Robertson, Vilma two big reasons why Jets’ switch to 3-4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Robertson, Vilma two big reasons why Jets’ switch to 3-4

BAMAPHIN 22

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
We hear that while head coach Eric Mangini’s goal is to steer the Jets’ defense toward a 3-4 scheme, it will likely have to be a gradual adjustment due to the fact that the Jets simply don’t have the proper personnel to fit a true 3-4 alignment at this time. Two interesting cases are 2003 first-round pick DT Dewayne Robertson and ’04 first-round pick LB Jonathan Vilma, the cornerstones of the team’s defense. While 3-4 nose tackles are required to control two gaps and hold up blockers at the line of scrimmage, Robertson is more of a one-gap, upfield guy who likes to pressure the quarterback. When asked to man two gaps as a rookie, he really struggled. Vilma’s speed and intelligence make him special, but he lacks the size of a prototypical 3-4 inside ’backer who is expected to fill gaps and take on 300-pound guards. Look for Mangini to design a defense that maximizes Robertson’s and Vilma’s skills and doesn’t ask them to regularly fill traditional 3-4 roles, which means the Jets could employ more 4-3 looks. Expect Mangini to continue collecting more big bodies for the front seven through the draft and free agency.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/default.htm?mode=afceast

PhinFan0202 said:
Yeah of course because the whole team won't be injured, that's a given.

For me, that gets us back five games... 9-7.

BZ

haha lets not over due this whole jets are going to be better thing seriously most of the players that were injured last year arnt even on the team anymore and i dont see any miracle turn around happening within a year, the jets are in complete rebuilding mode they are very inexperienced and dont have many leaders on the team with the exception of vilma whose considered a veteran already on that team...chad comming back imo only hurts the jets hes going to once again get injured like he does and force patrick ramsey into a sticky stiuation and they are going to see many games slip away and i think we can all agree that curtis martin is at the end of his career and is really slipping, i think the jets have the potential to be a 6-10 team next year maybe with reggie bush they would of been 7-9 but probably 6-10....im not buying that the jets will be competitive for another 3-4 years....sorry but no way that team that you have right now has the talent to be a 9-7 team with a bunch of unproven rookies and an unproven young head coach

I would be happy with a 6-10 season as long as we get some good production out of our young kids and get Clemens some snaps late in the season.

I think 9-7 is a little bit of a reach.. but you never know..

BwanaZulia said:
For me, that gets us back five games... 9-7.

BZ

Curtis Martin is a year older, you dont really have a QB, You lost mawae and Ty law.....

Id say 5-11 6-10 will be the Jets record next season

But you had a good draft so the future could be bright

I say 6-10 is a realistic record for this year.
Right now the team is actually worse off than they were last year on opening day. They will improve though.
I honestly do not see them competing for the division title this year but 2007 is a different story!

Alex22 said:
Curtis Martin is a year older, you dont really have a QB, You lost mawae and Ty law.....

Id say 5-11 6-10 will be the Jets record next season

But you had a good draft so the future could be bright

Curtis is a year older, but we now have 3 other RBs back there to take the load (Blaylock, Houstan, Washington).

We have 3 QBs all of which will be competing for a starting job.

Ty Law was a cancer.

Meet the new Mawae, Nick Mangold.

BZ

BwanaZulia said:
Ty Law was a cancer.

BZ

Sometimes, a team gets better simply by who they release. An unhappy camper in the locker room can infect the entire team.

3 other RBs back there to take the load (Blaylock, Houstan, Washington).

Which one of those guys would you want to have starting, assuming C Mart gets hurt.

BwanaZulia said:
Curtis is a year older, but we now have 3 other RBs back there to take the load (Blaylock, Houstan, Washington).

We have 3 QBs all of which will be competing for a starting job.

Ty Law was a cancer.

Meet the new Mawae, Nick Mangold.

BZ

I doubt that the Jets will start a rookie over Pennington and Ramsey. I think that he is likely your QB for the future and may be the starter in the next couple of years.

How was Law a cancer? I haven't heard anywhere that he was a cancer to the Jets. He might of been angry or something like that with the teammates or coaches, but could you blame him?

Back
Top Bottom