Ryan Tannehill: The Ryan Leaf of the Decade? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ryan Tannehill: The Ryan Leaf of the Decade?

phinmanniac

Rookie
Reaction score
Ryan Tannehill is a large quarterback prospect whose draft stock has risen over the past few months. With an impressive combination of intelligence, size, strength and mobility, the former Texas A&M Aggie strikes similarity to the NFL's biggest draft bust ever—Ryan Leaf.

Tannehill is considered the No. 3 quarterback in the 2012 NFL draft class behind Stanford's Andrew Luck and Baylor's lone Heisman Trophy winner Robert Griffin III. Many experts project Tannehill to be drafted by the Miami Dolphins, who have the No. 8 pick overall.

With only one full season as quarterback (he converted from wide receiver) at the college level, I honestly believe Tannehill will have an excruciating transition to the level of play in the NFL, just as Leaf did.

Now, I can agree with the fact that it is way too early to say Ryan Tannehill will be a bust, but I just see Ryan Leaf in Tannehill (except Tannehill is and will always be more mature than Leaf). Tannehill showed inconsistency throughout the 2011 season against ranked Big 12 teams. In the loss against No. 3 Oklahoma State, Tannehill went 28-for-47, throwing for 309 yards, two touchdowns and three costly picks. The next week against No. 5 Arkansas, Tannehill once again struggled, throwing 25-for-35 for 247 yards and a pick.

Oklahoma State's defense finished 113th in passing yards allowed (out of 120 FBS teams) and Arkansas finished in 32nd. Tannehill struggled against Texas and Texas Tech last season also, and they ranked 49th and 47th respectively.

With Tannehill's struggles against a relatively weak Big 12, how in the world can he excel in the NFL? Ryan Leaf was the quarterback for the Washington State Cougars. Leaf's 1997 Cougars played in a pretty decent Pac-10. They beat a tough UCLA team early in the year and went on to beat No. 23 USC, No. 20 Arizona State and No. 17 Washington before losing to No. 1 Michigan in the Rose Bowl.

Unlike Tannehill's performance last year, Leaf did not struggle in the 1997 season. Leaf was a force in each game, averaging over 330 yards passing and 2.8 touchdowns with 0.9 interceptions per game. Leaf put up video-game numbers while Tannehill averaged 288 yards per game with 2.2 touchdowns and 1.1 interceptions in 2011. Tannehill also had a much easier schedule than Leaf did last year.

I'm just giving out an opinion that I don't believe Tannehill will be what these experts/fans believe he will be. It's the same old story...mobile quarterback, great size, intelligent and huge upside. Well, I’m just pointing out that what they are saying about Tannehill is eerily similar to Leaf, and we all know what happened to Leaf in the NFL. Like the NFL scouts said above, they both are two naturally-gifted athletes who are mobile, have great size and good accuracy.

As the general manager for the Dolphins or any team, I wouldn't draft Tannehill. He is not going to be able to transition into the NFL due to his lack of experience and his struggles against decent to top teams at the college level. Address other needs, teams of the NFL; do not draft the Ryan Leaf of this decade.

Full article: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1157897-ryan-tannehill-the-ryan-leaf-of-the-decade

Perhaps there are some similarities but there's one major difference. One had the weight of a franchise on his shoulders, and the other one does not. We've had 16 Qbs since Marino, we don't expect Tannehill to become some legendary hall of famer. If we ease him into this and coach him up, he will have success. If we throw him into the lion's den, I'm worried.

Perhaps there are some similarities but there's one major difference. One had the weight of a franchise on his shoulders, and the other one does not. We've had 16 Qbs since Marino, we don't expect Tannehill to become some legendary hall of famer. If we ease him into this and coach him up, he will have success. If we throw him into the lion's den, I'm worried.

Actually you couldn't be more wrong. Tannehill has all the pressure in the world being drafted #8 overall by a team desperate for a franchise QB. Either he becomes a franchise QB or he becomes a bust. There is no in between on this one. You don't draft a QB at #8 to be just decent or slighty above average. You can draft that type of guy in the later rounds.

Actually you couldn't be more wrong. Tannehill has all the pressure in the world being drafted #8 overall by a team desperate for a franchise QB. Either he becomes a franchise QB or he becomes a bust. There is no in between on this one. You don't draft a QB at #8 to be just decent or slighty above average. You can draft that type of guy in the later rounds.

You can tell Tannehill knows his role based on his post draft stuff. He wants to compete, but he knows that he's not going to jump right in. Saying that there's as much pressure on Tannehill as Leaf would be ridiculous.

67 posts! awesome dude! who will remember you when the rubber meets the road?
answer: no one

Ryan Tannehill is a large quarterback prospect whose draft stock has risen over the past few months. With an impressive combination of intelligence, size, strength and mobility, the former Texas A&M Aggie strikes similarity to the NFL's biggest draft bust ever—Ryan Leaf.

Tannehill is considered the No. 3 quarterback in the 2012 NFL draft class behind Stanford's Andrew Luck and Baylor's lone Heisman Trophy winner Robert Griffin III. Many experts project Tannehill to be drafted by the Miami Dolphins, who have the No. 8 pick overall

With only one full season as quarterback (he converted from wide receiver) at the college level, I honestly believe Tannehill will have an excruciating transition to the level of play in the NFL, just as Leaf did.

Now, I can agree with the fact that it is way too early to say Ryan Tannehill will be a bust, but I just see Ryan Leaf in Tannehill (except Tannehill is and will always be more mature than Leaf). Tannehill showed inconsistency throughout the 2011 season against ranked Big 12 teams. In the loss against No. 3 Oklahoma State, Tannehill went 28-for-47, throwing for 309 yards, two touchdowns and three costly picks. The next week against No. 5 Arkansas, Tannehill once again struggled, throwing 25-for-35 for 247 yards and a pick.

Oklahoma State's defense finished 113th in passing yards allowed (out of 120 FBS teams) and Arkansas finished in 32nd. Tannehill struggled against Texas and Texas Tech last season also, and they ranked 49th and 47th respectively.

With Tannehill's struggles against a relatively weak Big 12, how in the world can he excel in the NFL? Ryan Leaf was the quarterback for the Washington State Cougars. Leaf's 1997 Cougars played in a pretty decent Pac-10. They beat a tough UCLA team early in the year and went on to beat No. 23 USC, No. 20 Arizona State and No. 17 Washington before losing to No. 1 Michigan in the Rose Bowl.

Unlike Tannehill's performance last year, Leaf did not struggle in the 1997 season. Leaf was a force in each game, averaging over 330 yards passing and 2.8 touchdowns with 0.9 interceptions per game. Leaf put up video-game numbers while Tannehill averaged 288 yards per game with 2.2 touchdowns and 1.1 interceptions in 2011. Tannehill also had a much easier schedule than Leaf did last year.

I'm just giving out an opinion that I don't believe Tannehill will be what these experts/fans believe he will be. It's the same old story...mobile quarterback, great size, intelligent and huge upside. Well, I’m just pointing out that what they are saying about Tannehill is eerily similar to Leaf, and we all know what happened to Leaf in the NFL. Like the NFL scouts said above, they both are two naturally-gifted athletes who are mobile, have great size and good accuracy.

As the general manager for the Dolphins or any team, I wouldn't draft Tannehill. He is not going to be able to transition into the NFL due to his lack of experience and his struggles against decent to top teams at the college level. Address other needs, teams of the NFL; do not draft the Ryan Leaf of this decade.

Full article:

Everyone acts like this kid was a WR first. He came out of high school as a 3-4 star rated QB. #22 in the country by Scout. He played WR at A&M at first because of some politics. Politics that Sherman has said were a mistake, and that Tannehill said he fought. He was kept there because he was very talented at WR and Sherman believed he could be drafted there, while still letting Johnson grow and develop and also get drafted. Just because Tannehill didn't start doesn't mean he wasnt studying as a QB. Even at WR he was still their backup QB. He still went to the QB meetings. He still threw some in practices ,and threw with his WR's after practice. If he had had another year to start at A&M we would have missed on him by 5 picks this year.

He is not ready now. He will need time to figure out the speed of the NFL, but a completion rating of 61% with all those drops is impressive. 42 Td's and 21 Int's is a pretty impressive stat for only 19starts. Would obviously like to see hose INT numbers go down, but since watching his film, it appears that not every INT was his fault at all. He had WR's running bad routes, dropping the ball, deflecting the ball,etc. He is a gamer, and a competitor. I would not bet against him. Especially since now he has something to prove to all the doubters. Nothing is more exciting to watch on a football field than a talented player out to prove something.

Will he be the next Dan Marino? Doubtful, but I sure hope so. Will he become a franchise QB? Probably, but I am willing to be patient and see. Will he be the next Ryan Leaf? No. He is to mature, and to competitive to let that happen to himself. If anything if he fails at QB like leaf, then we just drafted a very talented WR, I dont think that this pick will be a waste no matter what happens.

You can tell Tannehill knows his role based on his post draft stuff. He wants to compete, but he knows that he's not going to jump right in. Saying that there's as much pressure on Tannehill as Leaf would be ridiculous.

I should rephrase it. When you draft a QB in the top 10, that QB needs to turn out to be a franchise QB. If he ends up being anything but that, then he was a bust. Its black and white. Its not like the Dolphins took Tannehill late in the first round or second round where he gets more slack. Its all about where you were drafted at and how you perform in relation to that. Thats the reality of it.

Ryan Leaf has serious psychological issues. That's the main reason he failed. By all accounts, Tannehill has a great head on his shoulders and is a very hard-working and devoted guy. He may fail, but it certainly won't be for the same reason Leaf failed.

Back
Top Bottom