Ryan or Marino or Flacco or Manning | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ryan or Marino or Flacco or Manning

Who had the better rookie year??

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Your not going to get an unbiased opinion on this board. Just like you won't get one on a falcons, ravens or colts board.

Didn't Peyton set the NFL record for INTs in a season that year.
I think we can argue he is off the list.
Flacco was not sensational.

The vote comes down to Marino and Ryan.
Probably rank 1,2 in modern day NFL rookie seasons. You could argue either way and it would be hard to refute.

By the way welcome to the boards. Nice to get some opposing fans views in here.

If you get criticized for having a dissenting view, don't worry it happens no matter if you are a phins fan or not.

Thank you, yeah Im on the Falcons board a lot so I know how it works. Even if I was a Phins fan and I said I think Pennington is amazing I would have some people down my throat... Just how it is, I just enjoy good football talk.

The only reason I put Flacco was because so many people argue he was better then Ryan last year. So I felt it would be wrong to leave him off. I cant believe I for Big Ben, even though I dont like him at all. I cant believe Flacco has 3 votes though. And Mannings rookie year he threw for 3700 yards, and 28 TDs. He also had the worst line the year before that I believe they led the league in sacks allowed. He threw the all 575 times which just sounds crazy for a rookie lol.

Peyton's rookie year is underappreciated.....all anyone ever talks about is how many INT's he threw......but they leave off the fact that he also set the record for TD passes by a rookie....he was just thrown in there and told to wing it all over the place...and that's exactly what he did...

That was a terrible team that Manning played on....but he still showed why he was a special player despite how bad they were....

Marino was drafted by a team that was already mostly built...a superbowl team in fact....but his play as a rookie in the second half of the season has never been matched from a rookie prospective....I believe he also shredded a Pittsburg Steeler defense that still had players from the "Steel Curtain" around....

Matt Ryan was drafted by an organization that was a complete disaster.....and all he did was start from day 1 and lead them to the playoffs...

Roethlisberger and Flacco were kept hidden for the most part during their rookie seasons.....

It's a tough question really....there are several angles to look at it from...

Shouldn't starting from day 1 count for something? Shouldn't your team being a disaster prior to your arrival count for something? Shouldn't the fact that you basically put up pro bowl numbers in half a season count for something?

It's one of the more interesting football debates around IMO....

Who do you think had a better rookie year. I am a falcons fan so obviously I will say Ryan but lets try to be unbiased. Flacco had a really good year, Ryan had better then him but didnt go as far, Manning had the best stat wise, but Marino (from what I heard) had the best year. But a lot of experts said Matty Ice had the best rookie season what do you think??
ryan also had a very easy schedule and a great Running game

Who do you think had a better rookie year. I am a falcons fan so obviously I will say Ryan but lets try to be unbiased. Flacco had a really good year, Ryan had better then him but didnt go as far, Manning had the best stat wise, but Marino (from what I heard) had the best year. But a lot of experts said Matty Ice had the best rookie season what do you think??

Well this poll is turning out about how you would expect on this site, no surprise. But let's be realistic. Anyone who watched enough games of all of these QB's rookie seasons would have to acknowledge that Marino's was the best of these ... and the best of any QB ever thus far. I don't blame anyone for voting for their home team and favorite players ... but let's be realistic, Marino's rookie season is unequaled in NFL history, and that's not even considering the changes in rules helping the current QB's.

Ryan certainly made a believer out of me. But it's simply not fair to compare any rookie QB to Marino as a rookie. That's like comparing every LB to Lawrence Taylor, every WR to Jerry Rice, every TE to Kellen Winslow, and every FB to Larry Csonka ... those guys are just apart from everyone else in the Hall of Fame in what they did on the field. While I'd say there are other QB's in Marino's class, there really are no other rookie QB's in Marino's class as a rookie. Them's just the facts.

I didn't see anything really impressive from flacco, he just had a good defence and run game. I think his year was extremely overrated.

I would take Flacco ahead of any QB we currently have on our roster (and I mean NO disrespect to Pennington).

On the poll: Marino came into the best situation (a coach that respected marino's talents enough to change his coaching philosophy, a team that was SB runner-up teh year before, etc). Manning looked good after week 4 (remember Charlie Batch had the best start between he, Manning, and Leaf). He also set the record for INT in a rookie season. Ryan went to a bad team BUT had Michael Turner to ake some heat off him. Facco had a great defense and never had to do too much. I'll take Marino.

No question Dan Marino that was a great year for him he is so much better then any of those QBs up there

Obviously, you can't have the best rookie "season" if you only started in the 2nd half the season....

There's no question that Roethlisberger had the best rookie "season" in history....going 13-0 in the regular season and making the playoffs...

If the question was "Who is the best rookie quarterback in history"?

It's Dan Marino....

Back
Top Bottom