Slimm's 2013 prospects (underclassman) | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2013 prospects (underclassman)

Justin Hunter / WR / Tennessee

Height: 6'4"
Weight: 200

I've been a big proponent of this kid since he exploded onto the scene in the SEC as a freshman with his big play ability. Caught 16 passes his freshman season, for 415 yards (nearly a 26 yards/catch average) and 7 touchdowns.

Last year as a sophomore caught 16 passes, for 302 yards (nearly a 19 yards/catch average) and 2 touchdowns in his first 2 games. Tore his knee up on his first catch of the game against Florida in the 3rd game and missed the rest of the season.

Incredible athlete. Track star who's track and field records and accomplishments in the 100m, 200m, long jump, high jump, triple jump, etc. are numerous. A 4-star football recruit with 4.4 speed at 6'4", 200 pounds. However, what impresses me the most about Hunter is the way he plays the receiver position for such a young player.

Positives:

+Tremendous vertical threat - might be the best in the country

+Runs difficult routes for a young receiver and makes them look easy - sells his routes to set up DB's

+Very good route runner that sinks his hips and explodes out of breaks - creates separation

+Will use his length and block on the perimeter for screens, reverses, passes out of the backfield to the back

+High points the football in jump ball situations and outmuscle DB's

+Hands catcher that knows how to catch the ball away from his body

+Will go over the middle and make tough catches in traffic - take the hit and make the catch

+Has some run-after-catch-ability

+Tracks the football and adjust to it

+Quality kid with good character - doesn't show any diva qualities

Negatives:

-Slight frame and needs to continue filling out his frame - add some bulk

-Has to show he's back from the knee injury

Hunter has some elements of A.J. Green/Charles Rogers in his game, with better vertical speed. Explosive talent with legitimate upside and showed steady improvement during his career.

vs. Cincinnati:

[video=youtube;T90LUDD4LpQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T90LUDD4LpQ[/video]

To me, I don't even necessarily attribute any of his raw technique or instincts to his heritage or background. He's a sophomore, and he'll have to leave school early even to come out in 2013. He could very well stay until 2014. I don't expect a finished product as a sophomore, certainly.

Have stood next to Mr Werner in the entrance tunnel of the Croyle-Moore hes physically a large fully grown man. I'll bet bucks the usual FSU "mistake" of over listing a players height/weight. I'll bet hes bigger than 6'4" 272.
http://www.seminoles.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/werner_bjoern00.html

If Justin Hunter comes back healthy and shows he can stay that way he's the one receiver I've had it in the back of my mind that could challenge Marquess Wilson for top receiver honors. I like Robert Woods and Keenan Allen, but they're not there. Justin Hunter might be.

---------- Post added at 07:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 PM ----------

Have stood next to Mr Werner in the entrance tunnel of the Croyle-Moore hes physically a large fully grown man. I'll bet bucks the usual FSU "mistake" of over listing a players height/weight. I'll bet hes bigger than 6'4" 272.
http://www.seminoles.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/werner_bjoern00.html

Well 6'4" and 272 lbs is pretty damn big so if he's bigger than that, yikes. I think the listing is probably right (for once).

Continuing on with underclassman that I believe are either underrated or on the verge of breaking out, next up is Matt Elam. Most college football fans who follow recruiting at all know all about this kid coming out of high school.

Matt Elam / S / Florida
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 205

Positives:

+Extremely assignment sound for a young safety, you don't see it enough in college, or the NFL for that matter

+Fabulous athlete that moves like a runningback

+Shows flexibility and burst in his hips to turn and run with receivers in man coverage... is asked to do it more in Muschamp's defense than most safeties

+Makes a lot of plays and gets in the right positions through dedicated film study...another rarity for a young safety

+Versatile and asked to do a variety of different things (blitzing, making plays behind the LOS, man-coverage in the slot, force player on jet sweeps, etc.) all of which he's effective at. Knows Muschamp's defense...

+Great work ethic

+Instincts

Negatives:

-Not what you would consider a ballhawk.. doesn't make plays many plays on the ball in the air. Has some trouble turning and locating the football, and drops a lot of potential interceptions

Good kid with a great work ethic, nice instincts, self starter with leadership skills, and willing to do all the things it takes to be a standout defender in the SEC, and eventually a solid pro. Looks like he could play either safety position, and an ideal fit for the current NFL where the line between the two traditional safety positions has become blurred in a passing league. This is a kid that I believe is on the verge of becoming an elite player in the SEC, and ready to put it all on display as a Junior in 2012.

I was just talking with some people about Elam the other day on Twitter. He's a guy whose lack of discipline, particularly with respect to hand use, will probably turn some ratings services off...but who will be a good pro nonetheless because he's got great instincts, good athleticism, a vicious ball-oriented mentality, good size and good hips.

To me the whole not a ballhawk thing needs to be explored further and detailed more, especially this coming season, because he's got a very attacking, ball-oriented mentality. What he lacks is just good, disciplined hands. That affects him in multiple ways, not just dropping easy potential interceptions but also the simple fact that he's not a good wrap-up tackler, or is prone to getting a stupid penalty here and there for illegal hand use. He just needs to learn to be more disciplined with his hands. He has a ball hawk hiding in there, because he's got the instincts and mentality for attacking the football, not just the offensive player but the football itself.

I'll stick with Florida here and talk about one of the most dangerous vertical threats and kick returners in the land with Andre Debose. He doesn't get targeted a lot, as most of the passes went to tight end Jordan Reed or Chris Rainey out of the backfield. Florida's quarterback situation was a mess anyway with John Brantley, but it became a disaster after Courtney Upshaw knocked him out for a couple of weeks. The freshmen QB's simply weren't ready to play in the SEC.

Although Debose doesn't get targeted a lot, it's usually a big one he does. He flat out smoked Dre Kirkpatrick and Robert Lester for a 65 yard TD on the first play of the game vs. Alabama, and ran past Morris Claiborne for another 65 yard TD the following week. He's a dangerous kick returner with magnificant open field running skills and the speed to outrun angles.

Andre Debose / WR / Florida
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 190

Positives:

+Elite speed and acceleration

+Decisive runner that sees a crease and hits it quickly on kick returns. Gets north/south and doesn't hesitate

+Will lower his shoulder and finish at the end of plays. One of his best attributes... and you don't coach that in a player

+Dangerous on shallow crosses due to his run-after-catch-ability... not afraid to go make catches in the middle of the field

+Displays strong hands and likes to catch the ball at it's highest point away from his body with his hands... even when he's all alone and not required. Does it fielding kickoffs even, rather than cradle the ball in like a lot of players

+Will eat up a DB's cushion quickly and force him to flip his hips, allowing himself to create some separation on comebacks

+Can defeat press coverage even against the best CB's in the country. Defenses afraid to play him like that too often because they know if they miss the jam... it's over

Negatives:

-Undeveloped as a route runner this early in his career. Streaks, shallow crosses, and comebacks are what he's best at right now

-Doesn't yet have a great feel for how to find the soft spot in a zone and settle, or read a defender's intent

-Only 16 receptions as a sophomore last year, although averaged 27 yards per reception. Needs to become more of a chain mover and prove he's a clutch target to become a complete package

The positives far outweigh the negatives on this kid at this stage in his development. Things he must improve on are typical of young receivers with his skillset. I like the way he plays the game and the attitude... doesn't mind contact or mixing it up in a rugged conference. Explosive player with the right blend of athletic arrogance and certain uncoachable traits as a skill position player that appeals to folks like me.

*Underclassman Runningbacks (Balanced):

1. Marcus Lattimore / South Carolina / 6'0" - 230

2. Michael Dyer / Arkansas Baptist / 5'9" - 210

3. Eddie Lacy / Alabama / 5'11" - 220

4. Spencer Ware / LSU / 5'11" - 223

5. Giovani Bernard / North Carolina / 5'10" - 205

6. Michael Ford / LSU / 5'10" - 215

7. Charles Sims / Houston / 6'0" - 205

8. Silas Redd / USC / 5'10" - 210

9. Waymon James / TCU / 5'8" - 205

Runningbacks (Power/Short-Yardage/Goaline):

1. Le'Veon Bell / Michigan St. / 6'2" - 235

2. Jalston Fowler / Alabama / 6'1" - 245

3. Marcus Coker / Stony Brook / 6'0" - 230

Runningbacks (Speed/Change-of-Pace/Scatbacks):

1. Joseph Randle / Oklahoma St. / 6'1" - 190

2. James White / Wisconsin / 5'10" - 195

3. Fitzgerald Toussaint / Michigan / 5'10" - 195

4. Warren Norman / Vanderbilt / 5'10" - 200

5. Branden Oliver / Buffalo / 5'8" - 200

6. LaDarius Perkins / Mississippi St. / 5'10" - 185

7. Jeff Scott / Ole Miss / 5'7" - 175

Last edited by a moderator:
*Underclassman 4-3 Outside Linebackers:

1. DeDe Lattimore / USF / 6'1" - 235

2. Christian Jones / Florida St. / 6'3" - 240

3. Denicos Allen / Michigan St. / 5'10" - 220

4. Kyle Van Noy / BYU / 6'3" - 235

5. Jordan Hicks / Texas / 6'2" - 235

6. Kevin Pierre-Louis / Boston College / 6'1" - 215

*Underclassman Inside Linebackers:

1. Jonathan Brown / Illinois / 6'1" - 235

2. Chris Borland / Wisconsin / 5'11" - 245

3. C.J. Mosley / Alabama / 6'2" - 235

4. Max Bullough / Michigan St. / 6'3" - 245

5. Tom Wort / Oklahoma / 6'0" - 230

6. Alec Ogletree / Georgia / 6'3" - 235

7. James Morris / Iowa / 6'2" - 230

8. Kevin Minter / LSU / 6'2" - 240

9. Andrew Jackson / Western Kentucky / 6'1" - 255

*Underclassman Tight Ends:

1. Zach Ertz / Stanford / 6'5" - 250

2. Levine Toilolo / Stanford / 6'8" - 260

3. Dion Sims / Michigan St. / 6'5" - 275

4. Jacob Pederson / Wisconsin / 6'4" - 240

5. Jordan Reed / Florida / 6'3" - 240

6. C.J. Fiedorowicz / Iowa / 6'6" - 265

*Underclassman Safeties:

1. Nickoe Whitley / Mississippi St. / 6'1" - 205

2. Tony Jefferson / Oklahoma / 5'10" - 200

3. Matt Elam / Florida / 5'11" - 205

4. Eric Reid / LSU / 6'2" - 208

5. Ahmad Dixon / Baylor / 6'0" - 200

6. Hakeem Smith / Louisville / 6'1" - 190

7. Isaiah Johnson / Georgia Tech / 6'2" - 195

8. Lamarcus Joyner / Florida St. / 5'8" - 205

9. C.J. Barnett / Ohio St. / 6'0" - 190

10. Isaiah Lewis / Michigan St. / 5'10" - 205

*Underclassman Cornerbacks:

1. Justin Gilbert / Oklahoma St. / 6'0" - 205

2. Dee Milliner / Alabama / 6'1" - 190

3. Xavier Rhodes / Florida St. / 6'1" - 210

4. Tharold Simon / LSU / 6'3" - 190

5. David Amerson / N. C. State / 6'2" - 195 (safety/pure zone corner)

6. Carrington Byndom / Texas / 6'0" - 180

7. Ricardo Allen / Purdue / 5'9" - 176

8. Logan Ryan / Rutgers / 6'0" - 190

9. Andre Hal / Vanderbilt / 5'11" - 185

10. Tyrann Mathieu / LSU / 5'8" - 180

11. Nickell Robey / USC / 5'8" - 170

12. Kyle Fuller / Virginia Tech / 6'0" - 187

13. Darqueze Dennard / Michigan St. / 5'11" - 185

14. E.J. Gaines / Missouri / 5'10" - 195

*Underclassman 3-4 (rush) OLB's:

1. Jarvis Jones / Georgia / 6'3" - 241