Ryan Tannehill Will Be a Star......................

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by BlueFin, Apr 25, 2012.

1. BlueFin

BlueFin Seer of Visions Finheaven VIP

and if the Dolphin braintrust passes on him they will be screwing up yet again.

This kid has everything you look for in a franchise QB, He's big, he's athletic, fast, strong arm, Accurate........he loves the game in "Peyton Manning" kind of way.

Yes, he'll need a season probably to acclimate to the NFL....but if we could go back and draft Drew Brees knowing he needed some time to adjust, wouldn't we do it?

Same with Aaron Rogers......wouldn't that be better than what we've wasted 12 years trying to do?

If you don't like Tannehill as a prospect, then I totally understand.....if you don't want to draft him because you think it's a litttle to high at 8, or because he might need time to adjust to the NFL....then I think your making a mistake.

This kid has everything your looking for, with the only exception being that he didn't play QB for 4 years in college. But many others that have succeeded in the NFL didn't either....including Cam Newton.

2. Heatmagic84

Heatmagic84 Active Member

I almost dropped dead when I read an Akili Smith comparison today from Grantland. Just posting the other side of what could be. I'm hoping we don't have the option of taking RT but I'll support whatever they think is best.

[h=3]Quarterbacks[/h]Best: Tom Brady (76.6 points above expected return)
    Worst: Akili Smith (-45.9 points)
    We've really forgotten as a culture just how bad Akili Smith was. He's basically the Ryan Tannehill nightmare; after just two years of action in college, Smith's ideal size and arm strength pushed him up draft boards during the spring of 1999. He eventually settled in as the third franchise quarterback in a three-man group, and the Bengals made him the third overall pick behind fellow signal-callers Tim Couch and Donovan McNabb. McNabb was good, and Couch was middling, but Smith was abysmal. He completed 46.6 percent of his passes as a pro, threw 13 interceptions against just five touchdowns, and was out of football after 17 starts in four years. In his one year as the regular starter in Cincinnati, the Bengals offense averaged 11.6 points per game. Tannehill can't possibly be that bad, right?

3. Phins117

Phins117 A True Fan

I am absolutely sure this kid will not beat out moore. He is the next chad henne.

4. satz

satz Seasoned Veteran

Ryan mallet must be kicking himself for coming out a year early....he would have been a top 10 pick this year.

curious question. Ryan mallet now - 1 yr behind brady compared to ryan tannehill ...

Even more crazy... by draft week the 3rd qb is getting the statements made on Luck the 1st qb of this class.

5. CalDolFan10x14

CalDolFan10x14 Your QB for the next 10 years. Finheaven VIP Donator

What makes you say that? Just wondering, because I fail to see the comparison between the two.

6. Dmarino110

Dmarino110 Starter

another kid that had all the tools was 6'5" 235 and a finalist for the Heisman in his JR year was Ryan Leaf...

7. SQuinn17

SQuinn17 League Dominator

In the top 10 we need a legit starter not a backup qb.

8. TrinidadDolfan

TrinidadDolfan 1st Team All-Pro

I would agree with your questioning that statement.
    Henne was robotic, Tannehill is far from....

The BIGGEST knock on Henne, from where I stand, was his lack of passion and yearning to "go-for-the-throat".
    If he were in the armed forces, he would have been content to have been a footsoldier taking orders.
    What I want is an assasin.

Remember when the grief was being piled on Henne, and he basically shrugged it off by saying (words to the effect) - "hey, no big deal, it's just football".

THAT....was a slap in the face of all of us passionate fans.
    He just didn't give a s__t.

And THAT is why, in my eyes, he can go to hell.

9. Big Daddy 13

Big Daddy 13 Rookie

So we can all agree that taking a QB in the draft is a crapshoot.

10. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

If not for Sherman, even more of a reach than Sanchez? But I guess Mikey knows best so we'll see what there is to see. :idk:

11. iwastherein72

iwastherein72 Well-Known Member

What I want to know is why this thread was moved off the main board.

Maybe because it's the TRUTH... and truth hurts some people.

You HAVE to try for the best you can possibly get at QB, and Tannehill is that guy this year. Settling for a low-round guy is STUPID and INSANE. There are not any more Bradys out there, that is an utter FANTASY.

QB is a PREMIUM position, HANG the "value" junk and get the best QB available.

12. jlfin

jlfin old pro

Because its a draft thread. Geez, where is the common sense on this site?

13. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod The Oracle

Does he act, sing and dance?

14. jlfin

jlfin old pro

Yep. You have to trust your coaches and FO. They live and die by the QB decisions they make. However, if you don't invest a high draft pick on a QB, you will likely never find one. Always waiting for 'next year' isn't a plan either. Searching in scrap heaps yr after yr reduces your odds.

15. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod The Oracle

The reason it was moved here is because we do not have a section called "Another Tannehill Thread".

16. Dolfansal

Dolfansal Starter

The difference between QB's at this level is their preperation. Most of these guys have similar abilities, but some put in "Tom Brady" work/ethic and some put in "Akilli Smith" work/effort.

Luckily with Tannehill we have a offensive coordinator that spent alot of time with him and knows first hand what kind of worker he is.

17. jlfin

jlfin old pro

Once again, Mallett dropped due to character concerns and his admitted drug use. However, he is not a WCO QB. He is a tall statue with a good arm. No one knows yet if he has the instincts, intelligence or mental toughness to be an upper echelon starter in the NFL and sitting behind Brady (or any other good QB) doesn't make you one. Just ask Curtis Painter

18. TrinidadDolfan

TrinidadDolfan 1st Team All-Pro

this

19. Armand

Armand Member

Sherman knows RT better than anybody... if he has the potential to be a franchise QB he WORTH be selected at 8 overall

20. fininpsl

fininpsl A True Fan

This^^^ If the staff thinks there is any decent chance he will develop into a good NFL starting QB we will take him. If you think people are down on the Fins now, imagine what fan support would be like three years from now if we don't take him, and he's playing at or near a Pro Bowl level.

21. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

I agree and in the end, its about character and work ethic practicing and studying to be the best and then learning from mistakes and then executing. peyton manning wasnt great until his contract was due, before that he was just good. I certainly see where Thill will be ready to go after one year. He has the goods and whatever he doesnt have, he will work at it.

That said, I wish to trade down because I really dont think anyone else wants him until 22 and even after that, its clear sailing unless Belichick wants to get cute again.

22. justdev7

justdev7 Rookie

I had a dream that we traded back with the pats and got Mallet as part of the deal. I can't believe we traded up to take a rb instead of mallet

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?v0xrp0

23. DevilInPgh

DevilInPgh Rookie

Stewart Mandel at SI thinks otherwise:

24. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs foos-ball is the devil! Donator

Tannehill >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Mallett

25. DevilInPgh

DevilInPgh Rookie

Mallett was more successful in college than Akili Smith 2.0, so I don't get what you're saying.

26. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs foos-ball is the devil! Donator

Akili Smith 2.0? I'd really love to hear your "evidence" supporting that claim.

-Tannehill has shown proper footwork
    -has the arm strength to make sideline throws
    -has run a college system that is more complicated than most
    -knows the verbage involved in mastering an offense
    -has familiarity with the offense we are running here
    -has a keen ability to feel pressure in the pocket
    -has the size to be a durable NFL player

27. The Confessor

The Confessor Doesnt play well with others

I disagree.

Much more like the next Brady Quinn.

---------- Post added at 06:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:59 PM ----------

You forgot:

Was beat out at QB by two VERY average QB's.
    Is TERRIBLY inaccurate.
    Has shown ZERO leadership qualities..and I mean NONE.
    Locks onto his target as he approaches the LOS, and I'm talking about before the ball is even centered.
    Sucked against really bad defenses all season long.

28. BigBossFin

BigBossFin Rookie

No one knows how any draft pick will come out all we can do is hope and pray

29. dr.jake

dr.jake Rookie

"This kid has everything you look for in a franchise QB... "

with the possible exception of actual QB game experience.
    dan marino qb'd 44 games at pitt heisman top ten twice and at went 27th overall. tanny not so very much.

30. Elliott 1

Elliott 1 Banned Hammered

Tannehill is a 2nd round prospect. Nothing has really changed since last Dec.

31. chilenodolfan

chilenodolfan Stormaggedon

I am cautiously optimistic on Tannehill...but he needs time

32. BlueFin

BlueFin Seer of Visions Finheaven VIP

What I saw in his segment with Gruden was a kid who loves the game, who is highly intelligent with off the charts physical skills for a QB.

33. LANGER72

LANGER72 A True Fan

Tannehill didn't get to play QB until his junior year. As a senior,A&M was nationally ranked and they flopped to a mediocre record

Tannehill did not take the team to a higher level and make it better with his play. He was a wall flower and just blended in.

His senior year was so good that his coach got fired and then hired by the team that theoretically needs him the most. Oh..the irony.

Will Sherman let lightning strike him twice? Or will he go a different direction.

I say they go DT, OG, ILB or trade down the #8 pick.

34. justdev7

justdev7 Rookie

I'd take mallet over tanahill in a heartbeat. Not because I don't think tannehil has talent but because I think Ryan mallet could step onto the field right now and command an offense. Plus the guy has the most live arm I've ever seen. But this is probably a stupid argument because what are the chances of my literal dream trade actually happening.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ok5rf5

35. kvado16

kvado16 A True Fan

Curtis Painter doesnt have an ounce of talent while Mallett does

36. fishbanger

fishbanger Phin fan since 1970!

Aaron Rodgers just played 22 games in college and was 17-5. Does anyone think he was too inexperienced to play in the NFL. Look at his scouting report and compare it to Tannehills. Its about 95% identical.

37. DBenitez

DBenitez Member

I just hope this isn't Drew Brees all over again

38. jasonlbjg

jasonlbjg Member

There are too many unknowns with 2nd tier QBs. With Tannehill you get very good athleticism, good arm strength, good accuracy, QB smarts, big upside. The things you have to hope for are: the desire to be the best, consistency, sacrafice to improve every single day, will to win football games when it counts the most (4th Quarter). Now don't laugh but if you put Tebow's will to win inside this kid, I would definitely pick him in the top ten. Tannehill has a jump start on the offense we are running, has the support of 2 good coachs which are excellent with QBs, and will have a year or two for grooming. That being said, he is a 2nd round pick being overhyped in a QB driven league and will fall to the bottom of the first and hopefully our 2nd round pick. The only teams I see taking a shot at him are the Eagles. Browns will get Weeden. Chiefs, Texans, Broncos, Seahawks, Bills, & Jaguars will look for a QB in the 3rd and maybe bottom of 2nd round.

39. WaxOn WaxOff

WaxOn WaxOff Starter Finheaven VIP

"[h=2]Ryan Tannehill Will Be a Star......................[/h]"

He better learn acting then.

40. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Owner of the Palace of Wisdom Finheaven VIP Donator

the he doesn't win argument doesn't always work. It's a red flag for sure (like Jimmy Claussen and Notre Dame never winning up to their talent level), but it's not always on the QB. As good as Andrew Luck is, Stanford's offense is incredibly stacked and was a strong running team so it wasn't all Luck.