'Say a prayer'  Barbaro hurt at Preakness | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

'Say a prayer'  Barbaro hurt at Preakness

BAMAPHIN 22

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro broke down at the start with a life-threatening injury and broke the hearts of racing fans as Bernardini went on to win the $1 million Preakness Stakes on Saturday.

The horrifying scene at Pimlico Race Course occurred in the first few hundred yards, right in front of the grandstand, as the field of nine horses broke from the gate.

Barbaro was in the middle of the pack when he suddenly dropped back under Edgar Prado. The colt was favoring his right rear leg and the crowd gasped in dismay as the jockey pulled Barbaro to a stop just past the finish line and jumped off.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12889693/

interesting that they've still not said if this all has anything to do with his false start (panic) out of the gates... nor the jockey's refusal to comment to reporters...

call me a bleeding heart liberal, but this is one of the reasons i don't like horse racing... they put so much stress on these extremely fragile animals, and no one really gives a **** about their well being... also evidenced by the anphetamines they stuff them with monthly...

i'm sure the tears in the crowd were more about lost revenue than the horse's mortality... it's worse for the dogs, but you never see them on tv anyway...

PressCoverage said:
interesting that they've still not said if this all has anything to do with his false start (panic) out of the gates... nor the jockey's refusal to comment to reporters...

call me a bleeding heart liberal, but this is one of the reasons i don't like horse racing... they put so much stress on these extremely fragile animals, and no one really gives a **** about their well being... also evidenced by the anphetamines they stuff them with monthly...

i'm sure the tears in the crowd were more about lost revenue than the horse's mortality... it's worse for the dogs, but you never see them on tv anyway...

I couldn't disagree more. You don't know what you are talking about in this case.

Horse racing fans and especially the trainers and grooms/hotwalkers care very deeply about these animals.

As far as not giving a "bleep" about their well being..that couldn't be farther from the truth...if you stripped it down to the most sinister motives and the most cold hearted scumbag you could find...these horses are of such exquisit pedigree that they are worth Hundreds of thousands of dollars as soon as they are born and in some cases MILLIONS.

Barbaro was already going to be syndicated (stud duty) for a nice little round figure of around 30 million or so.

His "false start" was nothing of the sort. it was not due to any "panic". His "false start" was due to him being keyed up for the race and being more than ready. The gate was soft, and he bolted. Horses don't bolt out in the gate out of panic. they bolt out of being "fired up" or excitement. When they tussle and throw their heads in the gate, is when you can assign "panic" or discomfort.

I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that his injury had nothing to do with his "false start". He broke very well out of the gate.

he could only hurt his chest or nose in a bolt, like I said..those gates are soft, and easily pushed open..especially by a 1,200 pound animal.

His injury came from a misstep or clipping of heels with Brother Derek.

trust me when I tell you that tears are geniune at the track when one of these animals break down. people invest alot of themselves in these T-breds. it is a way of life. I am not talking about the drunks with a $2 bet on them BTW..I am talking about "Horse people".

As for these Horses being "stuffed with amphetamines"...

Amphetamine use in T-Breds is expressly prohibited. These horses are tested weekly for any of a bunch of substances that are banned for competition.

What makes your amphetamine arguement laughable is that all anti-depressants as well stimulants do great harm to horses reproductive systems.

These horses are worth MILLIONS in the breeding shed, so use of a stimulant would not only be stupid, but counterproductive.

Horses on stimulants are also nonresponsive to urging by a jockey.

If caught using a stimulant on a horse, you are subjected to astronomical fines and suspension (for trainers). it also puts you in a bad light with your owners. So using a stimulant on a horse you train is basically career suicide.

I'm gonna say a prayer for you Barbaro. :(

UPDATE: (ESPN) Two Vets on site had said that his injury had nothing to do with his bolt through the gate, and was incurred with a clip of the heels or misstep.

I knew this already..but now there is official word.

I wanted to vomit when I watched this race. This horse was fast on his way to being great. I don't invest any money into horses whatsoever and my heart sank when I saw Prado pull him up. It's still upsetting because if they don't get this repaired right he could lose his life

Two fractures above and below the ankles, surgery on Sunday. Very tough to watch.

Section126 said:
I couldn't disagree more. You don't know what you are talking about in this case.

Horse racing fans and especially the trainers and grooms/hotwalkers care very deeply about these animals.

As far as not giving a "bleep" about their well being..that couldn't be farther from the truth...if you stripped it down to the most sinister motives and the most cold hearted scumbag you could find...these horses are of such exquisit pedigree that they are worth Hundreds of thousands of dollars as soon as they are born and in some cases MILLIONS.

Barbaro was already going to be syndicated (stud duty) for a nice little round figure of around 30 million or so.

His "false start" was nothing of the sort. it was not due to any "panic". His "false start" was due to him being keyed up for the race and being more than ready. The gate was soft, and he bolted. Horses don't bolt out in the gate out of panic. they bolt out of being "fired up" or excitement. When they tussle and throw their heads in the gate, is when you can assign "panic" or discomfort.

I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that his injury had nothing to do with his "false start". He broke very well out of the gate.

he could only hurt his chest or nose in a bolt, like I said..those gates are soft, and easily pushed open..especially by a 1,200 pound animal.

His injury came from a misstep or clipping of heels with Brother Derek.

trust me when I tell you that tears are geniune at the track when one of these animals break down. people invest alot of themselves in these T-breds. it is a way of life. I am not talking about the drunks with a $2 bet on them BTW..I am talking about "Horse people".

As for these Horses being "stuffed with amphetamines"...

Amphetamine use in T-Breds is expressly prohibited. These horses are tested weekly for any of a bunch of substances that are banned for competition.

What makes your amphetamine arguement laughable is that all anti-depressants as well stimulants do great harm to horses reproductive systems.

These horses are worth MILLIONS in the breeding shed, so use of a stimulant would not only be stupid, but counterproductive.

Horses on stimulants are also nonresponsive to urging by a jockey.

If caught using a stimulant on a horse, you are subjected to astronomical fines and suspension (for trainers). it also puts you in a bad light with your owners. So using a stimulant on a horse you train is basically career suicide.

ok, maybe not amphetamines at this level of international scrutiny.... but, please don't tell me race corruption doesn't happen... two words: Milk.... Shake... .

there was a major bust right here in Pompano a decade ago, and I know one of the vets involved very well... Fixes also happened at Aqueduct in 2003...

It works like this: A trainer or stable hand uses a garden hose to suck out the contents of a horse's stomach. ... just before the horse is to run, a mixture of baking soda, sugar and sports drink is poured through the horse's nose and down its throat. ...the mixture does not include any banned drugs that might turn up in a post-race urine test. .. But vets say it slows or stops the release of toxins into the horse's bloodstream, preventing it from tiring as it pounds down the backstretch.

more here:

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2005/Apr-01-Fri-2005/sports/26198082.html

and here:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/delmarraces/20040915-9999-1n15horses.html
On a race day, the practice is illegal. If done incorrectly, it can be fatal.
Nevertheless, 10 percent of horses tested positive for it during a recent survey at Del Mar, according to Roger Licht, commissioner of the California Horse Racing Board.

In January 2004, Kentucky Gov. Ernie Fletcher abolished the state's Racing Commission amid allegations of mismanagement and charges it ignored or overlooked positive drug tests received from officials at an Iowa State lab that scrutinizes the samples. The Racing Authority, led by Gallagher, replaced the commission.

as for how horses are so preciously "cared for"... you're right about one thing: millions of potential dollars are at risk... at that will make owners cry... whether they establish a bond with their equines or not...

http://www.animalaid.org.uk/campaign/sport/ridingb.htm
One top trainer, Ian Balding, summed up the crisis facing the industry when he told Racing Post: 'We get far more injuries than we used to. During the 1970s, as many as 90 to 95% of my two year olds ran at least once in the first season. In the 1980s, it dropped to 75 to 80% and in the 1990s it's dropped to 65 to 70%... The only reason for not running is due to injury.

'These figures tell a depressing tale... Shortage of labour has decreed... horses rarely get ridden for more than an hour. We scarcely do any roadwork with flat horses which is good for strengthening bone and hardening-up tendons and ligaments, because of increased traffic... The fashion now is for speed and more speed. We have gradually lost [the] strength, stamina and durability, temperament, extra bone and courage that those horses have. If we carry on like this, then slowly but surely we are ruining the breed.'

The problems Balding identifies arise from the irrational and self-destructive breeding practices, combined with the relentless demands thrust upon modern performance animals. When not racing, they spend up to 23 hours of their day stabled, deprived of the herd contact and freedom of movement that would ensure physical and mental health. Their lives are akin to those of secure unit prisoners. The longest time they spend out of their stables is when called upon to compete, and with racing now international, that often means travelling long distances by plane and road.

PressCoverage said:
ok, maybe not amphetamines at this level of international scrutiny.... but, please don't tell me race corruption doesn't happen... two words: Milk.... Shake... .

there was a major bust right here in Pompano a decade ago, and I know one of the vets involved very well... Fixes also happened at Aqueduct in 2003...

It works like this: A trainer or stable hand uses a garden hose to suck out the contents of a horse's stomach. ... just before the horse is to run, a mixture of baking soda, sugar and sports drink is poured through the horse's nose and down its throat. ...the mixture does not include any banned drugs that might turn up in a post-race urine test. .. But vets say it slows or stops the release of toxins into the horse's bloodstream, preventing it from tiring as it pounds down the backstretch.

more here:

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2005/Apr-01-Fri-2005/sports/26198082.html

and here:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/delmarraces/20040915-9999-1n15horses.html

as for how horses are so preciously "cared for"... you're right about one thing: millions of potential dollars are at risk... at that will make owners cry... whether they establish a bond with their equines or not...

http://www.animalaid.org.uk/campaign/sport/ridingb.htm

sheez give it a rest already. A great horse, a great athelete if you will, has a tragedy like this and you turn it into a soapbox for your political views? This is one of the saddest days ever in horse racing, show some class

i've been around horse racing for 20 years, not by choice.... saddest day? news flash, Adam: major leg fractures happen all the time in this sport...

the guy said i didn't know what i was talking about, so i responded... i don't believe i said anything about politics in the above post... just about greed... can you differentiate?

if you have a personal problem with me, as it appears lately, shoot me a private message...

PressCoverage said:
i've been around horse racing for 20 years, not by choice.... saddest day? news flash, Adam: major leg fractures happen all the time in this sport...

the guy said i didn't know what i was talking about, so i responded... i don't believe i said anything about politics in the above post... just about greed... can you differentiate?

if you have a personal problem with me, as it appears lately, shoot me a private message...

You started the first post with i may be a bleeding heart liberal. Since you say you've been around horse racing for twenty years I apologize for coming down hard on you. I thought you just came here to make some animal rights stuff. Yes the leg fractures happen. Its still a tragedy to me. He really looked like a once in a lifetime horse to me

PressCoverage said:

Those horses get treated better than most people. They have more people caring about their well being than you know.

Back
Top Bottom