so you still think ryan tannehills not the top target in the draft... | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

so you still think ryan tannehills not the top target in the draft...

That was the same logic that everyone had for not pushing Patrick Willis on Miami's front office prior to the 2007 draft.

"Who would we be replacing with Willis? Zach Thomas? Channing Crowder? I seriously doubt that".

You don't pass up a truly elite talent of this caliber because of risky propositions such as relying on Reggie Bush to be your featured back, slow 2nd round rookies who can't stay healthy and have ball security issues, old-slow-concussed linebackers who are at the end of the line, or average run-of-the-mill young players you took in the 3rd round.

When you're picking in the 8-12 range, you better take elite talent when it falls to you. That's your only chance of getting it. Acquiring the best TALENT you can get your hands on is the entire principle behind the draft. It's unfathomable that people still haven't figured this out.

Dave Wannstedt and Rick Spielman drafted for 'need' as good as anybody.

100% correct. And thats what really irked me about the Willis situation and the excuse of already having Zach. You have to look at the big picture. I asked back than if people saw Zach as our LB two years from now, you know when Willis would be in his early twenties. You look at this pick as someone whos going to be here the next decade and not to plug a hole. Seattle didnt pass on Shaun Alexander because they already had Rickey Waters, JJ didnt pass on Pat Surtain because he already had T-Buck and looking at another sport Pat Riley didnt pass on Dwayne Wade because he already had Eddie Jones. You dont pass on elite talent because you have someone there already, especially someone who you dont see being there after the next couple of years

If by some miracle Claiborne makes it too 8, you dont pass on him because you have Sean Smith. Im not into taking rbs early unless they are AP type talent but if our FO deems that Richardson is than you dont pass on him simply because of Reggie Bush. This is a long term commitment type pick and should be viewed as such

Last edited by a moderator:
I am all for long term committment picks and that includes QB too. Tannehill is being evaluated as a potential elite QB.

I will take any of the others mentioned too from the top six players. Otherwise I would trade down and try to find another elite player while picking up another 2nd rounder. Like Fleener is elite.

I dont consider Kuechly elite top 10 pick. Pass rusher is more important since we dont have enough.

I think he will be gone. If the browns don't take him, someone will trade up with the jags or rams. My bet will be Philly or the cards.

This is a great fear of mine. IF Sherman convinces Philbin and Ireland that Tannehill is THE guy, I say trade up. For once, let's get our guy, not sit by and watch him go elsewhere to a team with balls to move up.
Look what Atalnta gave up to get Julio Jones. He will produce for years.

If he is considered a franchise QB he is damn well is worth a top 10 pick.

I think he will be gone. If the browns don't take him, someone will trade up with the jags or rams. My bet will be Philly or the cards.
Won't be the Rams unless Blackmon is gone.

i dont know why but i just have a bad feeling about this draft. It just seems like miami is going the safe route again either either trading down, taking tannenhill with a top 10 pick when the guy is a 2nd round prospect at best or taking another offelinse lineman. I just dont see us going for that homerun pick like richardson, claiborne, blackmon. Thats just not in irelands nature. I just hope if we trade down this time we get more picks out of it, when we traded down with san diego 2 years ago i dont think we got our moneys worth at all. Maybe u can argue san diego didnt get too much out of it cause there RB has done too good in the nfl yet but that kid could have turned out to be a stud and could still be one if they commited to him more. I guess we just have to hope for the best. I would be really excited going into a season with richardson/bush combo, or vontae/claiborne combo. We can only dream ireland goes for a homerun and not the safe route this time.

i dont know why but i just have a bad feeling about this draft. It just seems like miami is going the safe route again either either trading down, taking tannenhill with a top 10 pick when the guy is a 2nd round prospect at best or taking another offelinse lineman. I just dont see us going for that homerun pick like richardson, claiborne, blackmon. Thats just not in irelands nature. I just hope if we trade down this time we get more picks out of it, when we traded down with san diego 2 years ago i dont think we got our moneys worth at all. Maybe u can argue san diego didnt get too much out of it cause there RB has done too good in the nfl yet but that kid could have turned out to be a stud and could still be one if they commited to him more. I guess we just have to hope for the best. I would be really excited going into a season with richardson/bush combo, or vontae/claiborne combo. We can only dream ireland goes for a homerun and not the safe route this time.

I can't believe you would rather take Trent Richardson than Tannehill just because he's a "second round talent".... and "at best"? Ehhh . I've read he's been a late 1st round prospect since the beginning of offseason. I'm scared to take a reach pick a much as anyone but Sherman knows the kid and if you got any sort of faith in him as a franchise QB, you have to take it.

I'd rather get an O-line pick first round than Trent effin Richardson. Not to bash him but it would honestly be ignoring our biggest needs and IMO far from a homerun pick. BTW how is taking a "second round prospect" at pick 10 a safe route?

Unfortunately his draft stock has risen dramatically. If they want him they'll have to pull the trigger at #8.

What's "risen dramatically" is his hype. Do you really think that NFL GMs are influenced by reports from the media that Team X is trying to move up to get Player A or that Team Y is "very interested" in Player B? None of these reports come from the teams themselves or from anybody even remotely associated with any of the teams. They always come from "sources", probably any number of which are simply shills paid by player agents to inflate their client's publicity.

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 PM ----------

I can't believe you would rather take Trent Richardson than Tannehill just because he's a "second round talent".... and "at best"? Ehhh . I've read he's been a late 1st round prospect since the beginning of offseason. I'm scared to take a reach pick a much as anyone but Sherman knows the kid and if you got any sort of faith in him as a franchise QB, you have to take it.

I'd rather get an O-line pick first round than Trent effin Richardson. Not to bash him but it would honestly be ignoring our biggest needs and IMO far from a homerun pick. BTW how is taking a "second round prospect" at pick 10 a safe route?

Tannehill has bust written all over him. He wasn't good enough to even be the backup QB at Texas A&M for his first two years. He's played all of 2 years at QB and only played in 19 games. He's definitely totally unready to be an NFL starter any time soon.

Of course, I'd rather like the Fins to waste the #8 pick on Tannehill and leave a much better prospect available for the Bills at #10. That would be perfect, especially if Cleveland takes Richardson at #4. :lol2:

i'll agree that when we traded up i and many thought it was for mallett but i don't agree with the first part...as the draft approached all we kept hearing about was how mallett had skeletons in his closet which were hurting his stock...and that sure appears to have been the case cause he was a 1st round physical talent picked in the middle of round 3...

I won't dispute the fact Mallets off the field issues were a huge concern but a lot still thought he may be the pick. I remember it being split closely between Pouncey and Mallet as the pick if they were both there. With the majority slightly leaning towards Pouncey with Mallet a close second...

again, the topic was "were the Dolphins considering taking Mallet with the 1st pick" much like they were with Quinn (although this was a more forgone conclusion if he droped to 9 then it was with Mallet) and much like they are with Tannehill...

I won't dispute the fact Mallets off the field issues were a huge concern but a lot still thought he may be the pick. I remember it being split closely between Pouncey and Mallet as the pick if they were both there. With the majority slightly leaning towards Pouncey with Mallet a close second...

again, the topic was "were the Dolphins considering taking Mallet with the 1st pick" much like they were with Quinn (although this was a more forgone conclusion if he droped to 9 then it was with Mallet) and much like they are with Tannehill...

frankly i think you're making that mallet was the guy stuff on here up...but i could care less what the consensus on this main forums opinion of who the pick would be was...i did my homework just like i always do and felt mallet was not only not in play with the top pick but not in play in round 1...just like i think brandon weeden is not in play in round 1 this year...but for different reasons obviously

there was too much smoke not for there to be fire with mallet last year...that kids not sitting there in the 3rd round unless some unsavory things were found to be accurate during his evaluation...

i don't see how anyone can put this offseason moves together and shermans own words during the season about tannehill being a 10 year starting qb and the fact that ireland LOVES measurables with top picks and not come away with tannehill is the true target with the top pick...i just don't...and adding david garrard to be a veteran mentor etc sealed it for me...

let me put it this way, talents like richardson arent in every draft, in the last 2 drafts, the best running back taken you could probably say it was mark ingram and richardson is miles better than ingram and ingram is extremely good just hasnt had too much touches in new orleans yet but when he gets his chance he will win that job easily. Trent richardson is a rare talent my friend, hes got the potential to be our adrian peterson in the nfl. Its a stud u just cannot pass. A qb like tannenhill u always always see a few in every draft, its not a big miss if we dont get him. I think matt flynn was the biggest miss so far this offseason for the dolphins, really dissappoting.

personally i don't think t rich has elite vision...this isn't ap we're talking about here...but he's probably a once every 5 year back...i can agree with that

personally i don't think t rich has elite vision...this isn't ap we're talking about here...but he's probably a once every 5 year back...i can agree with that

when ap came to the nfl no one knew he would be that good but everyone knew he had the potential to be that good, thats where i see richardson is going into this draft. If the dolphins dont get him i hope tampa does, keep him in south florida. He is going to light it up in the nfl if he has a good o-line to block for him. Every 5 year back i most def agree with that, cant remember the last top 10 pick that was a running back, its been awhile i believe since a running back got taken top 5 or 10.

when ap came to the nfl no one knew he would be that good but everyone knew he had the potential to be that good, thats where i see richardson is going into this draft. If the dolphins dont get him i hope tampa does, keep him in south florida. He is going to light it up in the nfl if he has a good o-line to block for him. Every 5 year back i most def agree with that, cant remember the last top 10 pick that was a running back, its been awhile i believe since a running back got taken top 5 or 10.

i disagree with no one thought ap would be that good...that dude was a monster at oklahoma the concerns for him was his upright running style and that garbage collar bone that people thought could have him miss his rookie season...no doubt in my mind at least that ap was a better prospect than t rich but t rich is probably the best size speed power back to come along since then...dudes a monster

I am all for long term committment picks and that includes QB too. Tannehill is being evaluated as a potential elite QB.I will take any of the others mentioned too from the top six players. Otherwise I would trade down and try to find another elite player while picking up another 2nd rounder. Like Fleener is elite.I dont consider Kuechly elite top 10 pick. Pass rusher is more important since we dont have enough.
You might not, but give it a few years and there are probably going to be alot of folks around here saying "We could have Kuechly"....Just like alot say, "We could have had Matthews or Dez"...Kuechly will be well worth a Top 10 pick, and IMO is almost a guaranteed pro-bowler....(barring injury of course....)

Back
Top Bottom