Ryan Mallet thrilled with Dolphins workout (Radio interview answers) | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ryan Mallet thrilled with Dolphins workout (Radio interview answers)

maybe i am...i'm not saying don't do it...it's a part of what cam brings to the table...i'd just be counting how often i went to that well every week...i'm definitely not gonna use this guy like a rb and have him carrying the rock 15 times a game in the pros...

realistically ck...if cam newton can be used the way that you are talkin he could change the game at the nfl level...a duel threat qb that you can run in the pros on the regular and who has the arm to gash you with high level passing skills at the nfl level... thats a game changer if he pulls it off

I'm not talking about giving him 15 carries a game. I'm talking about incorporating some run/pass option stuff. Opens up the passing game, and provides a little extra ground and pound. It's nothing new or revolutionary, we saw it in Atlanta with Vick and saw it in Tennessee with Young, saw it in Kansas City with Tyler Thigpen, in Miami with the Wildcat and Pat White and now every team in the league does it. I just don't know why the ideal run/pass threat finally comes along and you strip all that out of the playbook and say no, he's taking pocket passes and only pocket passes and that's the end of it.

For every game that ended like the Ohio State and Alabama games ended, with Mallett throwing an interception while trying to embark on game-winning drives, there were games like the Georgia game that were close and Mallett performed his best in crunch time.

For all the talk about the situation Mallett found himself in against Ohio State, if you look at the previous drive, that was a big crunch moment drive as well. They started 1st & 10 and Mallett played well on the drive but a holding penalty and I believe a drop contributed to their punting with 4:30 left in the game, down 31-26. The only reason Arkansas got the ball back with 1:09 remaining at a spot where they had a LEGIT chance at a winning touchdown drive, was because of a punt block. Otherwise it would have been the PREVIOUS drive, the one marred by a holding penalty causing a 1st & 21, that would have been the real culprit.

And of course, if Mallett's WRs don't drop a ridiculous number of balls, Arkansas isn't down in the score to begin with.

Just playing a bit of Devil's Advocate.....Mallet played a Georgia team that just installed a 3-4 this year with a new Defense coach. Georgia did not play very well this year in general.

Especially so that you can use that 2nd round pick on either a defensive lineman that is not suited for your defensive scheme, or a tiny experimental wildcat player.

A tiny wildcat player when Clint Sintim and Connor Barwin are still on the board.

And I'll never understand why we didn't trade Merling for Cliff Avril when we that rumor was making the rounds. Seemed to be a good trade from the outside looking in. But je ne sais rien...

so you want him to put his head down in the pros and dig for yardage repeatedly??? he'll be on ir with a concussion...he may be bigger and stronger than a lot of these guys in the pros but these cats pack a whallop also

i understand the want for run pass option plays but i don't think you want cam going headfirst into piles in the pros all that often

2:13 to 2:39 - WTF did I just watch? At first I thought I just saw happy feet, but then it hit me that this guy has uncanny awareness to go with that amazing size and strength. At this point I'd be happy with Newton or Mallett. Both are absolutely amazing in their own ways. I guess it just comes down to A) if either or both are available at #15, and B) which skillset Ireland and Sparano prefer. Obviously if both are gone at #15, this is a moot point. But I would be ecstatic to get either of these guys.

All I can say is that some of you want to draft a RB who can escape and scramble if needed, can anyone of you tell me what scrambling qb has one a sb besides Elway the answer is 0 look at the past 10 sb all winners were pocket passers with Rodgers the only exception and even he would rather stand and deliver.. Mallett is the answer at 15 PERIOD

Just playing a bit of Devil's Advocate.....Mallet played a Georgia team that just installed a 3-4 this year with a new Defense coach. Georgia did not play very well this year in general.

UGA played a helluva lot better on defense under Todd Grantham than they had the previous 2 years under Willie Martinez running a 4-3, which is why they fired him and installed a 3-4 system.

I think the point that gets overlooked regarding Mallett and the Georgia game is that he played clutch in crunch time. He brought them back and made incredibly clutch reads and throws to win the game... all while facing pressure from Georgia's defense..

Everybody that played UGA faced that same 3-4 defense, including Cam Newton, who also led Auburn back from a deficit against Georgia. Todd Grantham came from the NFL and faced both quarterbacks... even he doubts Cam Newton can hack it in the NFL.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Magoo has a good point about Newton being so tall (I know we are deviating from him as a passer but it creates good dicussion) . It is something that I was thinking about myself. As much of a beast as Newton (and he certainly is one) is, a 6'6'' runner is only going to be able to take so many shots. Could you imagine James Harrison with a helmet to the ribs... And being that tall, you inherently expose so much upper body. So even if he is successful as a runner in the nfl, I imagine it only being a short-term thing. I Know Mike Vick has incorporated some of that into his game throughout his entire career (and virtually all he was successful with in Atlanta), but Mike Vick has the speed and quickness to avoid those bone-crushing hits and Mike Vick isn't 6'6''. I think it's an apples-to-oranges comparsion.

All I can say is that some of you want to draft a RB who can escape and scramble if needed, can anyone of you tell me what scrambling qb has one a sb besides Elway the answer is 0 look at the past 10 sb all winners were pocket passers with Rodgers the only exception and even he would rather stand and deliver.. Mallett is the answer at 15 PERIOD

And since when is Cam Newton a scrambling QB? He runs on designed passes about the same amount of time that Aaron Rodgers did last year. Try again.

Try again??? Look at Cam Newtons rushing yards through last year, they over 1000 tell me if aaron rodgers ever did that in college the answer is NO.... Comparing Newton to Rodgers is like Comparing a pinto to an BMW... So on your behalf try again...

A tiny wildcat player when Clint Sintim and Connor Barwin are still on the board.

And I'll never understand why we didn't trade Merling for Cliff Avril when we that rumor was making the rounds. Seemed to be a good trade from the outside looking in. But je ne sais rien...

whats so great about clint sintim??? to my knowledge he's done jack squat as a pro

I agree with CK. Newton is big enough, strong enough to be able to do zone option reads at times in the NFL. I wouldnt compare him to Jacobs in running style though. Jacobs runs through people, and his body takes a beating. If you would watch the video posted, you can see that newton when running, especially up the middle, does not try to fight for the extra yards, and goes down quite easily for being so big. he does a good job at protecting himself. He'll gain 5-6 yards, then go down when a player is bearing down on him.

You never know if the Lions would have actually said yes to that trade.

What I don't get really to this day is why Miami didn't take that 272 lbs player from Clemson, make him more like a 262 lbs player, and have him play the same kind of position Matt Roth did. That's always how I saw him. When they made their intentions clear to put Merling at 3-4 DE, suddenly that went from a "strong" pick for me to a "what?" pick. To me he was always either a 4-3 LDE or maybe one of those jumbo OLBs for the 3-4 like we've seen around the league, including in Miami with Roth. But a 3-4 DE? Man, that's a Langford job, not a Merling job.

Not exactly like Clint Sintim or Connor Barwin have been much better though I understand those were the fan favorites at the spot we picked Pat White. Honestly I wanted Sean Smith at that spot, lol. They picked Pat White and I ordered like 3 shots from the bar right on the spot. I walked home and saw they picked up Sean Smith and that provided a small bright spot in an otherwise dark and disagreeable day.

2:13 to 2:39 - WTF did I just watch? At first I thought I just saw happy feet, but then it hit me that this guy has uncanny awareness to go with that amazing size and strength. At this point I'd be happy with Newton or Mallett. Both are absolutely amazing in their own ways. I guess it just comes down to A) if either or both are available at #15, and B) which skillset Ireland and Sparano prefer. Obviously if both are gone at #15, this is a moot point. But I would be ecstatic to get either of these guys.

He does have great awareness. He needs to translate that awareness and polish it up to the level that Ryan Mallett has managed to polish up his sense for pressure. The tools are there for Cam Newton, every single one he'll need. And that's not just talking physical tools, the mental ones as well.

Back
Top Bottom