Ryan Tannehill rated as the NFL's 2nd best deep ball thrower

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Adam First, May 9, 2017.

1. Adam First

Adam First Don't Hate Miami Finheaven VIP Donator

(oh boy, it's one of these threads again)

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachp...best-deep-ball-thrower-via-deep-ball-project/

2. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

And water is wet

miami365 and damaster21 like this.
  3. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

Love it. And last season he was doing it great. Improvement every year (except when Wallace was here)

Where's everyone claiming he sucked or still does?

insomnia411 likes this.
  4. Fin Thirteen

Fin Thirteen FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Last season was the first one I can recall enjoying watching the Dolphin's offense in many years. Tannehill has to take a lot of credit for that, but also Christensen and Ajayi for getting Gase to move to having the run set up the pass. It's easy to forget a lot of us were about to declare ourselves finished with this offense after 5 or 6 weeks. But during all that Tannehill deep passing was on the money.

Avigatorx likes this.
  5. insomnia411

insomnia411 The world is yours

I was curious to know exactly what the numbers were on Tannehill's deep passing because he was certainly noticeably better last year than he has been in previous years. It really sucks that Tannehill got hurt when he did because the one deep throw that he made to Stills in the Arizona game for our first score of the game really sticks out as just a perfectly thrown bomb.
    I think Tannehill really started to come into his own in those last 5 games before he went down with injury... The entire team **** their pants in the Baltimore game, but outside of that, he tore it up in his last 5 games (11 TDs - 5 Picks with 3 in one bad game, completed almost 70% of his passes, 220 YPG) and as I mentioned, the one bad Baltimore game really dragged down otherwise amazing numbers for that stretch. He absolutely killed it against SD, SF and Arizona and he also came up with 2 amazingly clutch drives @ LA to win the game.
    I have very high hopes for Ryan this year and going forward. I think he's going to be universally considered a top 10 QB in this league starting this year.

6. Michael Scott

Michael Scott Well-Known Member

His deep ball is the biggest improvement he's made to his game since his rookie season. It's night and day in comparison. I'd imagine he will have even more success this season with a legit threat at tight end and the emergence of Parker.

I can confidently say that it's all about the guys up front for Tannehill now. When given time, he's going to make the play.

7. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

But, but but Mike Wallace was held back.

LOL

Mike Wallace was only good in a backyard style of offense where an All time great qb ran around and launched a pass to him wide open.

JakeemThe Dream and Fintastic17 like this.
  8. finomenal

finomenal A True Fan

That was one of my criticisms of his before. Anyone who still says they're not impressed with his deep ball is simply a troll or doesn't watch the games.

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  9. Bumrush

Bumrush FinHeaven VIP

Poor Orlando Alzuegary. I wonder if he is gong to maintain the same false position he's maintained despite all the evidence pointing towards the fact that Tannehill has an excellent deep ball.

10. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Well-Known Member

Tanny's got a squeeze box,
    Omar never sleeps at night.

11. Miamifinz

Miamifinz Philbin is an idiot Donator

Imagine his rank if he didn't get sacked an average of 3 times a game.

12. Travis34

Absolutely agree and I'm glad that you are so willing to admit your stance on him and how it changed, some people will never support him no matter what I believe

13. finomenal

finomenal A True Fan

Ok let's not pretend like it was always excellent. It wasn't.

Dolph N.Fan likes this.
  14. finomenal

finomenal A True Fan

That's because those people are juveniles. Tannehill didn't have sex with my gf or anything. Lol we don't even have the same taste in women! It's not that serious for me. He's a Miami Dolphin, and I'm happy he proved me wrong. That's what all of us should want.

To say otherwise is strange. What are you a fan for with that mentality?

15. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs foos-ball is the devil! Donator

It's amazing what a functional, working relationship does for a QB/HC/OC.

Tannehill doesn't seem like he's ever had an ego. Some would say that's him not displaying an Alpha mentality, but imagine going to work everyday and hating your boss and not believing in the mission. With Gase here it seems that progress can actually be made.

16. LoneStarPhin

LoneStarPhin Well-Known Member

I felt then and reaffirm now that RT's deep ball was NEVER that bad. Mike Wallace was horrible- I despised his play from day 1. Also a big part was the OL's complete lack of time given RT to drop back and launch. If you observed closely, you could sense the frustration RT must have felt with Wallace- sometimes he ran hard, sometimes not. Sometimes he would stretch out, sometimes not. Sometimes he would run the right route, sometimes not. RT NEVER had confidence that he could just launch it and Wallace would be there or compete for it.

It stymied RT's development and I think his confidence took a hit.

Wallace played selfish and scared, and I was shocked when mgmt re-signed him after that first season.

Whew! I feel better now....

phinmania and Sons Of Shula like this.
  17. 39wildman

39wildman A True Fan

i think his deep ball is getting better because dolphins have bigger wr that can catch the ball like parker

18. FinfanInBuffalo

FinfanInBuffalo Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP Donator

This view was shared by many and scoffed at. The other huge problems with Wallace were a shockingly bad ability to track the ball in the air and terrible field awareness. I'll never forget two plays: a catch he makes along the sideline with the ball in the field of play and his left foot needlessly placed a foot out of bounds, a catch in the endzone where he again steps out of bounds needlessly. Completely clueless.

BlueFin likes this.
  19. miami365

miami365 Rookie

Not to mention trying to showboat and needlessly trying to make a one handed catch on a long pass as well as my all time favourite dropping a pass and trying to clap his hands in frustration but missing completely.

20. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater Optimist Homer Finheaven VIP

Aka no one at all in the national media

21. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

Wallace would never contest a ball either - ergo the inflated interception stats. I had such high hopes for him coming in but he really turned out to be a load.

22. The Goat

The Goat Escape Goat

[​IMG]

23. phinasota

phinasota Bleed Aqua

I just seen this article. It's definitely great to see him improving. I'm pumped to watch football this season and can't wait! The throw against the steelers where he is rolling out to the left and drops a dime in Greys bucket was an amazing throw. Also, in San Diego where he stood in the pocket, got drilled but threw a perfect bomb to still that hit him in the back of the end zone was another pas that was amazing.

24. CalDolFan10x14

CalDolFan10x14 Your QB for the next 10 years. Finheaven VIP Donator

So do you think it has ANYTHING to do with Ryan Tannehill? :rolleyes:

Last edited: May 10, 2017
    fishfanmiami likes this.
  25. CalDolFan10x14

CalDolFan10x14 Your QB for the next 10 years. Finheaven VIP Donator

I don't think he said that at all.

26. josephreese

josephreese Since '76

I don't know enough about statistical analysis to answer this, so maybe a member that works in the field can help:
    Is the sample size large enough for the conclusions to be meaningful?

27. Dolfan5000

Dolfan5000 Mark my words, I'll get mine

So that's why Kenny Stills caught 9tds and like 4 for 35+. Cus Kenny is tall, not ball placement and or speed. Lol, I guess some people really don't watch the games but man, Tannehill has become one of the best deep passers in the league. It's that simple.

28. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

Well let's see if he's ranked 2nd now...possibly 1st?

29. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

The deep ball project that's being referenced does chart accuracy, and accuracy still credits the quarterback for failed catches.

However, it's entirely reasonable and fair to credit the Dolphins' skill position players for some of the team's success throwing deep. DeVante Parker has not been reliable at the catch point (he's made some great catches, but also had a bunch of failed receptions), but Kenny Stills and Jarvis Landry have been money on those 20+ yard passes. I'm more than willing to forgive #10 at this point for the Seattle debacle. He's redeemed himself.

I think that Kenny Stills + Jarvis Landry is certainly a better duo for the deep shots than Hartline and Wallace were. Even though the two receivers we have now are not as fast as that other pair, they're simply better at finding the football, going to get it, coming down with the ball, and then staying on their feet.

So it's fair to say that the quarterback deserves credit for throwing downfield well, especially on the move or when he's being blasted in the face, which are both very difficult situations for those throws. And it's also fair to say that the better deep passing numbers are due in no small part to having better targets for the attempts.

Vaark, TheWozz and Travis34 like this.
  30. J. David Wannyheimer

Let me just add that for a couple of years there, some of us held the opinion that "The quarterback is not the primary reason for failure in our deep passing game." We were ridiculed and called excuse-makers.

You had bad pass protection, bad play design, and wide receivers who were flat out failing to catch the football. Those weren't things that were imagined, that was the sad and absurd reality of football under coach Joe Philbin. I think back specifically to a game in 2013, I think it was against the Chargers, when Mike Sherman dialed up a play that was absolutely ridiculous. He called for a delayed play action draw followed by a deep shot to Wallace. By the time the ball left Tannehill's hand, the guy was already like 30 yards downfield.

Leroy Hoard on the radio after the game was asked about that play and put it 100% on Mike Sherman, saying that the play design was ridiculous. CKParrothead and a couple of other football junkies came on here and pointed out the exact same thing about that play. And this is something that really wouldn't even occur to you unless you really knew about what goes into the timing of that kind of play.

It certainly didn't occur to me until it was pointed out by Hoard on the radio.

So, YES, the quarterback has improved on that area of his passing, but he's also not being set up to fail on those throws anymore. It's OK to admit it. We really were that incompetent as an organization that we finally found a good quarterback and then we screwed up everything else.

EricCartman, phinmania, Vaark and 5 others like this.
  31. Travis34

Love that last post Wanny, for how long we were just "making excuses" it sure feels good to see the deep ball actually come together

I think I remember Sons (?) posting the chart not too long ago and yes, it was enough passes.

32. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP

33. Lilseb93

Lilseb93 This Is My House

He's improved so much in that area. It's amazing people still say he can't throw the ball deep. Plus it helps that he has better chemistry with Stills, Landry, and Parker than he did with Wallace and Hartline on the deep ball. It was a weakness of Tannehill, but Wallace was lazy with his routes and never battle for the ball. He never gave his full effort down here it seemed.

34. psfign

psfign A True Fan

35. thaemcee2

thaemcee2 B.A.M.F. 0321

wheres all the naysayers who said he had no deep ball? that escalated quickly

36. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP

No individual callouts please.

J. David Wannyheimer likes this.
  37. J. David Wannyheimer

Yup. I'm content with seeing us have an offense that can make big plays and not being called a lunatic for holding the opinion that our starting quarterback is capable of throwing the football downfield with NFL caliber accuracy.

We get some consistency in getting drives started and this thing is cooking.

38. Sons Of Shula

Sons Of Shula not a dull boy Finheaven VIP Donator

Though to Joe "Phailbin" & Lazor "the Star" I give the single finger salute. :finger

Lazor's offense was a joke on amateur levels, in the NFL it was straight up embarrassing.

39. psfign

psfign A True Fan

lmao. Of course you do! :roflmao

40. EmperorPhin

EmperorPhin Scout Team

Now improve TDs in redone and we may have an offense

41. Goin` Deep

Goin` Deep "Pick your guy and let it fly" Finheaven VIP Donator

Used to love reading how much better Tannehill and Wallace were getting on their deep ball connection. Just never happened. Didn't help that Mike had zero catch radius. If it didn't drop into his hands, it wasn't getting caught. Wallace is still effective as his 1,000 yds last proved, but he is what he is and he's not going to change. I love our trio. Parker and Stills can definitely go out and get the deep ball, even if it's not perfectly thrown. They go make plays.

42. Phinatic8u

Tannehill was the best redzone qb in the NFL last year.

43. Sons Of Shula

[​IMG]

psfign and phinmania like this.
  44. Phinatic8u

I'm confused with this GIF LOL.

psfign likes this.
  45. Sons Of Shula

It was the smack down you laid on an uninformed poster. :thumbsup

psfign, dobrasz54 and phinmania like this.
  46. Phinatic8u

Ahhhhh :laugh:laugh:laugh

47. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

How about improving being 31st in the NFL IN TOTAL FIRST DOWNS?
    Or 31st in converting 3rd downs to first downs

48. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

How do you figure that?
    Rogers had 31 tds with 0 interceptions inside the 20
    Ryan had 11 with 0 interceptions

Dolph N.Fan and EmperorPhin like this.
  49. EmperorPhin

EmperorPhin Scout Team

5 TDs and 42.8% inside the 10
    Matt Moore had 4 TDs and 100% completion in red zone

50. EmperorPhin