Sign Russell for Vet Minimum? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sign Russell for Vet Minimum?

Has to be one of the worst ideas I've seen on here all week.

Now I can't stop thinking about our "Franchise" QB smiling after being pulverized 26-7 walking up to Mahomes and asking for his jersey...IN...THE...PLAYOFFS!!! THE ****ING PLAYOFFS!!
That behavior alone should have spoke volumes to Dolphins management and set the wheels in motion to acquire a new QB.

Tua has already peaked my friend
He led the league in pass yards and was a top 5 QB in the entire league. Wilson was no where close to Tua in 2023 and Wilson peaked a long time ago.

As I stated yesterday, Tua will be the Dolphins QB for the next decade. Accept that fact or find another team to root for.

Have you been watching the Dolphins play since 1972? If so then you should have long ago learned whether a QB has got what it takes or not, especially one that has played for the Dolphins for 4 seasons.
If you're young person or someone who has only watched the Dolphins for a season or two please disregard the above sentence.
Either way, what matters is that Tua had his shot and the results were not good, so it's time to move on a try to find aa QB who can lead the Dolphins to the Superbowl.
Actually I have been a fan since 1966. Tua is the second best QB the Dolphins have had in their history and that includes Griese. Marino is the only QB that has been better, IMO.

It takes an entire team to win a SB and that’s why Marino never won a SB during his career. Put Tua on the 49er’s and they would have still been in the SB this past season.

Put Brock Purdy on the Dolphins and they wouldn’t have won any more games than they did and likely wouldn’t have made the playoffs.

Blaming Tua for all the injuries on the OL and on the defense that led to the teams decline in play over the late part of the season makes no sense at all.

If Denver chose to release him and still pay him that money, that tells you something. I am not familiar with their decision but Isimply can't think that was the right move! There is a reason Pete and Sean moved on from him. Let's steer clear

Would make a lot of sense. Not sure he's ready to take a backup job quite yet. He can probably be a starter somewhere.
He could beat out Tua in training camp if he was signed.

I read somewhere that Wilson can sign anywhere for the vet minimum and it would just come off the salary he is already receiving from Denver ($30M+). So he basically can’t earn anything more than what he is getting from Denver, unless a team wants to pay him more than $30M.

He will probably just end up taking a year off and collecting a paycheck for doing nothing, but teams should definitely consider trying to sign him as a backup. Who knows, maybe he would be fine in a back up role if he is seeking another ring.
Not the craziest idea.

Two questions:
1 Is he a fit for this offense? I honestly don't know.

2 Does he have an opportunity to start somewhere and stick it to the Broncos? If he still has some competitive fire in his belly, he may be looking for a starting opportunity at the very least, and he probably wouldn't have that here baring an injury from Tua.

but he'd make an excellent insurance policy at back up for the league minimum....

I read somewhere that Wilson can sign anywhere for the vet minimum and it would just come off the salary he is already receiving from Denver ($30M+). So he basically can’t earn anything more than what he is getting from Denver, unless a team wants to pay him more than $30M.

He will probably just end up taking a year off and collecting a paycheck for doing nothing, but teams should definitely consider trying to sign him as a backup. Who knows, maybe he would be fine in a back up role if he is seeking another ring.

Don't think he would be happy as a backup.

Absolutely no. Russell's a "me first" sanctimonious turd who has the ability to infect team culture. Keep him away from Tua. There is a reason why Denver are taking a massive $38M dead cap hit this season and next as well, just to get rid of him (and they don't have a QB to replace him). Yes, he'd come cheap and he has a big chip on his shoulder, but letting Russell in the building would smash the good team culture of last season in 10 seconds. I doubt that Mike McDaniel could put up with him.
Meh, I think the game we had with them this year shows much bigger problems in Denver than Russell Wilson.

Back
Top Bottom