Rose Bowl Game | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rose Bowl Game

LenDale got Huff good with that straight arm though. They'll see each again, no doubt. Next time it will be on a sunday!!

Stacks said:
LenDale got Huff good with that straight arm though. They'll see each again, no doubt. Next time it will be on a sunday!!

When Miami plays Pittsburgh perhaps, according to some mocks.

kastofsna120 said:
white will be drafted higher than pittsburgh now....he's just gotta be

There are a lot of good players in the draft

My post game thoughts:

1) Matt Leinart. Is it just me, or does this guy have no armstrength? He has great WRs that made a few good catches for him. FINALLY he played a good defense and he had trouble in the first half. Ive said it a few times that the Pac-10 doesnt play defense and look what happened to Leinart when he played a good D. He had a horrible 1st half, and a good second half. That tells me Pete Carroll did a great job making adjustments at halftime, like he usually does.

Also, what lost the most points for me was Leinart's quote after the game. "I think we (USC) are still the better team." Learn to be humble in losing. USC was up 2 scores with 5 mins left in the game and lost. The better team won. I wouldnt want a guy on my team who couldnt handle losing. Composure is everything in the NFL and EVERY TEAM loses. He looked so disguisted on the sidelines when Texas was marching on their last drive. He had his helmet on and his head down like he already gave up. Im glad we are picking 15th and wont take Leinart and Im glad he stayed in school another year or he might be our QB now.

2) Reggie Bush. I think that attemped lateral was just nerves and him trying to do too much. He danced around too many times before he turned on the speed. A few times on kick returns and runs he was dancing around behind blockers looking for holes. Texas did a great job of containing him and sealing up gaps and not giving him gaping wide running lanes to run in. Again, another sign of how the Pac-10 doesnt play defense and how much better Texas is defensively. Once Reggie got into open space he exploded. I think this tendency will HURT him in the NFL. The NFL is so much faster than College and if you tend to dance behind players and wait for the gaping hole, you are going nowhere in the NFL. LenDale White did an excellent job of making holes for himself. Notice how Texas IMO contained Reggie Bush and even though Texas contained LenDale White, he seemed to always get extra yards after contact. I cant believe I am saying this, call me crazy, but I think Reggie Bush might need to bulk up a little bit or learn to not dance behind players and wait forever for his blocks to form if he wants to be successful in the NFL. He should still be the top pick in the draft, but I would rather have a Ronnie Brown type RB than Reggie Bush as of right now.

3) Vince Young. Flat out he is the MVP in College. Without him, the Texas offense is nothing. Vince Young is a GREAT college player but I dont think he does anything in the NFL. His accuracy is good, however his WRs were wide open most of the game. His mechanics are flat out horrible and would need serious work to succeed in the NFL. He needs to stay in school for another year and work on his throwing. Texas is returning a lot of underclassmen and he needs to stay in school and win a national championship again.

4) All WRs. Wow, I can barely remember more than 5 drops in this game. It seemed all WRs did a great job getting open and making clutch catches.

5) Huff. Great game. Period. That was a great spotlight for him against the best offense in the Nation and he showed up. That game should help his draft stock.

6) That non-call on Vince Young's knee. Stop whining about it. Instead of a TD, it would have been first and goal on the 5. Young would have just ran it in and scored 10 seconds later so instead of USC having the ball with 19 seconds left, they would have had it with 9 seconds left. That wasnt a game changing play. A game changing play was going for it on 4th and 2 and giving Texas the ball with good field position. Pete Carroll is usually an agressive coach. Now I know hindsight is 20/20 and if he would have made the 1st down, the game would have been different. USC had a chance to win the game with a 1st down or pin Texas deep or attempt a very long FG or give Texas the ball with good field position. The worst case happened for USC.

Overall it was a great game and I think the refs did a great job of letting the players decide it. There were acouple bad calls, like the non-offensive pass INT on USC not called 3 times, the facemask at the end of the game was an obvious personal foul, and Vince Young's knee was definately down. But overall they let the players play and they let them decide the outcome of the game which was great.

Philter25 said:
My post game thoughts:

1) Matt Leinart. Is it just me, or does this guy have no armstrength? He has great WRs that made a few good catches for him. FINALLY he played a good defense and he had trouble in the first half. Ive said it a few times that the Pac-10 doesnt play defense and look what happened to Leinart when he played a good D. He had a horrible 1st half, and a good second half. That tells me Pete Carroll did a great job making adjustments at halftime, like he usually does.

Also, what lost the most points for me was Leinart's quote after the game. "I think we (USC) are still the better team." Learn to be humble in losing. USC was up 2 scores with 5 mins left in the game and lost. The better team won. I wouldnt want a guy on my team who couldnt handle losing. Composure is everything in the NFL and EVERY TEAM loses. He looked so disguisted on the sidelines when Texas was marching on their last drive. He had his helmet on and his head down like he already gave up. Im glad we are picking 15th and wont take Leinart and Im glad he stayed in school another year or he might be our QB now.

2) Reggie Bush. I think that attemped lateral was just nerves and him trying to do too much. He danced around too many times before he turned on the speed. A few times on kick returns and runs he was dancing around behind blockers looking for holes. Texas did a great job of containing him and sealing up gaps and not giving him gaping wide running lanes to run in. Again, another sign of how the Pac-10 doesnt play defense and how much better Texas is defensively. Once Reggie got into open space he exploded. I think this tendency will HURT him in the NFL. The NFL is so much faster than College and if you tend to dance behind players and wait for the gaping hole, you are going nowhere in the NFL. LenDale White did an excellent job of making holes for himself. Notice how Texas IMO contained Reggie Bush and even though Texas contained LenDale White, he seemed to always get extra yards after contact. I cant believe I am saying this, call me crazy, but I think Reggie Bush might need to bulk up a little bit or learn to not dance behind players and wait forever for his blocks to form if he wants to be successful in the NFL. He should still be the top pick in the draft, but I would rather have a Ronnie Brown type RB than Reggie Bush as of right now.

3) Vince Young. Flat out he is the MVP in College. Without him, the Texas offense is nothing. Vince Young is a GREAT college player but I dont think he does anything in the NFL. His accuracy is good, however his WRs were wide open most of the game. His mechanics are flat out horrible and would need serious work to succeed in the NFL. He needs to stay in school for another year and work on his throwing. Texas is returning a lot of underclassmen and he needs to stay in school and win a national championship again.

4) All WRs. Wow, I can barely remember more than 5 drops in this game. It seemed all WRs did a great job getting open and making clutch catches.

5) Huff. Great game. Period. That was a great spotlight for him against the best offense in the Nation and he showed up. That game should help his draft stock.

6) That non-call on Vince Young's knee. Stop whining about it. Instead of a TD, it would have been first and goal on the 5. Young would have just ran it in and scored 10 seconds later so instead of USC having the ball with 19 seconds left, they would have had it with 9 seconds left. That wasnt a game changing play. A game changing play was going for it on 4th and 2 and giving Texas the ball with good field position. Pete Carroll is usually an agressive coach. Now I know hindsight is 20/20 and if he would have made the 1st down, the game would have been different. USC had a chance to win the game with a 1st down or pin Texas deep or attempt a very long FG or give Texas the ball with good field position. The worst case happened for USC.

Overall it was a great game and I think the refs did a great job of letting the players decide it. There were acouple bad calls, like the non-offensive pass INT on USC not called 3 times, the facemask at the end of the game was an obvious personal foul, and Vince Young's knee was definately down. But overall they let the players play and they let them decide the outcome of the game which was great.

1 - Agreed, finally Matt Leinart was exposed, that's all I am going to say about that, because I have given all my energy in hundreds of threads about this already and they just turn into huge wars, now everyone saw for themselves, period.

2 - Also agreed. Reggie seemed like he was trying TOO hard to make plays, and that shows me that USC may have been a little scared/nervous of Texas and their D. For Reggie to make a play like that when if he just got tackeld they were in FG range plus had a 1st down, they woulda came away with SOME points, makes me think he was doing everything in his power to get a huge early lead. Normally he just goes with the flow, last night he was trying to be the flow, and it didn't work out. I also agree he danced way too much, he was liek Ronnie Brown in the begining of the season for us.

3 - I've always liked Young (hell, he is the QB of my NATIONAL CHAMPION team :lol: ) but I have always thought he still needs work for the NFL. He has the legs to make plays, but that isn't all it takes (see; Mike Vick). I also think he has a BETTER arm and better accuracy than Vick, plus Vince usually wait for a passing play to breakdown before he takes off whereas Vick just takes off period. The thing Vince needs to work on is his reads and DEFINATELY his mechanics. Dude scares me to death everytime he's being blitzed or rushed and he holds the ball out there in like a half-****ed position, or when he's being wrapped up and he holds it high above his head still looking to throw. All a lineman/linebacker would have to do is BREATHE on the ball and it'll pop out, he's gotta fix that.

4 - Yeah, the WRs played great, especially David Thomas, the Texas TE. He was making great catches all night (did you see the one where he slipped and still dove out the OPPOSITE way and caught it :eek: ), and getting the tough yards.

5 - EXACTLY. Huff has been the DB I have been lobbying for (or Jimmy Williams) because he ALWAYS seems to be around the ball, and he is a very physical DB. Although that stiff arm got the best of him, lol, I think he more than made up for it.

6 - THANK YOU. Yes, stop whining about it. First of all I have to say that, as a HUGE Texas fan, my stomach hit the floor when I saw him flip it, since it was right after Reggie's mistake and basically the same thing. Then I jumped 1098743 feet in the air when it was a TD, then my stomach dropped again when I saw the knee down AND the non-call. I wanted a legit win and I KNEW everyone would call it a fluke win if Texas didn't beat em by 7. The thing is, look what Young did all game from FURTHER out than the 5ish yard line, and on 3rd and 4th down, so even if that call came back Texas would have scored, it would have been 1st and goal on the damn 5. PLUS, the thing that seal the deal is the blown call later when Texas intercepted it and the GROUND caused a fumble but the refs said incomplete. That lead to a USC TD when it should have been Texas' ball, so call it even, both teams got a TD they shouldn't have, even though Texas woulda scored anyway and USC couldn't have cuz it wouldn't hae been their ball anymore.

Overall, AMAZING game, best one I've ever seen (made better by my boys taking out USC for the title).

:rofl:

how in the world can anyone say leinart didn't show good arm strength. that one touch pass he threw? the entire 2nd half he was zipping in passes right into his receivers' chests

kastofsna120 said:

how in the world can anyone say leinart didn't show good arm strength. that one touch pass he threw? the entire 2nd half he was zipping in passes right into his receivers' chests

yea i dont get it. was everyone blinded by vince? it doesnt make any sense that people who actually watched the game would still say he had no armstrength.

if anything you'd say young had no arm strength. he didn't zip any passes (didn't need to, so you can't really say he DOESN'T have arm strength), and the few long passes he threw soared over the receivers' heads

Roman529 said:
You can't blame it on the clock since it was in USC's back yard. The clock operators should be fired though.

How about when Texas caught the ball and ran it out of bounds, I think there was like 6:30 left on the clock, it shoulda stopped but it never did. I was PISSED at the time cuz we were down two scores with only 6 mins left and hadn't been stopping USC that quarter, or half for that matter, but at the end of the game I was LOVING it, lol, USC may have at LEAST tied it had those extra 15-ish seconds been there. When Matt shoveled it to Reggie on their last drive and he went like 40 yards I was freaking out, lol. What a freakin' game, doesn't get any better than #1 and #2 teams playing for the title, both undefeated, both with big win streaks, down to a last minute scroe on FOURTH DOWN, WOW.

Agent51 said:
How about when Texas caught the ball and ran it out of bounds, I think there was like 6:30 left on the clock, it shoulda stopped but it never did. I was PISSED at the time cuz we were down two scores with only 6 mins left and hadn't been stopping USC that quarter, or half for that matter, but at the end of the game I was LOVING it, lol, USC may have at LEAST tied it had those extra 15-ish seconds been there. When Matt shoveled it to Reggie on their last drive and he went like 40 yards I was freaking out, lol. What a freakin' game, doesn't get any better than #1 and #2 teams playing for the title, both undefeated, both with big win streaks, down to a last minute scroe on FOURTH DOWN, WOW.

the only thing that would of made it better would if USC could of gotten into FG range the last second. now that would be an exciting FG.

Nappy Roots said:
the only thing that would of made it better would if USC could of gotten into FG range the last second. now that would be an exciting FG.

yea, except as a Texas fan I prolly woulda had a heart attack before I saw if it went through the uprights or not, lollol. I swear man, during this game there were times (mainly during their 4th quarter comeback) that I thought my heart was going to pound out of my chest. My girl put BOTH hands over my heart at one point (the 4th and 5 play at the very end) and then I put my hand OVER her TWO hands and I could feel my heart pounding, :lol: . Hell, before the game even started, when they were running out of the tunnel I got that same feeling in my stomach that I do everytime before I step foot on the field, that nervous/fluttery/excited feeling.

kastofsna120 said:

Its pretty easy. Watching the game, throughout the entire first half, I saw Leinart throw up lame ducks the entire time. He has good touch on his finesse passes, but he seemed to move and throw in slow motion. Arm strength has NOTHING to do with a soft touch pass. There were some passes that Texas defenders knocked incomplete where I thought if Leinart put a little more mustard on the ball, the ball would have gotten to his receiver before the defender and it would have been a completed pass.

Of course I wouldnt expect a Leinart hugger like you to agree with me. ;)

Back
Top Bottom