Scheme or Talent? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Scheme or Talent?

Not wild about the scheme but I'll hold off on any conclusions until we get to the regular season.

I would so much rather see an under front and it was nice to see that last week. I didn't study the personnel package too close so I'm not sure who was playing. I did see Suh at under tackle and Timmons at SLB on the line.

Was Wake is that package? Or Hayes? Who was at Leo? Branch? 5 tech? 3 tech?

Not wild about the scheme but I'll hold off on any conclusions until we get to the regular season.

I would so much rather see an under front and it was nice to see that last week. I didn't study the personnel package too close so I'm not sure who was playing. I did see Suh at under tackle and Timmons at SLB on the line.

Was Wake is that package? Or Hayes? Who was at Leo? Branch? 5 tech? 3 tech?

Wake 6, Suh 1, Godchuax 3, and Branch 9.

Here's the thing though, it is NOTHING like (for example) Seattle's defense who runs an incredibly successful Under front. The reason the Seahawks are great running the Under front is b/c although the line up in a 4-3 look, they use 3-4 personnel while also mixing in 2 gap DL.

We ran it with wide splits, we don't have a LEO that can effectively rush the QB and drop into coverage, nor do we 2 gap any of our DL to create a free defender in the back 7. So even though we display the look it will never be nearly as successful or even remotely comparable.

Last edited:
Wake 6, Suh 1, Godchuax 3, and Branch 9.

Here's the thing though, it is NOTHING like (for example) Seattle's defense who runs an incredibly successful Under front. The reason the Seahawks are great running the Under front is b/c although the line up in a 4-3 look, they use 3-4 personnel while also mixing in 2 gap DL.

We ran it with wide splits, we don't have a LEO that can effectively rush the QB and drop into coverage, nor do we 2 gap any of our DL to create a free defender in the back 7. So even though we display the look it will never be nearly as successful or even remotely comparable.

Yup.

They would be better off with Hayes at DE and Wake at LEO but I realize it's out of norm for him to play on the weak side...(even though he did it to start his career in Miami in a 3-4). They tried this with Branch in Jax with mediocre (at best) results.

We don't lack talent we lack quality depth. Our depth will take us out just as much as the scheme will. Lose Timmons at lb lose Kiko unless Hewitt can man it and we are screwed. 2 deep on the dline looks quality. Hayes should start imo. He's a damn good player.

Seattle got taken out last year when it lost earl thomas cinci years ago when it lost Rey mauluga and vontaze burfict Miami will become a joke at the lb level if we lose Timmons primary and kiko secondary. There is nothing in house that can get the job done if it's not Hewitt.

And godchaux has probably saved dt from being a mess too. Although he's a rookie he is far beating the odds on a day 3 pick dt in terms of being NFL actual game ready and even crazier starter caliber in year 1.

Our depth might be non-existent and our DC might not be a genius who can help the unit overachieve, but our starting talent leaves a lot to be desired as well. We have holes at LB and FS, we need Godcheaux to make an impact as a rookie, someone to step up in the slot, Howard to fulfill the promise he flashed last year, and we need Kiko and Branch to flourish and perform like they're getting paid. Not to mention Wake continuing to play at a high level is critical, despite age and the more frequent injuries.

Back
Top Bottom