, Shaub, Cutler, Cassel, Lienhart, all season ending injuries.
I would take my chance with Manning over all of them. We know we have a decent back up. Use it to our advantage.
What exactly do they have to do with Peyton Manning? The severity of Mannings injury is worlds worse than
any of theirs

Peyton manning may recover from surgery to play in the NFL again. He's obsessive, driven and football to his core.

He probably won't take a hit that paralyses him. That's a bit melodramatic. But I bet within the first few months of coming back he takes a hit that is excruciatingly painful and causes him some problems where he begins to realise the consequences of going out on a Sunday and taking severe punishment to a body the was already getting old. Now, on top of that, he's extremely vulnerable in an area that takes a lot of strain, an injury to which could determine his future mobility and quality of life.

I don't care who you are. Self-preservation is not an instinct to be ignored and Manning will get a reminder of the precariousness of his mortality/health within weeks of coming back. No oline in the league will be able to keep him totally safe.

So is a Manning in self preservation mode worth it? For as long as he plays, absolutely. It's Peyton Manning for gods sake. But he won't play for long so I hope we prepare a plan B as well as plan A if we bite and bring him here.

I doubt we get a full season from him, but they'd be a great few games I guess...

I wasn't comparing him to the "average person" in a pyshical sense (I thought that was pretty apparent) I was comparing the competative mind set. The average person wouldn't risk it because they don't have the same fire and competative mindset as Manning. It doesn't matter what YOU think he can do, it matters what Peyton thinks he can do. The only way Peyton won't play is if he CAN'T play.

What we're trying to get across here is that there's NOTHING he can do to speed the process or improve his rehab. There's no amazing rehab technique he can employ to regenerate nerve damage. He just has to wait and pray for a ****ing miracle. And at this point, it'd need to be a damn big one. Because when he got that third desperation surgery months after the first two, that was a real bad sign.

So if you want Peyton Manning to play here and give you three years of great QB play, you'd better hope Tebow flies up to Indy and lays hands on him.

I wasn't comparing him to the "average joe" in a pyshical sense (I thought that was pretty apparent) I was comparing the competative mind set. The average person wouldn't risk it because they don't have the same fire and competative mind set as Manning. It doesn't matter what YOU think he can do, it matters what Peyton thinks he can do. The only way Peyton won't play is if he CAN'T play.
Fair point ... And my point is most fan's aren't seeing the negative side too his condition .. they are hooked on his Status as an Elite QB ... Thinking if he comes back, he'll be the same or close to the same ... But the type of surgery HE has had won't allow him to ever be 100% .. and when you take into consideration it's the NECK and Arm that are affected, the same arm that has made him GREAT ... you begin to realize he is not worth spending millions of dollars on; in HOPES he can be 100%

What we're trying to get across here is that there's NOTHING he can do to speed the process or improve his rehab. There's no amazing rehab technique he can employ to regenerate nerve damage. He just has to wait and pray for a ****ing miracle. And at this point, it'd need to be a damn big one. Because when he got that third desperation surgery months after the first two, that was a real bad sign.

So if you want Peyton Manning to play here and give you three years of great QB play, you'd better hope Tebow flies up to Indy and lays hands on him.

OMG, really ...?

I never said there was a way to speed anything up or that he was some sort of super human. All I'm saying is that the ONLY way a person like Peyton Manning doesn't play, is if he CAN'T play. That's it. If Peyton Manning is physically capable of playing he will play, regardless of whether YOU think he can or should play, or not.

Fair point ... And my point is most fan's aren't seeing the negative side too his condition .. they are hooked on his Status as an Elite QB ... Thinking if he comes back, he'll be the same or close to the same ... But the type of surgery HE has had won't allow him to ever be 100% .. and when you take into consideration it's the NECK and Arm that are affected, the same arm that has made him GREAT ... you begin to realize he is not worth spending millions of dollars on; in HOPES he can be 100%

Totally understand that and it's a completely valid point. Personally, I think he is done but he doesn't know it yet... However, I am wrong ALL THE TIME :)

OMG, really ...?

I never said there was a way to speed anything up or that he was some sort of super human. All I'm saying is that the ONLY way aperson like Peyton Manning doesn't play, is if he CAN'T play. That's it. If Peyton Manning is physically capable of playing he will play, regardless of whether YOU think he can or should play, or not.

I got you. I tried to read too much into your post -- I guess I have seen so many "oh my goodness, he's an athlete! Of course he can rehab from it! He's like superman!" posts that I'm starting to see them when they're not even there.

You're right, that it's possible he tries to sign with another team, knowing full well that he's in real bad shape. He has the opportunity to really screw over someone's franchise this season, and I just hope it's not ours. Been saying for months that I really do hope he goes to the Jets, because I think that ends worse than the Favre signing did.

Peyton manning may recover from surgery to play in the NFL again. He's obsessive, driven and football to his core.

He probably won't take a hit that paralyses him. That's a bit melodramatic. But I bet within the first few months of coming back he takes a hit that is excruciatingly painful and causes him some problems where he begins to realise the consequences of going out on a Sunday and taking severe punishment to a body the was already getting old,. Now he's extremely vulnerable in an area that take a lot of strain and could determine his future mobility and quality of life.

I don't care who you are. Self-preservation is not an instinct to be ignored and Manning will get a reminder of the precariousness of his mortality/health within weeks of coming back. No oline in the league will be able to keep him totally safe.

So is a manning in self preservation mode worth it? For as long as he plays, absolutely. It's Peyton Manning for gods sake. But he won't play for long so I hope we prepare a plan B as well as he plan A if we bite and bring him here.

I doubt we get a full season from him, but they'd be a great few games I guess...
Excellent points!!! you also need to remember when you get Cervical Spinal Fusion Surgery, believe it or not a sneeze or cough can have extremely bad consequences to the nerves in his throwing arm ... this type of surgery ALTERS the NATURAL Movement of the Human Anatomy!!! also keep in mind, paralysis is a real possibility at any given moment when you deal with the Tender and Delicate area of the Neck ... You may not want to think it's possible, but it is INDEED very possible ... just ask any Spinal Surgeon!!! but you are being very realistic in your analysis he won't make it through a full season ...

Assuming Manning is released and is cleared to play again, the best case scenario (Super Bowl Champs) heavily outweighs the worst case scenario (he is half his former self and we finish 6-10 again).

It's a not brain-er if you ask me (assuming he is released and can pass a physical).

People not even asking the real risk/reward question here...

What is Peyton Manning's risk/reward? What is his risk versus his reward.

Risking further injury to an already very severe neck injury or hope to win another Super Bowl in a division where I have to play Tom Brady at least twice a year.

And some people call me selfish.

People not even asking the real risk/reward question here...

What is Peyton Manning's risk/reward? What is his risk versus his reward.

Risking further injury to an already very severe neck injury or hope to win another Super Bowl in a division where I have to play Tom Brady at least twice a year.

And some people call me selfish.

I know.

But Manning has had a third surgery. He's clearly aiming to come back. His dad is putting the maximum positive spin on the situation.

It doesn't look at this stage that he has decided the risk isn't worth it. That day will come sooner rather than later in my view. Someone will attempt to take his head off (look at the story of 49ers KR/PR Williams being targeted because he is concussion prone - think Manning won't be targeted?) and the man with three neck ops and cervical joints fused together with plates and screws is going to reassess the need to go out and prove the Miami Dolphins or some other team is playoff-worthy.

Eh, I don't know if three surgeries necessarily means he's clearly aiming to come back. I mean obviously he wants to come back but surgery after surgery means he just wants to live a healthy life more than anything.

Cervical Spinal Fusion Surgery, doesn't discriminate against the "AVERAGE JOE" from Peyton Manning or any Athlete for that matter ... This situation is not like having a torn ACL, MCL or Rotator Cuff tear!!! In those cases "ATHLETES" can FAR out rehab the average person to come back as good or better than before the injury!!! in Spinal Fusion cases, your dealing with Vertebra's, Bone Grafs or Bone Cadavors, Titanium or Metal Plates and most of all Spinal Disc removal ... Spinal Fusion doesn't allow for any person with more desire than the average person to get better faster or quicker ... Manning's DESIRE is clouding his judgement in this situation ... no matter how much the "AVERAGE FAN" wants to SPIN IT; because they want Manning in a Dolphins Uniform, there is no escaping the realities of the type of surgery and it's after affects Fusion Surgery causes the human body .... ANYONE who thinks because it's Peyton Manning and he is an NFL Player he's going to get better YOUR ALL FOOLING YOURSELVES!!! EDUCATE YOUR MINDS 1st before blindly making statements about Manning being in Miami ...

I find it ironic that you're telling people to educate themselves about Peyton's condition before making a decision. The last time I checked fans don't sign players. One more thing he is dealing with the absolute best doctors and surgeons on the planet. If he passes a physical and has the same velocity on his throws you sign him. Simple as that!

Back
Top Bottom