Soccor Sucks?? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Soccor Sucks??

Originally posted by Prime Time
And finally, American Football players use their "hands" 95% of the time and they call the game "Football"? :lol: That is very funny. Soccer is the real Football because they are actually using their feet more than 2 minutes a game. Isn't it funny how they stole our name? :lol: I think so.

Stole our name? Who are you? Joe Futbol or something? Futbol is actually an international word that derives itself from two English words, foot and ball (neither fut nor bol was used in any other language prior to the naming of the sport). As the story goes, latins were playing the game Americans know as soccer when American missionaries gave them balls similar to the standard soccer ball, as a replacement for a hollowed out melon that they had been using before. The missionaries then taught them how to say the word "ball" while also teaching them other english words, including the word "foot". So, in essence, the term football has actually been stolen from Americans. I shouldn't have even bothered typing all that stuff though, b/c that point is completely irrelevant in this discussion, anyway.

I mean every second of soccer is exciting because it can always lead to a goal. Handball on the other hand, has one play....stops, lets huddle up. You call that exciting?

Every second of soccer being exciting?? Man you are really going overboard here. Yeah there are exciting moments...but watching a team who is up 1-0 or 2-0 play keep away right around midfield or watching a game where after 15 minutes you realize that there has only been 3 shots on goal by BOTH TEAMS...these parts of the game make you more drowsy than 4 cups of Nyqil and warm milk. These "sleeping pill parts" of the game seem to be IMO much more frequent than the exciting moments of the game. Sorry, but your description of soccer is the complete opposite of mine.

Football is a woman's rugby/

Football is women's rugby??? Its cool to have a discussion about different sports and everything, but isn't a little stupid to criticize a sport you must like at least a little (judging by your 4000+ posts and your 16+ posts per day)? Either way, to resort to juvenile name calling directed at any sport might be a reason for others not to take any of your future posts seriously. Say "football sucks b/c..." or "soccer is better than footbal b/c..." next time. Just don't call it "women's rugby"....that nickname is set aside for the other futbol. :evil:

Franco, if you hate football so much (which it sounds like from what you post), then don't watch the sport. No one is forcing you.

Trekbiz, soccer has lots of drama. There are lots of moments that make your heart beat like crazy. When there is a corner kick, free kick, when the team is going down the field, etc. There may not be that many goals, but every time a team goes down the field there is a good chance. One reason why I don't like hockey is because there are too many saves and you can't even see the goals. In soccer, the save percentages are a lot lower, the field is more spread out, and there are no stoppages. Does it get boring at times? Sure, but that happens in almost every sport except for football. However, I would say most of a soccer game brings a lot of excitement and gets your heart racing, and that is why I like and watch the sport.

I dont think so, since football has more pads people hit harder and will run into their opponent full speed. Ive played rugby and I play football, I am much more sore after a football game. In rugby you will get more cuts but in football your body takes a bigger beating.

The pads in football actually make the hit feel harder because it adds weight and they aren't soft at all.

Originally posted by iceblizzard69
Franco, if you hate football so much (which it sounds like from what you post), then don't watch the sport. No one is forcing you.

Trekbiz, soccer has lots of drama. There are lots of moments that make your heart beat like crazy. When there is a corner kick, free kick, when the team is going down the field, etc. There may not be that many goals, but every time a team goes down the field there is a good chance. One reason why I don't like hockey is because there are too many saves and you can't even see the goals. In soccer, the save percentages are a lot lower, the field is more spread out, and there are no stoppages. Does it get boring at times? Sure, but that happens in almost every sport except for football. However, I would say most of a soccer game brings a lot of excitement and gets your heart racing, and that is why I like and watch the sport.

Hey, I'm not saying soccer is a bad sport and that it dosen't bring a lot of enjoyment to many. Of course the sport requires talent and many of the athletes are phenomenal at what they do.
I was just taking on this guy who seems to think that anyone who dosen't think soccer is the best sport that they are crazy. According to him soccer is everything and soccer players are the toughest, most in shape, fastest, most invinsible players on earth. :lol:

That's the only reason I've carried on like this.

To me soccer dosen't hold a candle to American football. I also believe that if every country had the ability to field American football with the proper support and youth organizations like soccer has had for much longer than American football, soccer would eventually end up a secondary sport to American football like baseball has here. But that's just my opinion.

To all who like soccer, hey, cool. I just don't like someone coming onto a football board telling me how much my sport sucks supposedly.

It's been great for a good laugh though.

Last edited by a moderator:

You've lost whatever credibility you had in this argument.

:lol:

I doubt any soccer player could take one good hit in football without running home to mommy. Only someone like that would make the above remark. If you think it's such a woman's sport why don't you join a youth league and dominate it tough guy.

Bottom line is that you could take players out of the NFL that could PHYSICALLY equal any of the soccer players at what they do. Now I'm saying physically, not skill wise because obviously no football players have world cup skills at soccer. But physically, these "wimps" as you have claimed could hang with any soccer player you bring to the table.

On the contrary, I challenge you to tell me the name of just ONE soccer player who could physically match up with any players in the NFL BESIDES a kicker. They would be road kill in an instant.

Not one guy could compare...... so if in fact NFL players are playing a "womans" game and any skill position NFL player could outmatch the physical prowess of any soccer player...... What does that make a soccer player...... like a little girl????

If you like soccer thats fine but your not going to win any argument in that soccer players are tougher than football players.... that is absurd.

Tony Meola is one guy. This thread bores me now...Training Camp has started for God's sake!

Originally posted by Trekbiz

Hey, I'm not saying soccer is a bad sport and that it dosen't bring a lot of enjoyment to many. Of course the sport requires talent and many of the athletes are phenomenal at what they do.
I was just taking on this guy who seems to think that anyone who dosen't think soccer is the best sport that they are crazy. According to him soccer is everything and soccer players are the toughest, most in shape, fastest, most invinsible players on earth. :lol:

That's the only reason I've carried on like this.

To me soccer dosen't hold a candle to American football. I also believe that if every country had the ability to field American football with the proper support and youth organizations like soccer has had for much longer than American football, soccer would eventually end up a secondary sport to American football like baseball has here. But that's just my opinion.

To all who like soccer, hey, cool. I just don't like someone coming onto a football board telling me how much my sport sucks supposedly.

It's been great for a good laugh though.

You are totally wrong about the american football thing in other countries. I have been to Europe, and people there don't like the sport, plain and simple. Most people there thing it is a dull game, just like how many Americans think of soccer. They have NFLE in Europe and no one really cares. Soccer would never become secondary to Football in Europe, Europeans love, just love, their soccer and not football, but that is their opinion and it will never change. People like sports part of their culture, which is why Americans love football, Canadians love hockey, and Europeans love soccer.

In soccer and football, players have to be "in shape." However, in soccer, all players have to be in shape in a certain way. They need to be relatively thin with great endurance and great leg strength, while good upper body strength is also important but a bunch of players don't have it and do fine. In football, players need to be in shape in other ways and it depends on their position, but we don't need to go into that.

A football player could not go into soccer and be good, and a soccer player could not go into football and be good. If each went into the other sport, they would be terrible. The sports require different strengths and besides a soccer player coming to be an NFL kicker or punter these players don't have the strengths nor the experience to be successful in the other sport.

People have their rights to love and hate different sports. If you don't like soccer, thats cool, there are sports like hockey which I don't like as well.

On a side note, I have gone into a forum for a soccer team in Europe and there was an American football thread, but for the most part no one was interested in it, however, a few did know and watched the sport. We have European posters here, but the sport is not popular there at all, and the growth of it there isn't as big as the growth of it here, plus there seems to be NO interest in playing the sport there.

I love football a lot more than soccer, but I think there is no chance of football ever becoming popular in Europe while there is a chance of soccer becoming popular in the USA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by iceblizzard69

In soccer and football, players have to be "in shape." However, in soccer, all players have to be in shape in a certain way. They need to be relatively thin with great endurance and great leg strength, while good upper body strength is also important but a bunch of players don't have it and do fine. In football, players need to be in shape in other ways and it depends on their position, but we don't need to go into that.

A football player could not go into soccer and be good, and a soccer player could not go into football and be good. If each went into the other sport, they would be terrible. The sports require different strengths and besides a soccer player coming to be an NFL kicker or punter these players don't have the strengths nor the experience to be successful in the other sport.

I understand your point that neither could switch sports and play well.

My point simply was on toughness. The subject prime time brought up specifically.

The point was that a football player could line up on a soccer field and run up and down the field with the best of them. He wouldn't play well but he would'nt collapse because he could'nt take it physically.

However, a soccer player would'nt last 5 plays if you put him in the middle of a football field. An ambulance would be needed upon the first hit.

I don't think there can be any debate on that one.
Toughness, American football players win hands down.
Don't agree Prime Time?
Go pad up for your high school football team. Take a weeks worth of hits and tell me how you feel.... if you can still talk by then.

We just had alot of debate on these topics in a thread posted "Bragging Rights" where the bottom line is everyone has their own opinion on who's tougher, who's in better shape, who watches which sport more,etc. IMO, football is still one of the two hardest sports to get in shape for. The other one is boxing. Like I've said before, I played varsity football(defense) and I played soccer before that. I also trained in Warrior's Gym using boxing as way of getting in shape and Soccer DOES NOT come any where close to either one.

Originally posted by Trekbiz

The point was that a football player could line up on a soccer field and run up and down the field with the best of them. He wouldn't play well but he would'nt collapse because he could'nt take it physically.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You crack me up! Seriously man. That is a good one. Are you saying that Larry Chester could constantly run up and down the pitch for 45 minutes in a row? Or a linebacker?

Maybe a few of the really in shape receivers or cornerbacks who have incredible endurance could do it, but that is it.

As for soccer players, you are right, most if not all would not last on a football field, but the same works the other way around as well.

Ice you are killing them out there man!!! :lol:

Oh and BTW I was on the JV team for about 1 month and took some hits then I quit to go for soccer.

Back
Top Bottom