'Say a prayer'  Barbaro hurt at Preakness | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

'Say a prayer'  Barbaro hurt at Preakness

tucker said:
i'm in the same boat...its just a horse :shrugs:
It's just a horse? What point are you trying to make with that post? I'm just a human, and so are you. While you are being an ignorant *******, why don't you just shrug your shoulders off Paul Dana's death as well?

I had followed all of Barbaro's races. I enjoy horse racing, and I had picked Barbaro to win the Kentucky Derby 4 weeks before the race. When he won the Derby by 6½ lengths, I was literally jumping all over the restaurant with a fist up in the air. It was an enjoyable moment.

To see this happen to Barbaro is really saddening. I hope he recovers well and lives his life happy as I guess, a stud horse.

For all you people who say that they don't care about the horses; you're wrong. As a matter of fact, the jockey deserves alot of credit. He could have easily forced Barbaro to continue running in safe grounds to save his (the jockey's) own life, but instead he heard the pop on his leg and pulled over as quickly as possible to get Barbaro medical attention. If he didn't do that, Barbaro (the Kentucky Derby Winner), may have been put to sleep 30 minutes after the severe injury.

Take care Barbaro.

Vertical Limit said:
It's just a horse? What point are you trying to make with that post? I'm just a human, and so are you. While you are being an ignorant *******, why don't you just shrug your shoulders off Paul Dana's death as well?

I had followed all of Barbaro's races. I enjoy horse racing, and I had picked Barbaro to win the Kentucky Derby 4 weeks before the race. When he won the Derby by 6½ lengths, I was literally jumping all over the restaurant with a fist up in the air. It was an enjoyable moment.

To see this happen to Barbaro is really saddening. I hope he recovers well and lives his life happy as I guess, a stud horse.

For all you people who say that they don't care about the horses; you're wrong. As a matter of fact, the jockey deserves alot of credit. He could have easily forced Barbaro to continue running in safe grounds to save his (the jockey's) own life, but instead he heard the pop on his leg and pulled over as quickly as possible to get Barbaro medical attention. If he didn't do that, Barbaro (the Kentucky Derby Winner), may have been put to sleep 30 minutes after the severe injury.

Take care Barbaro.

Well Said!!!

You people who say "it's just a horse," just don't get it. If this was your horse it would mean a lot more to you. Horses are very special animals, but most of you haters wouldn't know this unless you ever owned one.

Why would you come to a Say A Prayer thread to say that. You're like those people who protest funerals

Roman529 said:
You people who say "it's just a horse," just don't get it. If this was your horse it would mean a lot more to you. Horses are very special animals, but most of you haters wouldn't know this unless you ever owned one.

Sorry, more of the minority opinion here. Animals die every day. As majestic as horses are, they should not be honored any more than pets (yes, these horses are "athletic" pets) or endangered species. I don't care how many people have won a ton of money off of these horses, who basically have little to no idea what's going on. They are no important than any other animal regardless of the purse for when they cross the finish line.

As Jerry Seinfeld once speculated, the horse is probably like "ooooo I get to have my oat bag now...."

Roman529 said:

Dogs are special to people also. But when my dog dies or gets sick I dont get cards and prayers.

Well when everyday people die, its not covered by the news..Athletes are a different story, and I would say that rule is the same for high profile animals...

bullseyeguy said:
Well when everyday people die, its not covered by the news..Athletes are a different story, and I would say that rule is the same for high profile animals...

These animals are BRED to be this good, humans are not. I think that matters in this situation IMO. I also don't think horses should be in the same group as "athletes", but that is a whole different debate altogether.

I bet if the jockey fell off the horse and got trampled and was clinging to life, sadly no one would care. The jockey has a family. Barbaro doesn't have a family (he had a mother, but I doubt the mother plays an active role in this horse's life) that would be concerned. This matters as well.

On a seperate note, I'm pretty sure that the animal actors that played "Mr. Ed" and "Flipper" got this much press when they died. The bottom line is that the media coverage is going way overboard on this. How many people are going to lose sleep over this animal if it were to pass away? 99% of america has only heard of this animal since the Kentucky Derby.

Section126 said:
The last few posts in here are obviously not from Horse racing fans.

I can tell you that Horse Racing fans would be offended by your tone. Horses are selfless animals, it is always a sad day when one is hurt.

All I'm saying is, athletes in many sports are subject to serious risks. That includes horse racing. And perhaps its unfortunate, but it's all part of the game; athletes risk injury and a pleasant old age for cash, fame and babes. Barbaro's no exception. So it's unfortunate, but let's not start calling it "Sports' Biggest Tragedy" or anything like that. Personally, I think the fate of guys who stay in boxing a little too long is a whole lot more unfortunate. People come first.

You don't have to be a fan of horse racing to be shocked by the injury to Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro -- and to pull fervently for his recovery.

In a breed characterized by courage and competitive fire, Barbaro stood out. Perhaps he really would have turned out to be the best horse in a generation, as his admirers assert.

We will never know.

Early reports from the veterinary surgeons who are treating Barbaro are encouraging on two scores on which bad news certainly would have been fatal. Barbaro apparently did not hurt himself further while being transported from the Pimlico race track, nor did he do severe damage to the two small arteries that carry blood to his ankle and lower leg.

But if Barbaro is to live, he will need an extraordinary combination of expert care and good luck.

His delicate thoroughbred leg is held together now by a fused joint and metal implants. Barbaro's long pastern bone was shattered into more than 20 pieces. The risks of re-injury, infection and laminitis pose continuing and grave dangers.

Inevitably, some will look for an "issue." But at this point, that seems a stretch. Barbaro was lovingly and conservatively handled by a skilled trainer. There has been no evidence that track maintenance or management of the Preakness Stakes was at fault.

In a game in which chance plays a strong role, Barbaro's injury may simply have been a horrible misfortune.

While we wait to learn Barbaro's fate, we can recall the stirring sight of him drawing off to the most decisive Derby victory in 60 years.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060523/OPINION01/605230334/1055/OPINION

DonShula84 said:
Dogs are special to people also. But when my dog dies or gets sick I dont get cards and prayers.

I got lots of cards when my dog died....because my family and friends knew my dog was like my kid. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom