Ryan Tannehill: Final Word | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ryan Tannehill: Final Word

Great post slim, heres one thing that stands out to me about your post " , i keep saying tannehill reminds me of chad henne and its starting to become more clearer with assessments like you just gave. Im with you, i think miami should take a claiborne/richardson/blackmon in the first and take there chances with weedin in the 2nd.

Yesterday you said Tannehill reminded you of Moore. Which one is it? It's clear you've never seen him play and are just making uneducated comparisons

Yesterday you said Tannehill reminded you of Moore. Which one is it? It's clear you've never seen him play and are just making uneducated comparisons

I said he was no better than moore, never compared him to moore. Chad henne is the better comparison. Bad decision making, scared to get rid of the ball alot, looks more like a running back than a qb, innaccurate throws, interceptions gallore. Dont get madd at me, im just pointing out what i saw on game tape.

The problem for me is not that he needs work, IMO only A Luck can start from day one. The problem is if we take a QB at #10, we will have to start him in game one.
No we do not. Wasn't Carson Palmer the #1 overall pick for the Bengals? Did he not sit for a year? Wasn't Philip Rivers the #5 overall pick? Did he not sit for a year? Wasn't Eli Manning the #1 overall pick? Did he not sit for half a season?

Coach Philbin isn't obligated to start him day one and he knows first hand the value of sitting a QB and coaching him up since he did it with Rodgers and Flynn. Neither of which are the same QBs today that they were the day they were drafted or started a game.

He can be a very good starting qb..... I think your nitpicking, and ignoring alot of the positives....especially the oozing talent. No one said he was a finished product that will be ready day 1. You could make a very similar argument about Griffin.

I don't see the elite player of which you speak. Who is it ? If we view Tannehill as a very good starting QB in the future.... who is there that we just cant pass up for him ? Let's look at the big picture, the situation in its entirety. Blackmon, Richardson, and Claiborne wont be there.

Your proposing we pass on him for a sure thing at a far less valuable postion. You say BPA, i say its reaching for another need. This is the exact mentality that folks have been bitching about. Playing it safe, not showing any stones. You should know the draft is about Value. We're not settled at QB. Sure Decastro and Keuchly will be studs... Rieff will be good... but @ #8 you dont take a Guard or MLB, or RT, no matter how good they are. Floyd is Marshall all over again, doesnt fit the offensive philoshiphy. If they like Tannehill, theres not going to be a player there to make them re-consider.

Not entirely sure where to start here as a lot went haywire in your post.

We'll start off with Griffin. I've never insinuated that Griffin was an elite player. Ever. Not since he's been at Baylor.

As a matter of fact, I've always viewed Tannehill as the better NFL quarterback prospect. Griffin is the better college player - Tannehill projects better to the NFL. But that don't make him a franchise quarterback. Hell, I knew Chad Henne projected better to the NFL than Pat White did, but that didn't mean I viewed Henne as a franchise quarterback. It's a matter of taking the prospect's floor into account based on fundamentals rather than ceiling based in upside.

There's 5 elite talents in this draft. Luck, Richardson, Claiborne, DeCastro, and Kuechly. There's another tier of prospects just below this that fall into a borderline elite category.

One or more of those 5 elite talents will be available for Miami at #8. Riley Reiff doesn't belong in either of those categories so I'm not sure where you're going with that one.

Nor am I nitpicking Ryan Tannehill, I'm evaluating him... and I do based on a set of fundamentals both within the system he played in, and a seperate set of fundamentals that validate his potential. There's nothing being ignored, that I'll guarantee you.

BPA is not reaching for need, it's acquiring talent. If I feel like a player is a franchise quarterback, I won't pass him up. I don't consider every college kid that the talking heads hype up as franchise material as being precisely that. Most of it is driven by marketing groups and sports agents.... that's how you end up with Blaine Gabberts coming off the board early, when I know damn well better than to subscribe to that.

The draft isn't about value, it's about acquiring TALENT, particularly in the top 10 of the draft. A quarterback is only as valuable as his skillset makes him. An average quarterback prospect isn't worth more than an elite talent at less valuable position.

The problem is a lot of people go from one extreme to the other among "playing it safe" and "showing some stones". They miss all of the space in between.

Michael Floyd isn't Brandon Marshall all over again. One of the biggest components of running a WCO is having a receiver who can immediately defeat the jam at the LOS in order to get the 3-step passing game going. There's no receiver in this draft better at that than Michael Floyd. If they want him at #8, it's a better pick than reaching for Tannehill.

The people making the decisions should absolutely take Ryan Tannehill in the top 10 if they're convinced for some reason that he's a franchise quarterback. Hell, they better take Barrett Trotter or a one-legged rodeo clown in the top 10 if they're convinced he's a franchise quarterback.

My point is, I'm not conviced he's a franchise quarterback. Therefore I'd pass and feel pretty good about this one. It has nothing to do with what they're subject to do.

Jeff Ireland and myself don't necessarily seem to see eye-to-eye when it comes to personnel, never have. I'm not expecting it to start a few weeks from now.

No we do not. Wasn't Carson Palmer the #1 overall pick for the Bengals? Did he not sit for a year? Wasn't Philip Rivers the #5 overall pick? Did he not sit for a year? Wasn't Eli Manning the #1 overall pick? Did he not sit for half a season?

Coach Philbin isn't obligated to start him day one and he knows first hand the value of sitting a QB and coaching him up since he did it with Rodgers and Flynn. Neither of which are the same QBs today that they were the day they were drafted or started a game.

thats true he doesn't have to play in 2012 but lets be honest after garrard or matt moore lead us to yet another season where we're out of it before thanksgiving i sure would like to see at least a 6 game look at the kid with the starting job so i have a better idea of if he's something to build around for the near future or if i need to use my likely top 12 pick on another qb in 2013...and if he sits all year we won't know squat

i'm with slimm...he's too risky in the top 10 for my taste but i i'm fully prepared for his name to be called with pick #7 or #8 and likely in either scenario to us

I said he was no better than moore, never compared him to moore. Chad henne is the better comparison. Bad decision making, scared to get rid of the ball alot, looks more like a running back than a qb, innaccurate throws, interceptions gallore. Dont get madd at me, im just pointing out what i saw on game tape.

your exact quote from yesterday "lol, because some draft guru says we should take him in the first to get him we have to listen to them, remember ryan leaf and jamarcus russell what the draft gurus said about them?? I looked at plenty of hightlights and hes a good prospect but to be honest i compare him alot to matt moore, only thing is he is much younger so he can get better but hes arm strength just isnt worth a 1st round pick"

After you watch some more youtube....I mean game tape, you'll change it to how he reminds you of Pat Devlin.

Good post, but I respectfully disagree.......this franchise has to roll the dice on a QB and I really like Tannehill's potential. Obviously he has limited experience which more than explains some of the negatives you detailed. This franchise has got to stop passing on quarterbacks...it is the major cause of the failure of the last 12 years of franchise history.

I think Tannehill will be the pick but, for me, I would feel more comfortable taking Keuchly and Weeden with our first two picks and than double up later in the draft and take Ryan Lindley. Maybe grab a Michael Egnew in round 3.

That would make me feel better than Tanny at 8 and than lets say a Mike Adams in round 2.

How does Tannehill compare to Henne (as a prospect)? My biggest fear is spending the #8 on Henne 2.0. Henne was obviously missing something that was needed to become a franchise QB. Does Tannehill have what Henne didn't, or is he a more mobile Henne with less arm strength and less starting experience?

This franchise has got to stop passing on quarterbacks...it is the major cause of the failure of the last 12 years of franchise history.

The major cause of the failure isn't passing up on quarterbacks... it's passing up on franchise caliber quarterbacks. There's a difference.

For example, when they passed on Matt Ryan, they took Jake Long and ended up with a helluva player (when healthy). They made a safe decision, but not the best one to make Miami a competitive team year in and year out.

When they passed on Brady Quinn, they made a wise decision. But they un-did that wise decision with a completely incompetent pick, when the best defensive player in the draft was sitting right there.

They made a bad decision passing on Drew Brees, but compounded that by trading a draft pick for a quarterback who was already washed up even before he was injured. The injury just exacerbated his demise. They should've traded up for Jay Cutler instead when they knew they couldn't land Brees. It could've been done because that's exactly what Denver did....traded up to #11 to take him.

Wannstedt didn't try hard enough to get Matt Hasselbeck in free agency. He went to Seattle and led them to the superbowl instead.

Here's my point, nobody is a stronger proponent of building around the quarterback position than I have been for a long time. But quarterbacks often boil down to gut feeling. It's what's in your gut that you're eventually going to go with. Taking blind stabs just to take them in an attempt to make up for all your past mistakes will get you nowhere just as fast.

Tannehill just isn't the quarterback that you want to pass up elite talent for in the top 10 of the draft. You're reaching for something that isn't there right now. Which is always acceptable as long as you're not passing up a truly elite player at another position.

There's a quarterback who's better than Tannehill right now who Miami might be able to get at the top of the 2nd round. There's 3 or 4 other quarterbacks in this draft that Miami could get even later than that who are no more developmental than Tannehill is, and have just as much upside.

It makes no sense to take the same caliber of player with the 8th overall pick that you can get with the 73rd overall pick.

I agree with the final word for the most part, but the only thing that makes me comfortable with Tannehill at #8 is that our OC was his college coach. If we didnt have that direct connection to Tannehill on our staff, I would be worried about drafting him at #8. If Miami takes him at #8, I'll be fine with it becauuse I trust that Sherman knows what we are getting more than anyone else.

Also, I think its strange that Tannehill's value has gone up because he's played less. People equate less playing time to more room for improvement and a higher ceiling. It seems backwards to me. We all know what happens to QB's who declare for the draft their junior year - they have a much higher rate of failure than QB's who stay in college for their senior year. Although Tannehill played his senior year, he's had about as much playing time as most junior QB's.

VERY sound logic. I totally agree. If you believe the reason Flynn isn't a dolphin is because the staff knew enough about him to know he wasn't starter material, then you have to trust the same staff if they like or dislike Tannehill. If they think he is worth the 8th overall pick then they have more information than we do, having a coach in Sherman that used to coach him.

I also TOTALLY agree with your comparrison of Tannehill to a Jr QB coming out early. Draft experts in the NFL and especially in the NBA, seem to lump all unknown attributes into the positive catagory and call it potential. That has never made sense to me. QBs evolve different ways and different speeds, and most of the problems they have can be worked out or worked around with the right coaching staff. But the problem comes from problems that CAN'T be worked out, and there are always a few of those as well. Sanchez is a prime example, there was much to like about him coming out of college, but there was much unknown about him as well. Once the league started figuring his strengths and weaknesses he begin to turn into what we have today, which is a very average or below QB, with a very low ceiling. The lack of experience in college is NEVER a good thing in my opinion. The fact that Tannehill was better last year than this year bothers me even more.

Bottom line is I am going to trust the staff we have in place to make the decision. If we take him I am going to assume it is because they see the future in him more than the presesnt. Moore is a very servicable QB until we can get a more talented player ready. It's not like anyone short of Manning was taking us to the playoffs any way. So if they draft him great, if not that is fine too. He has his warts like a lot of others. I think taking him at 8 is reaching, but if he's your guy then sometimes you have to reach.

I guess it depends on your definition of franchise QB. If he has a career similar to Matt Hasselback or Joe Flacco then id be happy taking him at 8

Back
Top Bottom