Salguero: Tannehill continues to outplay Moore, likely to start against Carolina | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Salguero: Tannehill continues to outplay Moore, likely to start against Carolina

I think this would be a good game to put Ryan in as the starter. He'll play against some pretty good linebacker talent in Carolina and be able to show what he can do against first-team players. Cautiously optimistic, of course, but I hope he does well.

Dress rehearsal will be the 3rd game of the preseason with the 1's playing into the 3rd qt. Best chance for Tannehill to start will be this week or game #4 of preseason. Last preseason game the 1's will only play 2 series for the most part to guard against injury for the opener.

I'm really hoping Tannehill starts. Give him a chance to shine!

Here's a different spin on the equation: Matt Moore has gotten used to being a backup QB. If you make Tannehill the starter and it doesn't work out, Moore can come in and play his best without letting his ego-bruising interfere. Also, Moore always seems to do well when he's the backup and comes in to try and save a game or a season. I just think Moore is a better backup QB than a rookie would be, so let the rookie start and do his best. If he's horrible, you have to bench him because you have to be able to evaluate your other players and you can't do that if the QB is drowing. Give Tanne his shot, and if he gets hurt or just isn't getting it done, go back to Moore and you'll still get a good performance out of Moore.

We have been riding BS seasons and getting BS excuses for entirely too long. We used our 1st round pick to grab him. And we did that because we needed a QB. Moore wasn`t good enough to take the starter position from Chad Henne for christ's sake. It makes no sense to not start RT. Garrard is not even in competition IMO...he will injure himself in practice walking up the stairs or some sh*t.

And I'm liking Philbin more and more by the day!

We have been riding BS seasons and getting BS excuses for entirely too long. We used our 1st round pick to grab him. And we did that because we needed a QB. Moore wasn`t good enough to take the starter position from Chad Henne for christ's sake. It makes no sense to not start RT. Garrard is not even in competition IMO...he will injure himself in practice walking up the stairs or some sh*t.

And I'm liking Philbin more and more by the day!
Moore couldn't beat Henne in camp because Sparano and Henne were joined at the hip. There was no QB competition last year; Sparano made up his mind that Henne would start.

If we had a solid team all around, with little competition at QB, I'd say start Tannehill. But the fact is that Moore finished last season strong, has the respect of the team, and we still have holes on this team, especially at WR. We should keep this competition open.

I know I'm going to be bashed for this, but I liked what Shanahan did last year in Washington when letting Grossman and Beck compete. He would switch QBs between drives, allowing both to show what they brought to the table against the same players. He made the right call, too, when declaring Grossman the winner; Grossman may have not been a great QB, but he sure as heck was better than John Beck last year.

I'm excited and very very pleased with RT's performances thus far. But I guess I'm in the minority because I feel he still stares down his receivers too much to start. Sure, by all means, rotate him into some time with the 1's against the opponent's 1's, he has earned a higher level test. But, one hurdle that needs to be overcome is tunnelvision. Until he stops locking on to his receivers, I am going to preach cautiousness.

To me, the two skills that separate good collegiate QB's from good NFL QB's are:

1) Accuracy - the ability to consistently hit a tight window where and when the ball needs to be placed, and
2) Read & React - the ability to pre-snap read the defense, monitor as multiple receivers get open, work through your progressions, assess whether/when your receiver is going to win, avoid the INT and rush and make the right decision. Sure, that's a lot, but usually the people that can do do it are the guys who succeed.

It's great to have size, arm strength, a quick release, leadership, etc., but we have seen a lot of successful NFL QB's without one or more of these. Theismann and Pennington were not the epitome of size and arm strength, but both were productive NFL QB's. Time and time again I see people with superior physical makeup falter where people with accuracy and read & react skills succeed. I believe RT has accuracy, and he seems to have the building blocks for read & react skills. I don't want to see him lose confidence by pushing him out there before he develops that skill a tad more.

That's my $0.02

At least he will get more snaps to bring him more experience. Needs to develop a relationship with Bess.

Moore was playing against the first team defense, remember?

Chad dropping that easy pass didn't exactly do him any favors either.

I wouldn't put too much weight on anything that Volin or any of those guys report.

As much as they REALLY think they know about football. None of them has any experience at any level & they each have some petty agenda.

Moore was playing against the first team defense, remember?

Chad dropping that easy pass didn't exactly do him any favors either.

I wouldn't put too much weight on anything that Volin or any of those guys report.

As much as they REALLY think they know about football. None of them has any experience at any level & they each have some petty agenda.

Well many an experienced former player says alot of things that make no sense either. Im not going to down their opinion because they are not former pro players.
Adam Shefter seems to get alot of respect and never played football either

Well many an experienced former player says alot of things that make no sense either. Im not going to down their opinion because they are not former pro players.
Adam Shefter seems to get alot of respect and never played football either

Yeah, I meant that based on the nonsense that they tweet. Take into account their experience and the angles they take on their stories.

You see two guys from competing papers tweeting on the same practice with COMPLETELY different opinions all the time.

Back
Top Bottom