so you still think ryan tannehills not the top target in the draft... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

so you still think ryan tannehills not the top target in the draft...

i've always said - drafting a guy in the first round does not necessarily make him a first round talent. but, with the new contracts for first rounders and the fact that we have a decent starter (or 2) already on the roster so he can sit for a while, it may not be a bad move. the problem is for Ireland. if he pulls the trigger on this kid, and he doesnt pan out, he'll be gone in about 2 years. if he doesnt see it with this kid, then its best to pass. i am not sold on tannehill, and i think that once again teh starved dolphin fan base is calling for a first rounder just for the sake of a first rounder - even if he may not be worth that. our pick may be better spent on a pass rusher, but we will soon find out.

Honestly, I found the little chart at the bottom of the Tannehill article more interesting than the article itself. If Manning is a "franchise" qb, what doesnt make Moore potentially the same if given the reps and confidence in the system?

It was also thought that we'de take Mallet last year and Quinn a few years back. The Fins are interested, yes that's obvious, but if we you havent noticed yet, this new regime isn't going to over pay for something that they don't think is worth it.

Not saying your wrong, just saying it may not be as obvious as you think or as obvious they may want you to think.

not to my knowledge it wasn't...

So are the same people against drafting Tannehill the same people that say that we need to take risks to get a franchise QB and that we wont' get anywhere by playing it safe ? Cause I smell some hypocrisy..

Also in that same Peter King article, I was shocked by this Eli vs. Moore chart for the last 9 weeks of the season. Maybe someone else already knew this.

There's different levels of risk.

The problem with Miami is they tend to avoid low risk QB's at spots in the draft where they provide excellent value (Matt Ryan #1 overall, Ryan Mallett in the 3rd round, Drew Brees in the 2nd round, T.J. Yates in the late rounds, etc.) and take silly gambles when they shouldn't (Pat White at #44 overall, John Beck in the 2nd round, etc.)

In my opinion drafting Ryan Tannehill in the top 10 is closer to the latter than the former, and I like Tannehill.

The only good decision that I felt like Miami made at the time they made it, and that clearly went against the pressure of what the fanbase and media were trying to push, is when they passed up Brady Quinn at #9. I knew that one was right.

The problem was instead of taking the best defensive player in the draft, they took a 140 pound kick returner who didn't like contact.

So beating Oklahoma, Nebraska and Texas in his junior year doesn't count? Beating Baylor this year 55-28...that doesn't count either. The fact that his 6 losses this year were by a combined 33 points with the worst being 41-25 loss to Oklahoma (meaning the other 5 losses were a combined 17 points) means nothing.

It would seem to me that if you lose 30-29 to Oklahoma State, 42-38 to Arkansas, 38-31 to Missouri, 53-50 to Kansas State and 27-25 to Texas the problems aren't entirely on the offense or the QB...you've got some defensive issues. 34.6 ppg in those 5 losses by the offense....38 ppg given up by the defense. Were there things he could have done better? Sure and I believe a lot of those things can be coached into him and will improve with experience. I like him better than I like RGIII...a lot better.

TAM was winning at half with 5 of the losses this year. Tannehill in the 2nd half against OKST and OK **** the bed, its that simple. How you can sit here and look past the fact he looked terrible in some of those losses is beyond me.

While you and others want to put forth what he did his JR year, you look past his SR campaign. He took a step backwards, eyeing down his WR's in close games. Throwing 2nd half INTS that put his DEF in a bind, even though they had leads going into half for 5 of those games he lost.

The guru's believe MIA needs a QB. This draft class is thin and need another 'story' to pimp. And what gives them all this, Tannehill and super reach into the TOP10. This will be Philbins and your Ginn. Philbin will lose his job and you will apart of the cause to get him fired.

that chart is worthless...eli manning was more stone cold assassin in the clutch than any qb in the league at the end of the 2011 season and postseason...clutch and matt moore don't belong in the same zip code

a clutch fumble or bad sack...matt moore's your guy

They need to stay at 8 because I am not convinced Cleveland will draft him at 4. If they do, Weeden, who I think is more pro ready, should be the fall back in the second round.

Why in the world did our defense have to go and get in shape midway last season and win us some games? This #8 pick really sucks. Especially this year when there is only a handful of elite talents.

Why in the world did our defense have to go and get in shape midway last season and win us some games? This #8 pick really sucks. Especially this year when there is only a handful of elite talents.

you got that right...

Forget about a WR or RB in the draft, Who would we be replacing with Richardson? Reggie Bush? I seriously doubt that.

That was the same logic that everyone had for not pushing Patrick Willis on Miami's front office prior to the 2007 draft.

"Who would we be replacing with Willis? Zach Thomas? Channing Crowder? I seriously doubt that".

You don't pass up a truly elite talent of this caliber because of risky propositions such as relying on Reggie Bush to be your featured back, slow 2nd round rookies who can't stay healthy and have ball security issues, old-slow-concussed linebackers who are at the end of the line, or average run-of-the-mill young players you took in the 3rd round.

When you're picking in the 8-12 range, you better take elite talent when it falls to you. That's your only chance of getting it. Acquiring the best TALENT you can get your hands on is the entire principle behind the draft. It's unfathomable that people still haven't figured this out.

Dave Wannstedt and Rick Spielman drafted for 'need' as good as anybody.

not to my knowledge it wasn't...

it wasn't an "Obviose" pick, but A LOT of people speculated that Mallet might be our pick... If you say other wise then you didn't watch the draft or really look at many articles/mock drafts.

After he slipped past the first round and most of the second, when we saw we traded up in the 2nd I'm sure a lot of us (Including the draft commintaries) thought it was for sure it was for Mallet. It was D. Thomas.

unless cleveland takes tannehill at #4 there's no way t rich gets to #8...and even if they did take tanny at #4 i bet money if t rich got to #7 jax would find a very willing trade up partner...

the kid was a 1st round prospect and carried a late 1st round grade throughout much of the college season. The only reason he may have dipped into rd 2 would be because the teams late in rd 1 have their QB spot secure. His stock has risen from late 1 to early 1st. If miami's FO want him and think in a year he can lead this franchise, they will pull the trigger .

There's 5 elite talents in this draft at their positions... Luck, Richardson, DeCastro, Claiborne, and Kuechly.

One or more of those are going to be on the board when Miami picks at #8. They'd be wise to take him.

Otherwise, trade down into the teens or early 20's and take Coby Fleener or Mark Barron. They're not elite prospects in the same vein as the other 5, but the gap between them and the next best player at their position is tremendous. Both fill a critical need for Miami going forward.

it wasn't an "Obviose" pick, but A LOT of people speculated that Mallet might be our pick... If you say other wise then you didn't watch the draft or really look at many articles/mock drafts.

After he slipped past the first round and most of the second, when we saw we traded up in the 2nd I'm sure a lot of us (Including the draft commintaries) thought it was for sure it was for Mallet. It was D. Thomas.

i'll agree that when we traded up i and many thought it was for mallett but i don't agree with the first part...as the draft approached all we kept hearing about was how mallett had skeletons in his closet which were hurting his stock...and that sure appears to have been the case cause he was a 1st round physical talent picked in the middle of round 3...

Back
Top Bottom