Salary Cap | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Salary Cap

Spotrac has a salary cap simulator using the new number and includes Quinn's number.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tools/roster/miami-dolphins/

Doesn't look especially good for the Dolphins. It says we're starting at $21M over the cap before any cuts.

After I cut Simmons, Thomas and James, it still shows as $1.8M over the cap. Cutting Pouncey gets the number to $5.1 under the cap but with 3 missing starters (G, C and TE) assuming we draft a LB or use whatever ragtag.

We aren't in a good cap situation without restructuring the big contracts (which I'd advise not to, but T-Baum probably won't be able to help himself).

Obviously Landry's franchise tag hold is a big part of that so something needs to be done with him.

PS Dolphins are currently in the worst salary cap situation of all the teams. Only the Eagles and Dolphins are in the negative. Cleveland has a whopping $108M in salary cap space. This is for everyone that thinks Tannenbaum and Grier are doing a good job.

Sorry for quoting myself but there are significant differences between spotrac.com and overthecap.com (https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/miami-dolphins):
1) Julius Thomas: Spotrac says savings of 4.6 million with 2 million dead cap, Overthecap says savings of 6.6 million with 0 dead cap.
2) Cameron Wake: Spotrac says savings of 5.1 with 3.5 dead cap, Overthecap says savings of 8.1 with dead cap of 0.5

So if overthecap.com has the correct figures that would be another 5 million cap savings for these two players.

This is a one year problem. Next year Miami will have $56 million in cap space starting out.

My guess is: Cut Timmons, Thomas.
Trade Landry.
There's a bunch of guys with $500,000 cap hits. They could cut 3 of them (I randomly chose Thomas Duarte, De'Veon Smith, Brandon Radcliff).

Those small moves puts Miami $5.8 million under the cap. If they choose not to retain James, then you get to $14.8 million.

Miami isn't in as bad as a situation as people make it sound.

No way I would restructure Reshad Jones for the same reason as mentioned above for Suh. He is on the wrong side of 30 and we can get out in two more years but would still have some dead money ($3.7M).

We are also going to need 8-9M for the rookies.

Cam Wake has been on a bargain deal most of his career. He is still a bargain at $8.6M. Cut him and stick Branch on the strong side full time? No thanks and I'm sorry but Cameron Malveaux played 10% of the snaps last year and Fede is not as good as some claim in the run game. He played 16% of the snaps.

You want to make a sacrifice, it has to be James or Pouncey in addition to Thomas and Timmons.

Just let Wake and Quinn loose on the edge.

Would anyone take on Branch's salary? For a bag of balls? Along with a seventh round pick?

Branch reportedly played with an injury throughout 2017. I’m pretty confident he’ll bounce back in 2018.

Back
Top Bottom