Slimm's 2017 Quarterbacks (Underclassman) | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2017 Quarterbacks (Underclassman)

It's a definite obstacle for his NFL transition.

But you can hardly blame him in that offensive structure behind that OL for the way he plays. When 75% of your throwing is done off balance and while running, mechanics on the other 25% are going to suffer.

Also I kind of have to look at that and marvel at the thought that in the NFL when you start teaching him more sound fundamentals, you can make him even better than he is. That's a bit staggering to think of, for me anyway. As it is he's been playing with an AC joint sprain in his throwing shoulder for about a month.

According to Greg Gabriel, many scouts have Trubisky graded as a 1st rounder. Like I said in my post on 10/7, he's the best quarterback in the class. I don't think he has any competition

After seeing him live, Watson's field vision and overall mental processing are really bad. He'll be a turnover machine in the pros.

The best QB prospect on the field was #12 Deondre Francois. From a pre-snap perspective he runs the show. Sight adjusts, changes protections, flips runs vs strong side rotation. Pretty impressive considering he's made 8 starts as a redshirt freshman. He grades out highly in every category you look for in a quarterback. Accuracy, mental processing, poise, competitive toughness, extend plays, arm strength, play speed, athletic ability. He's the best NFL QB prospect playing on Saturdays.

I dunno about anyone else, but over the past 4-5 weeks this class is looking worse and worse. I wouldn't trust attaching myself to anyone in this group if I was a coach or GM.

I was starting to like mayfield a bit. But watching him on game day is way more impressive than watching his tape.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dunno about anyone else, but over the past 4-5 weeks this class is looking worse and worse. I wouldn't trust attaching myself to anyone in this group if I was a coach or GM.

I was starting to like mayfield a bit. But watching him on game day is way more impressive than watching his tape.

DeShaun Watson playing the way he's played is a real hit to the class. I mentioned this before but I really do perceive, rightly or wrongly, that Watson's feet have gotten a lot lazier this year. I know the Dolphins scouts aren't impressed with him. And I've talked to people that have spent a lot of time with multiple of these QBs and they say that Watson's personality isn't necessarily all that impressive.

I was never gaga about Kizer in the first place so his inconsistent play and accuracy is not surprising. Give him another year in the oven. He still might be really, really good!

I like Mitch Trubisky but I'm not climbing over other teams to get him. His physical skills are not necessarily impressive. You're buying him on technical merit. The problem with buying a spread quarterback on technical merit is the technical aspect (the strength of his case) is built almost entirely on stuff that doesn't translate particularly well. Add in there his one year of experience, that makes me pretty nervous. I mean, just like how I felt that in the end there wasn't a ton of difference between a Jared Goff and a Brandon Doughty, there isn't a ton of difference between a Mitch Trubisky and a Luke Falk. So why would I pay through the nose for one over the other? It's basically going to come down to little better than a coin flip which of the two is better.

I've said it before, the guy that stands out to me as someone I'd pay for is Patrick Mahomes. That's because in addition to a "check all the boxes" type (personality, character, size, athletic measurables, arm strength, accuracy, background), you can watch the guy play football and be aw-struck by his pure talent to play the game and hurt a defense. It's not a slam dunk. A slam dunk would be if he were also a technical genius in an offense that translates well to the NFL. You can't always get everything you want that way. But at least he's got two out of three nailed down, and when you circle back to the most important aspect which is probably pure inherent accuracy, he really has that at an elite level. People don't realize he's been playing with an AC joint sprain in his throwing shoulder, which has taken away from his accuracy. And he's still this accurate. Before the injury he was accurate at a ludicrous level.

DeShaun Watson playing the way he's played is a real hit to the class. I mentioned this before but I really do perceive, rightly or wrongly, that Watson's feet have gotten a lot lazier this year. I know the Dolphins scouts aren't impressed with him. And I've talked to people that have spent a lot of time with multiple of these QBs and they say that Watson's personality isn't necessarily all that impressive.

I was never gaga about Kizer in the first place so his inconsistent play and accuracy is not surprising. Give him another year in the oven. He still might be really, really good!

I like Mitch Trubisky but I'm not climbing over other teams to get him. His physical skills are not necessarily impressive. You're buying him on technical merit. The problem with buying a spread quarterback on technical merit is the technical aspect (the strength of his case) is built almost entirely on stuff that doesn't translate particularly well. Add in there his one year of experience, that makes me pretty nervous. I mean, just like how I felt that in the end there wasn't a ton of difference between a Jared Goff and a Brandon Doughty, there isn't a ton of difference between a Mitch Trubisky and a Luke Falk. So why would I pay through the nose for one over the other? It's basically going to come down to little better than a coin flip which of the two is better.

I've said it before, the guy that stands out to me as someone I'd pay for is Patrick Mahomes. That's because in addition to a "check all the boxes" type (personality, character, size, athletic measurables, arm strength, accuracy, background), you can watch the guy play football and be aw-struck by his pure talent to play the game and hurt a defense. It's not a slam dunk. A slam dunk would be if he were also a technical genius in an offense that translates well to the NFL. You can't always get everything you want that way. But at least he's got two out of three nailed down, and when you circle back to the most important aspect which is probably pure inherent accuracy, he really has that at an elite level. People don't realize he's been playing with an AC joint sprain in his throwing shoulder, which has taken away from his accuracy. And he's still this accurate. Before the injury he was accurate at a ludicrous level.

Dunno about Watsons feet, it seems a lot of people are looking for specific technical reasons why he doesn't look like the same player. My theory is that he had a magical season last year but this is the real Watson. Looking back, there was probably no way he was going to keep landing those passes with such incredibly small windows consistently, that was a fluke.

As for Kizer, I still like Kizer quite a bit, but his mechanics really get sloppy at times. I lioe trubisky too, but I agree I don't need to chase him, someone will for sure though. And I don't see anything he does as special, nor does he have special natural talent.

The air raid draft is where this draft gets fun. Falk, mayfield, Webb, Mahomes. I watched some tape on them last night, man I feel bad for the scout who has to separate these guys from one another and predict their NFL futures. I ended up liking Falk more than I expected I would., ironically he can of reminds me of tannehill. Watching these guys there def is that feeling of, not being able to separate them from one another.

But all of them do have aspects to their game that really stand out at times, i said this in another thread, I'd be fine drafting one with a late rnd pick, no matter who it is.

I agree that Mahomes stands out as far as pure potential, he can do things with broken plays that are flat out amazong, but he does alot of wild things on the football field where you just wonder WTF he was possibly thinking. He's def a player I will go back and forth on up until draft day.

When it clicks it looks amazing, when it doesn't it looks like he's playing a completely different sport. At this point I'd compare him to Logan Thomas who was drafted in the 4th rnd which I think is where Mahomes should go, but I think he ends up in the 3rd if the interview process goes well.

Mahomes is a 1st round pick. Not sure how to see it otherwise. I'd have to go through significant mental gymnastics to somehow convince myself he's not.

Mahomes sure reminds me of the Purdue version of Drew Brees. So much will depend on the team that drafts him and the offensive style.

Mahomes is a 1st round pick. Not sure how to see it otherwise. I'd have to go through significant mental gymnastics to somehow convince myself he's not.

Vs LSU he def looked like a 1st rnd pick. But than other games not so much.

It wouldn't surprise me if he was the qb that got the most hype by he time draft day comes around.

Watching the NC game and looking at draft twitter. Trubisky getting the #1 pick treatment now.

Watching the NC game and looking at draft twitter. Trubisky getting the #1 pick treatment now.
He's really good and has come up big in big games. I don't know much about his footwork or form or throwing motion but he's a winner.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

He's really good and has come up big in big games. I don't know much about his footwork or form or throwing motion but he's a winner.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I only watched it at the end, he did a good Job feeling the pressure and using his feet to get first downs. And he also barely missed on big play 3rd down, but a NFL level WR probably would of caught it, and than on the last pay of the game delivered a dime which the WR dropped, wasn't his fault though.

I think he's a good qb, instincts are good, he's built well, feels the game well, but arm talent doesn't stand out. I do think he's a starter in the NFL though, but he's not a carry the team with his arm qb. IMO he's kind of in the Dalton/Prescott mold. Somewhere between those 2.

I could see him going #1 though, IMO CLE clearly bombed the season on purpose for Watson. I can't Blame them either, but Watson is clearly IMO not the guy we thought he was. Trubby is going to make CLE have a tough decision ahead of them.

Neither IMO are guys your excited about attaching your career to if your a GM or coach, but I don't see how CLE has a choice.

Watson hushed some of that bull**** about him not being a top overall qb on Saturday.

Was dominant all game throwing the ball. He keeps that up expect another shootout Bama.

Back
Top Bottom