Sign Russell for Vet Minimum? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sign Russell for Vet Minimum?

Ray - I always enjoy your comments but we agree to disagree on bringing Russell Wilson in as a backup. Russ will never ever see himself as a backup. Last week he was talking about winning another 2 Super Bowls before he retires. His ego is off the chart and even bringing him in as a backup, he would do everything he could to undermine Tua, all day everyday. It would immediately result in a QB controversy (he knows how to fuel the media) and Mike McDaniel wouldn't be able to contain it.
There is a reason why Denver are prepared to incur a $38M dead cap hit this year, a $42M dead cap next year (and still don't have a QB). Also Seattle took a $26M dead cap hit when he was traded by the Seahawks. The nice smiling, softly spoken, devoutly religious Russell you see in front of the camera is allegedly difficult if things don't go his way. Sean Payton even dumbed down the Broncos playbook to about 10 plays for Russ. He's not what he was 10 years ago. We don't need the drama. Would love to see him go the Jets as Aaron Rodgers backup.

You may be right, but when it comes to backup QB's, I prefer a vet who has had some success. Sometimes people reflect and change over time and sometimes they don't. I always expect the Coaching Staff and FO to be able to make a good evaluation of the current capabilities of a FA.

There are seldom any perfect fits for backup QB's, so all you can do is identify one who will best fit in our organization and will be ready to play at a moment's notice. Every backup QB is in reality, one play away from being called in.

Why? A guy that is a locker room cancer who likely doesn't believe he's a backup despite his play making even that questionable?

I don't see Russel fitting into the culture in Pittsburgh.

I heard Dudley Do wrong mention signing Garrapolo on a podcast if we release or trade Mike White to save about $3M in cap space.

Similar to Wilson, Garrapolo has about $17M guaranteed to him next season, so he could be signed to the vets minimum to be our backup if we don't trust Thompson to be the backup.

I heard Dudley Do wrong mention signing Garrapolo on a podcast if we release or trade Mike White to save about $3M in cap space.

Similar to Wilson, Garrapolo has about $17M guaranteed to him next season, so he could be signed to the vets minimum to be our backup if we don't trust Thompson to be the backup.
Based on his injury history in the NFL, Garrapolo if he signed with the Dolphins he would probably get hurt in preseason and miss the entire season.

At this point, I prefer they stick with White and Thompson unless they find a QB in the late rounds of the draft or as an UDFA to replace Thompson.

Back
Top Bottom