Sharpe and Mayock: Dolphins should draft QB Jake Locker | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sharpe and Mayock: Dolphins should draft QB Jake Locker

You aren't quite accurate...Locker missed the California game his freshman season and Washington won 37-23. In his sophomore season Locker missed 8 games and Washington was 0-8. However, Locker played in 4 games and Washington was 0-4. So it wasn't like Washington did well with him playing and then fell apart when he was injured. Locker didn't miss a single game in his junior season. Last season Locker missed one game against Oregon who spanked Washington 53-16. Since Washington was 96th in the country last year at 21.8 ppg I will go out on a limb and say Locker playing in the Oregon game wouldn't have made a difference in the outcome.

Why don't you just admit that you haven't watched Jake Locker play... you'd save yourself a lot more time if you'd just copy and paste instead of typing all this out...

The Huskies were in every game that Jake Locker played when they went 0-12... they were losing by 35+ when Ronnie Fouch was starting at quarterback...

He played on team that went 0-12... he has no supporting cast. Even the games that he throws 3 TD passes, they still lose by 4 touchdowns because the defense is busy giving up 50 points (see Oregon St., etc.)

Washington has ZERO NFL talent on the offensive line... Chris Polk is a terrific back, and Jermaine Kearse is the only legitimate NFL talent at receiver.. The Huskies haven't even had an offensive lineman drafted since somewhere around 2002.

If you haven't seen the last minute TD drive that Locker led the Huskies on to beat USC in the upset.. WATCH IT. It was all him...

They lost to LSU by 8 points because it was LSU, and Washington was severely overmatched... Locker was on fire...

Anyone that has watched him over the past 4 years wouldn't have to ask the question regarding "when he's shown up other than running the football"... he's been there and done that on several occassions, only to lose the game anyway because the Huskies just don't have the talent...

Jake Locker has some bad tape in 2010, but there's not a quarterback in the country that's winning anymore games than Jake Locker did at Washington with that poor of a supporting cast...

He's not a franchise quarterback at this point, but he's certainly not garbage either. This is all getting completely overblown by people who I guarantee you haven't watched 10 minutes worth of Locker's entire college career...

You aren't quite accurate...Locker missed the California game his freshman season and Washington won 37-23. In his sophomore season Locker missed 8 games and Washington was 0-8. However, Locker played in 4 games and Washington was 0-4. So it wasn't like Washington did well with him playing and then fell apart when he was injured. Locker didn't miss a single game in his junior season. Last season Locker missed one game against Oregon who spanked Washington 53-16. Since Washington was 96th in the country last year at 21.8 ppg I will go out on a limb and say Locker playing in the Oregon game wouldn't have made a difference in the outcome.

And at the same time I'm sure you thought Washington had no chance against Nebraska in the bowl game either? I'm sorry so they were 1-10 win he didn't play, what a detriment to his team.

Locker helped take a Washington team that was down in the dumps for the entire decade and made them relevant in one of the top conferences in college football. He has "big" wins on his resume and I have watched his OLine . . . they are just awful, they have been his entire tenure in Washington. His WR's are very blahhhh. Polk came on last year at RB and the defense really came on late this year . . . but Locker is the captain, his leadership sets the tone for that team and his will to win was a key factor in Washington playing/winning a huge bowl game this season.

I don't care much for the stats in the end, I know he isn't this all world prospect statistically . . . I know he isn't the guy I would want starting from day one . . . but you take all the intangibles, you take the pro system experience, you take the athleticism and work ethic and you allow him to sit for a year or 2 and work the kinks out from his mechanics and his accuracy . . . . you could be sitting on a potential gem in 2 years.

Personally I think he is a GREAT fit for Miami, just not a great fit for this regime and the state they are in . . . because I wouldn't want to draft Locker or any of these QB's expecting them to start from day 1.

Exactly.... "Quarterback X" will always stand as a cautionary tale to those who place too big of an emphasis on wins and statistics. And as much as people say it, it really does take more than intelligence and intangibles to succeed as a quarterback in the NFL. That's the lesson I took from the John Beck debacle.

It wouldn't have mattered if "X" had thrown at the combine last year, either. That wasn't what knocked him down draft boards.
Of course, some QBs talents don't translate well to the NFL and were system QBs.

What I can do is come up with many QBs that did put up numbers similar to "X" and went on to NFL success.

On the flip side, can any of you come up with a single QB, call him "Y" that was 15-25, completed 53.9% of his passes, 6.7 YPA, 53/35 TD/int ration that went on to have success in the NFL. Without having to go back 50 years.

I bet I can come up with a whole lot more QBs that had "X" type numbers and went on to success in the NFL than anyone can come up with "Y" type numbers having success in the NFL.

Name one talent Washington has besides Locker and Polk please enlighten me, no QB besides Andrew Luck could have done better. Stop hating on the man if you dont want us to draft him thats fine but to discredit a player like him is just stupid. How about you base your opinion on the impact Locker had on his team than on stats try watching him play how about that. Give this guy good coaching and an offense that suits him and he'll be fine in the NFL.
Okay...Washington could have had any number of QBs that played college football last year and would have made it to a bowl game...Gabbert, Newton, Mallet, Dalton, Moore, Luck, Prior, Kaepernick, Stanzi, Weeden, Ponder and perhaps a dozen more QBs are just as likely to get Washington to a bowl game last year. Many would have led Washington to a better record.

Okay...Washington could have had any number of QBs that played college football last year and would have made it to a bowl game...Gabbert, Newton, Mallet, Dalton, Moore, Luck, Prior, Kaepernick, Stanzi, Weeden, Ponder and perhaps a dozen more QBs are just as likely to get Washington to a bowl game last year. Many would have led Washington to a better record.

:lol:

Of course, some QBs talents don't translate well to the NFL and were system QBs.

What I can do is come up with many QBs that did put up numbers similar to "X" and went on to NFL success.

On the flip side, can any of you come up with a single QB, call him "Y" that was 15-25, completed 53.9% of his passes, 6.7 YPA, 53/35 TD/int ration that went on to have success in the NFL. Without having to go back 50 years.

I bet I can come up with a whole lot more QBs that had "X" type numbers and went on to success in the NFL than anyone can come up with "Y" type numbers having success in the NFL.

How many of those guys would be guys you have actually watched games of, and how many of those guys are google/stat searches where you have watched no "credible" games of?

You can't tell me you have even watched 3 Jake Locker games, you are looking at a stat sheet and making assumptions. You don't have to admit to it, but atleast take a look at a few games before you continue.

His Oline at times is just dreadful, I mean it gets hard to watch and Jake Locker consistently makes plays with the cards he is dealt. To win 8 games and win that bowl game against Nebraska is one of the biggest upsets in the past few years.

only one way to find out, draft him him or watch someone else develop him.

as much as everyone hates the QB's in this draft, i really wouldn't hate taking any of them.. from gabbert to even newton and mallett (though neither are my favorite*opinion*) kaepernick locker Yates stanzi DEVLIN van camp.. man the list goes on. really the onyl QB im not liking is dalton. i actually have really found things i like about all of these prospects, but i really dont think anyone can start from day one besides gabbert newton and maybe mallett.

Well said.
How many of those guys would be guys you have actually watched games of, and how many of those guys are google/stat searches where you have watched no "credible" games of?

You can't tell me you have even watched 3 Jake Locker games, you are looking at a stat sheet and making assumptions. You don't have to admit to it, but atleast take a look at a few games before you continue.

His Oline at times is just dreadful, I mean it gets hard to watch and Jake Locker consistently makes plays with the cards he is dealt. To win 8 games and win that bowl game against Nebraska is one of the biggest upsets in the past few years.

Why don't you just admit that you haven't watched Jake Locker play... you'd save yourself a lot more time if you'd just copy and paste instead of typing all this out...

The Huskies were in every game that Jake Locker played when they went 0-12... they were losing by 35+ when Ronnie Fouch was starting at quarterback...

He played on team that went 0-12... he has no supporting cast. Even the games that he throws 3 TD passes, they still lose by 4 touchdowns because the defense is busy giving up 50 points (see Oregon St., etc.)

Washington has ZERO NFL talent on the offensive line... Chris Polk is a terrific back, and Jermaine Kearse is the only legitimate NFL talent at receiver.. The Huskies haven't even had an offensive lineman drafted since somewhere around 2002.

If you haven't seen the last minute TD drive that Locker led the Huskies on to beat USC in the upset.. WATCH IT. It was all him...

They lost to LSU by 8 points because it was LSU, and Washington was severely overmatched... Locker was on fire...

Anyone that has watched him over the past 4 years wouldn't have to ask the question regarding "when he's shown up other than running the football"... he's been there and done that on several occassions, only to lose the game anyway because the Huskies just don't have the talent...

Jake Locker has some bad tape in 2010, but there's not a quarterback in the country that's winning anymore games than Jake Locker did at Washington with that poor of a supporting cast...

He's not a franchise quarterback at this point, but he's certainly not garbage either. This is all getting completely overblown by people who I guarantee you haven't watched 10 minutes worth of Locker's entire college career...

:lol: Wow...I didn't know I was dealing with Miss Cleo. Your psychic skills are a little out of whack tonight.

I lived on the West coast over the greater part of the last 4 years and saw Washington on several occasions. Too many.

Easy to throw out a few games a player excels when there are 40 to choose from. I can even throw out games Henne was outstanding in college and in the pros (Jets 2009, Raiders 2010) but that still doesn't make him a franchise QB and worthy of the #15 pick. Locker has as many bad games as good.

I like how someone accuses me, make that guarantees, I didn't watch more than 10 minutes of the game and then states "The Huskies were in every game that Jake Locker played when they went 0-12... they were losing by 35+ when Ronnie Fouch was starting at quarterback..."

Yet, lost to Oregon 44-10 when Locker played and Oklahoma 55-14. In the 28-27 loss to Stanford, Locker got hurt when Washington only had 7 points on the board. The only game they were really in that Locker played the entire game was BYU.

So your advice right back at you...Why don't you just admit that you haven't watched Jake Locker play... you'd save yourself a lot more time if you'd just copy and paste instead of typing all this out...This is all getting completely overblown by people who I guarantee you haven't watched 10 minutes worth of Locker's entire college career...

:lol: Wow...I didn't know I was dealing with Miss Cleo. Your psychic skills are a little out of whack tonight.

I lived on the West coast over the greater part of the last 4 years and saw Washington on several occasions. Too many.

Easy to throw out a few games a player excels when there are 40 to choose from. I can even throw out games Henne was outstanding in college and in the pros (Jets 2009, Raiders 2010) but that still doesn't make him a franchise QB and worthy of the #15 pick. Locker has as many bad games as good.

I like how someone accuses me, make that guarantees, I didn't watch more than 10 minutes of the game and then states "The Huskies were in every game that Jake Locker played when they went 0-12... they were losing by 35+ when Ronnie Fouch was starting at quarterback..."

Yet, lost to Oregon 44-10 when Locker played and Oklahoma 55-14. In the 28-27 loss to Stanford, Locker got hurt when Washington only had 7 points on the board. The only game they were really in that Locker played the entire game was BYU.

So your advice right back at you...Why don't you just admit that you haven't watched Jake Locker play... you'd save yourself a lot more time if you'd just copy and paste instead of typing all this out...This is all getting completely overblown by people who I guarantee you haven't watched 10 minutes worth of Locker's entire college career...

You're proving my point... those are the games Washington was supposed to lose, and was going to lose by that wide of a margin no matter who the quarterback was... that's how bad the Husky football team is. Take a close look at those teams that Washington faced with Locker and try to convince yourself of which one they were supposed to be in...

Then go look at how much they were losing by to MUCH less talented teams WITHOUT Jake Locker...

His leading receiver from that time period was playing fullback in Oakland for f*ck's sake...

Fact is, just about every game Washington has won since Locker has been there, he deserves ALL the credit... because it's literally all him. By the same token, it's extremely unwise to pin the losses squarely on him... you just can't win games consistently with no supporting cast. Although it is nice that Chris Polk finally decided to show up...

They're not beating USC, Nebraska, etc. without Jake Locker... games they weren't supposed to win but they did...

Apparently one is only a football guru if they just babble on and on without supporting what they say with numbers. I guess I just don't have the insight that some people apparently have when I watch (YES, more than 3 games, but I seriously doubt you can say the same) a QB struggle against a team like UCLA this year (actually watched most of the game) who was 86th in defensive ppg (sorry, didn't mean to confuse you with numbers again...I will try to keep it to babble for now on). Or both games against Nebraska in which he completed 9 of 36 passes, 25% completion (darn it...used numbers again. I am sure I lost you by now).

Thank you for clearing up now that when I watch a QB who is inaccurate with his throws is actually "accurate" and worthy of the 15th pick in the draft as long as he has a poor OL (great logic btw...brilliant). The same OL that enabled a RB to get 1,415 yards, 5.4 per carry...ouch, once again more numbers. I will stop now as I am sure this is way over your head. And yes, I do understand run blocking is different than pass blocking.

Apparently one is only a football guru if they just babble on and on without supporting what they say with numbers. I guess I just don't have the insight that some people apparently have when I watch (YES, more than 3 games, but I seriously doubt you can say the same) a QB struggle against a team like UCLA this year (actually watched most of the game) who was 86th in defensive ppg (sorry, didn't mean to confuse you with numbers again...I will try to keep it to babble for now on). Or both games against Nebraska in which he completed 9 of 36 passes, 25% completion (darn it...used numbers again. I am sure I lost you by now).

Thank you for clearing up now that when I watch a QB who is inaccurate with his throws is actually "accurate" and worthy of the 15th pick in the draft as long as he has a poor OL (great logic btw...brilliant). The same OL that enabled a RB to get 1,415 yards, 5.4 per carry...ouch, once again more numbers. I will stop now as I am sure this is way over your head. And yes, I do understand run blocking is different than pass blocking.

The bottom line is all that babble and numbers nonsense only proves that you haven't watched the kid play, you probably NEED to stop. There's a lot of things you'll never be confused for... Over my head and confusing me is at the top of the list...

You obviously graduated head of the class from the hugoguzman school of analyzing football players... consider it not a feather in your cap...

The numbers to support the argument of Jake Locker have already been provided in order to point out how pitiful his supporting cast has always been, and how much worse Washington is without him...

I didn't say Locker was worth the 15th pick in the draft, nice attempt at a strawman there...

I'll leave you and your statistical title belt to yourselves.. I prefer to discuss draft prospects with people that actually watch the players and know what the hell they're talking about...

did anyone else think devlin looked really good today? i really wouldn't be surprised to see him become the biggest QB steal of the draft

Would Ireland pick Cam Newton (Would You?) ... looks more & more like he might be available at #15, inaccuracy gives a sinking feeling!!

1) He has character flaws ... AND recently labeled "his"self as an entertainer
2) Took a dump at the combine ... had the accuracy of Henne & White ... AND blamed it on others. He was fast though (so was White).
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ed-the-timing/
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-combine-test/

That's 2 BIG Strikes that could send him into a "Quinn Dive"

(put this in another post, but fits here better)

Back
Top Bottom