Slimm's 2012 Underrated Prospects (Seniors) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2012 Underrated Prospects (Seniors)

The Razorbacks bring the deepest and most talented group of receivers in the country with Greg Childs, Jarius Wright, Cobi Hamilton, and Joe Adams. Greg Childs is the best pro prospect of the group in my opinion, but Joe Adams is the most underrated.

Adams is deadly from the slot with his extreme quickness and run-after-catch-ability, but also split out beyond the numbers where his speed is put on display. One of the best things I notice about Joe Adams is that he's ALWAYS open... and it's not because of blown coverage. It's because he knows how to get seperation from the defensive back.

The one thing he has to cut down on is the drops... I don't think any of his drops last year were more costly than the one you'll see here on Arkansas' first play of the game against Ohio St. in the Sugar Bowl. Mallett threw a perfect pass that would've resulted in a long touchdown if Adams just manages to catch the football.

He also brings outstanding special teams ability on punt returns, averaging over 15 yards per return....

Joe Adams vs. Georgia, Auburn, Ohio St.:

[video=youtube;IBi8374HyeU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBi8374HyeU[/video]

Marquis Maze is a lot like Joe Adams, perhaps a tad shorter and a step slower (we're still talking 4.4 speed here)... except Maze's hands are very, very reliable.

I honestly have no idea what type of season lies ahead for Maze with the absence of Julio Jones to take most of the attention away, and with Bama breaking in a new quarterback.

What I do know is that Marquiz Maze will produce big in situations where he's facing single coverage if Bama's quarterback can just get him the football... often just flat out blowing by the defensive back...

Maze reminds me a little bit of Santana Moss when he came out of Miami....

Maze vs. Miss. St.:

[video=youtube;6RfVpIZlH6k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RfVpIZlH6k&feature=related[/video]

Danny Trevathan would probably start for just about any defense in the SEC... he led the SEC last season with 144 tackles.

Much like Lavonte David and Sean Spence, Trevathan is probably a little undersized to be a fit for every scheme... certainly not the Adonis that former Wildcat linebacker Micah Johnson was... but Trevathan is a better tackler.

It'll be interesting to see how Trevathan performs this season when Kentucky goes to their 3-4 alignments....

Trevathan vs. Auburn:

[video=youtube;9NldlR1nmvI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NldlR1nmvI[/video]

Lavonte David, Doug Martin and Tank Carder are definitely players that intrigued me last year. Nice list Slimm.

I don't think this kid is quite as good as Danny Trevathan (doesn't have the range of Trevathan, nor is he as solid a tackler), but Jerry Franklin has a shot to lead the Razorbacks in tackles for 4 straight years.

When I compare Jerry Franklin to Trevathan, I come away under the impression that one of these kids can play in the NFL, and the other one is simply an underrated SEC linebacker that I need to see improve in some areas as a Senior. Can you guess which is which?

Franklin might be more of a 2-down linebacker at the next level in my opinion, but there's usually a role for these type of linebackers in the NFL.

Jerry Franklin vs. Auburn:

[video=youtube;PKbE9EYB754]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKbE9EYB754&feature=player_embedded[/video]

I'm going to conclude my list of underrated Senior prospects with a few more guys from each position that are for the most part, underrated kids and a few more guys I like...

Quarterbacks:

Chandler Harnish - Northern Illinois

Austin Davis - Southern Miss

Dan Persa - Northwestern

Running Backs:

Bobby Rainey - Western Kentucky

Bryce Beall - Houston

Wide Receivers:

T.Y. Hilton - FIU

Jarrett Boykin - Virginia Tech

Jermaine Kearse - Washington

B.J. Cunningham - Michigan St.

Rishard Matthews - Nevada

Derek Moye - Penn St.

Marvin McNutt - Iowa

Kendall Wright - Baylor

Marvin Jones - California

Tight Ends:

Ladarius Green - UL Lafayette

Coby Fleener - Stanford

Offensive Tackles:

Al Netter - Northwestern

Mike Ryan - UCONN

Offensive Guards:

Rokevious Watkins - South Carolina

Brandon Mosely - Auburn

Centers:

David Molk - Michigan

William Vlachos - Alabama

Defensive Ends:

Jake Bequette - Arkansas

Marcus Robinson - Miami

Jason Peters - Georgia Tech

Adrian Robinson - Temple

Defensive Tackles:

Alameda Ta'amu - Washington

Billy Winn - Boise St.

Derek Wolfe - Cincinnati

Kheeston Randle - Texas

Linebackers:

Jericho Nelson - Arkansas (I actually like this kid better than Jerry Franklin)

Chris Marve - Vanderbilt

Cornerbacks:

Dequan Menzie - Alabama (Dre Kirkpatrick gets all the hype, but I'm here to tell you that Menzie is the best cornerback on Alabama's roster... just watch what I'm trying to tell you here...)

Tashaun Gipson - Wyoming

Brandon Boykin - Georgia (Also one of the country's most dangerous kick returners)

Morris Claiborne - LSU

Shaun Prater - Iowa

Safeties:

Markelle Martin - Oklahoma St.

Blake Gideon - Texas

Harrison Smith - Notre Dame

Winston Guy - Kentucky

George Iloka - Boise St.

Last edited by a moderator:
Overrated Senior prospects, I'd have to go with the following:

Quarterbacks:

Kirk Cousins - Michigan St.

Nick Foles - Arizona

Case Keenum - Houston

Running Backs:

N/A

Wide Receivers:

Juron Criner - Arizona

Devier Posey - Ohio St.

Tight Ends:

George Bryan - N.C. State

Offensive Tackles:

Matt Reynolds - BYU

Offensive Guards:

N/A

Centers:

N/A

Defensive Ends:

Jack Crawford - Penn St.

Andre Branch - Clemson

Defensive Tackles:

N/A

Linebackers:

N/A

Cornerbacks:

Neiko Thorpe - Auburn

Safeties:

N/A

I usually wait until around the middle of August to make an overrated/underrated thread for the upcoming season... However, I'm going to go ahead and make it a little earlier this year.

I'll make one for the underclassmen and juniors also as I get around to it... I'll make this thread for Senior prospects that are guaranteed to be in the 2012 NFL Draft barring injury and/or a medical redshirt and a 6th year of eligibility.

Receivers like Alshon Jeffrey, Justin Blackmon, and Michael Floyd are going to get the majority of the hype and recognition this year, but Jeff Fuller might be my favorite out of all of them. He's a physical receiver with incredibly strong hands, a significant catch radius, and a polished route runner among other things. He's improved every year, and I think he's in for a big Senior season with Ryan Tannehill throwing him the football.... perhaps even his best season. I think he's a solid top 20 pick, and a big reason why aTm has a shot to sneak by Oklahoma this year and win the Big-12(-2).

Here's a little bit of him against the best cornerback in the country last year in Patrick Peterson...

[video=youtube;GXJ4FcW8Nug]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXJ4FcW8Nug&feature=player_embedded[/video]

i like jeff fuller...that kids a specimen...i agree underrated...but is it me or is that qbs timing pretty damn spot on and the balls delivered exactly where it needs to be...some pretty tight windows he's throwin those balls into...not a whole lot of separation on the outside...but thats the best corner i've seen in quite a while he's doin it against also

Bruce Irvin is a guy who almost led the nation in sacks last season (finished 2nd in the country with 14 sacks) despite being in his first season, and playing mostly only on 3rd downs. At 6'3", 240, he's a prime candidate to be looked at as one of the top "hybrid" pass rushers in college football in 2012, who will be looked at as a potential 3-4 rush end at the next level. He's going to get his chance to be an every down player this year as a Senior, and prove his worth to NFL scouts.

He's still a little one dimensional right now, but he's an absolute terror rushing the passer with his elite first step, quickness off the snap, and relentless pursuit. Even if he doesn't match his sack total as a Senior, he can still be a better overall football player by the end of the season than he was last year.

Here he is versus Maryland:

[video=youtube;UUCk9jVF5z8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUCk9jVF5z8&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Versus N.C. State:

[video=youtube;me5hL6ob7MM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me5hL6ob7MM[/video]

wow...that kids explosive...he's a yard off the ball at the snap on many of those rushes against the maryland tackle and still beating him around the edge like he's standing still...i'm impressed...technique looks raw but there's some high end tools there...that get off of the ball is pretty damn jaw dropping...looks like his change of direction is pretty good also...motor looks good...i'm betting he measures in at the combine or senior bowl at 6 ft 1 and some change that doesn't look like 6 ft 3 to me...i look forward to seeing him this season no doubt

worst case looks like he'd make a heck of a situational pass rusher

Doug Martin is an underrated running back... plain and simple. His low center of gravity, and tough/determined running style makes him a little bit of a poor man's Mark Ingram. The difference is, Mark Ingram didn't fumble. That's the only concern I have with Martin is that he has to be consistent totin' the rock. He's averaged over 6.0 yards per carry the last two seasons.

Martin won't be a 1st rounder, but I think he'll make a solid pick in the 3rd round or so for a team that likes squatty, underrated, tough runners who can gain yards after contact. He could put up a 1,500 yard season as a Senior with a big game against Georgia in the season opener, and TCU on November, 12th. Those are the only two legitimate defenses he'll face all season, the rest are cupcakes.

Here's a little of him against Nevada:

[video=youtube;FKyoik3ZEXw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKyoik3ZEXw[/video]

is catching the screen pass underneath and probably the flare in the flat pretty much the extent of what he offers as a receiver??? looks like a 2 down guy to me in the pros

You won't hear of many folks having a player from Vanderbilt as an underrated prospect, but Casey Hayward can play in the NFL in my opinion. He's more of a man cover corner that has the hips to turn and run with any receiver in the SEC, and the ball skills to pick off passes if he's allowed to turn his head and locate the football. He struggles in zone coverage, and won't be a fit for every scheme, and doesn't play off-man as well as he should either.

He's more of a bump-and-run type corner...

If he improves his awareness, learns to keep his head up and play with his heels on the ground as a Senior, he'll be a top 150 selection....

Hayward vs. UCONN:

[video=youtube;vmK3HkxOpuQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmK3HkxOpuQ[/video]

thats pretty much what i'm seeing...like him in bump and run...don't like him all that much in anything else

i like jeff fuller...that kids a specimen...i agree underrated...but is it me or is that qbs timing pretty damn spot on and the balls delivered exactly where it needs to be...some pretty tight windows he's throwin those balls into...not a whole lot of separation on the outside...but thats the best corner i've seen in quite a while he's doin it against also

You're damn right that QB's timing, anticipation, and ball placement is spot on. If you check my overrated/underrated thread I made circa this time last year prior to the start of the season, Jerod Johnson was at the top of my overrated list of quarterbacks. (Meanwhile the talking heads had him as a 1st round pick)

Once Mike Sherman finally benched Johnson halfway through the season and inserted Ryan Tannehill at quarterback, aTm went on a tear winning 6 of their last 7 games.... including wins over Oklahoma, Nebraska, Texas Tech, Baylor, and Texas.

Tannehill wasn't sitting on the bench pouting in the meantime though... he was busy playing wide receiver, and producing. That's how good of an athlete he is.

He was one of the top dual threat quarterbacks coming out of high school. He has an incredibly strong arm, and uncanny accuracy. Plus, he's a winner. He has a certain set of intangibles that make him a legitimate NFL quarterback prospect in my opinion. Ryan Tannehill could win the Heisman Trophy this year... it's possible.

As for Jeff Fuller, the seperation he was getting against Peterson was just fine.... and he did it with his route running... Which to me, was the most impressive thing about their epic one-on-one battle that day in the Cotton Bowl.

wow...that kids explosive...he's a yard off the ball at the snap on many of those rushes against the maryland tackle and still beating him around the edge like he's standing still...i'm impressed...technique looks raw but there's some high end tools there...that get off of the ball is pretty damn jaw dropping...looks like his change of direction is pretty good also...motor looks good...i'm betting he measures in at the combine or senior bowl at 6 ft 1 and some change that doesn't look like 6 ft 3 to me...i look forward to seeing him this season no doubt

worst case looks like he'd make a heck of a situational pass rusher

Yeah I'll go 6'2" and change... His first few steps are so smooth, almost like he's gliding above the turf. Very reminiscent of Jerry Hughes and how smooth his initial burst and first few steps were...

is catching the screen pass underneath and probably the flare in the flat pretty much the extent of what he offers as a receiver??? looks like a 2 down guy to me in the pros

Well, Boise St.'s offense isn't really designed to get the ball to the running back in the passing game. Martin did catch 28 passes last year though, which is the most any running back has caught since Chris Peterson has been the head coach..

Back
Top Bottom