Slimm's November 2013 NFL Draft Position Rankings (Seniors) | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's November 2013 NFL Draft Position Rankings (Seniors)

Defensive Tackle: (DE denotes the player could also draw interest as a 5-technique with teams that employ an odd front, or already play the DE position in an odd front in college)

Tier 1 (Top 25-50 Grade)

Star Lotulelei / Utah

Sylvester Williams / North Carolina

Joe Vellano / Maryland

Kawann Short / Purdue

Margus Hunt / SMU (DE)

Tier 2 (Top 75-125 Grade)

Brandon Williams / Missouri Southern

John Jenkins / Georgia

Jake McDonough / Iowa St. (DE)

Jesse Williams / Alabama

Jordan Hill / Penn St.

Kapron Lewis-Moore / Notre Dame (DE)

A.J. Francis / Maryland (DE)

Chris Jones / Bowling Green

Tier 3 (Top 150-200 Grade)

Damion Square / Alabama (DE)

Izaan Cross / Georgia Tech (DE)

Abry Jones / Georgia (DE)

Scott Vallone / Rutgers

Baker Steinkuhler / Nebraska (DE)

Quinton Dial / Alabama (DE)

Larry Black / Indiana

Cory Grissom / South Florida

Tier 4 (Top 225-250 Grade)

Jamarkus McFarland / Oklahoma

Anthony Rashad-White / Michigan St.

Josh Mauro / Stanford (DE)

Everette Dawkins / Florida St.

Josh Boyd / Mississippi St.

*Note*

Joe Vellano also plays DE in an odd front for Maryland, but it won't be his best position in the NFL. He's a better fit for a pure 3-technique, as he doesn't have the ideal length that you're looking for in a 5-tech.

Jake McDonough is the one of the most underrated defensive players in the country at nose tackle for Iowa St. All he does is soak up double-teams at the point of attack and stand his ground. However, I think his build at 6'5", 280 pounds is ideal for the 5-technique if he tests well enough athletically. He's already adept at 2-gapping.

Purdue will often use Kawann Short lined up at DE although he doesn't have the same impact there. He's better disrupting the B-gap attacking the outside shoulder of the guard as a traditional 3-technique.

Last edited by a moderator:
I end up with a UDFA grade on several players due to significant concerns in the following areas: Injury history/durability, character/off field concerns, lack of experience/production, lack of a true position, lack of ideal size, or some combination of each.

However, a lot of players don't even earn a UDFA grade. The following prospects are the type I would view as a priority in free agency if their name isn't called by the time 7 rounds are complete. Although I'm certain some of these kids will be drafted.

Quarterback:

Collin Klein / Kansas St.

Matt McGloin / Penn St.

Ryan Aplin / Arkansas St.

Ryan Griffin / Tulane

Alex Carder / Western Michigan

Jordan Rodgers / Vanderbilt

Runningback:

Isi Sofele / California (Scat/Change-of-Pace)

Cameron Marshall / Arizona St. (Balanced)

Ronnie Wingo / Arkansas (Balanced)

Matthew Tucker / TCU (Balanced)

Tight End:

Marcus Green / Mississippi St. (H-back)

Brandon Ford / Clemson

Ben Cotton / Nebraska

Hubie Graham / Pittsburgh

Colter Phillips / Virginia

Wide Receiver:

J.D. Woods / West Virginia

Skye Dawson / TCU (Slot/Return/Versatility)

Mike Smith / UCONN

Nick Williams / UCONN (Slot/Return/Versatility)

Quincy McDuffie / UCF (Slot/Return/Versatility)

Marlon Brown / Georgia

Keenan Davis / Iowa

Kenbrell Thompkins / Cincinnati

Brent Leonard / UL-Monroe

Offensive Line:

Dalton Freeman / Clemson (Center)

Ryan Turnley / Pittsburgh (Center)

Emmett Clearly / Boston College (Plays left tackle, looks like a guard to me)

David Quessenberry / San Jose St. (Plays left tackle, looks like a guard to me)

James Ferentz / Iowa (Center)

Defensive End / OLB:

Eric Martin / Nebraska

Toben Opurum / Kansas

Mallaciah Goodman / Clemson

Brad Madison / Missouri

Cornelius Washington / Georgia

Defensive Tackle:

Kaleb Ramsey / Boston College

T.J. Barnes / Georgia Tech

Cody Larsen / Southern Utah

Linebacker:

Kiki Alonso / Oregon

Will Ebner / Missouri

Cornerback:

Marc Anthony / California

Travis Carrie / Ohio

Akeem Auguste / South Carolina

Michael Carter / Minnesota

Sanders Commings / Georgia

Branden Smith / Georgia

Safety:

Terence Garvin / West Virginia

Drew Frey / Cincinnati

John Boyett / Oregon

D.J. Swearinger / South Carolina

Isaiah Johnson / Georgia Tech

B.J. Scott / South Alabama

Duron Harmon / Rutgers

Rontez Miles / California (PA)

Jarred Holley / Pittsburgh

Ray Ray Armstrong / Faulkner

*Note*

Most people probably know that Vanderbilt quarterback Jordan Rodgers is the younger brother of Aaron Rodgers. He's a very mobile quarterback who's on his way to leading Vanderbilt to back-to-back bowl games for the first time. Lack of size and ideal production hurts him, along with being benched at times in favor of Austyn Carta-Samuels. Worth a shot as a UDFA to compete as a 3rd quarterback.

Terence Garvin is a big safety who I'm convinced is the only player on West Virginia's defense that has any idea what he's doing.

John Boyett would earn a draftable grade had his season not ended due to injury. This kid can play, but lack of ideal size and the injury hurts him. He still might be drafted.

B.J. Scott is a safety for South Alabama who started his career at Alabama before transferring. He was actually slated to start for Alabama last year at the cornerback spot opposite Dre Kirkpatrick.... he had beaten out Demarcus Milliner and Dequan Menzie for the job earlier that spring

Quincy McDuffie is an excellent kick returner for UCF, and I think he has a shot to earn a roster spot. Might be drafted.

Ray Ray Armstrong transferred to Faulkner here in south Alabama after he was run out of Miami... and was ruled ineligible. Hasn't played a down of football for Faulkner this year, but that's irrelevant either way. I'd bring him in as a UDFA if he doesn't hear his name called. I think he's the best prospect listed here in terms of upside.

Rontez Miles transferred to California (PA) after originally being at Kent St. A lot of SEC teams recruited Miles hard. Talented prospect with the ability to play at the next level.

David Quessenberry starts at left tackle for San Jose St., but I think he's a little too heavy legged and too much of a waist bender to play that position anywhere other than the WAC. Looks like he may be able to function as a backup caliber along the interior of an NFL offensive line and add some depth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Runningback: (Balanced)

Tier 1 (Top 50-100 Grade)

Stepfan Taylor / Stanford

Cierre Wood / Notre Dame

Zac Stacy / Vanderbilt

Latavius Murray / UCF

Montee Ball / Wisconsin

Christine Michael / Texas A&M

Tier 2 (Top 125-175 Grade)

Dennis Johnson / Arkansas

Miguel Maysonet / Stony Brook

Mike Gillislee / Florida

Tier 3 (Top 200-250 Grade)

Mike James / Miami

Benny Cunningham / Middle Tennessee St.

Rex Burkhead / Nebraska

Marcus Curry / Texas St.

*Note*

I talked all season last year about how underrated of a back the Sun-Belt's Alfred Morris was coming out of Florida Atlantic, and even pointed straight to him as one of the best picks the Redskins made the entire draft in the thread where I handed out grades for all 32 teams. This year, I think Benny Cunningham of Middle Tennessee St. is the stud Sun-Belt runningback who flies under the radar. Underutilized back who finally started getting the carries he deserves this year, and became the focal point of the offense until his season ended due to injury. Had a 217 yard, 5 TD performance against Georgia Tech, and another 230 yard, 2 TD performance against FIU in a 3 game stretch before he got hurt. Runs with tremendous pad level and balance....gets yards after contact. Strong, compact runner with a low center of gravity and ideal build for the position at 5'10", 212 pounds. Reminds me a little bit of a poor man's Deangelo Williams.

Slimm, never noticed this post of yours before on Cunningham, but I was looking at Anthony Amos for MTSU (who I like a lot) and kept seeing this ferocious ball of attitude and efficiency called Cunningham. Wow is all I can say.

Seems he blew out his knee though and is out for the season. Good news is it seems it's only his patella tendon and the ligaments are fine. He runs with such abandon for his own personal safety, I can't say I'm surprised he picked up a serious injury, but he is a very impressive looking player. He's got that thickset lower half and low center of gravity that makes him so difficult to stop. The Williams comparison is very apt.

As a smaller school guy and now out injured, he could be a total steal in the draft or as a UDFA.

Great Job Slim!! Im a big fan of the work you and the rest of the guys here do.I only wish I could put forth a 1/4 of the time you guys do.

Two things have really suprised me.

One is that I had no idea Ray Ray Transferred/Ran out of The U and Two I am really shocked Alonzo is not even on the LB Tier list,What gives with Kiki as to why hes not Tiered?

I would love to see Ray Ray or BJ Scottt be signed by Miami.

Ted, do you have an opinion on Marquess Wilson WR WSU? How about Brandon Kaufman WR EWU?

Thanks!

RW

Ted, do you have an opinion on Marquess Wilson WR WSU? How about Brandon Kaufman WR EWU?

Thanks!

RW

Wilson rates right up there in the top 3 or 4 of underclassman WR's in terms of talent in my opinion, but I have serious questions regarding his attitude, coachability, and mental toughness. Supreme vertical threat with terrific body control and coordination. I like that he'll go up and get the football in 50/50 situations. Concentration lapses and not entirely comfortable working the middle of the field or running even numbers. Without talking to him, I wouldn't let him last much longer than 50 picks.

Kaufman reminds me of a less physically developed Joe Jurevicius coming out of Penn St. Could develope into matchup problem for smaller DB's if he fills out his frame a little more without losing what speed he does have. I don't understand why he declared early unless he has a family he needs to provide for... 5th/6th round is all I can do.

Kaufman looks like he should be beefing up and playing tight end. He looks like Scheffler to me.

Back
Top Bottom