Should Miami Target Georgia CB Paul Oliver in Supplemental Draft? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Should Miami Target Georgia CB Paul Oliver in Supplemental Draft?

I don't recall the last time any team has used a 1st tender for the supplemental.

actually, a quarter of all supp picks have been 1st rounders. there have been some good ones like mike rozier, bernie kosar, timm rosenbach & booby humphrey; but also some bad ones- dave brown, rob moore, the boz, and others who weren't heard from much again. i agree, no first rounder in the supp, but a 2nd may be worth it for oliver (or gaither).

actually, a quarter of all supp picks have been 1st rounders. there have been some good ones like mike rozier, bernie kosar, timm rosenbach & booby humphrey; but also some bad ones- dave brown, rob moore, the boz, and others who weren't heard from much again. i agree, no first rounder in the supp, but a 2nd may be worth it for oliver (or gaither).

Booby Humphrey? now thats a name i would remember. :)

I do think giving up a 1st pick right now would be wrong.

Yea yea, it's a gamble, but so is everything else in the draft, and you're not even looking at the possible other side of the spectrum......... what if we gave up a 1st for Oliver and he turns out to be really good for us AND our offense plays better this year and we end up making it to the playoffs. If this happens then we would have made a GREAT move by aquiring Oliver this year. My point is none of us know if any of that will happen but none of us know that it won't happen either. People are quick to point out the "what ifs" when it's something bad like if we got Oliver with a first then end up picking top ten next year but what about the "what ifs" like we get him and he does great and we don't have a high pick, or also......."what if" New England gives up a first for him and he plays great for them and they make it far in the playoffs....... then they would have gotten a STEAL by getting a top 15 player with a Late 1st rounder, then everyone will be saying we should have gotten this guy and what a huge mistake it was to let New England steal a star player right from under us
I realize that their are always risk but it is about making a calculated risk and not overpaying for someone. The guy was projected to be a 3rd round guy this year so why would we give a 1st in next years draft for him before we even know what our other options would be? I just think it is to high.

after reading through all the replys in this thread reguarding paul oliver... i can certainly understand all the scepticisim about using a 1st round tender ... but like some have pointed out NE or IND might be able to afford spending a late 1st on a guy with oliver's talents.... my point is... miami needs all the talented players it can get... and just having what looks like a very controversial 2007 draft... i think it might be too EASY to be gun shy on pulling the trigger on a guy who MIGHT have been a 2nd - 3rd round guy in the 2007 draft... the feeling here is... with all oliver's workouts he very well might have gone in the 1st round... everyone seems NOT to want to draft him unless they can steal him... thats not in the best interest of the dolphins... they have some serious questions in their secondary... and oliver in an UPGRADE IMO !!! so don't get me wrong when i say draft him with a 1st rounder... the roster dictates they may have too... if they want to improve a weak spot and have a guy like oliver to groom!!!

Does anyone know the date of the supp. draft?

Reggie Ball was the only one that could atop CJ. Watch this year when he or Adrian Peterson takes rook -of -the year. I think were good on corners anyway with the Allens and a healthy TD. J Allen better be fine anyway the way the punk held out longer than anyone but Leinert and spent his time buying a mansion while our team worked their tails off last off-season.

When is the supplemental draft? Do you really think the Dolphin staff will move on him considering that just signed 2 college players and one of them is a safety.

Do you honestly think signing those 2 players influence anything? They're nothing but a couple of guys who had to try out and weren't even signed right away as UDFA's. They'll be lucky if they make the practice squad.

Lookslike one of out 2 major needs
OT and CB

if you say he is a 1 st rounder next year give up 2nd

I might be just spoiled with Surtain and Madison

I think CB and DT is the 2 most important postions in football

get him
and still what about Fancea OG for a 3rd if he signs a onctract with us

can Kendall play RT for a year?

I have faith in Beck. so no Qb's
take atleast 2-3 years to see if he will pan out anyway
but I like Beck
the only other need I see is another DT. but look warm need

Lookslike one of out 2 major needs
OT and CB

if you say he is a 1 st rounder next year give up 2nd

I might be just spoiled with Surtain and Madison

I think CB and DT is the 2 most important postions in football

get him
and still what about Fancea OG for a 3rd if he signs a onctract with us

can Kendall play RT for a year?

I have faith in Beck. so no Qb's
take atleast 2-3 years to see if he will pan out anyway
but I like Beck
the only other need I see is another DT. but look warm need
Rod Wright is our DT I hope. If I'm not mistaken he had as many bench reps as everyone else at the combine and did it with a torn bicep that kept him on the IR for us all of last year. He has studied the D for a year and hopefully he will be able to be the force he was at Texas.

Should Miami Target Georgia CB Paul Oliver in Supplemental Draft?[/quote]

I don't know, they have eight CB's on the roster now, most of them inexperienced. Jason Allen hasn't had a chance to play the position at all. I'm thinking the need to give him a chance and save the picks for next year.

On the flip side, I wouldn't be upset if they gave a second rounder for a projected first round pick, there are plenty of guys on the roster they could cut to make room for a potential star and starter.

GO PHINS~!

yea, r corners r showin up in camp this year, lets not waste nemore of next years pix this year

I am not really sure about the whole concept of “wasting a draft pick†on a draft pick.

I.E. Did Cleveland make a mistake when drafting Bernie Kosar in 1985 with their 1986 first round pick?

I mean with the pick they waited on him they could have used to draft Chuck Long the second quarterback taken in the 1986 draft.

A draft pick is a draft pick whether it is used in July or April.

With Andre Goodman's shoulder concerns, I'd target Paul Oliver no question..He's a gamer, period.

I pretty damn sure Mueller/Cam would be intrigued enterig a bid on him in the upcomming supplemental...

Back
Top Bottom