Ryan Tannehill rated as the NFL's 2nd best deep ball thrower | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ryan Tannehill rated as the NFL's 2nd best deep ball thrower

Adam First

Excellence in Mediocrity
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
(oh boy, it's one of these threads again)

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachp...best-deep-ball-thrower-via-deep-ball-project/

Miami Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill completed 61 percent of passes that were in the air for longer than 20 yards, which was second in the NFL in 2016, according to the Deep Ball Project.

Tannehill also completed 64 percent of passes that were in the air longer than 16 yards, fourth in the NFL.

Here is more from the Deep Ball Project:

The progression of Ryan Tannehill has been wonderful to watch for those who look deeper. In the last two seasons, his deep ball has become one of the league’s best, so it should be no surprise he’s become a downfield master under Adam Gase.

With better defined routes, Tannehill’s accuracy soared. His overall accuracy of 64.1% was 4th in 2016, and his accuracy on throws of 20+ was 61.0%, The 2nd highest (only behind Derek Carr).

Love it. And last season he was doing it great. Improvement every year (except when Wallace was here)

Where's everyone claiming he sucked or still does?

Last season was the first one I can recall enjoying watching the Dolphin's offense in many years. Tannehill has to take a lot of credit for that, but also Christensen and Ajayi for getting Gase to move to having the run set up the pass. It's easy to forget a lot of us were about to declare ourselves finished with this offense after 5 or 6 weeks. But during all that Tannehill deep passing was on the money.

I was curious to know exactly what the numbers were on Tannehill's deep passing because he was certainly noticeably better last year than he has been in previous years. It really sucks that Tannehill got hurt when he did because the one deep throw that he made to Stills in the Arizona game for our first score of the game really sticks out as just a perfectly thrown bomb.
I think Tannehill really started to come into his own in those last 5 games before he went down with injury... The entire team **** their pants in the Baltimore game, but outside of that, he tore it up in his last 5 games (11 TDs - 5 Picks with 3 in one bad game, completed almost 70% of his passes, 220 YPG) and as I mentioned, the one bad Baltimore game really dragged down otherwise amazing numbers for that stretch. He absolutely killed it against SD, SF and Arizona and he also came up with 2 amazingly clutch drives @ LA to win the game.
I have very high hopes for Ryan this year and going forward. I think he's going to be universally considered a top 10 QB in this league starting this year.

His deep ball is the biggest improvement he's made to his game since his rookie season. It's night and day in comparison. I'd imagine he will have even more success this season with a legit threat at tight end and the emergence of Parker.

I can confidently say that it's all about the guys up front for Tannehill now. When given time, he's going to make the play.

Poor Orlando Alzuegary. I wonder if he is gong to maintain the same false position he's maintained despite all the evidence pointing towards the fact that Tannehill has an excellent deep ball.

Tanny's got a squeeze box,
Omar never sleeps at night.

Imagine his rank if he didn't get sacked an average of 3 times a game.

That was one of my criticism of his before. Anyone who still says they're not impressed with his deep ball is simply a troll or doesn't watch the games.
Absolutely agree and I'm glad that you are so willing to admit your stance on him and how it changed, some people will never support him no matter what I believe

Absolutely agree and I'm glad that you are so willing to admit your stance on him and how it changed, some people will never support him no matter what I believe

That's because those people are juveniles. Tannehill didn't have sex with my gf or anything. Lol we don't even have the same taste in women! It's not that serious for me. He's a Miami Dolphin, and I'm happy he proved me wrong. That's what all of us should want.

To say otherwise is strange. What are you a fan for with that mentality?

It's amazing what a functional, working relationship does for a QB/HC/OC.

Tannehill doesn't seem like he's ever had an ego. Some would say that's him not displaying an Alpha mentality, but imagine going to work everyday and hating your boss and not believing in the mission. With Gase here it seems that progress can actually be made.

Back
Top Bottom