Sharpe and Mayock: Dolphins should draft QB Jake Locker | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sharpe and Mayock: Dolphins should draft QB Jake Locker

The bottom line is all that babble and numbers nonsense only proves that you haven't watched the kid play, you probably NEED to stop. There's a lot of things you'll never be confused for... Over my head and confusing me is at the top of the list...

You obviously graduated head of the class from the hugoguzman school of analyzing football players... consider it not a feather in your cap...

The numbers to support the argument of Jake Locker have already been provided in order to point out how pitiful his supporting cast has always been, and how much worse Washington is without him...

I didn't say Locker was worth the 15th pick in the draft, nice attempt at a strawman there...

I'll leave you and your statistical title belt to yourselves.. I prefer to discuss draft prospects with people that actually watch the players and know what the hell they're talking about...

Must be true what they say, "The smaller the ... the bigger the ego." Save yourself some energy and stop giving me advice on what I "NEED" to do. I only listen to advice from people I respect.

Seems like groundhog day. Same old song and dance. You respond to one of my posts. I don't bow down and worship your opinion and say "slim you are right and so amazing. Your opinion is the only one that counts," or think you are the football guru you appear to think you are. You take a few shots at me and then say how you are above responding to me. Here is an idea...don't respond to me to begin with, or the 2nd time, or the...That way you don't have lower yourself to begin with. :lol:

btw...once again you are "incorrect" with the statement "I didn't say Locker was worth the 15th pick in the draft, nice attempt at a strawman there..." as I never said you did. My response was to someone else. But once again, you just butted in and acted like I said you did.

A lot of people believe that Ireland and Sparano wouldn't draft a QB because it won't translate into wins on the field this year and they would unceremoniously be dumped at the end of the year. I disagree. Let's say the Dolphins were to get Newton, Locker, or Mallet. The plan was to go with Henne as the starter anyway and see if he miraculously turns it around. It's the Drew Brees/ Phillip Rivers in San Diego scenario. Year 3, Brees put up really good numbers, and might have netted San Diego a really good haul of draft picks had he not had the catastrophic shoulder separation.

A rookie QB, especially someone with a buzz like Newton, would probably buy the coaching staff and the front office at least one more year. If Henne falters, they slide the new stud in to put butts in the seats at Dolphin Stadium. Even if the new guy loses games, they have a built in excuse that the losing was due to a rookie QB.

Henne is really getting a bum deal IMO. He had zero running game to work with, zero protection, a TE who wasn't a safety valve like most are for young q'bs and on top of the a rubbish offensive co-ordinator & QB coach. All these 'experts' think that by drafting a qb in the 1st round will automatically fix the offence for Miami. There seriously kidding themselves. Particularly Locker. If cam Newton was available at 15, then yeah, he is a genuine playmake with both his hands & his feet, but Locker I am not sold on.

Newton/ingram should be our 1st pick, but if both are gone, trade down & grab a second pick.

In the end, give Henne a shot with some talent supporting him. And coaching staff too. If it fails, then NEXT year grab a qb early.

Must be true what they say, "The smaller the ... the bigger the ego." Save yourself some energy and stop giving me advice on what I "NEED" to do. I only listen to advice from people I respect.

Seems like groundhog day. Same old song and dance. You respond to one of my posts. I don't bow down and worship your opinion and say "slim you are right and so amazing. Your opinion is the only one that counts," or think you are the football guru you appear to think you are. You take a few shots at me and then say how you are above responding to me. Here is an idea...don't respond to me to begin with, or the 2nd time, or the...That way you don't have lower yourself to begin with. :lol:

btw...once again you are "incorrect" with the statement "I didn't say Locker was worth the 15th pick in the draft, nice attempt at a strawman there..." as I never said you did. My response was to someone else. But once again, you just butted in and acted like I said you did.

Let's get back on topic...evaluating Jake Locker requires more than repetitive stat thumping.

Locker never even had a QB coach his first 2 years at UW under that disaster of a head coach known as Tyrone Willingham. Let that sink in for a minute.. He never even had a POSITION COACH until Sarkisian arrived. He was just asked to go out there and improvise in an attempt to win games based off nothing but his athletic ability and raw talent.

As a sophomore, Willingham called a reverse play that sent Locker to be a lead blocker for the WR, which resulted in Locker getting his thumb caught on the defender and broke it. Locker tried to get the coaches to let him play safety since the thumb on his throwing hand was broken just so he could help his team, the coaches of course denied his request. He ended up missing basically the entire season and Washington went 0-12. They were the worst team in the country by far.

As a junior after Sarkisian arrived, he had a position coach for the first time in his LIFE, and a guy who actually knew what the hell he was doing. Locker performed extremely well in his first season in a pro style offense despite being surrounded with 0-12 talent. Completed 58% of his passes, threw 21 TD's and 11 INT's. He took 0-12 talent and made them 5-7. He was highly regarded among the scouting community and viewed as a lock top 5 pick if he came out, perhaps even #1 overall. Anyone who paid attention was aware of how well he adapted in his first season in Sark's pro style offense, and how he was doing it all on his own with such a poor supporting cast.

This year, Locker's stock took a huge hit for that clunker he put up against one of the best defenses in the country against Nebraska, with his offensive line demolished, and his receivers getting literally ZERO seperation against the Husker DB's. He tried to do too much and ended up turning the ball over a few times. But it didn't matter anyway... Nebraska had tallied up almost 400 yards rushing on the ground before UW even knew what happened...

He had a bad game against UCLA because he shouldn't have been playing in the first place from cracking his ribs against Oregon St. only a month earlier. He toughed it out and played the next 2 games anyway because he's one helluva competitor and a tough son of a b*tch. He had to sit out against Oregon because of the ribs, he played against UCLA anyway while he was still hurting because Washington had to win their last 3 games to make a bowl game...

Led a game winning drive the next week against Cal on the road to win by 1....

Led another game winning drive the next week on the road to beat Washington St. and make the Huskies bowl eligible for the first time in 8 years...

Washington was supposed to get slaughtered again by Nebraska in the Holiday Bowl. While his passing stats don't look good in that game, he actually played a good game if you watched it... making the correct decisions by throwing the ball away on several occasions, and didn't turn the football over despite his receivers being completely outmatched again. Hell, go watch the tape. His receivers are literally getting pushed out of bounds before they can even get 10 yards downfield. It was a complete joke watching his receivers trying to go up against Amukamara and Alfonzo Dennard. Once again, Locker took a shot that would've sidelined most any other quarterback for the rest of the game... instead, he comes right back in the game and WILLS his team to a victory against a far superior team...

When you watch the tape of Locker, you realize that he never had a checkdown receiver the entire year. The tight end is huge in Sark's offense, and UW's only TE was kicked off the team before the season even began... and the backup quit during the season.

Locker's receivers dropped 41 passes this year (yes...41). Andrew Luck's receivers only dropped 17. If Locker's WR's had only dropped 17 passes, his completion % would've been right around 63%.

He never had time to let a play develope due to his offensive line being so poor. Washington used NINE different combinations on the offensive line this year trying to find the right guys. Which is why Sark obviously had him rolling out and executing bootlegs so often... it was essentially the only way to let a play develope and give Locker any chance of completing a pass...

He had no safety valve, and played half the year with a broken rib.. which caused his stats to suffer even more.

Jake Locker could've sat out with the injury and kept his draft stock high, but he wanted to play through it, and go out fighting.. he wanted his teammates to have a winning season... and that's exactly what he did.

He's been clutch, he led Washington on 3 game winning drives, plus an overtime victory this season, which is tops in the country...

You don't have to bow down to me... but if you're going to talk draft prospects, is it really too much to ask that you actually watch the kids play and know what the hell you're talking about?

If it is, then do us all a favor and leave your useless stat thumping for the main board in your attempts to justify passing on Matt Ryan... they're even more useless in here...

A lot of people believe that Ireland and Sparano wouldn't draft a QB because it won't translate into wins on the field this year and they would unceremoniously be dumped at the end of the year. I disagree. Let's say the Dolphins were to get Newton, Locker, or Mallet. The plan was to go with Henne as the starter anyway and see if he miraculously turns it around. It's the Drew Brees/ Phillip Rivers in San Diego scenario. Year 3, Brees put up really good numbers, and might have netted San Diego a really good haul of draft picks had he not had the catastrophic shoulder separation.

A rookie QB, especially someone with a buzz like Newton, would probably buy the coaching staff and the front office at least one more year. If Henne falters, they slide the new stud in to put butts in the seats at Dolphin Stadium. Even if the new guy loses games, they have a built in excuse that the losing was due to a rookie QB.

That's a great theory and all... only if you're interested in built in excuses for these knuckleheads or saving their jobs...

They're in this position because they chose not to make the quarterback position a priority when they got here, and the one's they have drafted were either out of the league as fast as they brought him in, or take turns going to the bench...

Now they're FORCED to not only address it legitimately, but a whiff this time is going to punch their ticket right outta here...

...wish 'em luck...

if the theory is that they dont win next year they're out, then you have to assume they need a legit QB, which means its possible a regime whos future is uncertain would be willing to morgage that future by trading away future picks to move up now, going after a QB like gabbert or even newton or beyond depending on who starts coming off the board. as much as we like to think only 1-2 QB's will go in the top 10 its possible 3-4 do, unlikely but possible

Slimm, would you agree that the effort Locker has put in on his footwork - specifically eliminating the hop-skip - was evident yesterday?

Locker's receivers dropped 41 passes this year (yes...41). Andrew Luck's receivers only dropped 17. If Locker's WR's had only dropped 17 passes, his completion % would've been right around 63%.

I was wondering that myself Slimm. I saw the bowl game and there were a lot of drops in that game, somewhere around 5 drops, and at some point in that game Locker just started to tuck the ball and run because he had more confidence in his ability to gain yards with his feet than he did throwing the ball. Now he wasn't perfectly accurate in that game but his receivers were getting their hands on the ball, they were just dropping it and a few were right on the money.

My question is, how hard will it be to break him of his habit of wanting to run when things aren't going his way in the passing game? I like an athletic QB and taking advantage of that is great but ultimately I want a guy who, even when passes are being dropped, he has confidence in his receivers to make the catch. He's going to need that at this level.

Also, since you've watch more tape on him than I have at this point. How well does he anticipate his throws? How quickly does he get rid of the ball once he decides to throw to his target? If he hesitates, which I have seen him do on occasion like Henne where he's late on his throws, that's something I don't think you can teach or break a QB from doing.

By the way I thought Christian Ponder looked pretty good yesterday.

I was wondering that myself Slimm. I saw the bowl game and there were a lot of drops in that game, somewhere around 5 drops, and at some point in that game Locker just started to tuck the ball and run because he had more confidence in his ability to gain yards with his feet than he did throwing the ball. Now he wasn't perfectly accurate in that game but his receivers were getting their hands on the ball, they were just dropping it and a few were right on the money.

My question is, how hard will it be to break him of his habit of wanting to run when things aren't going his way in the passing game? I like an athletic QB and taking advantage of that is great but ultimately I want a guy who, even when passes are being dropped, he has confidence in his receivers to make the catch. He's going to need that at this level.

Also, since you've watch more tape on him than I have at this point. How well does he anticipate his throws? How quickly does he get rid of the ball once he decides to throw to his target? If he hesitates, which I have seen him do on occasion like Henne where he's late on his throws, that's something I don't think you can teach or break a QB from doing.

By the way I thought Christian Ponder looked pretty good yesterday.

Locker did whatever it took to try to get a 1st down... it's that bad. He's obviously not worried about what he's going to need at the next level when it's 3rd and 9, down by 14, and playing with nothing but scrubs... he's trying to win a football game. But first thing's first... advance the football. If they don't want to catch it, do it yourself...

Again, he's never had a QB coach until a year and a half ago when Sarkisian arrived. He developed some bad habits (double clutching, etc. like you just pointed out) due to several factors. When he decides to throw it he throws it.. it's that simple, and it gets there in a hurry. The delivery is incredibly quick and compact... you can watch 2 throws and should be able to tell that immediately.

It's hard to anticipate your receivers literally getting run out of bounds and leaving you nowhere to throw the football unless you scramble around and allow them time to uncover. The RB was kept in to block the majority of the time on pass plays because the offensive line was so poor... which didn't leave him a checkdown option or outlet. Hell, we'd all be double clutching under all these odds...

I don't think that is anywhere near a major concern to answer your question...

I didn't say he was worth the 15th pick either, in fact I clearly said he was the TYPE of QB this regime wants but not the type we can afford because I feel he needs to sit for a year or 2 with a solid QB guy and work on his technique and accuracy issues. I like the "other" things he brings . . . things a guy like Chad Henne has not displayed. I have not mocked him or placed him in my top 5 at 15 so obviously I don't think he is a good fit at 15 for us.

I wouldn't mind if they took him at 15, somebody is going to roll the dice on him in round 1. I know the guy has the ability.

Why don't you just admit that you haven't watched Jake Locker play... you'd save yourself a lot more time if you'd just copy and paste instead of typing all this out...

The Huskies were in every game that Jake Locker played when they went 0-12... they were losing by 35+ when Ronnie Fouch was starting at quarterback...

He played on team that went 0-12... he has no supporting cast. Even the games that he throws 3 TD passes, they still lose by 4 touchdowns because the defense is busy giving up 50 points (see Oregon St., etc.)

Washington has ZERO NFL talent on the offensive line... Chris Polk is a terrific back, and Jermaine Kearse is the only legitimate NFL talent at receiver.. The Huskies haven't even had an offensive lineman drafted since somewhere around 2002.

If you haven't seen the last minute TD drive that Locker led the Huskies on to beat USC in the upset.. WATCH IT. It was all him...

They lost to LSU by 8 points because it was LSU, and Washington was severely overmatched... Locker was on fire...

Anyone that has watched him over the past 4 years wouldn't have to ask the question regarding "when he's shown up other than running the football"... he's been there and done that on several occassions, only to lose the game anyway because the Huskies just don't have the talent...

Jake Locker has some bad tape in 2010, but there's not a quarterback in the country that's winning anymore games than Jake Locker did at Washington with that poor of a supporting cast...

He's not a franchise quarterback at this point, but he's certainly not garbage either. This is all getting completely overblown by people who I guarantee you haven't watched 10 minutes worth of Locker's entire college career...

Joe Toledo?

Henne is really getting a bum deal IMO. He had zero running game to work with, zero protection, a TE who wasn't a safety valve like most are for young q'bs and on top of the a rubbish offensive co-ordinator & QB coach. All these 'experts' think that by drafting a qb in the 1st round will automatically fix the offence for Miami. There seriously kidding themselves. Particularly Locker. If cam Newton was available at 15, then yeah, he is a genuine playmake with both his hands & his feet, but Locker I am not sold on.

Newton/ingram should be our 1st pick, but if both are gone, trade down & grab a second pick.

In the end, give Henne a shot with some talent supporting him. And coaching staff too. If it fails, then NEXT year grab a qb early.

[video=youtube;DksSPZTZES0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DksSPZTZES0[/video]

Back
Top Bottom