Should The Phins Go Back To More 3-4 D? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Should The Phins Go Back To More 3-4 D?

I'm talking draft, how you build championships. I guarantee you there will be some 2nd/3rd/4th round Wideout that will flash huge playmaking ability Ireland failed to recognize and draft again. It happens EVERY year. Not one offensive playmaker Ireland has been keen to draft in 6 years. And we wonder why we scored 18 points a game last year? You can't keep buying or trading for offensive talent.

This draft was solid, but falls in line with status quo. In my opinion we blew it with the multitude of pics we had to dynamically change our team.

Disagree, who would you have taken? I did not see a play making WR worth a damn.

We have the players to play both with enough depth at both. Doesn't matter. In the NFL these days I feel like we play in the Nickle more than anything else it seems like.

I'm talking draft, how you build championships. I guarantee you there will be some 2nd/3rd/4th round Wideout that will flash huge playmaking ability Ireland failed to recognize and draft again. It happens EVERY year. Not one offensive playmaker Ireland has been keen to draft in 6 years. And we wonder why we scored 18 points a game last year? You can't keep buying or trading for offensive talent.

This draft was solid, but falls in line with status quo. In my opinion we blew it with the multitude of pics we had to dynamically change our team.

if a 2nd/3rd/4th round WR breaks out, then EVERYBODY failed to recognize this player at least 2 times, stop with the mindless Ireland bashing. and since we're talking about drafting and WR's, lets look at the last 2 super bowl champs: Ravens traded for Anquan boldin and signed Jacoby Jones (or traded for him, can't remember). Drafted torrey smith though. Giants drafted hakeem nicks, but victor cruz was signed as a FA.

so 1 drafted contributor each, the rest were brought in via trade/FA. Hartline and matthews were both Ireland draftees that'll have big roles this year, and wallace/gibson were brought in via FA. we're not doing anything differently then the majority of the NFL

I agree with Palma on this one.

Last year we had a solid LT and an explosive RB that was our top TD producer, and a solid 2-way TE who was our 2nd highest TD producer.

We had one of the 3 worst WR corps in the league last year, along with St. Louis and maybe Cleveland. We got rid of our 2nd best receiver ... to Cleveland, and replaced him with the 2nd best WR from ... St. Louis. Sorry, I'm not calling that building around our young QB.

Yes, we added Wallace. That was excellent. What else did we do?

We added a seam threat WR with the same speed as Hartline who cannot block, and we are calling him a 'TE' despite being nothing more than a possession WR who isn't a size mismatch and is about the same red zone threat that Fasano was ... and signals PASS in big flashing neon letters every time he is on the field. Then we added a low quality TE prospect to block, complete with a big flashing neon RUN sign on his jersey.

We added a good WR and lost a good LT. At best that's an expensive swap in my book. Miller may replace Bush, but that's not upgrading.

Palma said he basically wanted to see us draft more offense to build around Tannehill. Me too.

I think it should remain a hybrid but the focus should switch from a 4-3 to more of a 3-4

I'm actually very excited about the versatility of our defense. We should definitely be running a ton of different and exotic looks this year as that's really the best way to get the most out of our front 7 talent. Wake and Jordan should do a whole lot of moving around and rushing the passer from linebacker and defensive end.

I agree with Palma on this one.

Last year we had a solid LT and an explosive RB that was our top TD producer, and a solid 2-way TE who was our 2nd highest TD producer.

We had one of the 3 worst WR corps in the league last year, along with St. Louis and maybe Cleveland. We got rid of our 2nd best receiver ... to Cleveland, and replaced him with the 2nd best WR from ... St. Louis. Sorry, I'm not calling that building around our young QB.

Yes, we added Wallace. That was excellent. What else did we do?

We added a seam threat WR with the same speed as Hartline who cannot block, and we are calling him a 'TE' despite being nothing more than a possession WR who isn't a size mismatch and is about the same red zone threat that Fasano was ... and signals PASS in big flashing neon letters every time he is on the field. Then we added a low quality TE prospect to block, complete with a big flashing neon RUN sign on his jersey.

We added a good WR and lost a good LT. At best that's an expensive swap in my book. Miller may replace Bush, but that's not upgrading.

Palma said he basically wanted to see us draft more offense to build around Tannehill. Me too.

In one of the interviews it was stated by Jeff that Austin was the guy they were looking to move up for but they had to get in front of Buffalo to do it they thought. Then he compliment the tackle Johnson which i took to mean he was not that high on their board like most thought.
Ireland said he saw a TV shot of the raiders on the clock. No one was on the phones so Jeff called assuming that Oakland wanted the CB Hayden. They said no at first but quickly called back and did the deal before time ran out.

No I don't have the link but I think they know getting weapons for Ryan is a high priority. How many millions did they spend trying to do so in free agency ? Jordan kind of fall in their laps.

Last edited by a moderator:
In one of the interviews it was stated by Jeff that Austin was the guy they were looking to move up for but they had to get in front of Buffalo to do it they thought. Then he compliment the tackle Johnson which i took to mean he was not that high on their board like most thought.
Ireland said he saw a TV shot of the raiders on the clock. No one was on the phones so Jeff called assuming that Oakland wanted the CB Hayden. They said no at first but quickly called back and did the deal before time ran out.

No I don't have the link but I think they know getting weapons for Ryan is a high priority. How many millions did they spend trying to do so in free agency ? Jordan kind of fall in their laps.

The quote was in the Herald a few days ago. Austin was #1 and Eifert #2 on their board but, then Oakland took a deal no one thought could happen, and Jordan was the only player over Austin.

We have personnel for both so why not give opposing coordinators more to think about. Wouldn't mind seeing them throw in some 5-2 as well.

### Asked if Miami might go back to using more 3-4 defense instead of last year’s 4-3 approach, he said: “There are some pieces you can look at it. We came from a 3-4 a year ago. We joked as a scouting staff we changed a year too late. Joe Philbin and Kevin Coyle will put together a creative defense. I’m excited about this defense because we can come at you from multiple different places.”

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...cision-ahead-for-um-player.html#storylink=cpy

Here's whatt Ireland had to say on more 3-4.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What does everyone think on NT moving forward? Soliai is gonna be a pricey FA next year, and without him we really don't have a true NT. I really believe that the surprise availability of Jordon is going to change coaches thinking of what the team will do on D.

We have personnel for both so why not give opposing coordinators more to think about. Wouldn't mind seeing them throw in some 5-2 as well.

Agreed but, we no longer have depth in a 3 man front rotation as we had before. IF we are going to use it more, I could see adding to it.

Did you really just include Egnew? And we would take that seriously?

lol. I included Egnew to point out the intent of Ireland/Philbin. Who knows, he still might be a player.

Does everyone agree with me that Philbin has had a lot of input in our draft pick the last two years? It seems that, with some, Philbin is not mentioned when it comes to moves posters don't agree with.

Correct me if I'm wrong but, everything I've read or heard had both Ireland and Philbin in agreement on what the team is doing. The only question mark I saw was on Hard Knocks, when Philbin did not appear to be in favor of the VD trade.

With that in mind, was Philbin also wrong on the past two drafts or, does he not count when Phans don't like what was done?

This will be an attacking defense that will have both looks and should confuse many QB's. versatility will be the key, I would like to see the hybrid continue.
Also, they helped Tannehill with offense in free agency and defense in the draft, he will need them both

Back
Top Bottom