Soccor Sucks?? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Soccor Sucks??

Originally posted by Trekbiz
It's also a non physical contact sport which many other countries prefer.

Evidently, you've never played soccer my friend. While soccer might not be full of contact like football, and hockey, it's certainly a rough and physical sport. Just because it's not tough like Football means the game is boring?

Look, not liking soccer all my life, I can understand why many Americans don't like soccer, but it truly is a very entertaining sport. I just went to my first soccer game on Wednesday to see the US and Brazil, and it was really intense.

If some people think that soccer players aren't as good of athletes as football players for example, they are deeply mistaken. Do you know how well your body needs to be physically to play for 90 minutes constantly running up and down the field?

I know not everyone likes soccer and I can't change that, but I once didn't like it either until I started getting into some teams.

You know, the main reason why soccer will never be successful in the US is not because people don't like it. It's because it's not marketable. 45 minutes straight without commercials, and then when they do go up, everyone goes to the bathroom or gets something to eat? It would never work here.

[/B][/QUOTE]
Evidently, you've never played soccer my friend. While soccer might not be full of contact like football, and hockey, it's certainly a rough and physical sport. Just because it's not tough like Football means the game is boring?

You guys are missing the point....

Of course there is contact. There is physical contact in baseball as well. There is a HUGE difference between a sport where people run into each other occasionally because of there inertia and a sport where the main objective is planting someone into the ground..... Come on guys. Soccer is NOT a physical contact sport. Is there contact, of course but it isn't a main point of the game.

As for why it's boring..... I just get tired of seeing people jog back and forth, back and forth, back and forth for 10 min. let alone for over an hour. Just my pref. I like a lil more excitement in games.

If some people think that soccer players aren't as good of athletes as football players for example, they are deeply mistaken. Do you know how well your body needs to be physically to play for 90 minutes constantly running up and down the field?

Look, not to take anything away from these guys because of course they are athletes. However, I don't think they are in any more shape than football or Hockey players. These guys aren't all out running for 90 minutes like you make it seem. A lot of the time guys are jogging and quick walking back and forth to areas of the field while only 2-3 players around the ball are running all out. Lets be real with the assessment here. Hockey players have to constantly be skating back and forth which if you've ever done it's a lil more tiring than jogging. Not only do football players need to be in cardio shape but they also have to develop strength. Recievers are constantly running routes for an entire game. I agree that soccer players are athletes but I don't think they are in any better shape than other sports athletes and the game to me is just plain boring.

Again, I believe that soccer is the worlds game because it is simple. Any country can play it by dropping a cocunut onto the ground. Because of this it was easy for it to become the worlds sport. Many countries could never field football, hockey or baseball teams at the youth levels because of equipment costs, so soccer is the only sport that every country can compete in against one another. That is why it has such a feverish following IMO, NOT because the game is so spectacular but because the game is so simple that it can be played on the International level. Come on, can you imagine the excitement American football would create if all the countries fielded teams?
Wow. U.S. V. Russia in the 80's would have made Dolphins V. Jets rivalry look like a High School game! Again, that's just my feeling on it. If you like the game..... great someone has to, just like someone has to watch those bowling tourneys on ESPN as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can enjoy some soccer (like the World Cup) but I understand those that dislike it. The major problem that Americans have with soccer is the same issue they have with hockey and even baseball to a lesser extent (which semi-explains the declining popularity of both sports); these sports just don't score enough. After watching a soccer game for 90 without seeing a goal, an ardent soccer fan would be creaming his pants with excitement because of how thrilling the game is, while the casual American fan would fall asleep.

Secondly I believe that since traditionally, the Americans have not been great at this sport as they are with most other sports, Americans shy away from it. We, as a country, do not like to see ourselves as anything but dominant in any sport we participate. We in turn dislike the sport (in fact we totally ignore the sport) because we traditionally suck at it and cannot compete with Brazil, Argentina France, Spain, Germany etc, who are supposed to be our inferiors athletically. Hopefully, the improving USA team and/or newcomer Freddie Adu can be the catalysts that break this cycle.

Personally, I like soccer but in terms of where it ranks in my list of sports, it would be far behind football, basketball and baseball and just ahead of hockey, tennis, golf, bowling, lacrosse and all the other "sports" ESPN televises.

Of course there is contact. There is physical contact in baseball as well. There is a HUGE difference between a sport where people run into each other occasionally because of there inertia and a sport where the main objective is planting someone into the ground..... Come on guys. Soccer is NOT a physical contact sport. Is there contact, of course but it isn't a main point of the game.

[/B][/QUOTE]

I think you should watch a soccer game and then say the same comments, because you won't be able to. There is a lot of contact in soccer, and it is crucial at many points to getting the ball, stopping the attack, etc. I am sure you would just love to get nailed by a slide tackle in soccer. There are lots of injuries in soccer from stuff like this. People brake bones all of the time. If you look at the American national team, a lot of guys who have recently played for it have gotten serious injuries, most notably Claudio Reyna who missed almost his club teams whole season and is still recovering although he did just start to play, but he is nothing like what he used to be.

Originally posted by Prime Time

Yeah Soccer sucks so much, that it is the World's sport. :rolleyes: It sucks so much that 2 billion people watch the soccer championship and 800 million watch the Super Bowl world wide. Tell me which is the more popular sport.

Okay, let me just say one thing here. The 2 billion people that watch soccer have their own opinion. It is the only thing their country can compete in. So they MUST be in to it. Now my opinion is that it sucks. My grandpa used to watch baseball all the time, don't mean I like it. I couldn't stand it. If soccer was the only sport played here in the US, then people would go nuts, cause it is their only release, and only way to come together. But, it's not the case, other sports are more exciting, espcially football. I can't stand watching guys run back and forth, kicking a ball. It becomes boring as hell.

NOW, you are in the US, AND in a football forum. So yes, general concensus around here is that soccer sucks. Secondly, most if not all people around here could give a crap about who those pics are in your sig. Like others have said, I'd rather watch paint dry.

Originally posted by MarinoFan

Okay, let me just say one thing here. The 2 billion people that watch soccer have their own opinion. It is the only thing their country can compete in. So they MUST be in to it. Now my opinion is that it sucks. My grandpa used to watch baseball all the time, don't mean I like it. I couldn't stand it. If soccer was the only sport played here in the US, then people would go nuts, cause it is their only release, and only way to come together. But, it's not the case, other sports are more exciting, espcially football. I can't stand watching guys run back and forth, kicking a ball. It becomes boring as hell.

Actually, you are wrong. Every country except for the USA, Canada, Venezuela, and some Caribbean nations are big on soccer. Lets look at some of soccer's powers.

Brazil
Germany
England

Brazil is very good at volleyball, Germany is good at a lot of Olympic sports, and England is good at cricket and rugby. See, not every big soccer nation has soccer as their only sport. These nations are good at a bunch of other things as well. Just because a sport isn't big in America doesn't mean it sucks. I bet that if the USA won a World Cup, everyone would go crazy for soccer. However, we haven't, so we don't. We are an improving soccer nation, and I say we are top 15 in the world, but some people here just don't care.

How can you say Soccer is a non-contact sport first of all?

Secondly, other countries play alot of other sports. Argentina a top team in the Soccer World is also good at Basketball. They beat the USA a year or so ago in a tournament or something.

Thirdly, all you guys that say "I'd rather watch paint dry" because Soccer is so boring, since you get tired of seeing guys run up the field 10 mins. :rolleyes: Then what the hell is the difference between that theory on soccer then on Football? What do you do in Football....run up the field and down the field...no difference. Same thing except you are holding a ball instead of kicking/dribbling a ball.

And finally, American Football players use their "hands" 95% of the time and they call the game "Football"? :lol: That is very funny. Soccer is the real Football because they are actually using their feet more than 2 minutes a game. Isn't it funny how they stole our name? :lol: I think so.

Originally posted by iceblizzard69

I think you should watch a soccer game and then say the same comments, because you won't be able to. There is a lot of contact in soccer, and it is crucial at many points to getting the ball, stopping the attack, etc. I am sure you would just love to get nailed by a slide tackle in soccer. There are lots of injuries in soccer from stuff like this. People brake bones all of the time. If you look at the American national team, a lot of guys who have recently played for it have gotten serious injuries, most notably Claudio Reyna who missed almost his club teams whole season and is still recovering although he did just start to play, but he is nothing like what he used to be. [/B][/QUOTE]

For some reason, all of you that love soccer think that anyone who dosen't like it just haven't seen or played it.

I have done both. Hated watching and playing it. It was BORING to me on both accounts compared to playing and watching other sports.

This physical thing is getting hilarious however.
Yeah, a slide tackle..... no different than a baseball player sliding into 2nd base. Would you rather take a slide tackle in soccer or a head on collision from Ray Lewis or Zach Thomas. PLEASE!
I'll take my chances with the slide tackle.

Again, as I said in a previous post, I know there is incidental contact and it can be rough due to the inertia of the player BUT the point isn't to hit the player. If the contact isn't directed towards the ball it's illegal. There is no comparison here.

Are you seriously going to compare the contact in soccer to the contact in football or hockey? If so..... :roflmao:

[/B][/QUOTE]
How can you say Soccer is a non-contact sport first of all?

Again please see previous posts.... it's a pretty simple explanation.

Secondly, other countries play alot of other sports. Argentina a top team in the Soccer World is also good at Basketball. They beat the USA a year or so ago in a tournament or something.

??? What's your point here? I didn't say countries that play soccer only play soccer. The debate started with you ringing the praises of why soccer is the best sport. I was just countering with contrasting reasons to yours as to why I believe soccer is the biggest sport in the world. Brazil mostly a soccer country as well but are great in Basketball and fantastic in volleyball. That dosen't have anything to do with this discussion though. :confused:

Thirdly, all you guys that say "I'd rather watch paint dry" because Soccer is so boring, since you get tired of seeing guys run up the field 10 mins. :rolleyes: Then what the hell is the difference between that theory on soccer then on Football? What do you do in Football....run up the field and down the field...no difference.

This is getting better and better.
What is the difference?

Every guy on the field, every snap of the ball is simultaneously involved in a physical battle. There is fast paced action on every part of the field every play. Football players don't just run up and down the field back and forth on the whim of a bouncing ball. Every position battles. Some of the best hits are never even seen because they aren't near where the ball is.

I would say that is a pretty big difference.

Look at any point on a soccer field away from the ball and you'll see people standing of jogging back and forth between certain field positions waiting and waiting for the ball to get near them.
IMO, You could watch a foosball table game in your local bar and see the same action.
Little men attatched to a pole moving back and forth between postions on a playing field waiting for the ball to bounce their way.

I'm not saying soccer is a crap sport or that it sucks.
I'm just saying that I think it is a simple, less complicated and less exciting sport than football. I prefer hockey, baseball, basketball and beach volleyball over it as well. JMO.

Again please see previous posts.... it's a pretty simple explanation.

??? What's your point here? I didn't say countries that play soccer only play soccer. The debate started with you ringing the praises of why soccer is the best sport. I was just countering with contrasting reasons to yours as to why I believe soccer is the biggest sport in the world. Brazil mostly a soccer country as well but are great in Basketball and fantastic in volleyball. That dosen't have anything to do with this discussion though. :confused:

This is getting better and better.
What is the difference?

Every guy on the field, every snap of the ball is simultaneously involved in a physical battle. There is fast paced action on every part of the field every play. Football players don't just run up and down the field back and forth on the whim of a bouncing ball. Every position battles. Some of the best hits are never even seen because they aren't near where the ball is.

I would say that is a pretty big difference.

Look at any point on a soccer field away from the ball and you'll see people standing of jogging back and forth between certain field positions waiting and waiting for the ball to get near them.
IMO, You could watch a foosball table game in your local bar and see the same action.
Little men attatched to a pole moving back and forth between postions on a playing field waiting for the ball to bounce their way.

I'm not saying soccer is a crap sport or that it sucks.
I'm just saying that I think it is a simple, less complicated and less exciting sport than football. I prefer hockey, baseball, basketball and beach volleyball over it as well. JMO. [/B][/QUOTE]

Comparing a slide tackle to a slide in baseball just shows that you have no idea what you are talking about. I am not going to discuss this with someone who seems to know absolutely nothing about soccer. Slide tackles hurt like a bitch, and cause broken bones, torn ACLs, etc.

Does soccer have as much contact as football? No, but no other sport does either.

TrekBiz the thing I said about Argentina being good at Basketball was for Marino fan who said

"Okay, let me just say one thing here. The 2 billion people that watch soccer have their own opinion. It is the only thing their country can compete in. So they MUST be in to it."

Anyway, go to a World Cup Game and go to a Super Bowl....I can bet any amount of money there will be more passion in the World Cup game. How can you say American Handball is more exciting then the World's Sport Football....if after every play American Handball stops. Come on man get a better arguement here. I mean every second of soccer is exciting because it can always lead to a goal. Handball on the other hand, has one play....stops, lets huddle up. You call that exciting?

BTW, in all other countries, during Preliminaries...if your country loses that week or month's game...you don't speak for a day or two (like me and My family have done today since USA lsot yesterday) because of the dissapointment. If you lose in American Handball you say oh well, we will win next week. Even if you are saddened the emotion from the people is not the same as the ones for Football (The World's Sport).

Originally posted by iceblizzard69

Does soccer have as much contact as football? No, but no other sport does either.

Hockey is close and Rugby is even closer....

Originally posted by Prime Time
T

Anyway, go to a World Cup Game and go to a Super Bowl....I can bet any amount of money there will be more passion in the World Cup game.

Of course there will be because the match is representing the fans country rather than single cities within a country. It isn't because the sport is SOOO exciting IMO, it is because this sport is the only one that can be played competitively on a global scale. If you've ever been to an olympics even the badmitton tourneys have people cheering and waving flags with painted faces. Why? Because badmitton is an incredibly exciting sport? No, because that team is a competitive representation of a fans country.

How can you say American Handball is more exciting then the World's Sport Football....if after every play American Handball stops. Come on man get a better arguement here. I mean every second of soccer is exciting because it can always lead to a goal. Handball on the other hand, has one play....stops, lets huddle up. ?

First off, I don't follow your argument at all.
Every second of soccer is exciting....? I guess some people feel jogging in place is exciting because that is what the majority of the players do throughout a soccer match waiting and waiting for the little ball to roll into their designated section of the field.

"Every second of soccer can lead to a goal.......?"
So why doesn't it ever?
:lol:

If you think every play can't lead to a score in football then apparently you never watched Marino, Favre, Elway, Vick, etc. play QB or Ricky Williams play RB.

You call that exciting?

If in fact you feel that way about American football why on earth do you follow the Fins and spend so much time on this board talking football if it isn't an exciting sport????

:hitself:

Back
Top Bottom