Ryan Mallet thrilled with Dolphins workout (Radio interview answers) | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ryan Mallet thrilled with Dolphins workout (Radio interview answers)

I think that Vikings pick before ours will be HUGE in determining who drops to us, QB-wise. I could easily see them going with Mallett. This would be the second most annoying thing that can happen, right after the Dolphins passing on Mallett or trading down while thinking they can get him later.

just wanted to correct a bit of why Mallett left Michigan. He almost left to go back to Arkansas BEFORE his freshmen season. He went to Michigan mainly because Mitch Mustain was already at Arkansas, after he transferred, Mallett seriously contemplated leaving, but Lloyd Carr talked him into staying. During the season, Mallett's attitude really rubbed a bunch of teammates the wrong way. Rodriguez coming in was just an easy out for him, but he was thinking of leaving (and probably would have left) no matter who the coach was.

And Lloyd Carr was not fired. After the previous season he wanted to retire, but the AD at the time convinced him to stay one more year. Not to turn this into a Michigan thread, but the whole situation was very messy the whole way around.

As for Mallett. If his attitude as truly changed (and I can vouch going to a few Michigan games that year and getting to meet him, he had quite the ego on him), I'm all for bringing him here. The cocaine rumors bug me, but as of now they are still just rumors.

We've done more research on the subject than anyone outside of an NFL team, and I haven't seen any corroboration of your reasoning for why Mallett chose Michigan, or any corroboration of your report that Mallett was already going to transfer out of Michigan.

What we HAVE seen though, is that rumor mills can churn out a lot of things that are FALSE, with people spreading word-of-mouth stuff that has no real basis in reality. I'm not saying you're basing your claims on nothing, I'm sure you heard what you say is true with respect to those two things. But what you heard has not been corroborated, and probably should get filed in the rumor mill folder.

I'd rather take a risk of, is this QB's talent going to translate to the NFL NOT Is this going going to sniff his way out of a career. I'd rather take the risk of what kind of an impact is a rookie RB going to have with a team that has major Oline issue Not is his knee going to last past his first year.
I'm not a believer in these BS unsubstantiated rumors about Mallet and Cocaine. If there were something to it, it wouldn't be just rumors. Notice how this talk has quieted?

I am confident in not having to worry about off field issues with Mallet therefore, the risk there is minimal.

lemme ask you something...you guys research seems to point to mallet MAYBE being an occasional pot smoker...there is still no concrete evidence to suggest anything harder...if teams doing their homework on this kid have roughly the same findings what gives you confidence mallet makes it to pick #15 other than the old school mentality gms and coaches seem to have when it comes to drug use and qbs and that for all we know right now mallets name is not one that seems to be moving up the boards rumors wise???

Important stipulation. Our research points to there being SOMETHING, something that is presumably important, that we do NOT know. And whatever this something is, 99% of the rest of people out there don't know it either, and the ones that do are not putting it out for public consumption. We can speculate what that is, but it's baseless speculation. The only "evidence" is that when he was arrested for public drunkenness, the cop SAYS he smelled like marijuana. So if you want to speculate that the big something is marijuana, then nobody can claim that your speculation is "baseless"...it would have a basis, but not a strong one. Before you thought the big something was cocaine addiction. I personally see some ways to deduce that cocaine addiction is probably not it...but who knows?

What you have is a media market and fanbase that are attempting very hard to come up with a reason not to like Ryan Mallett. They're trying extremely hard, through a combination of making mountains out of molehills, and/or just making things up. I'm not saying it's a conscious or nefarious effort. But it's there and it's pretty undeniable based on what we've seen. Why would they do that? I think it's because everyone knows and has taken their cues from the NFL that this guy has a big issue that's not "known" within the public sphere. But it looks bad when someone expresses an opinion that so-and-so, who clearly has 1st round talent at the most important position on the football field, should not be a 1st rounder because "Well...just...because...I can't say what it is he's done, but it's not good." Nobody likes that, nobody settles for it, so that's why they go about making mountains out of molehills and/or creating negatives out of thin air. People want to know things, they can't stand not knowing things. And they want to know why Ryan Mallett is not a 1st rounder.

All we are doing, we being our UD piece, is calling a spade a spade, and pointing out there are a lot of over-reactions and baseless criticisms out there, not to mention directly false information. Yes, we realize there's probably something we don't know and it's a significant thing. But NFL teams aren't sharing, and whatever they do share with you has to be looked upon skeptically as teams are intentionally untruthful this time of year. We just believe that whatever it is that constitutes this smoking gun has to be viewed within the context of his history at Arkansas, which is littered with reports of what a hard worker he was, his ability to win 10 games at Arkansas, leading one of the most prolific passing offenses in the history of the SEC, his ability to elevate the talent levels of the players around him, his ability to (for whatever reason, ulterior or altruistic, doesn't matter) inspire teammates to go to bat for him, his ability to inspire coaches and local media to do the same, his ability to come off sounding like a good guy in interviews, and finally his ability to put on display NFL franchise skills that produce on Sundays. So whatever this smoking gun is, has to be viewed within all that context.

Because we don't know it, we can't say for certain where this guy is going to go in the Draft. You have to try and do what is difficult, figure out where teams are REALLY leaning. Follow the clues. Right now, I'm seeing teams like Seattle taking an interest in him, them picking late in the 1st round, and the Bengals, who pick early in R2, I hear the Vikings looked at him and I know he's got a secret visit lined up with the Patriots who I'll be damned if they'd use their early 1st rounder on him. The money seems to be where the mouth is, for SOME teams, in the claim that Ryan Mallett is being looked at as a late 1st or 2nd round guy. That could change.

I strongly believe that Ryan Mallett is more pro ready that either Gabbert or Newton. To me its more than playing in a pro style. The ability to handle pressure, the accuracy, the arm strenght... Mallett is very solid in these areas.

By the way CK, Chad Henne did not play in a national championship game (although the 06 OSU game might as well have been one).

I strongly believe that Ryan Mallett is more pro ready that either Gabbert & Newton. To me its more than playing in a pro style. The ability to handle pressure, the accuracy, the arm strenght... Mallett is very solid in these areas.

By the way CK, Chad Henne did not play in a national championship game (although the 06 OSU game might as well have been one).

Man, I could swear he went to the championship game when he was a frosh. Maybe I'm just thinking of them being in contention to go to the National Championship Game if they'd beaten Ohio State in that final game before the Bowl? They were the Big Ten Champs.

BTW there's definitely a strong argument to be made that Mallett is more pro-ready than Newton. In fact, for most it's probably like a "duh" statement. But I have a feeling that if both played as rookies, Cam would have about as much success. Part of that is that whoever takes Cam is going to adapt their offense to him, wherease whoever takes Ryan will have him adapt to their offense.

Man, I could swear he went to the championship game when he was a frosh.
Michigan played Vince Young in the rose bowl his freshman year (very good game). His sophomore yr. Michigan went 11-0 until losing to OSU and then USC in the rose bowl. Junior year was a rough one, and Michigan lost to Nebraska in the alamo bowl. Senior year Michigan beat Florida in the Capital One Bowl.

You make an interesting point about whoever takes Newton will adept thier offense to his skill set. I was thinking about it... Have we ever seens an athlete THIS good playing quarterback? I mean 250 lbs. strong, fast. I mean the kid is a straight up beast. Newton may never completely adept to a pro style but the thing is he might not need to. I don't think there has ever been a quarterback quite like this.

We've done more research on the subject than anyone outside of an NFL team, and I haven't seen any corroboration of your reasoning for why Mallett chose Michigan, or any corroboration of your report that Mallett was already going to transfer out of Michigan.

What we HAVE seen though, is that rumor mills can churn out a lot of things that are FALSE, with people spreading word-of-mouth stuff that has no real basis in reality. I'm not saying you're basing your claims on nothing, I'm sure you heard what you say is true with respect to those two things. But what you heard has not been corroborated, and probably should get filed in the rumor mill folder.

I totally agree with you here CK. I remember people were saying the same thing about Dan Marino and how he was a partier and drug user at Pitt. When it came time to the draft there were probably five or six teams that passed on Marino and went with another QB, or another player altogether. I think Mallett was arrested for intoxication but never for drug use. I remember my college days and partying hard at times, but once I left college and got a job I changed my ways. If we take Mallett, someone like Pennington could probably mentor him and get him to focus on learning the playbook and maturing as a person. I hope Mallett is the QB we take....and Ponder would be my 2nd choice.

Michigan played Vince Young in the rose bowl his freshman year (very good game). His sophomore yr. Michigan went 11-0 until losing to OSU and then USC in the rose bowl. Junior year was a rough one, and Michigan lost to Nebraska in the alamo bowl. Senior year Michigan beat Florida in the Capital One Bowl.

You make an interesting point about whoever takes Newton will adept thier offense to his skill set. I was thinking about it... Have we ever seens an athlete THIS good playing quarterback? I mean 250 lbs. strong, fast. I mean the kid is a straight up beast. Newton may never completely adept to a pro style but the thing is he might not need to. I don't think there has ever been a quarterback quite like this.

I think Daunte Culpepper in his prime was about as beastly. Same physical characteristic where if they were a linebacker, you'd draft them in the 1st round on physical prowess alone. Culpepper kinda got fat, never took his tape study to a second level, had the knee tear which was devastating to him. But for a while he was about as good as it got.

I totally agree with you here CK. I remember people were saying the same thing about Dan Marino and how he was a partier and drug user at Pitt. When it came time to the draft there were probably five or six teams that passed on Marino and went with another QB, or another player altogether. I think Mallett was arrested for intoxication but never for drug use. I remember my college days and partying hard at times, but once I left college and got a job I changed my ways. If we take Mallett, someone like Pennington could probably mentor him and get him to focus on learning the playbook and maturing as a person. I hope Mallett is the QB we take....and Ponder would be my 2nd choice.

I go back to what I heard when I was at the Shrine practices which is a very connected guy telling me that "everyone" keeps telling him that Mallett did cocaine, but that "nobody" will confirm it. I think what they have on him could be cocaine, could be marijuana, could be both. But I doubt anyone has anything showing he's an habitual user.

BTW there's definitely a strong argument to be made that Mallett is more pro-ready than Newton. In fact, for most it's probably like a "duh" statement. But I have a feeling that if both played as rookies, Cam would have about as much success. Part of that is that whoever takes Cam is going to adapt their offense to him, wherease whoever takes Ryan will have him adapt to their offense.

I agree with all of this. Also, a QB with the physical tools of Newton will play against simpler D's. Teams will throw exotic D's at Mallet trying to confuse him. Teams will do this some with Newton, but they'll also have to be 'honest' - for fear of his scrambling ability. Newton will likely never - as long as he stays in shape - see man-to-man coverage where someone isn't spying him.

i think mallets the most pro ready but i also think it makes zero sense not to incorporate a ton of that auburn offense in your gameplan if you draft newton...play to his strengths

I go back to what I heard when I was at the Shrine practices which is a very connected guy telling me that "everyone" keeps telling him that Mallett did cocaine, but that "nobody" will confirm it. I think what they have on him could be cocaine, could be marijuana, could be both. But I doubt anyone has anything showing he's an habitual user.

if the coke use if true was an experimental thing you know a once or twice thing i think i could keep him on my board...but if i found out the kid was in the stuff tony montana style on weekends or even casual usage and i saw evidence of any usage carrying over to arkansas...off my board he'd go

the last thing you want to do is hand a kid a ton of money and miami beach who likes to dabble with coke...recipe for disaster...

In all likelihood I think what it could be is that teams have witnesses saying they saw him do coke and/or weed, something like that, and when he got into those meeting rooms he told them yes he did some a couple of times during his year off from football, he partied too hard and then football came back around and he stopped all the partying and got back to work.

Back
Top Bottom