So Gase, Grier and Tannenbaum will all be back | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

So Gase, Grier and Tannenbaum will all be back

I posted this in another thread, but there's no way Grier was getting fired based on the team's last two drafts / UDFA pickups. No way.

Here are some of the key players we have drafted or picked up as UDFAs since Grier took over: Howard, Tunsil, Drake, Davis, Tankersley, Harris, Godchaux, and Taylor. These are all players who either became immediate starters (and are playing at least solid ball) or guys who are pushing for playing time because they're too good to be left on the bench.

Now look at some of the other guys we've picked up: Jakeem Grant, Raekwon McMillan, Eric Smith, and how about Cameron Malveaux? He's looked pretty good in limited action. There's meat on the bone here, boys.

There's absolutely no way Grier is getting fired when he can point to all of the 1st and 2nd year players on this team who have already pushed their way into the starting lineup or are threatening to do it.

I’m all in on Grier. But Tannenbaum is another story. Gase needs to be the 2016 Gase for him to survive next year. No more bringing in your guys, like Cutler, Thomas and Bushrod. No more washed up vets. And please no more Lawrence Timmons fully guaranteed contracts, yes Tannenbaum, I’m looking at you.

Looking at the contribution from draft picks the past two years it's hard to say that Tannebaum and Grier should be fired. Although, I do think the biggest mistake in the offseason was dumpster diving for offensive linemen. That was the biggest hole on the team and basically killed the season. The front office has to do a better job in free agency. I also think the team made a mistake signing Branch and Alonso.

But look at the draft picks the past two years:

* Tunsil --- has been a disappointment mostly, but the talent is there to be a good player.
* Howard --- really turned it on this season. Had a dominating game against NE.
* Drake --- looks really dynamic. I think he needs to be paired with a power back.
* Carroo -- looks like a bust.
* Grant -- had some nice moments this year with a few big plays.
* Duarte -- mostly been on the practice squad.
* Harris -- had a lot of qb pressures. Jury is still out.
* McMillan -- lost season due to injury.
* Tankersley --- had some nice moments. Looks like a starter.
* Asiata --- basically had a redshirt season.
* Godchaux -- played really well next to Suh
* Taylor -- was a contibutor

I don't know how this two-year draft rates against some other teams, but it's been pretty good.

Why wouldn't they? We lost RT17, after that they all got a hall pass.

Burke should be fired. Preferably once the game went final today.

Why do you believe that Burke should be fired? Do you believe the defense played worse than the previous season? Are there specifics about his performance you can reference?

Why do you believe that Burke should be fired? Do you believe the defense played worse than the previous season? Are there specifics about his performance you can reference?
Too many missed assignments. It was like the defense never knew where they were supposed to be. Takeaways considerably down from last year. Look at the coaching.

Gase will be here at least through 2019 IMO. Even if he misses the playoffs next season, I think Ross gives him another year. If he craps the bed in 2019 he'd get the hook.

We pick number 11. Keep the faith brothers. We will draft a game changer with these 3.
#waytoooptimistic

We do not have to draft a game changer to improve. We need to have a good draft where 3 to 4 players contribute and one pl or two players make an impact. That is a good draft. If we get a game changer, then it is a very good draft.

Looking at the contribution from draft picks the past two years it's hard to say that Tannebaum and Grier should be fired. Although, I do think the biggest mistake in the offseason was dumpster diving for offensive linemen. That was the biggest hole on the team and basically killed the season. The front office has to do a better job in free agency. I also think the team made a mistake signing Branch and Alonso.

* Tunsil --- has been a disappointment mostly, but the talent is there to be a good player.
* Drake --- looks really dynamic. I think he needs to be paired with a power back.

I don't know how this two-year draft rates against some other teams, but it's been pretty good.

Grier is the talent evaluator, Tannenbaum is in charge of trades (getting the right value, etc.), free agents and contract. In that regard, Grier has done his job competently, but Tannenbaum has been a mess. He's has overspent on trades, contracts, signed bust FAs, etc. every year he has been here. The Carroo trade was the most egregious...

Gase lost me this year. The team stinks in every phase of the game. Poor coaching in every phase of the game. We have taken a step back. We had so much promise and nothing has panned out. Our one potential superstar is an ignorant spoiled brat. This is harsh life. I fire people who under perform in a high stakes billion dollar company. Churn the roster and the franchise until you get it right. Let the newbie coaches go cut their teeth elsewhere once they show they have a steep learning curve. It’s true at every level from the coach on down to the kicker’s holder, you either have it or you don’t. I cut the don’ts asap. It’s a win now kind of business.

The problem is that our fan base thought we were better than we were. The analyst did not suffer from that opinion. Coach Gase did a great job in his first season to get this team to the playoffs. It was going to take a very good year with RT to repeat. After RT was lost, it would have taken supreme coaching to repeat. I do believe he had a below average year. If he has lost you after one great year and one below average year where we go 6-10 without our starting QB, the you are fickle.

Looks pretty damn average to me. I still have hopes for Tunsil but I don't see any future pro bowlers on that list, we' ll see how McMillan pans out, I have high hopes for him too.

Thought they were all solid at their jobs...Keep grinding.

Looks pretty damn average to me. I still have hopes for Tunsil but I don't see any future pro bowlers on that list, we' ll see how McMillan pans out, I have high hopes for him too.

Completely disagree...the 2016 draft looks great with performance at premiere positions. I won't comment on pro bowl status as it's a joke...more popularity contest than anything.

• Tunsil at LT (critical position): he's been good, just not great and folks expected HoF day 1
  • Howard at CB (premiere position) - looks very solid with flashes of greatness; If he continues to grow, he'll be a stalwart for us for a while
  • Drake at RB - looks like a game changer with the ball in his hands; very impressed with the extras he brings - pass blocking is excellent...so underrated for RBs by many fans
  • Grant at WR/Return Spec. - I'll start eating crow if he continues to evolve...thought his hands were too bad to make it in the NFL. Appears to have worked through that issue. Well beyond expectations of a 6th
  • Lucas - Doubt he'll see the field much other than ST, but I see him making plays on ST. If he can be a solid contributor on ST and (deep) depth at S/CB, that's excellent for a 6th.
It's a shame about the Carroo pick as we gave up extra to get him. Maybe the light turns on for him, but even if he's not on the roster next year the guys above make it a very strong draft if they continue their play and progression.

2017...waaaay to early to judge, but...
  • Harris flashed enough that I think he has potential to be at least a good pass rusher. His run D was way too hit or miss. Needs to improve but looks like he has the tools and, from reports, the work ethic to do so.
  • Big hopes for McMillian at a HUGE position of need.
  • Tankersly showed enough raw skills as a rook that I think he'll be a nice asset going forward...especially as the assignments become second nature.
  • Godchaux looks like he is a starter caliber at DT...or at a minimum excellent rotation player. Great production and outlook for a 5th
  • Taylor looks like good rotation at DT...again, awesome for a 6th
It would be great if Asiata contributes next year as we need a long upgrade at G.

I'd love another draft like the last two...especially if we could hit at DE, LB, TE and FS (I hate the interchangeable safety philosophy and want a real ballhawking FS with great range and cover skills!)

Back
Top Bottom